Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templer healer - Ele Drain or Radiant Aura

Jailbirdy
Jailbirdy
✭✭✭✭✭

Was running a Vet trial over the weekend. We had two healers. Originally, one had Ele Drain and the 2nd healer was running Radiant Aura (with the Magika Steal)

Before the start the leaders suggested to remove Radiant Aura because both Healers needed to have Ele Drain slotted and that the Magika Steal from Radiant Aura was not worth it and actually interfered with Ele Drain.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the use of either ability or using them in combination (i.e. benefits, conflicts, etc)
Thanks in advance for your constructive input.

JB
Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.
  • bitels
    bitels
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ele drain apply same debuff as tanks pierce armor (major breach), magica steal from any skill is exactly the same and Radiant Aura works great for trash fights, so i have no idea why your raid leader wanted that skill over radiant aura.
    Maybe tank was using other morph- Ransack, that only apply Major Fracture, but TBH i have no idea why he would do that?
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be perfectly honest, running BOTH is completely acceptable. Radiant for the trash packs (and the raid buff) and ele for bosses and tougher trash. There is no stacking issues between the two, like previous poster said. It may be from Ransack overwriting or something.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bitels wrote: »
    Ele drain apply same debuff as tanks pierce armor (major breach), magica steal from any skill is exactly the same and Radiant Aura works great for trash fights, so i have no idea why your raid leader wanted that skill over radiant aura.
    Maybe tank was using other morph- Ransack, that only apply Major Fracture, but TBH i have no idea why he would do that?

^^^^
    is the answer. The magika return from both skills is identical as they are the exact same magika return buff for the group except radiant targets everything with one push of the button.

The only time a group might want ele drain is as @bitels describes, that is the tank is running Ransack and then the question would be why since the tank has access to a much better armor buff because it grants both spell and physical resist.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siphon Spirit
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each has their place in today's game, for many reasons.

Ele drain is better for solo play because it has no cost, and also increases your damage against the target. And if some odd reason your tank isn't running Pierce Armor, Ele drain provides Major Breach to increase your allies damage against the targets.

Radiant Aura in group play however, assuming the more standard and efficient things are being done, is by far superior in almost every way in direct comparison to Drain or even Siphon. Having multiple targets hit means no matter who you or your allies damage, you'll be making using of Minor Magickasteal always. It's easy to use without any real thought, and is extremely efficient.

However, the other morph option tied to Radiant Aura makes it much less efficient, since Repentance is one of the strongest skills in this game in terms of resource management for anyone. Blocking, Sprinting, Dodging, and Stamina build's own DPS rotation revolves heavily around having Stamina to do these action, and Repentance alleviates almost all issues immediately when used properly. This is the main reason where the comparison of Aura to Drain crumbles, because you can't have Repentance AND Aura.

At the end of the day this is what I suggest for morph options

In solo: Drain + Repent
    In 4 man play: Drain + Repent
    In 12 man play 1 healer with Drain + Repent, the other with just Aura
    In small man PvP: Repent
    In large scale PvP: 1+ healer with Repent, 1 healer with Aura
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ele drain is dead for pve. Radiant aura is so viable right now that it's irrational to compare it to repentance. You apply magicka steal to EVERYONE. There is not nearly enough stamina players in vet trials right now to justify wasting Radiant aura over repenentance.

The game evolved but most oldbie players didn't like to. I rarely see healers using Radiant aura in dungeons.

It's only a matter of time Radiant aura will get nerfed.

So take your destro staff and store it far away in your bank. Take Healing staff in off hand and slot quick siphon if you want to make best of your healer.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't energy siphon be better for bosses since it applies both magicka and life steal?
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Wouldn't energy siphon be better for bosses since it applies both magicka and life steal?

No, the 1.5 second cast time kills it.

I will never give up repentance. Free heal and free stam for everyone? Yes please. Even with all mag users, I use repentance and then toss orbs, then it is the DPS fault for not hitting them. I also use worm when there is even one mag dps, this alone can save more magic then minor Magicka steal gives.
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kneighbors wrote: »
    Ele drain is dead for pve. Radiant aura is so viable right now that it's irrational to compare it to repentance. You apply magicka steal to EVERYONE. There is not nearly enough stamina players in vet trials right now to justify wasting Radiant aura over repenentance.

The game evolved but most oldbie players didn't like to. I rarely see healers using Radiant aura in dungeons.

So take your destro staff and store it far away in your bank. Take Healing staff in off hand and slot quick siphon if you want to make best of your healer.

