The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unkillable tank groups

doslekis
doslekis
✭✭✭
Seems that since morrowind there has been an influx of these 2-3 man tank groups siting outside keeps tanking groups of 10-15 ppl for over 5 even 10 minutes.

They kill one or two every once in a while with their ultimates but most of the time they have a bomb buddy or two waiting nearby to come in and wipe everyone out.

I'm not one to cry nerf but this is getting excessive, Alessia bridge is always packed with these goons. I usually don't even try and fight but a lot of ppl jump in and lose track of the objective.

Anyone have any tips on how to take down these bad boys? Bombs work half the time, and they must be using immovable pots or something because cc doesn't seem to phase them.

Can't be mad because it really is a good strategy especially when they have a bomb waiting nearby, just wish I ha a way to take them down.
I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave them alone? Lol.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will always be a group of potatoes willing to spend their entire night fighting groups like that. This is a good thing, it prevents these tanky groups from getting bored and being a nuisance somewhere else on the map. The fact that you are questioning it means you're ready to grow out of spudhood and move to better objectives. Extract yourself from the pack, thank them for sacrificing themselves to the cause, and ask in zone for a group of like minded individuals.

Also, There's another bridge, use it instead.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.

I've got one of these unkillable tank builds, and they are great for trolling in PvP, which is what I use it for. As a user of a Tank like that, I can honestly say I have more fun in Cyro on my Tank than any other toon atm. So while you might not be having much fun trying to kill me, I'm probably snorting coffee out of my nose through laughter. Picture that!

Next time you see one of those indestructible, just think about the guy/girl on the other end. Send em a /tell ask them about their build and if they are enjoying it. I'll bet you'll get some positive feedback.

For me, builds like that, someone has thought about, put some time into, these are the kind of off builds that are off the radar for most people, and personally, I prefer them much more than meta <insert BiS gear and hit the WIN button> builds.

I hear what you are saying, I'm understanding your frustration, even if as you say you aren't mad, it's annoying right? Roll one yourself, it's pretty funny stuff. Nothing like having someone 1v1 you and not make a dent, drop an ulti on you, and you give them a /sick emote back. Love that!

Wasting 5-10 minutes of a known good players time, when they could be earning serious AP but there Ego has got the better of them, and they just have to prove to themselves that they can kill you. Only to find 10 minutes later, that they can't. so they jump on their mount and bugger off. Priceless!

The diversity of builds like that in Cyro, IMO is much better than the usual cheese builds like Vipers/Selene etc. ZOS have said play as you want, and you can, the diveristy of builds with the CP system, gear available with new sets coming through all the time, really, the only thing limiting what you can do is your imagination.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »

I've got one of these unkillable tank builds, and they are great for trolling in PvP, which is what I use it for. As a user of a Tank like that, I can honestly say I have more fun in Cyro on my Tank than any other toon atm. So while you might not be having much fun trying to kill me, I'm probably snorting coffee out of my nose through laughter. Picture that!

Next time you see one of those indestructible, just think about the guy/girl on the other end. Send em a /tell ask them about their build and if they are enjoying it. I'll bet you'll get some positive feedback.

For me, builds like that, someone has thought about, put some time into, these are the kind of off builds that are off the radar for most people, and personally, I prefer them much more than meta <insert BiS gear and hit the WIN button> builds.

I hear what you are saying, I'm understanding your frustration, even if as you say you aren't mad, it's annoying right? Roll one yourself, it's pretty funny stuff. Nothing like having someone 1v1 you and not make a dent, drop an ulti on you, and you give them a /sick emote back. Love that!

Wasting 5-10 minutes of a known good players time, when they could be earning serious AP but there Ego has got the better of them, and they just have to prove to themselves that they can kill you. Only to find 10 minutes later, that they can't. so they jump on their mount and bugger off. Priceless!

The diversity of builds like that in Cyro, IMO is much better than the usual cheese builds like Vipers/Selene etc. ZOS have said play as you want, and you can, the diveristy of builds with the CP system, gear available with new sets coming through all the time, really, the only thing limiting what you can do is your imagination.

I don't understand people like you. Isn't more satisfying to l2p and kill the "known good player"?

