Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Add New Weapon Enchantment: Deals [x] damage and taunts the target for [y] seconds.

Avran_Sylt
Avran_Sylt
✭✭✭✭✭
I dunno. popped into my head for a sec, not quite sure if it's any good, or just a crock o' shite. but could be used well with infused weapon traits to allow other weapon types to taunt enemies.

You guys got any ideas for weapon enchantments?
Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 27, 2017 4:16AM

Add New Weapon Enchantment: Deals [x] damage and taunts the target for [y] seconds. 48 votes

Sounds Interesting
35%
SolarikenFettkeewlRajajshkaFoulSnowpawAjaxduotherrieurDemycilianFodoreIl3rotherhoodDraqoneRouDeRAgentofKhaossspud1639FluffyReachWitchEvan8642ofSunholdPhytanic 17 votes
...What? No.
43%
LegacyDMSakiriotis67Lightspeedflashb14_ESOsebbanCalculated_RiskidkAhPook_Is_HereRinmaethodainNBrookusLadyNalcaryaSovjetBobby_V_Rockitmax_onlyraj72616aDoctordarkspawnTyrobagDeep_01mesmerizedishTragedyOA 21 votes
Other
6%
AvalonViolynneSTEVIL 3 votes
I Don't Care.
14%
MadyEdziutheher0notQbikenMorgul667Victimizeccfeeling 7 votes
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Well, everybody can get a ranged taunt from the undaunted line so... not sure if it would get use.

But let me suggest instead of keying it around offense, make it a variant of the hardening or resistance glyphs. Let it give a little less defense boost but also taunt.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    junk science. A tank is better using an enchant that reduces targets armor. The taunt idea would not be useful since it would be unreliable. Enchants only have a chance to proc. It would be the worst enchant in the game.
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds Interesting
    My werewolf would love to use that .
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

census says no, but let me clarify something:

Enchantments have a 100% chance to proc, they just have an internal GCD. Damaging enchantments have a GCD of 4 seconds per enchantment type, and other enchantments such as increase weapon damage or crusher have an internal GCD of 10 seconds and a duration of 5 seconds, they are not chance based.

Also, imagine backbar+resto/bow.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 27, 2017 12:09PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets skip over the mechanics of the Enchantment, as those can be sorted.

Lets talk about the mechanics of a group dungeon. There is a reason that Tanks don't want anyone using an Ice Staff in a Dungeon, it draws aggro. Tanks need to be the focus of boss, and trash mob aggro, in order to do their job. Which is keeping the attention of the boss and mobs on them as they can absorb the damage. Healers and DPS are by their very nature, Glass Canons and cannot take a lot of damage. Other players drawing aggro really mess up the tank and their role.

As far as most PvE Mobs goes, all you need to do to draw aggro is damage them if not just get close to them. There are even Skills like Entropy that will aggro mobs for you from a distance. Also, don't over look the Undaunted skill Inner Fire which also aggro's mobs.

So, good idea for the enchantment, just not something the game needs for the most part.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I don't know if I would want this on a weapon. There are times taunting one enemy or two is fine, but to taunt every enemy I fire at? No, thanks.

If there were a way to actually control this, I wouldn't see a problem with it. Funny thing about traits: we can infuse them, but we can't control them.

40 second cool-downs are stupid.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

census says no, but let me clarify something:

Enchantments have a 100% chance to proc, they just have an internal GCD. Damaging enchantments have a GCD of 4 seconds per enchantment type, and other enchantments such as increase weapon damage or crusher have an internal GCD of 10 seconds and a duration of 5 seconds, they are not chance based.

Also, imagine backbar+resto/bow.

@Avran_Sylt

So an enchant that would serve as a taunt would be unreliable. Thx for clarifying that. If a tank really wants to tank he needs to know he is taunting when he wants to taunt.

Further, when two tanks are required to swap targets (vMoL and vHoF) the enchant taunt idea is especially bad. It would often lead to taunt immunity and more often than not lead to wipes for the group.
    Edited by idk on May 27, 2017 3:09PM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

it isn't unreliable.. it's on a GCD with a 100% proc chance. That's very reliable if you know the mechanics.

Though, fair point on taunt immunity, what's the duration of taunt immunity anyway? I don't think it's the whole duration, is it?
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    They could, honestly, just add a "Taunts Target" enchantment, the damage part isn't all that needed. I think best way to do it would be, "Build taunt as if doing 300% damage" or something like that. Make the target 'THINK' you are doing more damage, without actually doing it. That way it could be used in conjunction with skill-taunts that force targets to attack you for a certain amount of time.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    What? Give you an automatic spammable on taunting proc sets? No way and completly op in pvp.
    Edited by LegacyDM on May 27, 2017 5:32PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

it isn't unreliable.. it's on a GCD with a 100% proc chance. That's very reliable if you know the mechanics.

Though, fair point on taunt immunity, what's the duration of taunt immunity anyway? I don't think it's the whole duration, is it?

For a tank it is unreliable. Especially since it will taunt when the tank does not want it to taunt.

Taunt immunity lasts until the last taunt applied by the first tank ends. That can be a fairly long duration that will cause wipes with the Hulk in vMoL and with the first boss in vHoF.

It is also a pointless enchant since there are three taunts in the game. More importantly, the debuffs from puncture are what is desired for increased group DPS.

It is cool OP thought about it, but it would not be a good idea in practice and would cause issues with groups unfamiliar with the mechanics.

EDIT: Correction, it would cause issues for any group that had a tank that used it when two tanks are in play.
    Edited by idk on May 27, 2017 5:40PM
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    Yes, let's make my life difficult because a DPS put this on their weapons for lulz.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sakiri

Unfortunately you'll still have the dps that light-weave puncture... Don't think that lulz issue will be exacerbated by this.