Ele drain is by far not dead in end-game trials.

Radient Aura is buggy on enemies when they are at different altitudes. In addition, the fact that radiant aura effects all enemies is a common misconception. It has a max of 6 enemies it can effect. So no, it doesn't hit all enemies.

Ele drain is targetable and also applies major breach which the tank won't have on every single enemy in a trash pull. In addition, ele drain doesn't aggro so you can apply it without aggroing enemies. Radiant aura has the problem of drawing agro of every enemy in a 28 meter radius.

Usually our groups have 1 running ele drain and one running radiant aura or both running ele drain.

Also, if you aren't running lightning wall on your destro bar you are doing something wrong, so why are you putting away your destro staff? No one uses siphon anymore.
    Edited by IronCrystal on March 27, 2017 5:45AM
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Radient Aura is buggy on enemies when they are at different altitudes. In addition, the fact that radiant aura effects all enemies is a common misconception. It has a max of 6 enemies it can effect. So no, it doesn't hit all enemies.

Ele drain is targetable and also applies major breach which the tank won't have on every single enemy in a trash pull. In addition, ele drain doesn't aggro so you can apply it without aggroing enemies. Radiant aura has the problem of drawing agro of every enemy in a 28 meter radius.

Usually our groups have 1 running ele drain and one running radiant aura or both running ele drain.

Also, if you aren't running lightning wall on your destro bar you are doing something wrong, so why are you putting away your destro staff? No one uses siphon anymore.

I'm playing also as a magsorc dd maxed out for dps and radiant aura has a significant boost to magicka recovery for trash mobs. For me it is Yes or No: if healer got radiant aura in trial i will devastate with my aoe. If no radiant aura present I will run low on magicka all the time.

I don't know what are you talking about lightning wall. Do you really use lightning wall as a trial healer? Can you explain please?

And yea, quick siphon is powerful skill. Its underrated right now same as Altar, but I believe the players will eventually evolve to keep up to game's pace.
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with just about everything you said.

I'm playing also as a magsorc dd maxed out for dps and radiant aura has a significant boost to magicka recovery for trash mobs. For me it is Yes or No: if healer got radiant aura in trial i will devastate with my aoe. If no radiant aura present I will run low on magicka all the time.

I don't know what are you talking about lightning wall. Do you really use lightning wall as a trial healer? Can you explain please?

And yea, quick siphon is powerful skill. Its underrated right now same as Altar, but I believe the players will eventually evolve to keep up to game's pace.

Again, ele drain and radiant aura provide same buff, and radiant aura only effects 6 enemies. Between ele drain, orbs, and worms you shouldn't ever be running out of magicka.

Also, all end-game trials healers run lightning wall of elements because its a dps loss for DPS to run lightning wall but you need it to set enemies off-balance. The change to the passive Exploiter in the Ritual tree gives you a whole 10% dps increase when fighting enemies that are off-balance. A combination of a lightning wall of elements and any lightning attack (pretty much any mag sorc), will knock enemies off balance giving everyone in the raid 10% dps boost.

Between Combat Prayer, Healing Springs, and one healer running Energy Orbs you shouldn't have need for siphon's healing.

Down with drama!

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, ele drain and radiant aura provide same buff, and radiant aura only effects 6 enemies. Between ele drain, orbs, and worms you shouldn't ever be running out of magicka.

Also, all end-game trials healers run lightning wall of elements because its a dps loss for DPS to run lightning wall but you need it to set enemies off-balance. The change to the passive Exploiter in the Ritual tree gives you a whole 10% dps increase when fighting enemies that are off-balance. A combination of a lightning wall of elements and any lightning attack (pretty much any mag sorc), will knock enemies off balance giving everyone in the raid 10% dps boost.

Between Combat Prayer, Healing Springs, and one healer running Energy Orbs you shouldn't have need for siphon's healing.

Probably your jewelry enhanced for mag recovery and not for spell damage.
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't admit to being an amazing dps as I can only pull 32k self-buffed, but no, I don't have jewelry on recovery. Between spell power potions, orbs, ele drain, and worms, myself as a magDK (one of the worst classes with magicka sustain) never run out of magicka.

As a healer in a top ranked NA guild, I know what the healers do and what the dps need. I also never said Radiant Aura is never used, I just said at max one healer runs it. It depends on what trial you are running.
    Edited by IronCrystal on March 27, 2017 6:31AM

Down with drama!

