The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

F THESE BATTLEGROUND QUEUES!

Kildayen
Kildayen
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm triggered
Edited by Kildayen on May 27, 2017 6:11AM
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP after waiting 3 hours for queue:

200.gif#5
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's total bull kaka. Seriously.
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bad are they? Since I'm on Xbox now I don't know what PC looks like anymore and If they are bad on PC man Xbox and ps4 are going to be in for a fun one like back in the day trying to get into pvp with a que of 400+
  • lunalitetempler
    lunalitetempler
    ✭✭✭✭
    How bad are they? Since I'm on Xbox now I don't know what PC looks like anymore and If they are bad on PC man Xbox and ps4 are going to be in for a fun one like back in the day trying to get into pvp with a que of 400+

Unplayable, endless loop in the que. It just keeps saying someone declined and starts again.
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's kinda how its been on Xbox with the group que you join then all of a sudden it kicks everyone then we get that 15 min cool down I hope they fix it soon
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It depends how many people are queued.

A couple days ago I tried BG on live server for the first time and played for a few hours. Queue was really fast like 10 seconds or less each time, and all the teams seemed pretty evenly matched.

Then it got to be around midnight Pacific time and I suspect people started logging off, because queue got longer and instead of 4v4v4 we had some 2v2v2 etc.

This was similar to my experience on PTS - when Closed Beta started there were a lot of people queued for BG and queue was short. When PTS was dead we had to wait a long time and sometimes even after a few hours waiting there weren't enough people for 4v4v4 match.

Anytime one of the teams drops below 2 people, what would happen on PTS is the match gets canceled and a loading screen would kick everyone out. Sometimes unfortunately this also applies the 20 minute deserter penalty.
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Queue*
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    Queue*

fixed!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That stinks any day but even more on a weekend .
  • Bringer
    Bringer
    ✭✭✭
    It was fast at first because people were checking it out. This is entierly predictable and i warned that this would happen, BG will be dead within 3 months. 4v4v4 is a bad format for this games BG because it leaves out solo players, people arent going to queue solo to be matched against premade groups, they did at first to check it out but once they encounter a premade team dominating everything they will just go back to cyrodiil.

Make a solo queue you say? Yes that would help in some ways, but then there would not be enough people for the group queue to work, and while i think it should have been designed as solo-only from the start, the entire premise seems to be one of having a place for group vs group type play 'small scale' stuff as oposed to cyrodiils large scale. The issue is you wont sustain that with out solo players to fill in the gaps and make the queues faster, which solo players wont do after getting dominated by premades.

Basically the idea was bad to start with. They should have done something like 12vs12(vs12 if they really want to keep the 3 way gimmick, 3way is absolutely the best way to do large scale stuff in an mmo, but i think 2 sided fights are better for smaller scale things) and then balanced groups on each team so that each team has roughly equivalent number of pre-grouped players and solo filler.

The people who got all excited thinking of rolling pubs with their 1337 premade, and the people who legitimately wanted a 4v4v4 premade more 'serious' experience have to realize that none of that works if you cant sustain the player population.

And the people insisting its (a) bug(s). Ive seen this kind of thing before, it may seem like bugs, and sure there may be potential fixes but understand the way matchmaking systems like this work is the matchmaker looks at people and tries to make games. It worked when a LOT of people were using it because it 'had enough to work with' to consistently get stuff going smoothly. When player count gets low matchmakers always start acting strange. If you look at any WG game, on low populated servers at off hours there can be enough people for a game all ready to go, but the matchmaker just wont trigger it, or it will decide to make some really weird lopsided game with half the team missing on one side and nobody can explain the logic it used to come to that outcome, and WG are really really good at designing matchmakers, they have patents and everything. Sure, i dont know whats going on under the hood, but i saw this coming, and if you are getting wierd/buggy behavior while trying to queue for BG (or groups in general), it could easily be just a low population problem screwing with the matchmaker, it has lead to this sort of thing in several games ive tested in the past when populations were low.
    Edited by Bringer on May 27, 2017 8:26AM
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bringer wrote: »
    It was fast at first because people were checking it out. This is entierly predictable and i warned that this would happen, BG will be dead within 3 months. 4v4v4 is a bad format for this games BG because it leaves out solo players, people arent going to queue solo to be matched against premade groups, they did at first to check it out but once they encounter a premade team dominating everything they will just go back to cyrodiil.

Make a solo queue you say? Yes that would help in some ways, but then there would not be enough people for the group queue to work, and while i think it should have been designed as solo-only from the start, the entire premise seems to be one of having a place for group vs group type play 'small scale' stuff as oposed to cyrodiils large scale. The issue is you wont sustain that with out solo players to fill in the gaps and make the queues faster, which solo players wont do after getting dominated by premades.

