Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where is the quality in PvP? Campaign's and Performance. Let's Discuss.

NeillMcAttack
NeillMcAttack
✭✭✭✭✭
Not talking about the obvious BG issues here, or the actual combat (proc sets etc.) there are other threads for these.
Just the simple ability to find some classic and quality AvA gameplay. Note that this is from the perspective of a player on PS4 EU. Pop- locked and queues for Vivec for prime time. Very little to ZERO action in the no-CP's, and about 1 bar each on Kyne during PT.

First off, the campaigns. 1 CP campaign and 2 non-CP campaigns, and one specifically for under level 50's. This layout I have no problems with. Being that I am completely convinced, ever since Azura went from CP to No CP, literally over night, having gone from 3 fps in combat to as smooth as large battles can get, that No CP simply performs better. You won't convince me otherwise as I have experienced it first hand.
*whispers* I also have a theory this may be one of the reasons ZOS put stop points and more rounding on the CP stars, less variables!

So then, why is everyone queuing to enter this nonsense? It's simple, you cant experience the excitement of large battles that this game provides without a large population. This is to the point that players will queue, get in, get kicked, and then try again!!? It's madness to me but I understand the attraction. The feeling of lending oneself to the campaign, to win, to play with friends, etc. But also, because ZOS have made it very difficult to allow players to even try other campaigns. Currently you have to wait 30 or 7 days to change your campaign!! Why? And why can't we guest on all other campaign's, not just one. Not that that would change much, as people also want to climb leaderboards and shoot for rewards.
Remove the cost to change campaign, or greatly reduce it.
Note; I'm aware that ZOS actually increased it up to what it is shortly after console launch, if someone can remind me as to why I would be interested to know.

Now we have to look at this from the new player to the vet players perspective. This is because, and one of the deciding factors to me making this thread, I have seen a very significant amount of new players in Vivec ever since the expac.
If we were to guess, it would appear that the maxed out PvP AvA players want to utilize their CP and fight in the most populated campaign. But we certainly can't say that about the newbs. In fact, they are gimping themselves a great deal playing in that campaign. They are but free AP. It's the attraction of the large battles, the immersive atmosphere, the attack and defend flow. It's awesome, who can blame them. But it's severely broken, lag, disconnects, queues. And the fact that these new players haven't a hope in hell up against experienced maxed stat players leaves me thinking that it can't be something they could enjoy for as long as we all hope they would.

What can be done? For starters, the adds are completely broken. This is to the point that even experienced players, with CP intact, can struggle to capture resources. What chance do others have? People are actually forced to go where the groups are. It's a disaster @ZOS.
But let's assume they weren't totally borked. The no-CP campaigns are still brutal for players. Not so much the experienced players, but again, the new players need to rely on groups, I don't feel it should be like this. As for Imperial City, isn't it obvious? Why would people farm in a place where the adds are actually challenging? I enjoy it myself but understand that losing half your stones to one-shot boss mechanics is detrimental to a players enjoyment, and thus decision to where they want to play. And the sewers, the bosses down there are actually tougher than the city, and they only grant 500TV, and thats to a small group! They need to be the same, if not more rewarding, due to how much longer it can take to travel between them, to entice players. How come this has never been addressed?
Adds in IC and sewers need to be heavily nerfed in the no-CP campaigns. But I'm not against a large buff to them in the CP one. Perhaps it should be as challenging as it is in no-CP, but the way it is currently, you could sadly consider deleting IC for those campaign's.

Now for a controversial topic, being that we have gathered that the maxed out CP players are struggling due to performance, queues, lag. And new players are the same, adding in that they are fodder and can't sustain without numbers.
Maybe it might be an idea to simply not allow players without any CP on their account into the CP campaign? Only allow them into Kyne or one of the other two. Yes, players will say that they want to play with friends and guildies, but does it not seem a lot fairer to have the CP players meet them where they can actually contribute? This would be after adds are re-balanced of course. It would be far more satisfying for new players i'm sure.
And yes, I'm aware that this would then attract many of the maxed gear players across at the thought of tackling lesser experienced players, but I guess then we can separate those that want to actually compete in the most competitive campaign from those that just want to zerg bust newbies for the highlight real. I'm not judging, it's fun as hell, and it would provide us with what we all want, better performance, less queues, and a more competitive campaign that 'can' actually perform.

