The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Lightning Staff?

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
I know dual wield is really a huge boost for Templars -- not just because melee increases your magicka damage more than ranged, but also because you get another set item slot. But I was thinking about how one of the destruction staff passives boosts the damage of AOE attacks if it's a lightning staff, and how the Templar's bread and butter spam attack is basically a limited AOE attack. I was wondering if that bonus could close the gap, damage wise... because if so, the heavy attack of a lightning staff is a lot easier to use to get magicka back, and once they take magician out of the champion points thing, getting magicka back is going to be something everyone pays more attention to.

What are your thoughts? Is there an advantage/synergy to lightning staff that makes it a viable alternative to dual wield?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always run two staves on my magplar healer so my normal attacks are actually somewhat effective enough to use a bit and save some magicka and the heavy attack to sometimes help recover magicka. Sustain is more important than raw damage to me so it is a no brainer.

The new bonus to lightning staves is a big plus because my healer's offense is almost all AoE (spears, reflective light, sweeps).

For a dps magplar, I imagine the lightning bonus does indeed make it a closer call vs dw but I don't know the numbers.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other thing that occurred to me is you'd get access the pulsar morph. 10% max health debuff for 30 seconds would be generally useful, though I find Puncturing Sweeps generally more useful because of the built in heal. But firing it off once and then switching off maybe?

I don't know. Mostly I just wondered if the aoe bonus made the math more interesting.
    Edited by EramTheLiar on March 27, 2017 1:12AM
  • theWul
    theWul
    A note on dual wield gives one more item slot: picking sets carefully should allow decent uptimes for 2 procs with 2 staffs as well. Though I'm not shure what to combine with bsw, as neihter julianos nor mothers sorrow have any procs...