The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please Help me Understand: Stam NB v. Stamplar

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
I admittedly have little to no max level experience with classes other than Templar. So I need help understanding something. In PvP on my Stamplar, I feel like I have to play like a Stam NB, but I just have a lower ceiling. It's all bursty, in-and-out clashes where I try to burn my target quick, if I fail I have to dip, or I die.

Help me understand what strengths Stamplars have over the tools Stam NBs have within this play style. I'm trying to find justification for my class/build choice and hoping I am not simply gimped compared to Stam NB.
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both as vets, although I prefer my stamblade in pvp because I simply prefer being an assassin, lol. I'm not sure what you're asking.

The two have some similarities in pvp play style...but they're about as distinct as any two classes are. Stamplar advantages include that they're about 10 million times tankier. They're more effective at snares and stuns. They can play a longer battle, wearing the enemy down through a series of debuffs and self buffs and heals while hacking away at an enemy's health.

Pvp combat does tend to be fast. But if you're getting burned down too quickly, you might need the 1h ultimate, or shielded assault, or other defensive abilities. In terms of specific class battles, stamplars are one of the more deadly to my NB because they can mitigate my crit and reduce my dps enough so that I'm stuck fighting them w low resources...at which point if they successfully snare me I'm likely dead.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam templars are more tanky via their armor buff + 8% dmg reduction
    They have aoe as their main spam which eats nbs.

They have a purge which is insanely strong, countering all dots + skills like curse, power of the light, purifying light.

They have backlash (power of the light) which is insanely strong, easy 8k-10k dmg proc which if someone isn't a templar they basically have to just eat. Its espically strong because the person casting it doesn't have to do the damage? Want to kill a sorc? Just have 2 half assed dps attack and have the stamplar cast power of the light and time it with a dawnbreaker, 10k proc into 6-8k cc and the sorc is dead.

They have better heals because of mending and small heals from their purge.

They basically have a passive 'proc' type of damage with burning light.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They have a purge which is insanely strong, countering all dots + skills like curse, power of the light, purifying light.

They have backlash (power of the light) which is insanely strong, easy 8k-10k dmg proc which if someone isn't a templar they basically have to just eat. Its espically strong because the person casting it doesn't have to do the damage? Want to kill a sorc? Just have 2 half assed dps attack and have the stamplar cast power of the light and time it with a dawnbreaker, 10k proc into 6-8k cc and the sorc is dead.

I agree but proc build Stam Blade is soooooo strong atm.... with NB's now being able stack a ton of regen especially magicka omg I can dark cloak a ton now.... That is huge .... combine that with the standard 3 sets that NB's are running and one of the best ults in the game ... I would take a NB on a stam Temp anyday atm......With out proc's I would take a stam templar....
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »

I agree but proc build Stam Blade is soooooo strong atm.... with NB's now being able stack a ton of regen especially magicka omg I can dark cloak a ton now.... That is huge .... combine that with the standard 3 sets that NB's are running and one of the best ults in the game ... I would take a NB on a stam Temp anyday atm......With out proc's I would take a stam templar....

You can use those same sets on a stam templar.

Viper is great on anything stam.
    Selene procs on jabs better than surprise attack.
    Hunt is good on anything stam.

You just give up cloak for better heals, more tankyiness from minor protection, and purge. Its a different playstyle sure.

Incap is > than current dawnbreaker though but stamplar do get access to power of the light which is another kind of annoying thing.

PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Jawasa
    Jawasa
    ✭✭✭
    You also give up the best cc in the game. But stamplar looks fun and strong with jabs, potl and purge.