The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should (Damage) Shields take extra damage from lightning attacks? (Old)

Avran_Sylt
Avran_Sylt
✭✭✭✭✭
Please See: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/356195/should-there-be-a-debuff-similar-in-function-to-defile-that-reduces-damage-shield-strength
Essentially making (Damage) Shields 'Weak' to a particular element. This is just speculation. (Annulment/Hardened Ward/etc)
Edited by Avran_Sylt on June 29, 2017 12:31AM

Should (Damage) Shields take extra damage from lightning attacks? (Old) 131 votes

Yeah
6%
kendellking_chaosb14_ESOTaonnorPotenzaPaganiniGreenSoup2HoTHEXENWOLFBallcapred_emugepe87 9 votes
Nah
83%
SolarikenGilvothRiptideMisterBigglesworthCaligamy_ESORox83stupidmonkeylolo_01b16_ESOdmnqwkKoensolPhica_Lovicidks7732425ub17_ESOSilverWFHatchetHaroSanTii.92RaephbottleofsyrupJackDaniellSpacemonkey 110 votes
Other
4%
KochDerDamonenPlagueSDle_spyThe_SmilemeisterKeiruNicromKurkikohtaus 6 votes
I Don't Care
4%
DamianosO_LYKOSBananaFhirnRouDeRFishstrom 6 votes
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Would make sorcs way too unbalanced.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    There are already ways to do extra damage to damage shields, such as Shattering Blows in CP and Shield Breaker. Daedric damage enchantments (decrease health glyphs) ignore the shield entirely and go straight for the target's HP.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Why?

What will this change exactly the only source of lightning dmg is some sorc skills and destro ult...?

I feel like you just throw out stupid ideas without no thought behind them, it's getting annoying.
    Edited by leepalmer95 on June 27, 2017 6:41AM
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    they already do from shield breaker heavy lighting attacks, but I think this is a bug (hope it's not intended)
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @leepalmer95

Well, think of lightning as magicka disruption. In Skyrim Shock Damage saps a targets magicka.

Currently for DW the standard for PvP is Disease (for the Diseased Proc Chance) and Poison (For the DoT). This beginning to be usurped by the flat damage of Oblivion damage just about everywhere.

If shields took bonus damage from Lightning, depending on how it functions, it could be the 'shield shredding' element. Meaning that Sorcs are innately good against one another's shields and players can slot Shock Damage enchantments on their weapons for that extra umph against shielded opponents.

Sorc and Desto are not the only sources of lighting damage. There are Enchantments and sets as well. Think sets like thunderbugs carapace, or storm knights plate. This could be expanded further with future sets.

I just assume that this kind of thought process is standard among forum goers. If it is indeed not, remember, you can always choose not to read this.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's buff sorcs even more?
    Nice try.
    I have another sugestions let melee atacks ignore shields.
    Edited by Stannum on June 27, 2017 7:12AM
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    OP's question is, should sorcerer be even more op, being the class with so many lightning based skills.
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Nothing wrong with the concept, but then it would open up a whole can of worms. All kinds of damage would have to have all kinds of different effects in different situations against different things, not to mention that there could also be differences between, swords, maces, axes etc.

If ZOS were to single out one, they might as well address them all and then things would get complicated and probably unbalanced.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with the concept, but then it would open up a whole can of worms. All kinds of damage would have to have all kinds of different effects in different situations against different things, not to mention that there could also be differences between, swords, maces, axes etc.

If ZOS were to single out one, they might as well address them all and then things would get complicated and probably unbalanced.

A fair enough of a point. And it's probably true that they'd never consider Crush/Slash/Pierce damage for melee weapons. Would make the game a bit too complicated for the general audience.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    OP's question is, should sorcerer be even more op, being the class with so many lightning based skills.

That'd be their niche, though it is true that sorcs likely need to be toned down a bit. Their single target damage is a bit too high for the amount of cleave damage they've got.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah
    Would rather shields just have better prioritisation. Healing ward always on-top so you can't protect it with shields.
    PS4 NA DC
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    This game already handles elemental weakness poorly. Players tend to have nigh macimized resists, or as close to none as they can get. Vampire&Werewolf players are the only things with a noticeable damage type weakness. Most PvE mobs might technically have one, but it's the easiest thing to disregard and miss about them

I'm okay with this idea, if danage types become more impactful on the whole.
    Edited by KochDerDamonen on June 27, 2017 8:31AM
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Phica_Lovic
    Phica_Lovic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Why?