I feel something needs to be done, and if you are still with me I'm sure you feel the same. Cheers for reading. And let's hope AvA can live on on our respective platforms, but ZOS need to take action.
Edited by NeillMcAttack on June 29, 2017 2:43PM
PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
@ McAttack in game
Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Drakkdjinn on June 23, 2017 7:39PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6903904-war-and-peace.jpg

just kidding..sort of :)

did read through your comment...valid points...less options in terms of maps to play in, longer queues, and, definitely more lag...

haven't fought in a no cp campaign against the resource guards in a long while - so, can' really comment on that...

big no against restricting no cp players from cp maps...there's always a solution for competing when you are at a disadvantage - grouping up with stronger players being the number one remedy...

i competed fairly successfully for a very long time playing against stronger players - tactics just play a much stronger role in combat...i'm glad i'm maxed now and can go recklessly charging in to just about any fight...and, still die :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally I'm not experiencing as much lag problems these days compared to about a year ago.

I think most people want to play in a CP campaign and most people also want to play in 30 day campaign. Perhaps it would reduce queues if they deleted all the 7 day campaigns and added a second 30-day CP campaign.

As for the class and racial balance, etc.,it's not the greatest, but much better than it was at launch.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here all the rage was "no CP is more popular" during the No CP test.

Even without the other campaigns, both no CPs are practically empty on console
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

big no against restricting no cp players from cp maps...there's always a solution for competing when you are at a disadvantage - grouping up with stronger players being the number one remedy...

i competed fairly successfully for a very long time playing against stronger players - tactics just play a much stronger role in combat...i'm glad i'm maxed now and can go recklessly charging in to just about any fight...and, still die :)

But they can still group with stronger players, Just in a more balanced campaign (balanced in the sense of where players are at in their progression). And you should be aware that the gap between the new and vet players is much greater than when you were learning.
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe it might be an idea to simply not allow players without any CP on their account into the CP campaign?

What issue does that possibly solve?

If there are too many people queued for CP campaign on PS4, the solution is to add a second CP campaign, not arbitrarily restrict people from playing how they want to play the game.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PC that kind of is the case, is it not? They are at least a hell of a lot closer.

It is in my opinion that console "meta" is very far behind PC also. The problem with CP is that ZOS have just kicked the can down the road with how CP will cause a lot of problems with balance in the future. When players have more points again to dump more into bastion, more into healing done and recieved, etc. etc. we will see the same issues.
    PC players are just in a better position to realize this, thus the greater interest in no CP over there.
    @ McAttack in game
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it might be an idea to simply not allow players without any CP on their account into the CP campaign?

If there are too many people queued for CP campaign on PS4, the solution is to add a second CP campaign, not arbitrarily restrict people from playing how they want to play the game.

What you have said is restrict "how they want" to play the game.

Currently this is the only way they can. How do new players even no what they want? Do you think new players are aware of just how grave a dis-advantage they are at in that campaign?

The issue is simply that I believe the newer players would have a much better experience in no-CP. And I'm genuinely counting on those with maxed Gear and stats as much as can, would flock to where they can fight the newbs. But in no-CP the gap wouldn't be as insanely one-sided as it is now if that is what they would wish for.
    Edited by NeillMcAttack on June 23, 2017 8:01PM
    @ McAttack in game
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure the new players are having fun in the only active campaign or even in bgs getting farmed for ap.

Stick them into non cp 1-50 if they dont have cp, let them learn pvp with other noobs, all they seem to be learning is running on your own = instant death and the only place you can fight in 10 fps zergs vs zergs.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his point is that they have no idea where they need to be.

I'm guessing 90% of the queues/lag in cyrodiil stem from the fact that Morrowind brought in tons of newbs, newbs can only farm IC in CP campaigns, and that the campaign itself is called "standard" even tho no cp is the standard for serious players and BG/arenas.

Perhaps we can just petition ZoS to name them more accurately: Sotha Sil would be listed as "30 Day Gold Standard" and Vivec can be "30 Day Standard Tearfest". Probs would sort it
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But they can still group with stronger players, Just in a more balanced campaign (balanced in the sense of where players are at in their progression). And you should be aware that the gap between the new and vet players is much greater than when you were learning.

howdy @NeillMcAttack ...legit points...in all honesty - I love running in to a low cp player in cyrodiil...it doesn't hurt them terribly in their defense or sustain usually, however their damage is super low...it's fun to let them attack you for a while and then just wave or do some other emote and put away your weapon...

my only issue really is in limiting choices for different players...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Benn G x
    Benn G x
    ✭✭✭
    All in all it's not that bad, people just all jump on the bandwagon and start crying the games dead like children. Battlegrounds could do with some tweaking yes, and selenes is over performing. That's it, viper isn't OP imo it never does that much damage, but selenes is always like 6.5-7k death recap it's ridiculous.
  • Ashagin
    Ashagin
    ✭✭
    I think it's simple. A no cp campaign, a 0 to 300cp campaign, and a 300 to 630cp campaign. 7 or 30 day idc how they work that part out
    Edited by Ashagin on June 24, 2017 3:04AM
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laaaagg + the person in ZOS that decided to go down to 1 CP campaign has totally ruined this game for me and my guild... but they do not care..