Basically the idea was bad to start with. They should have done something like 12vs12(vs12 if they really want to keep the 3 way gimmick, 3way is absolutely the best way to do large scale stuff in an mmo, but i think 2 sided fights are better for smaller scale things) and then balanced groups on each team so that each team has roughly equivalent number of pre-grouped players and solo filler.

The people who got all excited thinking of rolling pubs with their 1337 premade, and the people who legitimately wanted a 4v4v4 premade more 'serious' experience have to realize that none of that works if you cant sustain the player population.

And the people insisting its (a) bug(s). Ive seen this kind of thing before, it may seem like bugs, and sure there may be potential fixes but understand the way matchmaking systems like this work is the matchmaker looks at people and tries to make games. It worked when a LOT of people were using it because it 'had enough to work with' to consistently get stuff going smoothly. When player count gets low matchmakers always start acting strange. If you look at any WG game, on low populated servers at off hours there can be enough people for a game all ready to go, but the matchmaker just wont trigger it, or it will decide to make some really weird lopsided game with half the team missing on one side and nobody can explain the logic it used to come to that outcome, and WG are really really good at designing matchmakers, they have patents and everything. Sure, i dont know whats going on under the hood, but i saw this coming, and if you are getting wierd/buggy behavior while trying to queue for BG (or groups in general), it could easily be just a low population problem screwing with the matchmaker, it has lead to this sort of thing in several games ive tested in the past when populations were low.

Based on my experience so far, I think there are a lot more of us queueing solo. If they separate the 4-man premades, they might have to wait a little longer in queue to fight other premades, but that's kinda the point of the matchmaking system.

There are also a lot of premade groups that are just like 2 people queuing up so they end up on the same team, often not even using voice chat. If it's just 2 people, it can still be a pretty fair match.

Personally I like the 4v4v4 format, I play in Cyrodiil solo and I prefer jumping into battlegrounds solo without any premade groups. Never been interested in other MMOs, but I have played games like Team Fortress 2 quite a lot. It's fun when the teams are completely random, and sometimes the guy you were just trying to kill last match isnow helping you survive a tough fight.

In other games there is also usually way to vote to scramble the teams (or the server automatically scrambles) if they seem unfair.

Ultimately, as you mentioned, we need a lot more people participating (at all different skill levels) for the matchmaking system to result in fair matches. The other day I had a bunch of matches in a row that seemed pretty even. Then tonight I was in a match with some very low level beginner players on my team and the enemy team was premade using voice chat, all four quite strong PVP players with very high alliance rank. The players on my team got discouraged and stopped playing.

How do we get more beginners into BG if we first need a lot of beginners in order for them to have fair matches?

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on May 27, 2017 8:50AM
  • Bringer
    Bringer
    ✭✭✭
    [
    How do we get more ... if we first need
    You dont, which is the gist of my post. The overall design of the current system works against its own sustainable playerbase.

Separate queues might be enough to attract solo people and revitalize it somewhat in that form, and of course the old fallback of 'events' and such to create momentary surges can be applied... i dont know, such things will be finicky and as observed low population leads to lower population so in that regard its very much about avoiding the death spiral starting in the first place. But the thing with this idea is that everything about the design of the system makes me think that was designed for and intended to be used by premades, else they probably would have (or should have anyway) done things differently. Even some comments lead me to believe this was their intention.

So if, IF, it is salvageable in that form, it will result in a somewhat working system that goes against the developer intentions, and any time a mechanic or system does that you can expect them not to leave it well enough alone. So i dont know.

Its certainly possible they might be able to turn everything around and make it all function fabulously, but im not optimistic. Hope im wrong
  • mewcatus
    mewcatus
    ✭✭✭
    The only fun small scale PvP in terms of BGs is when its FFA, those cater to solo PvPers the best.
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭
    The que takes far longer than most matches do.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It depends how many people are queued.

A couple days ago I tried BG on live server for the first time and played for a few hours. Queue was really fast like 10 seconds or less each time, and all the teams seemed pretty evenly matched.

It does not depends on how many peoples are queued because it's broken. At primetimes queued pop every 10 seconds then disbands the group with "someone declined invitation" for anywhere from 3 to 300 times until actually working>.<

And just wait til you get in and are faced with the plethora bugs there are after that!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    This thread has been closed as it is not constructive and there are already other threads on this topic. If you wish to continue the discussion, please go to the thread here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.