What will this change exactly the only source of lightning dmg is some sorc skills and destro ult...?

I feel like you just throw out stupid ideas without no thought behind them, it's getting annoying.

Agreed.
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    @leepalmer95

Well, think of lightning as magicka disruption. In Skyrim Shock Damage saps a targets magicka.

Currently for DW the standard for PvP is Disease (for the Diseased Proc Chance) and Poison (For the DoT). This beginning to be usurped by the flat damage of Oblivion damage just about everywhere.

If shields took bonus damage from Lightning, depending on how it functions, it could be the 'shield shredding' element. Meaning that Sorcs are innately good against one another's shields and players can slot Shock Damage enchantments on their weapons for that extra umph against shielded opponents.

Sorc and Desto are not the only sources of lighting damage. There are Enchantments and sets as well. Think sets like thunderbugs carapace, or storm knights plate. This could be expanded further with future sets.

I just assume that this kind of thought process is standard among forum goers. If it is indeed not, remember, you can always choose not to read this.

This isn't Skyrim. Can't mix balance with Skyrim lightning roleplay.

Balance > roleplay
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Phica -Max CP - Lvl 50 Argonian Sorc Healer since launch

• Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    they already do from shield breaker heavy lighting attacks, but I think this is a bug (hope it's not intended)

Its a bug and its about getting adressed within the next 2 minor patches
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Zos wouldn't be able to implement something like this so no.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Stupid ideas are stupid I guess?
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Lightning dmg if anything needs a nerf.
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Magsorcs don't need any more damage than they already have against other players. Do you think these things through at all before you poll?
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    You can just use shield breaker with lightning staff
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Frost attacks. Give cold damage a decent use beyond tanky effects
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get the obsession with shields some people have. But then those are the same people who cry about everything they can't kill with 2 button presses.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Someone played Defiance too much...
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • MrBetadine
    MrBetadine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Shields are wooden in this game
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Neither Sorcs nor Lightning staves need a buff like this. It would be terrible for the game. Just awful.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    No. Armor doesn't work that way, why should shields? Besides, shields already take full, unmitigated damage.

You really think you'd take less damage wearing full plate when someone hits you with a million volts?

If you're wanting adjustment, adjust armor. 1:1 Physical Resist to Spell Resist for each armor point was lazy design.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Here is my response:

"What? Why? No way."

This would make magcika sorcs even more strong (and frankly, they are already the best class in the game.) and provide absolutely nothing of value.

If anything, shields that aren't Healing Ward, Dampen Magicka, and Conjured Ward should be made not-*** first.
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ofSunhold
    ofSunhold wrote: »
    Magsorcs don't need any more damage than they already have against other players. Do you think these things through at all before you poll?

Yeah, I just don't include it in the main post. I've learned that walls of text tend to tune people out. better to light a fire with something simple that people can easily grasp and get knee-jerk reactions to. Much better at getting discussion going/ Getting more ideas out in the open. The more peeps that dislike the initial post, the more they feel like they're in the majority, and the more they feel comfortable sharing their opinion. It's also why polls tend to see more interaction.

@KeiruNicrom
    Frost attacks. Give cold damage a decent use beyond tanky effects

That.. could be interesting. not sure how it'd function lore wise. It'd make Warden tanks particularly useful against shield stacking sorcs.
    Reverb wrote: »
    Neither Sorcs nor Lightning staves need a buff like this. It would be terrible for the game. Just awful.

Care to elaborate? Perhaps it might deal with how the Concussed Status effect currently applies Minor Vulnerability on targets? Essentially allowing lightning staff users to gain an 8% AoE damage increase alongside an innate proc chance to deal a further 8% more damage to targets? Perhaps this could be addressed by creating a Minor Debuff to shields (in vein to minor defile), and instead having concussion proc that onto enemies instead of minor vulnerability?

@Merlin13KAGL
    No. Armor doesn't work that way, why should shields? Besides, shields already take full, unmitigated damage.