Anyway on PS4 EU 80% of EP plays that way,it's so annoying,and how to counter those scrubs depends on your class:
    As a warden use the AoE defile while spamming healing ulti on your group
    Nightblade fear spam
    Sorc curse/negate (way better than destro ulti,they easily heal through)
    Templar just put purifying/pol on everyone
    Dk talons/go away if stam
  • Rudens
    Rudens
    ✭✭
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    I don't understand people like you. Isn't more satisfying to l2p and kill the "known good player"?

What do you mean by l2p? He doesn't say in his post, that he cannot kill those players at all. He said that this specific character is made to counter PEW PEW builds that everyone is running thinking about how great PvP'ers they are, when half of their damage is from procs and not actual skill. If i wanted to kill them, I'll just log on NB or Sorc and go PEW PEW them myself.

Also, same logic could be applied to healers - like WTF why are you healing people and not just run and PEW PEW everyone - l2p you healing noobs.

I totally agree kijima - there is no better felling, than wasting PEW PEW kings time only to frustrate them to the point they run away. It's war and one of best tactics in it is distraction. It's not my fault all the lemming wanna show me "my place" and get distrcted from my team taking objectives and wasting their own time. They are grown people (I guess) - it's their decision to waste it, not mine.

Also, one of the best feelings is running with a group and just smashing into enemy. Half of people don't see anything past 5 meters before them, so they will try to kill you, while the rest of your group picks them apart.

• Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rudens wrote: »

What do you mean by l2p? He doesn't say in his post, that he cannot kill those players at all. He said that this specific character is made to counter PEW PEW builds that everyone is running thinking about how great PvP'ers they are, when half of their damage is from procs and not actual skill. If i wanted to kill them, I'll just log on NB or Sorc and go PEW PEW them myself.

Also, same logic could be applied to healers - like WTF why are you healing people and not just run and PEW PEW everyone - l2p you healing noobs.

I totally agree kijima - there is no better felling, than wasting PEW PEW kings time only to frustrate them to the point they run away. It's war and one of best tactics in it is distraction. It's not my fault all the lemming wanna show me "my place" and get distrcted from my team taking objectives and wasting their own time. They are grown people (I guess) - it's their decision to waste it, not mine.

Also, one of the best feelings is running with a group and just smashing into enemy. Half of people don't see anything past 5 meters before them, so they will try to kill you, while the rest of your group picks them apart.

Healers have a role: a good healer is a good healer,nice resource management,ult timing etc. I've seen a lot of good players switch to their healers if needed and they still are good players. Meanwhile I've never seen a good player switch to a super tanky build,why distract people when you can kill them? And just lowbies will hammer you,most of people who know how to PvP will kill your team and then tbag you while you heavy attack them for 1,2k damage. And I love how process set are the 2k17 excuses: if you wear tanky sets is your armor doing the jobs while you hold block.
    I really don't understand what's funny on holding a button while your team does the job for you
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    be happy, when they just are tanky. If there 3 offtanks with knightslayerbuild, they able to kill all 3sec 1 of you and you cant do anything :o
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Rudens
    Rudens
    ✭✭
    Healers have a role

See here? It might surprise you but tanks also have a role. It's not DPS and healers and thats it - no more roles - there's one you forgot.

Meanwhile I've never seen a good player switch to a super tanky build,why distract people when you can kill them?

I already answered you in previous post. This is not Counter strike or Call of duty, where only kills matter - this is faction WARfare. Notice emphasis on war. My primary goal is objectives and , if my actions contribute to that, then I'm doing what I'm supposed to do.

Also, fact that you havent seen a good player doing that speaks more about you, than about the ones tanking. If you would just step away from kill=most important mentality, you would see that.

And I love how process set are the 2k17 excuses: if you wear tanky sets is your armor doing the jobs while you hold block.
    I really don't understand what's funny on holding a button while your team does the job for you

Here i kinda agree - if you hold one button - you are a bad tank. Real tank is there to CC and grab attention, not just stand and block. I cannot change those players, I can only speak for myself and my roation actually makes me work harder than my Sorc (not NB though).

That aside - it was not an excuse - I do not need an excuse to play the way I want - I play that way, because I like it. It's actually proctards who keep insisting that they need free damage, because they cannot get through shields and they cannot kill stuff without it.

And once again, if you only see this game as kill=most important thing, then it's your problem, not mine. And i will gladly watch people like you try to kill me time and time again while my team takes everything from you.

• Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healers have a role

See here? It might surprise you but tanks also have a role. It's not DPS and healers and thats it - no more roles - there's one you forgot.

Meanwhile I've never seen a good player switch to a super tanky build,why distract people when you can kill them?

I already answered you in previous post. This is not Counter strike or Call of duty, where only kills matter - this is faction WARfare. Notice emphasis on war. My primary goal is objectives and , if my actions contribute to that, then I'm doing what I'm supposed to do.

Also, fact that you havent seen a good player doing that speaks more about you, than about the ones tanking. If you would just step away from kill=most important mentality, you would see that.

And I love how process set are the 2k17 excuses: if you wear tanky sets is your armor doing the jobs while you hold block.

Here i kinda agree - if you hold one button - you are a bad tank. Real tank is there to CC and grab attention, not just stand and block. I cannot change those players, I can only speak for myself and my roation actually makes me work harder than my Sorc (not NB though).

That aside - it was not an excuse - I do not need an excuse to play the way I want - I play that way, because I like it. It's actually proctards who keep insisting that they need free damage, because they cannot get through shields and they cannot kill stuff without it.

And once again, if you only see this game as kill=most important thing, then it's your problem, not mine. And i will gladly watch people like you try to kill me time and time again while my team takes everything from you.

You will never see people like me trying to kill you while your group is alive,and most of the time I'm screaming at my group to ignore people like you, and they do it. Yes,it's not just about killing but that's how you win a war,also a good player doesn't need to build full tank to survive: shield ulti,magma armor,templars healing ult,wardens healing ults are just few of your option of surviving without being nearly useless.
    Going full tank is just the easiest way,that's why I say l2p,because a good player playing defensively can survive just like a 80k tank while destroying people when going on the offensive
  • Rudens
    Rudens
    ✭✭
    Yes,it's not just about killing but that's how you win a war

We could end conversation on this. You win War by capturing objectives, you win battles by killing people. A won battle=/= won War. If you kill me and my group halfway on the road to Roe, while the rest of my team takes the castle - you won a battle and lost a war.

also a good player doesn't need to build full tank to survive

Yes, he doesn't NEED to. I don't need to go full tank for you to not be able to kill me. That's the thing you refuse to accept - your own tunnel vision. You only see roles as they are written in stone. Like I said - i go CC AND i survive while doing this.

But (and like John Snows father told him - everything before "But" is ***) - who the hell are you to determine what constitutes a good player? Even in full tank those people are doing their job - you keep seeing things only with kill=most important thing mentality and not seeing full picture of warfare. If full tank can keep people from repairing walls, while his group regroups and goes for second assault - he's doing his job and contributing to the war.
    Going full tank is just the easiest way,that's why I say l2p,because a good player playing defensively can survive just like a 80k tank while destroying people when going on the offensive

Going full tank is easiest way... to survive. Going MagSorc is easiest way to play altogether in my eyes. So, which one of us is right? Or maybe it matters, if we look from perspective of roles? If I'm going tank (and GOD save your soul if you again don't read about CC and control of battlefield), then why shouldn't I build for survivig? Do you ask Healers do damage like you? Or Dps to tank all the incoming damage from a group you just engaged?

I personally prefer to be on the frontline, being a wall between my team and incoming damage, and snaring people and stunning people for my group to finish them off. And that is my role in that situation and yes, going tank is the only way I can do that.

You seem to think, that you are the one, who chooses the right way to play for everyone and that you decide, who is a good player and who is not. That is not so and I really hope you are on the opposite side - I would rather have people like you being my enemy, than on a friendly side.
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes,it's not just about killing but that's how you win a war

We could end conversation on this. You win War by capturing objectives, you win battles by killing people. A won battle=/= won War. If you kill me and my group halfway on the road to Roe, while the rest of my team takes the castle - you won a battle and lost a war.

also a good player doesn't need to build full tank to survive

Yes, he doesn't NEED to. I don't need to go full tank for you to not be able to kill me. That's the thing you refuse to accept - your own tunnel vision. You only see roles as they are written in stone. Like I said - i go CC AND i survive while doing this.

But (and like John Snows father told him - everything before "But" is ***) - who the hell are you to determine what constitutes a good player? Even in full tank those people are doing their job - you keep seeing things only with kill=most important thing mentality and not seeing full picture of warfare. If full tank can keep people from repairing walls, while his group regroups and goes for second assault - he's doing his job and contributing to the war.

