The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need help tweaking my mag dk

Vanzeii
Vanzeii
✭✭
Currently I use 5 heavy seducer/5 rattle 2 armor and 3 jewelry/2 light blood spawn and I switch it to grothdar from time to time
My front bar is sword and board while my back bar is a resto staff.

I was wondering if this was a decent build to use and how it would compare to seducer/bsw as I am currently missing a few pieces for bsw. Is the damage loss noticible using rattle instead of bsw? Another question is what do you guys put your champ points into besides hardy and elemental defender for the warrior constellation.
Edited by Vanzeii on April 28, 2017 4:47PM
Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
Characters
jxjx- dunmer dragon knight lvl 50
sexiperson- breton templar lvl 50
vextrax- nord nightblade lvl 29
tehsorc- high elf sorc lvl 50
Trying to get recognized for being the worst PvPer on xbox.
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is a decent build to use, resto seems odd but healing ward is good. BSW will give you higher burst when it procs(if you maintain your dots it will proc rendering it more sustainable damage than rattlecage). Rattle gives you good damage though; plus an extra ability slot which is amazing on MagDk. You will be fine, for cp however I put an okay amount into crit resistance and reducing Dot damage..and healing received.
    The Flyers
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is:

5 crafted Kagrenac's hope (fire staff/sword+shield, heavy chest, medium helmet, rest light). Yes that means i'm not using a complete monster set, the idea is to have two 5-piece bonuses on the staff bar.
    5 sun (3 jewelry, 2 armor)
    Kena shoulder

Built around fire heavy attacks (never understood the popularity of rattle on a class that can boost it's heavy attack damage by 40% and get major sorcery free as a part of the deal)

Fully charged fire heavy+stone giant+dragon leap kills anything that's not a tank. I'd even call it overpowered if it wasn't balanced by how obvious and easily defended the combo is - as long as the target is paying attention to you(needless to say - it's not a build for dueling).
    Edited by Sharee on April 28, 2017 5:22PM
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Mine is:

5 crafted Kagrenac's hope (fire staff/sword+shield, heavy chest, medium helmet, rest light, yes that means i'm not using a complete monster set)
    Kena shoulder

Built around fire heavy attacks (never understood the popularity of rattle on a class that can boost it's heavy attack damage by 40% and get major sorcery free as a part of the deal)

Fully charged fire heavy+stone giant+dragon leap kills anything that's not a tank. I'd even call it overpowered if it wasn't balanced by how obvious and easily defended the combo is - as long as the target is paying attention to you(needless to say - it's not a build for dueling).

Survivability in heavy is better and molten weapons heavy attack with a sword and shield(OP's build) is useless when entropy gives more max magic(scales for coagulating on back bar) plus an empower. Best offensive heavy armour set for mag dk pvp is rattlecage+bonus being a free ability. Maybe now you understand why sword and shield HA DK's use rattlecage or entropy over Molten. I guess I see what you're saying but I never seen a HA DK with a destro before.

Nice build, you should try bsw if it's in light armour; it's gnarly dude.
    The Flyers
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vanzeii wrote: »
    Currently I use 5 heavy seducer/5 rattle 2 armor and 3 jewelry/2 light blood spawn and I switch it to grothdar from time to time

I was wondering if this was a decent build to use and how it would compare to seducer/bsw as I am currently missing a few pieces for bsw. Is the damage loss noticible using rattle instead of bsw? Another question is what do you guys put your champ points into besides hardy and elemental defender for the warrior constellation.

Arcane Rattlecage jewelry, yes? I love Rattlecage mostly for the extra slot.

I run this build with minor changes -- 1 light seducer sash, a medium seducer bracers, to I can get more resist from heavy 2 piece bloodspawn. Dual S&B for me. Skoria is also good, but I would choose skoria over grothdarr for pvp at this point. I have some CP in resistant and ironclad. It's kind of a swiss army knife build. You can 1v1 open world, sometimes 1vX, resistant to ganks, and still tank a ton of damage for a group when needed with a few skill changes.

I like it for solo play a lot but the inevitable downfall of a swiss army knife build is that it has it's limitations. It's relatively low damage and low burst. There are going to be people who can burst you down and there are going to be tanky templars and such you just can't kill.

BSW is also an excellent set, and if more damage is what you are looking for it would be a good place to start.
  • Vanzeii
    Vanzeii
    ✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

I run this build with minor changes -- 1 light seducer sash, a medium seducer bracers, to I can get more resist from heavy 2 piece bloodspawn. Dual S&B for me. Skoria is also good, but I would choose skoria over grothdarr for pvp at this point. I have some CP in resistant and ironclad. It's kind of a swiss army knife build. You can 1v1 open world, sometimes 1vX, resistant to ganks, and still tank a ton of damage for a group when needed with a few skill changes.

I like it for solo play a lot but the inevitable downfall of a swiss army knife build is that it has it's limitations. It's relatively low damage and low burst. There are going to be people who can burst you down and there are going to be tanky templars and such you just can't kill.

BSW is also an excellent set, and if more damage is what you are looking for it would be a good place to start.

Currently I have two arcane and one healthy to get a bit of extra health
    Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
    Characters
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I recommend 3 arcane, then add 2 or 3 hakeijo gylphs for the extra health, and the stam will be helpful, too. I'm running 27k+ health, and that's honestly a lot when you have that much resist.
  • Vanzeii
    Vanzeii
    ✭✭

I recommend 3 arcane, then add 2 or 3 hakeijo gylphs for the extra health, and the stam will be helpful, too. I'm running 27k+ health, and that's honestly a lot when you have that much resist.

I would need to go into imperial city for a bit and currently I am at 25.4k in cyrodiil, most likely because I am not max cp
    Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
    Characters
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have max undaunted running 5+1+1? That will help as well.
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use 5 bsw 5 seducer and grothdarr
    double sword n board
    5 heavy 2 light

I never played a mag dk before and landing on this combo was the most effective for me. I had some bsw shields but using two light armor pieces help out quite a bit for sustain. I imagine it will be more important to have 2 light pieces in the morrowind update as well (for the reduce cost passives).

I also use decisive weapons. This combination allows me to have all spell damage enchants on my jewelry. Since the penetration you loose is not much compared to if you took away a sharpened staff or sharpened dual wield, the increased ult gain is very very nice.
  • Vanzeii
    Vanzeii
    ✭✭
    Do you have max undaunted running 5+1+1? That will help as well.

Yeah I have max undaunted, but I am currently running 5 heavy and 2 light for a bit of extra sustain
    Edited by Vanzeii on April 28, 2017 11:02PM
    Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
    Characters
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FlyLionel wrote: »
    Sharee wrote: »
    Mine is:

5 crafted Kagrenac's hope (fire staff/sword+shield, heavy chest, medium helmet, rest light, yes that means i'm not using a complete monster set)
    Kena shoulder

Survivability in heavy is better and molten weapons heavy attack with a sword and shield(OP's build) is useless when entropy gives more max magic(scales for coagulating on back bar) plus an empower. Best offensive heavy armour set for mag dk pvp is rattlecage+bonus being a free ability. Maybe now you understand why sword and shield HA DK's use rattlecage or entropy over Molten. I guess I see what you're saying but I never seen a HA DK with a destro before.

Nice build, you should try bsw if it's in light armour; it's gnarly dude.

Heavy gives better survivability (and i have a secondary set with 5 heavy vampire cloak for when i need it) but the lack of penetration from wearing 5 light pieces is very noticeable, people start surviving attacks that would have killed them before. Especially when you are trying to kill a templar - if you give him a second to recover he will just wave his hand and be back to full life (and start paying attention to you). Basically - use the right tool the situation calls for.

Molten weapon heavy attack i'm using with the fire staff, not S/S, obviously :)

BSW has the disadvantage of not being up when you first attack someone, so my opening combo would not be killing people like it can with sun. It would be better for dueling no doubt, but my primary gameplay scenario is keep defense/attack with many-on-many battles.