You really think you'd take less damage wearing full plate when someone hits you with a million volts?

If you're wanting adjustment, adjust armor. 1:1 Physical Resist to Spell Resist for each armor point was lazy design.

well, kinda full. You can't crit on shields. Meaning you're unable to hit above that base damage. (and also mitigating the bonus set effects of sets such as Archer's Mind and NB passives).

In terms of armor, I agree. Heavy armor should give more physical Resistance, and less Spell Resistance. Light armor gives more Spell Resistance (something about less inhibiting to your natural energy or some shite) but less Physical Resistance, and Medium armor is average on both.

@Jamini
    Jamini wrote: »
    Here is my response:

"What? Why? No way."

This would make magcika sorcs even more strong (and frankly, they are already the best class in the game.) and provide absolutely nothing of value.

If anything, shields that aren't Healing Ward, Dampen Magicka, and Conjured Ward should be made not-*** first.

Heh, like what. Allow health based shields to have morphs that scale off of max magicka? (Templar in particular, DK following close behind) Have a normalized Resource/ShieldPower Ratio across all non-% based shields? (Annulment having a 0.33 Mag/ShieldPower Ratio, DK Obsidian Shield having a 0.30 Hp/ShieldPower Ratio (Self, 0.10 for allies), Sorc Conjured Ward having a 0.36 Mag/ShieldPower Ration which can be increased to a 0.48 Mag/ShieldPower Ratio through Hardened Ward)
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on June 27, 2017 2:23PM
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    @ofSunhold
    ofSunhold wrote: »

Yeah, I just don't include it in the main post. I've learned that walls of text tend to tune people out. better to light a fire with something simple that people can easily grasp and get knee-jerk reactions to. Much better at getting discussion going/ Getting more ideas out in the open. The more peeps that dislike the initial post, the more they feel like they're in the majority, and the more they feel comfortable sharing their opinion. It's also why polls tend to see more interaction.

I see. Thanks for explaining that, it's going to save me some time.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    No thanks, I dont need my DK PvE tank nerfed anymore. ZoS nerfed it enough the last patch because the meta happened to catch up with my tank build I was playing for a year or more, its already been nerfed enough, I dont care what issues you face in PvP, learn to play around them and stop trying to nerf everyone else.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    Heh, like what. Allow health based shields to have morphs that scale off of max magicka? (Templar in particular, DK following close behind) Have a normalized Resource/ShieldPower Ratio across all non-% based shields? (Annulment having a 0.33 Mag/ShieldPower Ratio, DK Obsidian Shield having a 0.30 Hp/ShieldPower Ratio (Self, 0.10 for allies), Sorc Conjured Ward having a 0.36 Mag/ShieldPower Ration which can be increased to a 0.48 Mag/ShieldPower Ratio through Hardened Ward)

That's not a bad idea, and it has a precedent in the Coagulating Dragon Blood change/fix. It's not what I was thinking, but the idea does have merit.

Personally I would prefer the ratios for health-based shields be adjusted upwards slightly. Very few players want to stack health like mag users can and do stack mag. Stacking magicka for sorcerers is easy and solid tactic to use to increase their damage, sustain (by virtue of being able to cast more before running dry.), and defenses, while stacking health on a DK or Templar effectively turns your character into a wet noodle that will run out of resources in one or two spell casts. Also do remember that most magicka-based shields have powerful secondary effects (Magicka return on Harness Magicka, The heal on Healing Ward, sorc passives on Hardened Ward)

A "Tanky" DK that isn't focusing health will have 29-35k health in cyrodiil, that equates to a 5-7k shield. A non-tank DK will have a shield that is about half that for themselves with Igneous Shield. Those values are cut in third for allied shields. An average sorc can have 40k+ magicka easily, resulting in a 10k hardened ward, a 7k approx harness, and a 7k approx healing ward. All while maintaining long range, good mobility with streak, and high damage by virtue of their magic. Now, a magDK can still get 14k of that, but overall the difference between class shields is pretty stark. This is why Igneous Shield is really only ever really slotted for the Major Mending buff.

*Edit: I also nearly forgot. Healing ward gains scaling if the target's health is low.
    Edited by Jamini on June 27, 2017 2:54PM
    "Adapt. or Die."