@Giles.floydub17_ESO

Oh, most definitely puncture is still gonna be the go to, but it'd also allow another avenue for ranged taunts (since in a sense you're imbuing the magic of inner fire into a weapon glyph). If I were to use it it'd be on a backbar resto staff on my tank. letting my resto staff both taunt and restore mag with a heavy attack, woo.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    I've yet to come across a s&b DPS.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sakiri

Don't pug normals as a tank if you're going for the monster trophies.. it's... well. It's a learning experience, for the rest of your group. I'll probably still pug them rather than soloing on my dps, since I enjoy helping new players learn the mechanics (and I'm probably some kind of masochist).
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Sakiri

Unfortunately you'll still have the dps that light-weave puncture... Don't think that lulz issue will be exacerbated by this.

@Giles.floydub17_ESO

Oh, most definitely puncture is still gonna be the go to, but it'd also allow another avenue for ranged taunts (since in a sense you're imbuing the magic of inner fire into a weapon glyph). If I were to use it it'd be on a backbar resto staff on my tank. letting my resto staff both taunt and restore mag with a heavy attack, woo.

There are two options for ranged taunts. Inner beast and ice staff.

An enchant that taunts when it procs is just plain a bad idea. It should not be in the game because it is a bad idea all around and servers no real purpose. If you want a taunt on your rstaff bar the magika morph of inner fire works just perfect.

A heavy attack from an ice staff will both taunt and restore magicka. Problem solves without adding problems. Perfect way to approach it.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

Yeah, inner beast works for sure, this would just be another option for players, giving them more choices. besides, I'd rather slot a resto on backbar than an ice so i can heal myself and my group a bit.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 27, 2017 7:40PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

Yeah, inner beast works for sure, this would just be another option for players, giving them more choices. besides, I'd rather slot a resto on backbar than an ice so i can heal myself and my group a bit.

Introducing a bad idea is just plain a bad idea. It is as simple as that. There is not defense to it.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

Well, in addition to the defense I supplied in my previous comment (which you blatantly ignored and dismissed) , it allows more build diversity. rather than delegating taunts to sword and board and ice staves, it would allow players multiple avenues of access to single target taunts.

While the general consensus is that the idea is unpopular,, it is not inherently a bad idea.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

Well, in addition to the defense I supplied in my previous comment (which you blatantly ignored and dismissed) , it allows more build diversity. rather than delegating taunts to sword and board and ice staves, it would allow players multiple avenues of access to single target taunts.

While the general consensus is that the idea is unpopular,, it is not inherently a bad idea.

Your previous comment did not offer anything that was not already in the game. One can tank and taunt without S&B or an ice staff. I already pointed that out.

I am speaking as one who has tanked end game content without S&B or an Ice staff. The popular way for the final boss in vDSA to be tanked is the healer tanks it most of the time and it is done with Inner Beast. Your thoughts, and the idea of the enchantment, would not change that. Healers are not going to carry a second staff for this purpose, most weapons we would use are to hard to get in the first place.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    Why on earth does this need to exist?
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

If you want to get technical, it would allow a melee non-sword and board taunt to exist. Currently the only non-class non-weapon taunt is solely ranged. If you wanted to look at the most basic uses, that's what'd add. But that is merely a portion of the uses.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 27, 2017 10:24PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

If you want to get technical, it would allow a melee non-sword and board taunt to exist. Currently the only non-class non-weapon taunt is solely ranged. If you wanted to look at the most basic uses, that's what'd add. But that is merely a portion of the uses.

They still have the undaunted taunt so nothing technical about it. Still nothing beneficial or at the very least, nothing uniquely beneficial.
    Edited by idk on May 27, 2017 10:25PM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

Which I mentioned, that's the non-class non-weapon ranged taunt. There is no non-class non-weapon melee taunt. but that's besides the point and only a very small part of what it'd add.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

Which I mentioned, that's the non-class non-weapon ranged taunt. There is no non-class non-weapon melee taunt. but that's besides the point and only a very small part of what it'd add.

range can be as short as 4 meters. Ok, really 1 meter. So it is irrelevant.
  • FoulSnowpaw
    FoulSnowpaw
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds Interesting
    Because Ice Staff literally ruins the group.
    An ice staff Warden thought he could tank but then he got 1-hit by the boss/ran around in circles and ruining AOEs placed by fellow dps and having the actual tank spam taunt(tanks DO NOT have a lot of resources, nope).
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

In that case, why not rework inner fire to apply both major resistance debuffs? and remove/rework the sword and board puncture ability into a more useful one? Since inner fire can be both stamina or magicka, as well as being melee and ranged capable.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 27, 2017 11:21PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

In that case, why not rework inner fire to apply both major resistance debuffs? and remove/rework the sword and board puncture ability into a more useful one? Since inner fire can be both stamina or magicka, as well as being melee and ranged capable.

No reason to. It should not be an identical ranged version of the S&B taunt.

Undaunted taunt permits range.
    S&B taunt permits debuf.

It is a trade off which as to which benefits are received. Choices like that are good for the game. If they both offered the debuff then there would be zero reason to use puncture.

One needs to look at the big picture for discussions like this.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

And a Taunt Enchantment would allow no resource expenditure and use with either ranged or melee, at the cost of being set to a GCD such that it cannot be spammed while neither adding a debuff or synergy chance.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...What? No.
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO

And a Taunt Enchantment would allow no resource expenditure and use with either ranged or melee, at the cost of being set to a GCD such that it cannot be spammed while neither adding a debuff or synergy chance.

and control is lost which means a significant chance for overtaunt. We already covered that.

I have no idea why you defend such a bad idea.