The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

74% dps on an overland boss

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mazbt wrote: »
    The game does a horrible job teaching people how to min/max their damage and their rotations. You have to usually learn the hard way how bad your damage is or you need to ask people or look at outside resources.

I think the problem comes when separating dmg into types. There should be one statistic instead of 3 (wpn dmg, spell dmg and raw dmg). You can keep 2 dmg pools (sorry, 3 considering the Frankestein launched some weeks ago) and their modifiers, and that will open a wide room for theory crafter (making hybrids more than viable again)

Same about crit chance. For me crit chance is the remnant of old good Luck from previous TES games and I found stupid to divide one important aspect in the game into two. "Green" luck and "blue" luck makes no sense.

There are a lot of unnecesary Major and Minor buffs and debuffs that just add more numbers to the calculator and I'm pretty sure they affect the server in terms of Arkay's blessed lag. And appart from those buffs and debuffs, there are statuses, proc sets, passives, etc...

Old TES games were simpler, we all expected this game was going to keep that simplicity, saddly it won't happen.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • wesmont65
    wesmont65
    ✭✭
    74% in a pug group seems kinda low to be honest. Yes I am joking a bit, but when I queue for random dungeons, I am often in the 70-80% range (i have done vet bosses at north of 95%). Damage in this game scales very fast once you know what you are doing, and most people struggling with WBs havent got a clue. I am curious what the total group damage was.

When I tank random dungeons, I often see total group DPS of 10-15k. So if you for example assume in that scenario that each DPS is pulling 7k and the group total is 15k to be nice, and you then replace one of them with an elite player pulling say 45k. That player is going to pull about 85% group DPS. 45/(15-7+45)=84.9%.
    I am quite sure that the total group damage was not great, I am definitely not an elite player so if my dps was at 74% then the other 2 guys had a build not optimized for dps or they didn't know how to deal damage.
    I've noticed the same thing a few days ago in Wrothgar. I was in a big group there, I don't know maybe 8-10 people and when we killed the WB, my damage was at 54% and I've also died once on the boss.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wesmont65 wrote: »
    74% in a pug group seems kinda low to be honest. Yes I am joking a bit, but when I queue for random dungeons, I am often in the 70-80% range (i have done vet bosses at north of 95%). Damage in this game scales very fast once you know what you are doing, and most people struggling with WBs havent got a clue. I am curious what the total group damage was.

When I tank random dungeons, I often see total group DPS of 10-15k. So if you for example assume in that scenario that each DPS is pulling 7k and the group total is 15k to be nice, and you then replace one of them with an elite player pulling say 45k. That player is going to pull about 85% group DPS. 45/(15-7+45)=84.9%.
    I am quite sure that the total group damage was not great, I am definitely not an elite player so if my dps was at 74% then the other 2 guys had a build not optimized for dps or they didn't know how to deal damage.
    I've noticed the same thing a few days ago in Wrothgar. I was in a big group there, I don't know maybe 8-10 people and when we killed the WB, my damage was at 54% and I've also died once on the boss.

This is honestly why everyone went ballistic when we had group DPS sharing. People were able to see that their DPS was terrible. They hid the ability for addons to see what others are doing specifically, but combat metrics can still do some basic division.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha. Oh boy, are you in for a lot of fun discoveries :D It's accurate, and it seems accurate in your case.

I pull 50+ % of group dps in pugs a lot...as a healer (that on top of doing all I can to keep people standing in red up and give them buffs just to see them avoid and not use them again).
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who don't have aggro do and should do majority of DPS. While leveling alts i am routinely soloing almost all worldbosses. It's slowish if you have the aggro. Sometimes there is help and i've started to icestaff-tank them lately. When i can keep the aggro other players can easily do 75% of DPS because they can concentrate to it. Sadly these glass cannons die often too.

I don't mind low dps players. Most of players want the bosses done and they honestly try. Only group that pisses me off are leechers who leave in the middle of fight. If i see anyone doing that i run after them to reset the fight.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    Those who don't have aggro do and should do majority of DPS. While leveling alts i am routinely soloing almost all worldbosses. It's slowish if you have the aggro. Sometimes there is help and i've started to icestaff-tank them lately. When i can keep the aggro other players can easily do 75% of DPS because they can concentrate to it. Sadly these glass cannons die often too.

I don't mind low dps players. Most of players want the bosses done and they honestly try. Only group that pisses me off are leechers who leave in the middle of fight. If i see anyone doing that i run after them to reset the fight.

Actually lately I'm finding it easier to solo when I do have agro. I may have to renew my shields every 4 seconds and dedicate some time to bashing and breaking free but at least I can be sure the boss will stay where I put the DoTs and dropped the ulti, not get repeatedly run out of all of them, lowering my dps to like 10k and pushing me OOM due to trying to constantly renew DoTs.
    ...I would almost consider an ice staff if I didn't need both my fire and lightning staves :D
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because people want to be "unique" and play DPS in all heavy armour health regen stacked hybrid builds...
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    helediron wrote: »

Actually lately I'm finding it easier to solo when I do have agro. I may have to renew my shields every 4 seconds and dedicate some time to bashing and breaking free but at least I can be sure the boss will stay where I put the DoTs and dropped the ulti, not get repeatedly run out of all of them, lowering my dps to like 10k and pushing me OOM due to trying to constantly renew DoTs.
    ...I would almost consider an ice staff if I didn't need both my fire and lightning staves :D
    That's the reason i'll take the aggro. It's usually chicken chase otherwise :mrgreen:
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone