The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

I'm Worried About Proc Sets

LeifErickson
LeifErickson
✭✭✭✭✭
For those who have played on the PTS or fought in battlegrounds against opponents wearing proc sets, you will know how powerful these now are. Everyone knows why they are so good and why they will be even better next patch, but if nothing is done to solve the issue, proc sets are going to be very bad news. Really the only solution I see that would completely solve the issue is to just straight up have proc sets not work in pvp. If not that, something needs to be done or next patch may be even worse than this patch.

Edit:
I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post it here as well.

"It seems some people . . . don't understand what is actually wrong with proc sets. Most people get the arguments that proc sets require little to no resources to use, are high damage, have short cooldowns, can stack with other proc sets blah blah blah. All those arguments are good, and they show why proc sets are overpowered, but they don't show what is actually wrong with proc sets.

The real problem with proc sets is similar to what the real problem with mechanics like evasion are. When major evasion was 20%, most people agreed that it was overpowered. Some might say that if it was reduced it wouldn't be a problem. But the real problem with evasion isn't that it was a high chance, but that it had little to no counterplay. It is a chance to dodge an attack. Even if major evasion was a 3% chance, it still would have the same problem in that a mechanic like that where you can passively dodge an attack does not belong in an action based combat system like ESO.

Lets look at Viper's Sting. This proc set provides "invisible" damage. By that I mean the damage comes from no where. There is nothing in this game (to my knowledge) that a player can do to another player that provides invisible damage like this except burning light and implosion which are two things that also don't belong in an action based combat system, but that is for another thread (did I forget something?). A player can play every class in this game and learn every skill and passive and will always know exactly what is happening to them because they can SEE IT. If I am fighting a stamblade, I can see exactly what is happening to me because I can see (or hear) what the other player is doing and react accordingly. Unless there is some animation cancelling god out there that I have never fought, even the best animation cancellers can't take this mechanic away. But Viper's Sting can. Now you might say that you can count the 4 seconds so you know when you will be hit by the Viper's Sting next, which is true, but there are other mechanics to take that away as well. For one, if the person hasn't attacked you yet, you won't know they are wearing the proc set. While there is potential to remember the motif of the set and play extra cautious against someone with that motif in case they MIGHT be wearing the set, that is also taken away by things like costumes and polymorphs. And if a player doesn't have addons to see when the Viper's Sting hits them, is it even possible to tell that they got hit by the proc except to guess? In that case, they wouldn't even be able to count it off.

Another powerful proc set is Selene's. This proc is different than Viper's Sting in that you can see it. However, it isn't a guarantee like Viper is. Yes you can count the cooldown off in your head, but it's a proc chance. Once you know the set is off cooldown, since it's a chance to proc the only real counterplay is to play extra defensively on the hard hitters and maybe even try to personally get hit by the soft hitters you can more easily outheal. However, that is much easier said than done. If that stamblade incaps you and you take the ult unblocked, if that Selene's procs, there is nothing you can do. You can make the argument that you should just never get hit by the incap, but as other people have pointed out, is it fair that that player is able to get that "free" damage like that? While you can actually see this proc set and hear it, it isn't as bad as sets like Viper, but still is probably overpowered in that it can be too strong when combined with heavy hitters like incap, making it basically unavoidable.

Valkyn Skoria is another powerful proc set. This set you can actually see and hear, unlike Viper's Sting. This set is strong for the other reasons people have stated, but it isn't the "invisible" damage like Viper's Sting is because you can actually listen for it and react accordingly. However, that's not to say that it isn't overpowered, it just isn't part of the problem I am specifically stating.

And then everyone's favorite set, Tremorscale. This set is a little weird in that it is instant like Viper's Sting, but different in that it is a proc chance (but insanely high!) and can only proc off taunts. This one isn't as bad as Viper because you can see it and you can also look for the taunt ability and count off the cooldown. Since it only procs off taunts, you can try to be extra cautious when you see the taunt ability come. While it may not have the same problem as Viper, it is still probably overpowered for the reasons others have stated.

In conclusion, proc sets specifically like Viper's Sting (they proc instantly off damage and provide no animation) have little to zero counterplay because it is almost impossible to identify them (especially if you have no addons). However, all proc sets are probably overpowered because of reasons like they require little to no resources to use, are high damage, have short cooldowns, can stack with other proc sets, etc. Proc sets like Viper's Sting should straight up not exist in an action based combat system like ESO, even if they only did 1k damage, because they are "invisible." Other proc sets are still too powerful and need to be changed.

Some might say that ESO isn't a competitive enough game for what I said to matter. You may be right and I guess I can't really argue with that. But we want this game to be the best it can possibly be, right?

Also, anyone have the link to that one article about how proc sets are worth about 3000 weapon damage? I think it was a Tamriel Foundry article, but I don't remember exactly what it said and I can't find it."
Edited by LeifErickson on April 28, 2017 1:22AM
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not on PTS but if by simply wearing tremor or skoria/veli is allowing you to get consistent kills while fully going into sustain+heavy attack mode..smh.
    The Flyers
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Stamblade with proc sets will be so OP :(
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Zvorgin
    Zvorgin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defiler + viper...
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the no Proc damage sets in PvP, or make them use resource when they trigger ;) otherwise they kinda wreck the point of the sustain changes!!

I do feel for some of the old proc sets, same as the crit change in Update 13 like Trimiacs Valor or Mal of Infernal etc it made them more useless but the potent ones something should have happened a while ago for PvP. Weopons kill. Armour shouldnt
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm I was worried this would happen. Thanks Leif.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zvorgin wrote: »
    Defiler + viper...

How to spot someone who doesn't play on the PTS: They think Defiler is good
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Now imagine if a class had access to minor Berserk and had a passive that increases their physical damage by say... 6%. That would just be crazy now wouldn't it? :wink:
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zvorgin wrote: »
    Defiler + viper...

I thought of the same combo for my stamina nightblade, (who's already wearing the viper set), as soon as I saw the stats for Defiler. Those 2 sets with 50 - 60 CPs pumped into the defile passive, good times for gankers.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Drishtan
    Drishtan
    ✭✭✭
    They need to add the line Can on be used only dungeon and trial mobs and problem fixed...
    Edited by Drishtan on April 27, 2017 8:30PM
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For those who have played on the PTS or fought in battlegrounds against opponents wearing proc sets, you will know how powerful these now are. Everyone knows why they are so good and why they will be even better next patch, but if nothing is done to solve the issue, proc sets are going to be very bad news. Really the only solution I see that would completely solve the issue is to just straight up have proc sets not work in pvp. If not that, something needs to be done or next patch may be even worse than this patch.

I haven't played in Battlegrounds and I don't know why they will be so powerful. They already were nerfed so they can't ctit anymore. Can someone explain please?
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They´ve been nerfed so much.Stop complaining just because players find new "metas" or old ones
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

To offset that some, nightblades already lost additional damage on attacking out of stealth.

I'll miss that...
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »

I haven't played in Battlegrounds and I don't know why they will be so powerful. They already were nerfed so they can't ctit anymore. Can someone explain please?

CP regulates them with the resistances. Defense passives are stronger than the offense ones. For example say due to CP your damage is increased from 100 to 125, well someone that has 20% mitigation from CP will only take 100 damage. Meaning even though you invested way more into your damaging passives (25% damage increase) the person who only invested enough to get 20% will counter your 25%. In non CP you'll take the full 100 damage. This is why being able to double dip, or even triple double from CP can potentially make you weaker than the person who's build revolves around one CS passive.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

To offset that some, nightblades already lost additional damage on attacking out of stealth.

I'll miss that...

Good riddance, now we might actually get a buff outside of stealth.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In no cp your stats are already limited as is. Everyone has lower crit/health/stam/mag etc. A proc set like viper basically becomes extremely powerful because it does two main things.

1) It grants FREE GUARANTEED damage every time it procs (Viper has CD of 4 seconds) in a campaign where damage is already pretty limited as well as the resources needed to do said damage. There is absolutely no downside to an offensive player getting guaranteed damage especially when it costs them nothing to do said damage.

2) So while the free damage comes at no cost from the attacker, the defending player is essentially doubling their resource usage to simply try and outheal/outshield that guaranteed free damage. So while one player is skill-lessly whacking away getting absurd amounts of damage the other is "skillfuly" trying to simply stay alive burning most of their resources in the process.

TL;DR: GUARANTEED FREE DAMAGE is never good for any pvp game. Especially in a game mode where damage is meant to be toned down in the first place. But that's just my opinion.
    Edited by Moglijuana on April 27, 2017 8:57PM
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Drishtan
    Drishtan
    ✭✭✭

CP regulates them with the resistances. Defense passives are stronger than the offense ones. For example say due to CP your damage is increased from 100 to 125, well someone that has 20% mitigation from CP will only take 100 damage. Meaning even though you invested way more into your damaging passives (25% damage increase) the person who only invested enough to get 20% will counter your 25%. In non CP you'll take the full 100 damage. This is why being able to double dip, or even triple double from CP can potentially make you weaker than the person who's build revolves around one CS passive.

BATTLE GROUNDS ARE NO CP???? HOW IS CP GOING TO BALANCE THEM????
  • Drishtan
    Drishtan
    ✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »

In no cp your stats are already limited as is. Everyone has lower crit/health/stam/mag etc. A proc set like viper basically becomes extremely powerful because it does two main things.

1) It grants FREE damage every time it procs (Viper has CD of 4 seconds) in a campaign where damage is already pretty limited as well as the resources needed to do damage. There is absolutely no downside to an offensive player getting free damage especially when it costs them nothing to do said damage.

2) So while the free damage comes at no cost from the attacker, the defending player is essentially doubling their resource usage to simply try and outheal/outshield that guaranteed free damage. So while one player is skill-lessly whacking away getting absurd amounts of damage the other is "skillfuly" trying to simply stay alive.

TL;DR: GUARANTEED FREE DAMAGE is never good for any pvp game. But that's just my opinion.

Yes this!!! Also these proc sets should already be on a 10 sec cooldown to be in line with their old destructive mage set that had a 10 sec cooldown.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Drishtan wrote: »

BATTLE GROUNDS ARE NO CP???? HOW IS CP GOING TO BALANCE THEM????

I'm sorry, I won't answer a question that was asked in all caps like an emotional toddler. Try again.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They need to add the line Can on be used only dungeon and trial mobs and problem fixed...

Vicious Death. A set only from PVP that procs damage only against players that can't be used in PVP lulz.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »

Sure if they bring back the abiity for procset to crit in PvE then I´m all for.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

I'll miss that...

Good riddance, now we might actually get a buff outside of stealth.

Buff NB? You're hilarious.

Like that will ever happen.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything balanced for CP will be used and abused in no CP PvP.

Because ZoS things there is a "single unifying mechanics" that govern PvP.

Free damage with less resources is too good to pass up.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Astrid_V

I updated the OP. It does answer your question, but it also goes into why proc sets are strong beyond what's happening next patch. With the sustain changes and what not, proc sets are going to be better, but there are other components to it as well.
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The edit to the OP is a thorough review of the core issue with proc sets, implosion, burning light, and invisible damage sources in general.

I would love to have seen Viper reworked, perhaps given the Hunger proc from the new Defiler set instead of making an all new set, Tremor given a delay, Valkyn made blockable, implosion and burning light reworked...the list goes on.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All u need is a global procset cooldown and each proc should cost u ressources.
  • wimhwimladimf
    wimhwimladimf
    ✭✭✭
    PvP shouldnt have so much RNG, because it reduces impact of player skill. If ZOS really wants to make more proc sets, at least make them high risk -> high reward instead of low risk & spray and pray.

Having to deal with critical hits some various ability proc passives/actives is already enough, we dont need more RNG in PvP.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm worried about the middle east
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Koolio wrote: »

Sure if they bring back the abiity for procset to crit in PvE then I´m all for.

Agreed they could have just stopped crit proc sets for PVP in battlespirit? Now PVE got nerfed(staminas best undaunted piece velidreth slapped, and skoria as well). Sometimes I wonder.
    The Flyers
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Proc set meta for sure for morrowind. for sure.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