I have proof:
    have you seen them comment about this issue? Nope...

If you want to get their attention post that you chair is the wrong color and you will get an immediate response..
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »
    Laaaagg + the person in ZOS that decided to go down to 1 CP campaign has totally ruined this game for me and my guild... but they do not care..

I have proof:
    have you seen them comment about this issue? Nope...

If you want to get their attention post that you chair is the wrong color and you will get an immediate response..

According to them they now have 10 million players across all their platforms. Now it is zos, I rarely believe them but even if they are telling a half truth its 5 million.

Someone likes what they are selling, Im sure you know but youre just going to have to move on, they have. PVP players are not the target customer, PVP (like a lot of cash grab mmos) is just an end game time sink for the casuals until the daily reset. You can still have good PVP in cyrodiil but if your doing the zerg surfing loop and bitching about lag, I mean, I dont know what to tell ya.

Thats on you babe.
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Benn G x wrote: »
    All in all it's not that bad, people just all jump on the bandwagon and start crying the games dead like children. Battlegrounds could do with some tweaking yes, and selenes is over performing. That's it, viper isn't OP imo it never does that much damage, but selenes is always like 6.5-7k death recap it's ridiculous.

Viper is deceptively OP.

What other damage sets will add straight 2k (at minimum) to your burst? Put on an automaton do a full dizzying/db/execute combo and tell me that automaton added 2k to that combo (in most cases it will not).

Now consider w automaton (for example) you only benefit fully over several skill uses which require you to time cc to get the full combo etc. vs viper, any instant you can apply any melee attack you instantly get on demand 2k burst added on top. Makes your burst less predictable, and frontloads your burst combo rather than backloading it.

There's no reason a stam class should choose another dmg set over viper, if the goal is to increase your offensive capabilities in pvp. It's plenty OP.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil needs more meaningful objectives than keeps. Primarily by providing more resources that effect keeps but are much further away. Can things like the quest hubs, other towers, important mines, water sources, roads etc. This will effectively spread the fighting around the map that is largely unused and provide more options between Zerg and small group play.

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue is that CP is far more forgiving, but, once you learn to play, no CP is just way way way more fun and it performs so much better. Large scale sieges can actually happen. Zerg bomb group? Bring it on, we can hold you off with two people and a couple of ballistas. No CP is where its at. I started in Azuras Star, I was getting rekt, then I went to CP campaign and was like wow Im powerful, then I got really freakin bored of CP with the really just horrendous lag and the zerg bomb groups. So now Im back in Sotha Sil. No more bomb groups, very minimal lag compared to CP, decent populations on NA PC. Life is good.

Oh and yes, nearly every stam toon uses vipers. I dont but Im heavily considering doing an alt build with my stam sorc. I dont want to say nerf vipers, but idk, I think when a set becomes so widely used it is definitely overperforming. With a guaranteed proc like that every 4 seconds it should really only have like a 3k tooltip. Most other proc sets like that carry a similar tooltip to what vipers currently has, but they also have a 4 second cooldown and only a 10% chance to proc. Not to mention vipers is an insanely easy set to get.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure the new players are having fun in the only active campaign or even in bgs getting farmed for ap.

Stick them into non cp 1-50 if they dont have cp, let them learn pvp with other noobs, all they seem to be learning is running on your own = instant death and the only place you can fight in 10 fps zergs vs zergs.

The only problem with that is they are limited to a campaign where they can't play with other players, say friends, guildies, whatever.

If they were only restricted from the CP campaign they could still play with whomever they want, just in more balanced setting.
    @ McAttack in game
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drakkdjinn wrote: »

I think his point is that they have no idea where they need to be.

I'm guessing 90% of the queues/lag in cyrodiil stem from the fact that Morrowind brought in tons of newbs, newbs can only farm IC in CP campaigns, and that the campaign itself is called "standard" even tho no cp is the standard for serious players and BG/arenas.

Perhaps we can just petition ZoS to name them more accurately: Sotha Sil would be listed as "30 Day Gold Standard" and Vivec can be "30 Day Standard Tearfest". Probs would sort it

Great point that I missed. They way it's currently set-up and presented gives players a false understanding of where would be best for them to play. ZOS could definitely help out here with a very simple change to how the campaigns are presented. Referring to Vivec as the Veteran Campaign, much like how dungeons are differentiated between adding a level of consistency.

Saying that, I still believe that players, particularly newer players, will always want to go where the numbers are. CP or no-CP it doesn't matter to them because they have absolutely no idea what CP are and how they effect the gameplay, and sadly, the performance. The way it's set up it seems to just want some lambs to the slaughter. So I'm still convinced that the best "fix" to the current situation is to limit players with ZERO CP from entering a campaign where they can't even compete, while at the same time allowing those that can better performance, shorter queues, and even more campaign options.
    @ McAttack in game
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

howdy @NeillMcAttack ...legit points...in all honesty - I love running in to a low cp player in cyrodiil...it doesn't hurt them terribly in their defense or sustain usually, however their damage is super low...it's fun to let them attack you for a while and then just wave or do some other emote and put away your weapon...

my only issue really is in limiting choices for different players...

Howdy @geonsocal
    Hehe, yeah it can be funny, from teaming up to share dolmen exp, and sometimes just bashing them to death (I'm an evil man) it is fun and I'm sure they may be having a laugh too regardless. But I feel that currently there is no choice for PvP. That's the point. ZOS clearly wanted to promote no-CP PvP, they clearly dropped the ball on it, so we should, as players, perhaps try and give them ideas on what can be done to help the situation lest we see more and more threads every day of "THE LAAAGG", "The Queues", "The blue screens", etc. etc. etc.

Remember, ZOS have acknowledged that CP campaigns have poorer performance. By limiting new players from stacking in to a Campaign where all they can realistically do is take up population, ZOS could again lower the allowed populations within the CP campaign to better help performance without causing more queuing issues. Remember, there is currently a LOT of new players in that campaign.
    @ McAttack in game
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So its just dawned on me that this thread has been moved to PvP combat and skills. I state in the first two lines that that is not what this thread is about. I guess a mod read the title and assumed it was yet another proc set thread. If I could have been informed about who moved it i could ask them specifically to move it back to general discussion or to the alliance war section, where i still don't believe it belongs, but it's better than where it is now.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom I don't know who else to ask this of but could I get this thread moved somewhere more appropriate to hopefully get greater discussion on the actual topic. I will adjust the title to fit better with the thread contents. Thanks.
    @ McAttack in game
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PC that kind of is the case, is it not? They are at least a hell of a lot closer.

It is in my opinion that console "meta" is very far behind PC also. The problem with CP is that ZOS have just kicked the can down the road with how CP will cause a lot of problems with balance in the future. When players have more points again to dump more into bastion, more into healing done and recieved, etc. etc. we will see the same issues.
    PC players are just in a better position to realize this, thus the greater interest in no CP over there.

not really. at least not on NA. Sotha Sil has alright population but Almalexia is completely dead with everyone literally jammed into Vivec it's horrible.

had used to have some pretty good PvP and good population now it's just where people go to get skyshards and do PvE stuff. :(
    Edited by Lucky28 on June 24, 2017 1:19PM
    Invictus
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is self perpetuating. Nobody goes into noncp because nobody is there. So people move out to cp campaigns and the balance gets worse. If a few guilds moved onto noncp for a month or 2, populations would balance. Most guild groups don't want to change their builds or group comps, do this isn't going to happen.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

not really. at least not on NA. Sotha Sil has alright population but Almalexia is completely dead with everyone literally jammed into Vivec it's horrible.

had used to have some pretty good PvP and good population now it's just where people go to get skyshards and do PvE stuff. :(

As I have no way of judging, what number of players in the CP campaign are totally new players? If it's anything like PS4 it's at least 30%. They are clearly not where they should be hence the point of the thread.

And we can also assume that many of the experienced players are in BG's.

ZOS need to force more balanced populations across the campaigns or this will never stop. And the quality of AvA will never improve.
    @ McAttack in game
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped reading when i read about nonCP performing better.

Even the devs posted after testing a week of enforced nonCP that they were unable to trace any noticeable performance increase with disabled CP.
    Which happens to mirror my personal experience on the matter.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know non CP people were so loud in the forums ... they helped eliminate CP servers...

Most people prefer CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long do we have to wait for action or communication....
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

As I have no way of judging, what number of players in the CP campaign are totally new players? If it's anything like PS4 it's at least 30%. They are clearly not where they should be hence the point of the thread.

And we can also assume that many of the experienced players are in BG's.

ZOS need to force more balanced populations across the campaigns or this will never stop. And the quality of AvA will never improve.

they are where they want to be.

Getting rid of one of the CP campaigns in favor of no CP which was/is not as popular as CP PvP was a mistake that needs to be remedied. ZOS can't force people to play on Campaigns they don't want to play on. all they can do is give an alternative which they actually took the alternative away hence the major issue here.
    Edited by Lucky28 on June 24, 2017 2:43PM
    Invictus
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to go back.

When all enemy players you run into whisper you that they just wanna quest after you kill em, it's time to move on.

I want competition, not to be a troll
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Smmokkee
    Smmokkee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every patch that comes out makes pvp worse.