The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to deal high damage

BlitzWing97
I ask a lot of questions. i know. but i feel like i know less and less the more i play..

My magika build : Any move i use barely dents health bars. Yet other players using the exact same move are dealing twice the damage...it's far more than my critical ratings

My Stamina build : same issue really...but heres the catch, i got hit with an 11k damage from "focussed aim". My poin version of that move scratches 7k at a critical....

So my question is simple..How are other players using the same moves but dealing far more damage than when im using them?
[Just to note, my magika build has near 38k magika and my stamina build has 28k stamina]
  • T1y4hoon
    T1y4hoon
    ✭✭✭
    armor sets
  • BlitzWing97
    Just stating armour sets isnt very helpful you know~
    I asked how..
    both characters have armour sets to increase weapon/spell damage plus max magika/stamina
    spell damage is 2100 and weapon damage is 1800
    Edited by BlitzWing97 on June 23, 2017 1:51AM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a combination of armour sets, active buffs (self and ally), CP, passives, and crit chance/damage. There are several sites with good build details. There's less variability in dps builds than tanking and healers, because the math in what makes the most damage is largely irrefutable.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your damage is determined by:
    Resource Pool
    Weapon/Spell Damage
    Your Penetration rating vs Opponent's Armor
    Your Critical damage and modifiers vs Impenetrable on Opponent
    Damage Modifiers
    Champion Points

If your spell/weapon damage is 2k unbuffed, what is your resource pool level?
    What is your Penetration at?
    What sets do you run?
    What is your impenetrable rating?
    Critical rating and modifiers?

What burst combos do you run?

Do you debuff your opponent?

Is your weapon gold?

Do you run CP or non CP? If CP how many do you have and are you aware of jump points and optimal allocation?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your damage is determined by:
    Resource Pool
    Weapon/Spell Damage
    Your Penetration rating vs Opponent's Armor
    Your Critical damage and modifiers vs Impenetrable on Opponent
    Damage Modifiers
    Champion Points

If your spell/weapon damage is 2k unbuffed, what is your resource pool level?
    What is your Penetration at?
    What sets do you run?
    What is your impenetrable rating?
    Critical rating and modifiers?

What burst combos do you run?

Do you debuff your opponent?

Is your weapon gold?

Do you run CP or non CP? If CP how many do you have and are you aware of jump points and optimal allocation?

OPs head might have just exploded. Haha.
  • BlitzWing97
    Waffennacht asked very good questions. enough to possibly make a third character~

whats a resource pool
    no active penetration due to sources saying its less effective than raw stamina/magika and weapon/spell dmg
    stamina uses vipers sting + marksman. Magika uses vicious death + spinner +martial knowledge
    Stamina has every armour piece impenetrable whereas magika has armour value
    stamina critical rating is 42% and magika is 52%

not necessarily combos...as its the damage from certain moves. such as focused aim. Another player dealt 11k critical damage with it. whereas i can only get 8k out of it. Surprise attack dealing 9k whereas mine deals 6k

i dont debuff and im not debuffed either. My ui tells me all status effects going on.

i play the 30 day no cp campaign
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the phrase/term resource pool in reference to max stamina or max magicka

Do you use Sharpened trait weapons? - it's the most efficient weapon trait -5k ish penetration = approximately 8% more damage

In Light Armor you passively get 5kish (little less) penetration, you get 0 passively from medium.

For your Stam build I'm guessing it's a combo of your Opponent's penetration and armor rating and crit modifiers that makes theirs higher.

Example: a Stam NB can use Mark and Sharpened weapons for +16% damage above tooltip, if they have a set like spriggan (and medium armor sits around 15k resistance I think) then they get 24% damage over tooltip.

Add in a mundus Stone of The Shadow and you can potentially be dealing anywhere from 30-50% less damage than they... Which is approximately what we are seeing.
    Edited by Waffennacht on June 23, 2017 4:50PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule, your damage scales off of several things.

The big 2 are your resource pool (Max Stamina or Max Magic) and your damage (weapon or spell). Magic skills scale of max magic and spell damage, stamina skills scale off max stamina and weapon damage. Increasing either will make your skill in question hit harder.

That is the tip of the iceberg. You need to give serious thought to penetration. Anyone saying penetration doesnt matter is beyond incorrect. Now in PVE, you can often get to the point you need without doing much of anything other than wearing light armor and a sharp weapon if your group is giving you debuffs. In PVE you need to get to about 18.2k pen to be effective. This is the reason why sharp weapons are so powerful. Its also one reason why magic users have an easier time of things, because they get penetration from their armor passives. Stam does not. You will notice that meta PVE magic sets typically boost spell damage and meta PVE stamina sets typically boost penetration. Stam needs to get it from somewhere.

In PVP, the amount of pen you need is going to change based on your opponent. A stam user will get about 5k from sharp weapons, and perhaps some from wearing Krags or a set like Spriggans or Nightmothers, but otherwise you are going to have to get it in another way if you want to hit hard. That is what we mean by debuffing your opponent for the most part. Skills like pierce armor, reapers mark, noxious breath, can all give that to you.

You also want to look at CP. Decent chance you might have points in the blue tree that arent very optimal. You can get a fair amount of penetration with your CP, as well as, boost other types of damage. You can also use this to get your crit defense up as well, which can also be important.

Laslty, your mundus can be important. If trying to burst from stealth, it is hard to go wrong with shadow.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on June 23, 2017 6:13PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I ask a lot of questions. i know. but i feel like i know less and less the more i play..

My magika build : Any move i use barely dents health bars. Yet other players using the exact same move are dealing twice the damage...it's far more than my critical ratings

My Stamina build : same issue really...but heres the catch, i got hit with an 11k damage from "focussed aim". My poin version of that move scratches 7k at a critical....

So my question is simple..How are other players using the same moves but dealing far more damage than when im using them?
    [Just to note, my magika build has near 38k magika and my stamina build has 28k stamina]

I can speak directly to your bow point.

If you do nothing else, just do these simple things next time. Go into sneak, make sure your distance is close to max and cast radiant magelight before loosing the first arrow. If you aren't doing any of these things, your jaw will drop.

But if you want to play well no matter what you are playing you need to learn the underlying mechanics. For bow, watch whatever is the latest NB gank build posted by @Alcast. I don't actually use much of what he teaches, his builds are pretty basic, but that's the point. He explains fundamental mechanics and why they matter.

Besides Alcast, you should also watch the blazing shield build video by @Gottbeard, even if you never intend to play a templar. His discussion on CP is based on things he tried and not the underlying math posted in the forums. I came away from that video with an understanding of CP allocation that wasn't well known until a good bit of time after he posted the video. Other build videos continued to show specs that wasted points for a good stretch of time.

Edited by Wreuntzylla on June 23, 2017 6:49PM