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • djdc1234
    djdc1234
    ✭✭✭
    The Leader was elitist ... His/Her way or no way. leave group before kicked and log on another character and try again.
  • ScooberSteve
    ScooberSteve
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem i have with radian aura is that its hard to keep trap if enemy is effected. Ele drain has a clear visual effect. Unless there is a visual effect of radiant aura i missed?
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem i have with radian aura is that its hard to keep trap if enemy is effected. Ele drain has a clear visual effect. Unless there is a visual effect of radiant aura i missed?

With addons sure there is.

I won't admit to being an amazing dps as I can only pull 32k self-buffed, but no, I don't have jewelry on recovery. Between spell power potions, orbs, ele drain, and worms, myself as a magDK (one of the worst classes with magicka sustain) never run out of magicka.

As a healer in a top ranked NA guild, I know what the healers do and what the dps need. I also never said Radiant Aura is never used, I just said at max one healer runs it. It depends on what trial you are running.

Yea, thats right there's no point of having two healers with radiant aura, but one is a must if you ask me, specially in a current state of game where magicka dominates.
  • ScooberSteve
    ScooberSteve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even with addons its hard to track. Leading a raid is hard. People need to learn that the raid leader might not always be right but you shutup and follow anyway its apart of teamwork and working in groups.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very informative thread on providing magicka resources support!

My magplar healer actually runs solo quite a bit and much of her 'group' work is random encounters with other player or small random informal groupings. EleDrain does the job for her when grouped. EleDrain rules for solo in my view for the following reasons:
    - debuff
    - does not alert foes so you can 'paint' a whole group while buffing yourself before the fight even starts
    - lasts a long time

I greatly respect Radiant Aura and Repentence but run neither. I don't run repent because my big challenge is bosses and it doesn't help vs boss. Also the range is too short for my style. I don't run Radiant Aura because it draws every freaking baddie from within 28m to me, even pulling agro from others it seems and does not have the debuff. I don't use quick siphon because it alerts its target (unlike EleDrain), the absurd cast time and I want EleDrain's debuff; as a healer I've already got loads of heals (HoT, AoE, targeted, burst. . . .).
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My magplar healer actually runs solo quite a bit and much of her 'group' work is random encounters with other player or small random informal groupings. EleDrain does the job for her when grouped. EleDrain rules for solo in my view for the following reasons:
    - debuff
    - does not alert foes so you can 'paint' a whole group while buffing yourself before the fight even starts
    - lasts a long time

I greatly respect Radiant Aura and Repentence but run neither. I don't run repent because my big challenge is bosses and it doesn't help vs boss. Also the range is too short for my style. I don't run Radiant Aura because it draws every freaking baddie from within 28m to me, even pulling agro from others it seems and does not have the debuff. I don't use quick siphon because it alerts its target (unlike EleDrain), the absurd cast time and I want EleDrain's debuff; as a healer I've already got loads of heals (HoT, AoE, targeted, burst. . . .).

If you don't run Repentance or Radiant Aura on templar healer or tank you must be punished and there is no place for you in this thread!

Joking, but to me it's one of the top 3 skills of Templar and I have also a strong healer build and also a tank build who just pulls huge masses of mobs with Aura.
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- debuff
    - lasts a long time

Many bosses have adds where Repent can be used, so saying it won't help there is quite incorrect. A lot of these abilities' powers comes from the fight at hand, and how well you know the encounter before hand.

At the end of the day you should always have skills like these unlocked (and if you play in a group such as Trials or PvP, coordinate with the other healer(s)) is what makes a good player. Being versatile and swapping in and out based on content shows a sign of flexibility and understanding that goes beyond merely throwing yourself against challenges, and in the long run makes the game more enjoyable for you and everyone around you.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause he didn't know what he was talking about.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either one is acceptable. Radiant Aura is more efficient because it hits all targets in range with a single cast, versus individually targeting and applying Ele Drain to multiple targets. On a single-target fight, it makes virtually no difference. On an AoE fight, Aura is much more efficient and is preferred by some groups.

For your raid leader to specify, at least to me, implies there is another reason for having Ele Drain. It could just be that he/she didn't realize. It could be, as someone suggested earlier, that the tank is running Ransack instead of Pierce Armor, in which case the Major Breach would be lost if you used Aura. But, as someone who main tanks vet trials, that's on your tank. He/she should be running Pierce Armor in that setting.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- debuff
    - lasts a long time

Radiant Aura pulls baddies from 28m huh? That's pretty good for an ability with an 18m radius.