Going full tank is easiest way... to survive. Going MagSorc is easiest way to play altogether in my eyes. So, which one of us is right? Or maybe it matters, if we look from perspective of roles? If I'm going tank (and GOD save your soul if you again don't read about CC and control of battlefield), then why shouldn't I build for survivig? Do you ask Healers do damage like you? Or Dps to tank all the incoming damage from a group you just engaged?

I personally prefer to be on the frontline, being a wall between my team and incoming damage, and snaring people and stunning people for my group to finish them off. And that is my role in that situation and yes, going tank is the only way I can do that.

You seem to think, that you are the one, who chooses the right way to play for everyone and that you decide, who is a good player and who is not. That is not so and I really hope you are on the opposite side - I would rather have people like you being my enemy, than on a friendly side.

Soooo

1: If i see swords and i need to rush to a castle i just avoid them(it's pretty basic and everyone who spent more then 10 hours in pvp will do that)while you're waiting there leaving half of your group alone at roebeck.

2:Thats the point: you go cc and survive while i prefer having someone who goes cc,survive and deal damage (hello offtanks). Also a good group play with Retreating maneuver,purge and whatnot. You stun people? Wow,everyone can do that with a Leap,a Meteor or tons of other things while doing damage AND surviving.

3:If you invest more time in learning mechanics,sets and timing you'll find that doing damage,cc and surviving is someting possible. Full tank builds are like the proc set: an easier way to achieve something that requires motivation and time,while being less effective.

4: With no aggro mechanics on players i highly doubt you are a wall between enemies and your team,most likely a 3 seconds nuisance (just the time to realize you're not dangerous)

5:You keep saying i'm a dps,but i never said that. Im playing a stam warden who can heal 5k+ aoe with soothing spores every second,using healing ult almost like a spammable while oneshotting squishy offguard targets. You see?utility,damage and survivabiliy.

6: Also,im not one of the best player here,never thought someting like that,but i know how pvp works and im the pvp officer of my guild (leading a group of around 24 people on pvp night but most of the time 10-15 people), so after months of people asking for build,tips,etc i cry inside myself every time i see a full tank

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyway on PS4 EU 80% of EP plays that way,it's so annoying,and how to counter those scrubs depends on your class:
    Nightblade fear spam

@Ocelot9x stop being so blinded by what's last pissed you off. People moan about EP all being MagDKs, next day it's all Templar tanks, next day it's ProcBlades etc.

• Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭

Nightblade fear spam

@Ocelot9x stop being so blinded by what's last pissed you off. People moan about EP all being MagDKs, next day it's all Templar tanks, next day it's ProcBlades etc.

Man,you know it's true,and EP is the faction with less procblades so don't assume things just because you're one of them magdk/magtemp :D
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nightblade fear spam

Man,you know it's true,and EP is the faction with less procblades so don't assume things just because you're one of them magdk/magtemp :D
    I've been a StamWarden since Morrowind...
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    And before? Anyway if you play on daily basis you know that guilds like red legion or dragonguards runs those kind of builds (with the second a bit more focused on damage)
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And before? Anyway if you play on daily basis you know that guilds like red legion or dragonguards runs those kind of builds (with the second a bit more focused on damage)
    Before I was MagNB, then back to my old StamNB and then most recently before the patch tried to learn MagSorc.

Yeah, there are MagDKs and MagTemps in those guilds but it's the same with all factions whether it's large or small scale.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Threads complaining about tanks in cyrodiil prove that they have a meaningful role.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • AAbrigo
    AAbrigo
    ✭✭✭
    Before I was MagNB, then back to my old StamNB and then most recently before the patch tried to learn MagSorc.

Yeah, there are MagDKs and MagTemps in those guilds but it's the same with all factions whether it's large or small scale.

EP is a big bunch of magdk's on ps4 eu.. Ofc there are all other characters, but magdk stands out.
  • Comfortably_Buzzed
    doslekis wrote: »
    Seems that since morrowind there has been an influx of these 2-3 man tank groups siting outside keeps tanking groups of 10-15 ppl for over 5 even 10 minutes.

They kill one or two every once in a while with their ultimates but most of the time they have a bomb buddy or two waiting nearby to come in and wipe everyone out.

I'm not one to cry nerf but this is getting excessive, Alessia bridge is always packed with these goons. I usually don't even try and fight but a lot of ppl jump in and lose track of the objective.

Anyone have any tips on how to take down these bad boys? Bombs work half the time, and they must be using immovable pots or something because cc doesn't seem to phase them.

Can't be mad because it really is a good strategy especially when they have a bomb waiting nearby, just wish I ha a way to take them down.

Either ignore them or bomb them with siege.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they've distracted a group for more than 20 seconds, they've done their jobs. They don't play for your Good-Player stamp of approval. Same with ball groups farming resources. They're doing it because other players keep coming to them.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Those are bad players that exploit an overpowered skill. Be thankful they are trash.

To combat them, root them over and over. When you notice them not breaking roots anymore, they are probably out of excessive stam. That's when you drop negates, destro ult and siege on them. Crushes them like the trash they are.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Distraction players are an interesting breed. On the one hand they help teach new pvpers when not to fight. But at the same time the distraction players are taking up slots that could arguably be better used. Their whole strategy revolves around the enemy taking the bait suffering from tunnel vision and continually doing the wrong thing. If the server was entirely made up of veteran players they would die of boredom.

That said, there are times when distractions can be huge in taking objectives. But its usually not camping a resource, a bridge or gate.

I have ignored countless distractions that have had absolutely no effect on the map. Those distractions are the annoying ones because its like a dolmen grind, they have their own motiations, Cyrodiil clearly doesnt matter to them, its just the one place where they can open world battlegrounds. If there were no population caps people wouldnt mind so much, but when your alliance is losing home keeps and you see resources in your color at the enemies gates...its annoying. Distracting the trash players while the good ones take your keeps is loser strategy.
    [DC/NA]
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    Distraction players are an interesting breed. On the one hand they help teach new pvpers when not to fight. But at the same time the distraction players are taking up slots that could arguably be better used. Their whole strategy revolves around the enemy taking the bait suffering from tunnel vision and continually doing the wrong thing. If the server was entirely made up of veteran players they would die of boredom.

That said, there are times when distractions can be huge in taking objectives. But its usually not camping a resource, a bridge or gate.

I have ignored countless distractions that have had absolutely no effect on the map. Those distractions are the annoying ones because its like a dolmen grind, they have their own motiations, Cyrodiil clearly doesnt matter to them, its just the one place where they can open world battlegrounds. If there were no population caps people wouldnt mind so much, but when your alliance is losing home keeps and you see resources in your color at the enemies gates...its annoying. Distracting the trash players while the good ones take your keeps is loser strategy.

Sadly, not caring about the map, not caring about faction loyalty and not caring about objectives is the fashionable "I'm a vet player" mentality nowadays.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kijima just curious, you make AP on that build?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a good way to get laughs basically

dont get triggered by kijima he basically gave you the solution. if you pay attention while you pvp you know instantly who is built to tank and if you take your game knowledge deeper you can easily identify exactly how they achieved that tankiness

if you have a way to counter the specific way they decided to be tanky you kill them, easy
    if you do not, you move on
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tank I run ins't just for PvP trolling, I use it in for 4 mans dungeons and that kind of things, so it earns me undaunted keys along with AP.

Does it net me AP? Yes, but not in the same way my sorc will just run around in a satisfying killing people kinda way, with my sorc I feel like I'm contributing, for my tank, I used to feel as I'm not contributing, but then, I got to realize that wasting a good players time, when he could be killing lots of my alliance members and making AP, and helping the map change colour, is indirectly making a big difference.

I use my Tank for it's strengths. Capturing resources is good for AP, and with her, I can walk over to the middle of the flag on a resource and stand there, agro everyone while one other DPS player (random or otherwise) can burn it down. Castle defence is another AP gain for me, If I'm on a wall, and there's some decent ranged DPS with me, I can drop down and stand close enough for the ranged DPS to burn down the people that I lure in, thinking I'll be an easy take. I know it's not me burning them down, it's the dudes on the wall, and I'm okay with that with this build.

The forum here is DPS crazy, and while I've got characters that do decent damage, characters that I've grinded to get the gear I need, my Tank is hella fun to play.

Any class and build can net AP and be effective, I'm just doping something different.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS