The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Error 1005 - repair tool will not fix

Attackfrog
Attackfrog
✭✭✭
All of a sudden, today, I tried to launch ESO and was prompted to repair after update but I get this error (it doesn't not quite complete the repair process).

I have searched for other threads on this and have tried running as admin as well, but it does not help.

This happened a few weeks ago too, and I opened a support ticket (which I was told to run the game consultant) but I submitted the game report and they sent back a response to visit the tech support forum (which I already had done) and make sure my drivers were up to date (they are).

Nothing apparent has changed since playing yesterday. Last time this happened (a few weeks ago), I tried rebooting then repairing again and it magically started working. This time, I have tried that process several times, also while running as admin, and it is not working.

Does anybody have any info/input???

Alienware 17, 16 RAM, Windows 10, 64 bit, NVidia 880 all drivers are up to date.
"You can have fun or you can have safety, but you can't have them both"
-A ten-year-old
  • Rolo42
    Rolo42
    ✭✭
    Run a memory test (memtest86+ or Windows memory diagnostic) overnight

Run chkdsk to see if you have any issues; if so, run chkdsk /f

If that's no help, then I would investigate something interfering with ESO files or the ESO patching process (security software, et al.)

The reason you run a memory test first is that checking the disk with bad RAM will corrupt the files on the disk.
    Edited by Rolo42 on June 20, 2017 11:52AM
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Rolo42 wrote: »
    Run a memory test (memtest86+ or Windows memory diagnostic) overnight

Run chkdsk to see if you have any issues; if so, run chkdsk /f

If that's no help, then I would investigate something interfering with ESO files or the ESO patching process (security software, et al.)

The reason you run a memory test first is that checking the disk with bad RAM will corrupt the files on the disk.

Thanks for the input! Someone else, in another thread, mentioned that they had the same problem and it ended up being that Windows update did not update, so I manually went in to Windows update, ran an update, repaired again, and now it works.

He had the same issue with it stopping working on a Monday, but then it "magically" began working on Wed (after Windows updated), which is similar to what happened to me last time this happened.

Next time it happens, if Windows update doesn't work I will definitely try running a memory test.

Thank you for your insight, though! The responses I have gotten from the forum have been vastly more helpful than those I got from Customer support lol!
    "You can have fun or you can have safety, but you can't have them both"
    -A ten-year-old