The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Miat's PVP Alerts just got updated! Now in 3D!

• Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. K. so just tested it out. seems that you only get the attack notifications while your crosshairs are directly over the enemy character. and it only shows a small ability icon. That's..... not at all what I was expecting when you described it as attack notifications.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm. k. it really isn't as useful as I thought. kinda sucks actually. everything else about the addon is kinda nice, but is a bit cluttered in my opinion. Hmm. well I made a whole lot outta nothing. Sorry for wasting your time.
  • Roovin
    Roovin
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else find it funny that the devs are trying (their words) to better balance PvE and PvP with the Morrowind expansion and yet this add-on is effectively destroying PvP for a lot of the few players who actually pvp.

• Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roovin wrote: »
    Anyone else find it funny that the devs are trying (their words) to better balance PvE and PvP with the Morrowind expansion and yet this add-on is effectively destroying PvP for a lot of the few players who actually pvp.

You might've misspelled 'makes PVP better':)

Hi.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dorrino wrote: »

@Cathexis edit: I sent you a PM instead of posting it here, lol.

I've read it nonetheless:D

FYI
    https://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disadvantage
    an unfavorable, inferior, or prejudicial condition

Exactly! That's what i'm asking. I'm asking how exactly NOT using the addon puts players into an unfavorable, inferior, or prejudicial condition:)

Seems that we have a consensus that the addon gives its users some advantage. But advantage is a meaningless word unless we provide a reference point. Advantage over what/whom?

There're 2 ways of looking at advantage within the context of the addon.

One way is advantage over the same player, but without the addon. Say you had a 'skill' of 5. Now with addon you have that 'skill' of 7. This is as advantage. But it is an advantage of the player over himself.

All interface addons by definition provide that advantage. Actually this is the only reason people use them. Thus claiming that my addon allows for a better (easier, less frustrating, more efficient) pvp gameplay is obvious. Any buff tracker or custom unit frames, even any kill counter provides an advantage over not using them. Again before using a bufftracker a player had a 'skill' of 5, now he knows better when to renew his buffs and what debuffs he has on myself, he chooses better pvp decisions and thus his pvp 'skill' becomes 7. Due to the bufftracker.

The second way of understanding 'advantage' is 'advantage over other players'. You can see that if there's a say universal metrics of pvp skills then people using a bufftracker (or my addon) obtain a higher 'rank' in this metrics. Thus any addon useful in pvp increases the pvp 'skill' of its user compared to both himself and other players.

The question is whether NOT using the addon puts the player at a DISADVANTAGE. To claim that, using an example from above, you need to say that if that player never used my addon (or a bufftracker) his 'skill' would have plateaued at 5. It needs to be shown that the player would have never gained that level of 7 otherwise. Only then NOT using the addon (or a bufftracker) would be a disadvantage.

So in the light of all that i ask again, how come players can't get the same level that they allegedly obtain with the addon by themselves? Because they can't see behind them? But what about the fabled prediction and anticipation or even frantic camera rotation?:)

I'm really curious if there's is an example when NOT using the addon would put the player at a disadvantage compared to another player who uses it. Thank you.
    To put it differently, so you can understand (you have shown you are lacking in that department)

Lacking advantage is too disadvantage.
    Also lacking skills to utilize given advantage does not make the advantage potential.

It is really fortunate that using personal insults increases the credibility of one's words:) Now i understand your point better!

For what it's worth I don't have an issue with this addon. If it's information ZOS has available, more power to you and the addon is top rate. The 3D icons are awesome, the integration into keep status and resource status by hovering over them is great. The fact I can look at the 3rd icon of the mine and see the flag status exactly and know whether I can get there in time is helpful.

But the topic of "I'm really curious if there's is an example when NOT using the addon would put the player at a disadvantage compared to another player who uses it. Thank you." I can answer for you.

Those with it installed are hard to hard cast on, particularly 1v1 or small man combat. Anything that has a travel time is clearly notified of and easily avoided by anyone that can press dodge roll in a reasonable time. It makes for landing a casted crystal frag or snipe on anyone not preoccupied difficult. Keep in mind that while the addon will not reveal a heavy attack from stealth, it does notify on any "cast" from stealth.

The difference between those with the addon and those without is so drastically huge as to say it makes them a far better player than they really are. In situations where the notification would mean something, of course. In a big skirmish, the addon is marginally helpful. But if you are sitting on siege and paying attention, it's the difference between being ganked and not.

In particular the ability to be notified, with plenty of time to spare, of an attack from a stealthed/invisible or ranging player is too powerful. It's actually a bit ridiculous that ZOS even allows it, but they do so there is no issue with the addon author to me.

The primary reply to when NOT using the addon would put the player at a disadvantage compared to another player who uses it is those that don't get sniped out and die. Those that do, only do if they were getting a beer or otherwise distracted.

Lastly, it also benefits those exploiting the living hell out of critical charges and bar swaps moreso than anyone else. Because these worthless hacks apply their damage about the same time as the notification of the attack and make the addon not functional due to their dubious play-style. Particularly the "I am skilled" but am actually just exploiting a critical charge into viper set via barswap macro to apply damage you can't avoid even with the addon. It's why their "play-style" is largely unaffected by the addon, but they gain the benefit of being notified of any hard cast on them that isn't using bs cheaty garbage.

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dorrino wrote: »
    I'm very proud to announce that Miat's Pvp Alerts just received a major update.

Now

pvw5464.jpg

with

pvw5460.jpg

3D icons!

pvw5458.jpg

And other features!

pvw5463.jpg

Update description:

All pvp objectives (resources, keeeps, towns, ic districts) as well as various locations on the map (Ayleid wells, delves, camps, crossswords) now have 3d icons in the gameworld on top of them.

Added icons for Alessia Bridge and Chalman and Ash Gates. The icons have the color of the faction that currently has Alessia, Chalman or Ash keeps respectively.

The icon shows faction owning the objective, its under attack status, number of sieges status and its capture status.

You can mouseover the icons to see the name of the objective, your distance from it and exact number of sieges near it.

Map pings (player waypoint, rally point, players' pings) will also have 3d icons in the gameworld at their location.

As a side feature, if you're in a group and place player waypoint on the map the addon automatically places your ping at the same position (the ping will disappear in a few seconds).

While at your faction gates you will see a special icons. If you mouseover it a frame with current campaign information (campaign name, current score, emperor status and your position in the campaign) will appear.

All 3d icons can be seen through by the terrain, just like ZOS quest\group markers.

Grab it HERE

Now it feels like having a DBZ scouter xD
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique