The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What's the point of motifs?

ereboz
ereboz
✭✭✭✭
I love the motifs in the game, but what's the point of them if the best gear is mostly dropped gear, not crafted. And the monster sets are usually best for helm and shoulder. I'd like to see a transmog system that let us turn armor into a certain style that we already know the motif for.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what crafters have been complaining about from the start.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Incoming dead horse meme in 5...4...3...2...1...
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Master writs & styles
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, with One Tamriel I was hoping that all the triples of crafting stations would be revamped to be unique per zone since there are no longer restrictions, that did not happen.

After hearing drop sets being zone allocated, functioning like Orsinium, with brand new ones coming in, I wanted to believe these changes would be inclusive to crafting gear so the majority of things would be on par.

Crafting is redundant, time spent learning traits for no absolute reason (other than maybe making nirn) besides perhaps 5 decent sets is just not profitable and little diverse for builds. Having drop sets improved is just a bit insulting, but not surprising.
    Edited by SirMewser on March 31, 2017 7:03PM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is a pointless job in this game. Which is odd, as it's so pivotal to TES itself.

It's certainly complained about enough that the devs are aware, so they either don't really care, or are too lame to work out how to fix it.

As I've always said, ESO is a really great idea let down due to the actions of imbeciles.
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct. They are becoming pointless (besides master writs) because drop sets have taken over.

The Developers really need to revamp the crafting system.

Honestly though, I feel like Jewelry crafting would solve the problem.
    PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
    Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jewelry crafting would not solve the problem. a lot of current BiS sets you want the jewelry and weapon slots in and they are all drop gear.

They would need to make the drop sets craftable which would devalue the drop sets.

its a lose -lose situation unfortunately.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd settle for crafters being able to alter armor and weapon styles based on the motifs they know. Doing so should bind the item to the account so that we don't have transmog services being spammed in chat, but instead having this as a benefit for those who have invested in crafting.

PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    jewelry crafting would not solve the problem. a lot of current BiS sets you want the jewelry and weapon slots in and they are all drop gear.

They would need to make the drop sets craftable which would devalue the drop sets.

its a lose -lose situation unfortunately.

I have to respectably disagree.
    If jewelry crafting were to exist then you could wear two full sets that were crafted + weapons of your choice. It would allow for many more builds to be created.

Drop sets are great because of jewelry - allowing you to wear 2 full sets. That is why everyone wears them.
    PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
    Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buff crafted sets please. Especially some of those 6, 7, 8 and 9 trait sets that nobody uses.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Busy work hunting for them
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ereboz wrote: »
    I love the motifs in the game, but what's the point of them if the best gear is mostly dropped gear, not crafted. And the monster sets are usually best for helm and shoulder. I'd like to see a transmog system that let us turn armor into a certain style that we already know the motif for.

Some of us worry less about having the best gear and more about looking

FABULOUS!!!!! B)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Incoming dead horse meme in 5...4...3...2...1...
    I only have a smilie ...

dead_horse.gif
  • meowbert
    meowbert
    Soul Shriven
    dead-horse.gif
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    I think the original idea behind the trait system was that it would be harder to get items with traits. Somwhere along the way traits became really easy to get, and I'm not sure they really understood how easy players would be able to craft traits for others if they could not find a trait.

After Nirnhoned they basicly gave up on crafting and went along with motifs. Motifs the way we have them today was not the intended way to go about it. Traits were supposed to be the grind so to speak.

I remember i wrote something about it back in beta forums, that it would be fun for a few days then become a long waiting game.

I would just have prefered a normal recipe system to what we have today. If we had recipes then they could drop in dungeons and be real rewards. I know they have added motifs to dungeons now, and with the master crafting it's something but not really the same league TBH.

Reason they scrapped Trait system is as far as I know that they realised only a tiny % of the playerbase play for 12 months, most players play 1-3 months and it goes downhill from there. So if they had gone on with 10,12,12 traits they would have rewarded only a small % of players and give nothing to the rest.

So the Motif system is a handbrake, it dosen't destroy what people have put into research, but any player can collect motifs from day1, and be rewarded, That's also why not only the top crafters get rewarded in master writts, they want to throw some bones to new players too.
    Edited by doggie on March 31, 2017 8:55PM
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play time and gold sink for people who like crafting.
  • LightninTramp
    LightninTramp
    ✭✭
    I love crafting my own gear, I love having Argonian style armor for my Argonian and I like the effort it takes to get the set gear I want. Motifs are my way of customizing a game that seems to sometimes shun customization. My armor is quite capable in PvE and since I don't PvP, I really enjoy making something special. And soon, my Argonian Hunts-With-Zeal will be sporting a set of Daedric heavy armor.

So, motifs are for players like me!
    You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there. - Yogi Berra
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    There are sets that can only be obtained by crafting, here is the list:
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirMewser wrote: »
    Agreed, with One Tamriel I was hoping that all the triples of crafting stations would be revamped to be unique per zone since there are no longer restrictions, that did not happen.

After hearing drop sets being zone allocated, functioning like Orsinium, with brand new ones coming in, I wanted to believe these changes would be inclusive to crafting gear so the majority of things would be on par.

Crafting is redundant, time spent learning traits for no absolute reason (other than maybe making nirn) besides perhaps 5 decent sets is just not profitable and little diverse for builds. Having drop sets improved is just a bit insulting, but not surprising.
    Julianos is just a few % behind BSW for magic DPS.
    Crafted sets is obvious for leveling and you have utility sets like the sneak at running speed one.
    You will have a few bis sets in any settings
    Weird part julianos sells for 10k

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Argawarga
    Argawarga
    ✭✭✭✭
    meowbert wrote: »
    dead-horse.gif

Can we get a GIF of a man beating the dead horse meme? Seems meta at this point.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love a transmogrification system, in game, in store, who cares, just give me a reason to hunt for these hideously ugly dropped sets and two pieces,

I know they are often better than a lot of crafted, but I'm not using them if they look so poor, and no the costumes are not an alternative as none of them right really capture my imagination. I'm willing to loose on power if it means I can make a character look how I want

Maybe you could find or buy a stone of some kind, then you find a master Crafter who tunes it to a certain style and then you apply it to a piece of gear in your possession, I'd go for that :)
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    SirMewser wrote: »

Julianos is just a few % behind BSW for magic DPS.
    Crafted sets is obvious for leveling and you have utility sets like the sneak at running speed one.
    You will have a few bis sets in any settings
    Weird part julianos sells for 10k

Also, crafted Julianos is one of the very few good magic sets that can be delivered in heavy armor. I've tried virtually every possible magic set this game has to offer that doesn't require running the same dungeon 865,000 times. I have over 400 CP 160 pieces in my bank and on my mules with the correct traits.

And I still use Julianos.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master writs revived its usefulness
    Edited by akl77 on March 31, 2017 9:37PM
    Pc na
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    praglaud wrote: »
    Crafting is a pointless job in this game. Which is odd, as it's so pivotal to TES itself.

It's certainly complained about enough that the devs are aware, so they either don't really care, or are too lame to work out how to fix it.

As I've always said, ESO is a really great idea let down due to the actions of imbeciles.

Master writs give you a ton of gold in game even though the prices have come down alot, still a chance at some very big payouts