Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ye gods ZOS, what have you done to the dolmen music?

casparian
casparian
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I've always loved ESO's music. I listen to the soundtrack at work, and was especially excited with the new music added in the Homestead patch, particularly the music that played during keep fights and boss battles -- that stuff was epic, and I'm disappointed that I have haven't heard it since May 22. I know that many players just stream internet radio while playing, but like a lot of long-time TES fans, the series' excellent musical production values have always been a big part of the experience for me.

This is why I'm especially disappointed that the new update to the dolmen music -- and it now also plays during keep fights in Cyrodiil for some reason -- is a definite step back. Maybe two. The new soft-rock drum track was not a good idea, and I swear the horn section is actually slightly off-key at one point. More than anything else, it feels like a high school marching band's rendition of the old dolmen music. I would be pleased to hear it played during halftime at my little cousin's football game, but not in a professional production like ESO.

This is unfortunate, because the dolmen music used to be epic. Now it just sounds cheesy. (And to rub salt in the wound, for some reason it has completely replaced the equally epic keep fight/boss battle music that Homestead introduced.) The change is a little bewildering, too, since otherwise the new music in Morrowind is uniformly excellent.

Please ZOS, for the sake of our ears, revert the dolmen music!

@SoundMaster
7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg...now I have to hear it. Your description made me think the new theme is like Celine's Dion's *** ic song played in the style of Star Trek by a marching band, lol.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww, this is sad. :disappointed:
    The original Dolmen music was one of my favorites.
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often just run my play list in lue of ESO music.

tonight's selection will be a big band theme, Id recommend this for your next dolmen run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb4P-MZMzJs
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the old raspy voiced female cultist summoning the anchor. The current voiceover seems much less cultish.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can anyone link a video of the new music here? Been a while since I've played, but I don't want some Scottish dance theme playing while I destroy a dolmen
    Edited by Stovahkiin on May 31, 2017 10:28PM
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It sounds like 2 songs are playing at the same time
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the Morrowind version of the dolmen/dark anchor theme, which someone was good enough to upload to YouTube today. It starts out just fine, then at around 30 seconds starts to languish, with the primary elements being the stale drum track and tenth-graders on the horns.

Compare the older version that played during Homestead. If you listen closely you can tell it's actual quite similar in its basics. The biggest changes seem to be that the string section playing the main theme has been changed into a horn section (played by the aforementioned tenth-graders).

Some of the new elements are nice, and of course the basic theme is great. But to my ear at least, this new arrangement on the whole is just a burden to listen to.

For good measure, here is the boss/keep combat music that I haven't heard since the Morrowind base game patch. This epic piece used to fire up whenever I so much as fired a trebuchet at a keep wall. Now it's apparently absent from Cyrodiil. (It may still be in dungeons; I wouldn't know since dungeon finder hasn't put me in a pledge group since the Morrowind patch.) Notice how fast-paced and professional the horn section sounds in this one compared to the new dolmen music.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's bizarre they bother meddling with music, unless it has an impact to game performance perhaps? Vet Trials boys do say to turn music etc off for performance (tho i thought that was just superstition!) i love the original music, shame to change it
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Addition of new music is fine (to an extent). I just wish it would still cycle through the old stuff as well.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Addition of new music is fine (to an extent). I just wish it would still cycle through the old stuff as well.

Completely agree! As I said in my original post, I loved the new music they added in Homestead. My complaint isn't that they added new music to the dolmens, it's that they added bad music.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... Same with Boss/Cyro fight music. I hope, at least, we could chose which version it plays when fighting.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Skjoldur
    Skjoldur
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, overall I do like the new music a bit more. While production quality of the old pieces is definitely much better, I always liked how heavy they sounded and all the choire stuff and long stretched parts were going on my nerves. Hence I was playing without music for about 2 years now and turned it back on after this patch for the first time.

So far I am okay with it, but I would like to see a lot more variation per zone and activity.
    Edited by Skjoldur on June 1, 2017 1:29PM