I prefer ED for open world solo content and bosses while Radiant Aura IMO is best for mobs in delves and dungeons. RA works great for mobs because you don't have to sit and waste time painting a whole group with ED. You can pop RA and Channeled Focus and defend your 'house' with Sweeps.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Duckbutta
    Duckbutta
    ✭✭✭

Endgame healers need a lightning destro back bar to apply shock wall to keep enemies off-balanced, if you're not running a destro back bar you're doing it wrong. Also, Siphoning is bad, do not use.
    Daggerfall Covenant [NA/PC] - Requiem | Elder Scrolls Exchange | Nightfighters | Ethereal Traders Union | Centuria Invictus

Smush M’gush | Orsimer | Stam DK DPS [Trials Guide] [vMA Guide]
    Bill Clawsby | Khajiit | Stam NB PvP/DPS
    Yolo Swagginborn | Breton | Mag Templar DPS [vMA Guide]
    Tastes-Like-Chícken | Argonian | Mag DK Tank
    Cholo Laggins | Altmer | Mag NB DPS [vMA Guide]
    Critney Spearz | Redguard | Stam Templar DPS
    Michael Boltin | Imperial | Stam Sorc DPS
    Sherlock Ohms | Altmer | Mag Sorc DPS
    Pyro Ren | Dunmer | Mag DK DPS
    Mules-All-Gear | Argonian | Mag Templar Healer
    Lil Bossmer | Bosmer | Stam Warden DPS
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, the other morph option tied to Radiant Aura makes it much less efficient, since Repentance is one of the strongest skills in this game in terms of resource management for anyone. Blocking, Sprinting, Dodging, and Stamina build's own DPS rotation revolves heavily around having Stamina to do these action, and Repentance alleviates almost all issues immediately when used properly. This is the main reason where the comparison of Aura to Drain crumbles, because you can't have Repentance AND Aura.

You're assuming a healer who is being told not to slot radiant aura and instead slot elemental drain is using "stamina" for repentance?!

I play a templar hybrid, as it pretty much makes me a juggernaut. I don't ever use repentance, and I mostly solo. For one, if there are corpses to feed off then I'm not moving forward and instead sticking with the last group area I fought or don't need repentance as everything is still dropping.
    That is what bugs me about anything that procs off of corpses. It is useless in single big enemy fights and useless in tons of small-fry fights as one case won't let it work and the other makes it unnecessary. It's an utterly useless morph except in that middle-ground that is way too situational a situational situation(for emphasis) to make it worth it over anything else.
    In my opinion, anybody who uses repentance "is doing it wrong".
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

- debuff
    - lasts a long time

Radiant Aura pulls baddies from 28m huh? That's pretty good for an ability with an 18m radius.

I prefer ED for open world solo content and bosses while Radiant Aura IMO is best for mobs in delves and dungeons. RA works great for mobs because you don't have to sit and waste time painting a whole group with ED. You can pop RA and Channeled Focus and defend your 'house' with Sweeps.

Sefw4Qd.jpg

Pretty sure Radiant Aura has 28 meter radius. And yes, it draws aggro unfortunately.

Down with drama!

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thankfully, that's just your opinion.

I have 3 healers, two with radiant aura and one with repentance. You can cast the spells more than once. You don't need to wait until the end of the fight to use them, you can use them throughout a trash fight or when the adds for the boss die.

The important thing is to keep your synergies up so the tank can refresh Alkosh every 10 seconds.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're assuming a healer who is being told not to slot radiant aura and instead slot elemental drain is using "stamina" for repentance?!

I play a templar hybrid, as it pretty much makes me a juggernaut. I don't ever use repentance, and I mostly solo. For one, if there are corpses to feed off then I'm not moving forward and instead sticking with the last group area I fought or don't need repentance as everything is still dropping.
    That is what bugs me about anything that procs off of corpses. It is useless in single big enemy fights and useless in tons of small-fry fights as one case won't let it work and the other makes it unnecessary. It's an utterly useless morph except in that middle-ground that is way too situational a situational situation(for emphasis) to make it worth it over anything else.

Repentance is a huge skill for stam Templar tank build. You simply can't think outside your build and of proper Repentance use.
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play a templar hybrid...

Divines have mercy on you.
    Edited by Gilliamtherogue on March 28, 2017 2:46AM

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

- debuff
    - lasts a long time

Sefw4Qd.jpg

Pretty sure Radiant Aura has 28 meter radius. And yes, it draws aggro unfortunately.

Ah, I was looking at the level 1 tool tip on Wiki... 28 meters seems like an awfully large radius for ANY ability to have, don't know why the devs felt it should be that large.... I think 18M would be plenty.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****