The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Jester's Festival Illusion Dazzlers Disappearing

Kildayen
Kildayen
✭✭✭✭✭
I am trying to complete the achievements for the Jester's Festival. Yesterday all of my illusion dazzlers disappeared from my inventory. I tried disabling all of my addons. I relogged. I checked my bank and merchants. Nothing. Today I just did one of the quests and I had some dazzlers as a reward. As soon as I looted them, they disappeared. I received my 7th Jester's Banner, but all of the dazzlers disappeared again. Please help.

Here is a picture proving that I looted them.

ydCzACK.jpg
  • Delgent
    Delgent
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the same thing happen. At first I thought I just wasn't getting them, but this morning I took note of what I was looting out of the boxes and the dazzlers I looted from the bag disappeared. I disabled all add-ons, restarted the client, and counted my inventory line by line. They vanished.

I've done all three daily quests every day since the even launched on this character and he has zero dazzlers in his inventory. If this continues, I won't be able to get the event completion. No idea what is causing it, but I'm starting to see some other people mention it here and in game.

Glad to know it's not just me, I thought maybe I had moved a step closer to senility!
    To live for good is to die in the name of honor.
    SEEK AND DESTROY
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Last night, all of the Illusion Dazzlers disappeared from Ace Firelight's inventory after he submitted an Alchemy Crafting Writ to the drop-off container in Belkarth, Craglorn. I cannot recall how many, if any, Jester's Banners were in the bags at the time (there were probably at least two), but there were none afterward.

Gameplay Autoloot was enabled at the time, so when I opened the payoff container, everything was removed to the Crafting Bag without a dialog displayed. The crafted item was the first of six that were made to complete yesterday's daily Crafting Writs, and I dis-enabled Autoloot before submitting the others. The Alchemist's Vessel did not contain a Sealed Alchemy Crafting Writ.

This outcome has never occurred before, so perhaps some change(s) to the game host were made recently that did not require an update to the game client.

For what it may be worth, I doubt that the option to automatically loot reward containers was enabled for Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Creator (Autoloot is dis-enabled when that option is enabled). Albeit, I'm not sure whether that option is enabled by default after I update the add-on, so it might have been in effect. Ordinarily, the only options that I enable in Lazy Writ Creator are for crafting items while my PCs are at crafting stations. Even there, the items required for a Crafting Writ are not crafted until I use the mouse cursor to activate the routines implemented in the add-on.

In my 45+ years of experience, enabling any software to do anything "automatically" risks some failure, usually catastrophic, when some bug sooner or later becomes manifest under unusual and unlikely, but possible, circumstances. It can be difficult to anticipate all contingencies, and time-consuming to write the software to handle them -- which is one reason so much code has been written without regard to whether a hostile attacker can compromise it.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the only thing disappearing.
    I've had repeatedly had reward items (laundered items) disappear after completing thieves' guild board repeatable quests tonight. I repeated them at least 5 times as a test, and each time, the laundered items simply vanish from my inventory.

Please have a look at this, ZOS. @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Vesirott
    Vesirott
    Soul Shriven
    +1 here. Not dazzlers dissapearing, but the branch thingy you use to give other players halo (the name escapes me now). Exactly the same symptoms - after looting everything else (including dazzlers) are present in inventory except the missing item. Tried opening the box without any addons - same result. Would appreciate a solution before the festival ends...

Edit: Okay, I had time to run some tests and I figured it out. It is not enough to disable addons, you have to remove them completely from "view". Easiest way to do this is to rename your "Elder Scrolls Online" folder to something else temporarily, start the game, go through the first time setup (EULAs, region selection etc) and go into game. I tested it and opened another festival box and this time the Cherry Blossom Twigs did not dissapear. I do recommend to NOT delete your preferences folder under My Documents, just rename it until you are done with festival event. Hope it helps.
    Edited by Vesirott on March 29, 2017 6:29PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it.

It's Wykkyd's loot manager. There's a setting there with which white items with zero value get deleted automatically. Switching off this function solves the problem. At least it did for me.

• Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it.

It's Wykkyd's loot manager. There's a setting there with which white items with zero value get deleted automatically. Switching off this function solves the problem. At least it did for me.

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately for me, I do not have that addon installed.
  • fhionnuisce20
    fhionnuisce20
    Soul Shriven
    Same issue here. Last night I did some Jester's Boxes, upon opening the dazzlers were in the loot window but then not in my inventory. Today, a bunch of pickpocketed items dissappeared, and also the laundered shipment that's in the Thieves Daily reward box also disappeared after opening it. Guild mates have reported same issue. Porting before opening might help. i do not have Wykkyds Loot Manager either.
  • Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    I've had this problem repeatedly throughout the Jester Festival on all eight of my characters. I've tried various solutions including relogging, switching off AddOns and selecting dazzlers specifically rather than using the Take All option on the Jester Boxes. Nothing seems to work reliably, sometimes they appear in your inventory, but on the majority of occasions they just disappear without a trace.

I've submitted tickets on two occasions now and in the first instance Zeni placed the missing Dazzlers in my character inventory for me.

However, the worst case I've had so far was the loss of 30-50 Dazzlers that i purchased at great expense from Guild Stores to allow all my characters to complete their 50 x dazzler achievement. There were five or six purchases and the mails arrived in my inbox prompt;y with the dazzlers attached. But when I selected take attachment the dazzlers disappeared from the mail but never appeared in my inventory, and i have no idea where they went.
  • moonbat
    moonbat
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to me too. I went through 8 characters and opened up one festival box on each character. The Dazzlers disappeared on about half of them, and I did not have any addons enabled.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it.

Also, Master Merchant has had a bug where traded items in houses disappear from inventory for no reason when you leave the home unless you specifically check your inventory right after the trade before you leave. My friend and I tested it since I do not have the issue because the only addons I use are lorebooks and skyshards.

It was likely caused by an addon so you should disable them and then /reloadui and then try again to see if the issue is fixed. Then, enable your addons again one by one to see which causes it, if any.

Edit:
    You may need to use the launcher repair function to check and repair your game install also.
    I seriously have had no inventory/loot disappearing ever despite having done the quests a lot as well and having gamepad mode enabled with area loot. Although, I do not have auto-loot enabled as I can easily just hit one button to loot all and like to see the items first anyway.
    Try disabling auto-loot then /reloadui.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on April 2, 2017 10:55AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it.

Also, Master Merchant has had a bug where traded items in houses disappear from inventory for no reason when you leave the home unless you specifically check your inventory right after the trade before you leave. My friend and I tested it since I do not have the issue because the only addons I use are lorebooks and skyshards.

It was likely caused by an addon so you should disable them and then /reloadui and then try again to see if the issue is fixed. Then, enable your addons again one by one to see which causes it, if any.

Edit:
    You may need to use the launcher repair function to check and repair your game install also.
    I seriously have had no inventory/loot disappearing ever despite having done the quests a lot as well and having gamepad mode enabled with area loot. Although, I do not have auto-loot enabled as I can easily just hit one button to loot all and like to see the items first anyway.
    Try disabling auto-loot then /reloadui.

Thank you for your input.
    I've tried EVERYTHING. Including DELETING (not only disabling...) all add-ons. And repairing the client. And relaoding the UI. EVERYTHING. I don't use auto-loot.
    Dazzlers and laundered items still disappear randomly.
    I haven't had issues with furniture items... but that's likely because I haven't traded any at all.

There are people reporting stolen items disappearing as well.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried EVERYTHING. Including DELETING (not only disabling...) all add-ons. And repairing the client. And relaoding the UI. EVERYTHING. I don't use auto-loot.
    I haven't had issues with furniture items... but that's likely because I haven't traded any at all.

There has to be SOME cause though, something different between my game and yours.
    Have you put in an in game ticket and worked with support yet? Any detail about what is going on when this happens? Any lag at the time noticeable even?
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on April 2, 2017 11:19AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There has to be SOME cause though, something different between my game and yours.
    Have you put in an in game ticket and worked with support yet? Any detail about what is going on when this happens? Any lag at the time noticeable even?

I've tried to figure it out, but no, I could not identify any constant circumstance that may have caused it.
    The most troubling aspects being that it doesn't happen all the time.
    I open one Covetous Countess reward box and I have the laundered items in my inventory. I do another of those quests without changing anything to my configuration or setting, on the same character, and whoops... I see the laundered items in the box, but upon transferring them from the bow into my inventory ("select" or "select all") they simply vanish. It seems to happen purely randomly. I agree that there HAS to be a cause but I can't figure it out, especially since it doesn't happen consistently.
    Same issues with dazzlers, either from a reward box or bought from a guild store.

• Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad we can't see the actual interaction code, or at least some sort of log of when and what is looted, to help us determine at least where the disconnect that causes it is. I miss that option from other games, such as City of Heroes where it was very thorough.

Try turning on loot history, if you don't have it on, to see if it indicates it going into your inventory at all. If it doesn't then it isn't even adding it to your inventory and there lies the problem. You can narrow it down that way.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try turning on loot history, if you don't have it on, to see if it indicates it going into your inventory at all. If it doesn't then it isn't even adding it to your inventory and there lies the problem. You can narrow it down that way.

It shows up in loot history. But not in inventory :-(

• Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It shows up in loot history. But not in inventory :-(

That means it at least makes it to your inventory and is then deleted somehow.

or....I had a weird bug 2 months ago which had been going on for a month. I had been lag-kicked from the server while crafting a "Firsthold Fruit and Cheese Plate" for my provisioning writ daily. I logged back in to it showing loot history for that every single time with a weird looting sound, but no more of that item than I once had. It didn't happen when it wasn't in my inventory at all though, at least the loot history.
    It was apparently caused by an active effect on my character, as the gamemaster explained it, and they removed that effect which fixed it.

Did you have any lag or get kicked off while looting the box shortly before this started? You should contact support and let them know to check for any active effects on your character.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you have any lag or get kicked off while looting the box shortly before this started? You should contact support and let them know to check for any active effects on your character.

Thanks for your help.
    No I haven't had any particular event or disconnection that I remember of. It all started with the Jester Festival so I assume it's related to some code added then.
    And it happens on ALL my 5 characters so I doubt it's related to some accidental effect that would have landed on all of them at once.
    And I'm tired at the mere idea of contacting support. I know it will end up in a horrible loop of messages, then automated replies telling me to disable addons, me replying that I've tried it all, and so on. It will take weeks or months before reaching a real human, and that real human won't probably solve the issue at once, so it will go back to the loop for months again before reaching yet another human...
    For now I assume it's related to the Jester Festival and I'll wait until said Festival is over with the hope that things are back in order then...

If not, I'll see. But I'm not the only one in that situation. And as explained, the mere idea of contacting support makes me just sick. Maybe I'll just quit the game if those issues aren't solved. Because really, support is a nightmare.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on April 2, 2017 12:32PM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully, the dazzlers are pretty useless and not essential for anything. You can get the achievement for using 50 of them from the quest item ones in daggerfall. The only trouble achievement would be the undaunted enclave usage of them.

I doubt it is the festival itself though since you did have no trouble when it first started, if I read correctly above, and it just started at a certain point. They haven't taken the servers down at all during the event, as usual to prevent it disabling early or other fun stuff, so it didn't change either.
    Maybe something with your pc changed. If you did a disk defrag on your hard drive it could have rearranged something that would have affected it, or could be something else you did or that was done to your account/character data on the servers. Are all your characters champion rank, over level 50? Getting more champion points with the double xp buff affects every character and could have had a significant effect on their data and cased the issue maybe. /graspingatstraws
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully, the dazzlers are pretty useless and not essential for anything. You can get the achievement for using 50 of them from the quest item ones in daggerfall. The only trouble achievement would be the undaunted enclave usage of them.

Dazzlers from the Daggerfall event quest rewards boxes disappeared too. Randomly. I managed to get the achievement by doing them twice as much. Half of them (roughly) disappeared, half of them remained... same with those I bought from guild stores. Roughly half of them disappeared upon collecting them from the mail attachment.
    Maybe something with your pc changed. If you did a disk defrag on your hard drive it could have rearranged something that would have affected it, or could be something else you did or that was done to your account/character data on the servers. Are all your characters champion rank, over level 50? Getting more champion points with the double xp buff affects every character and could have had a significant effect on their data and cased the issue maybe. /graspingatstraws

Nope, I did nothing. I am fairly computer literate so I can tell you : no back up, no defrag, no update, NOTHING. Merely Avast and NVidia. ESO folders and executables are excluded from Avast analysis anyway. As to Nvidia, I know graphic drivers can mess up a lot of things, but loot in a game... ?
    And none of it would explain why it happens randomly and not consistently.
    All my 5 playing characters are champion rank, and I have 7 mules that are level 3 or 4.
    And remember I'm not the only player suffering from this...
    I doubt it is the festival itself though since you did have no trouble when it first started, if I read correctly above, and it just started at a certain point.

It DID start exactly with the Jester Festival.
    I've been doing Covetous Countess nearly on a daily basis for a year and never ever had any issue. In fact I've never had anything disappearing from inventory or bank prior to the Jester Festival. Ever.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on April 2, 2017 12:53PM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing Covetous Countess nearly on a daily basis for a year and never ever had any issue. In fact I've never had anything disappearing from inventory or bank prior to the Jester Festival. Ever.
    I meant did you start the festival without a problem withe the jester boxes for a day or two? Did it just randomly start some time into the festival event?

And just an aside, I have Avast as well and exclude nothing from its checks. It should be allowed to check everything for potential alterations by malicious software. It doesn't interfere with the game. The customer support "disable your anti-virus and add certain exceptions to its list" is an artifact of older anti-virus code back when games were less "mainstream" and didn't have well known established code that the antivirus software could be coded to let through. Antivirus software today rarely ever has trouble with games.
    I'm also curious if you have updated to Windows 10 yet, or run another operating system?

I had nothing change except a game patch last year that disabled my Xbox 360 controller with Windows "dongle" fr the game on PC. It would sometimes work and most times not and then when I updated the drivers for the controller it stopped entirely. It had a weird interaction with my also plugged in Logitech F310 controller that had been disabled entirely by the same patch.
    I had to update to Windows 10, thankfully free at the time from Windows 8.1, and buy an Xbox One gamepad to get it to work, and perfectly functional ever since.
    I never did figure out why that happened, but it definitely was fixed by updating to the newer operating system that the game was now being tailored for.

Sometimes you just have to try everything, maybe even a rollback of the game to before the jesters festival or full reinstall.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant did you start the festival without a problem withe the jester boxes for a day or two? Did it just randomly start some time into the festival event?.../...fixed by updating to the newer operating system that the game was now being tailored for.
    Sometimes you just have to try everything, maybe even a rollback of the game to before the jesters festival or full reinstall.

- It started exactly the day the Jester Festival started. I didn't have "a day or two" of normal behaviour.
    - I run Windows 7. The game is supposed to work on Windows 7. I will not update to Windows 10 (too many features I like in Win7 that have been abandoned in Win10). If it comes to this, I'll quit ESO rather than updating to Win10.
    - You cannot "rollback" ESO.
    - Exclusing ESO from the anivirus checks is a recommendation from ZOS... it might be useless, but it cannot hurt I think.

You seem to believe that my issue is client-side. I believe it's server-side. Too many people experiencing the same issues to be a simple coincidence. It's definitely server-side. Well, ZOS side anyway, even if it's client-side code.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on April 2, 2017 1:37PM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - It started exactly the day the Jester Festival started. I didn't have "a day or two" of normal behaviour.
    - I run Windows 7. The game is supposed to work on Windows 7. I will not update to Windows 10 (too many features I like in Win7 that have been abandoned in Win10). If it comes to this, I'll quit ESO rather than updating to Win10.
    - You cannot "rollback" ESO.
    - Exclusing ESO from the anivirus checks is a recommendation from ZOS... it might be useless, but it cannot hurt I think.

You seem to believe that my issue is client-side. I believe it's server-side. Too many people experiencing the same issues to be a simple coincidence. It's definitely server-side. Well, ZOS side anyway, even if it's client-side code.

1) I know even microsoft is trying to drop support for windows 7. My work just upgraded to windows 7 because they had to when microsoft killed support for anything older and my work computers do not work nearly as well as they once did or should. That is technically all that is required for the game, but Windows 7 doesn't support as much memory or newer graphical features and other code as newer operating systems do. It's bound to have issues as the game continues updating.

2) What features could it possibly not have that can't be done with the apps they now use on windows 10 or were not essential just workarounds for problems with the operating system in windows 7? Have you even looked to see if it now would do what you want?

3) Yes, you can roll back ESO if you keep a backup copy, like I have copied all the game files to a usb drive from a previous patch I knew was working before I updated the game to the latest patch. Specifically, I have a backup copy of the files before Homestead still. I haven't seen a patch large enough since to cause a long enough download, should I have to delete and reload the game, to merit making another backup yet. It's definitely a good idea especially when you have sub-10mbps internet like I do.

Of course ZOS Customer Support recommends excluding ESO from the antivirus checks because they are trained by people who have been in that technical support industry, yet not on the front lines fixing issues anymore, for many years. It's an archaic practice akin to making sure you aren't on the phone while trying to use the internet because old 56k modems and lines couldn't support it.
    And, it can hurt. If you don't have a virus check run on particular software or folders then a virus can hide in those areas, especially when the software not being checked is updated over the internet and constantly communicating data back and forth. Their servers and data are not immune to viruses and yet they tell you to exclude it from any and all checks as if it is immune. That's just a mistake.

But do what you want.
    I personally let Avast check everything and block whatever it does by default until Avast pops up an error saying it blocks something I really want unblocked, which has never happened yet. Rather funny that they tell you to exclude it from potentially being blocked when both Windows and any antivirus program tends to let you know with the equivalent of bright flashing warning lights when it doesn't like a program and stops it but happens to never do such a thing.

Smart troubleshooting is about logic. Company policy troubleshooting is about "idiot proof" systems to force employees to go through the company management decided "best practices" steps, whether they still work or not, and do not change as quickly as they need to. I happen to do technical support over the phone for the company I work for and they actually rate us on how we follow the prescribed symptoms tree and make sure we ask dumb questions like "is the device connected properly" when the device has had the capability to send info back to us that we can detect for at least 5 years. They're just recently enabling that function finally because they feel they can trust employees to not screw it up. It has been deemed "finally idiot proof".
    So yes, I say let Avast run its checks on everything. It will let you know if it blocks anything and will be obvious if it affects your game then. Funny how much trust you put into support for ZOS knowing what works and yet you refuse to contact them because you don't think they know what works.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it could be server-side. It just isn't happening for me, or most people apparently, so it has to be tied to your account and/or data or your computer itself. The most likely solution is tied to the lowest common denominator.

Your argument reminds me of what a lot of people who call me at my job say. "It's on your end because it can't be on my end. I didn't make my power go out when I flipped my breaker. Everyone in the neighborhood must have no power also. It's 11pm and I can see my neighbor's tv screen showing a movie but their lights are out so they have no power also." LOL

Or the classic: "We have a power outage but I have a generator so my service should be working. Why isn't it working?" "Sir, your whole city is out of power so we don't have the power to send signals to your home." LMAO
    Yes, I get that call every couple months out of thousands of representatives who could have taken the call, meaning that is relatively common for people to think that obviously wrong about anything even obvious.
  • Zorya_Utrennyaya
    Zorya_Utrennyaya
    Soul Shriven
    I started having this issue on April 1st with my dazzlers. For me it turned out to be an update from Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter. Once I disabled the add-on and reloaded the UI the issue was solved.

* I should note, I disabled the add-on through individual character settings while in game then did a /reloadui rather than disabling from the logon screen.
    Edited by Zorya_Utrennyaya on April 2, 2017 10:22PM