The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Trait changes and RNG

FlyLionel
FlyLionel
✭✭✭✭
Sharpened is by far the best, obviously. Defending is fine, powered it fine. How about for decisive we get ult gen already plus when we use ults on that bar using that weapon it becomes even more effective? Precise; keep the crit rating and increase crit damage by 2-5% Not a numbers guy, but as long as some of these other traits can come closer(Lower ceiling raise the floor is the motto now) and there can be even more variety. Why not? Yes sharpened will still be the best but buffing precise and others will make dps builds question it. A templar/nb may go the precise route, Dk may go the ult route? Does anyone else have suggestions? Morrowind is coming and I know we all expect high things for a stand alone expansion. Also prosperous and training on any endgame gear is also a slap in the face and should be removed immediately; at the very least just removed from Vet anything.
The Flyers
  • CultOfMMO
    CultOfMMO
    ✭✭✭
    has nothing to do with build diversity really

it has everything to do with ZOS' philosophy on "player retention" through artificially prolonging the content

how? well by grinding for the perfect weapon in the perfect trait of course.

If more than 1 trait is viable, its a gigantic reduction in grinding time, and that goes against everything ZOS believes in. They're also extremely careful about being "good enough", that's why sharpened has to be MUCH better than the rest, otherwise people might get lazy and settle for precise say for example.
    vHoF HM 202k Tick-Tock Tormentor (Stamblade)
    vAS HM 111k Immortal Redeemer (Magplar)
    vCR HM 129k Gryphon Heart (Magblade/plar)
    vSS HM 245k NA 2nd Godslayer (Stamcro)
    Magblade vMA 601k
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharpened needs a nerf and/or a change. I'd say change its penetration from a flat value to % of enemies resistance. That way, it's not as effective vs lighter armors (making other traits more competitive in those situations), but still keeps effectiveness vs heavy armor/high resistances.

Should help create some better balance in PvP, at least. If they varied up the resistances in PvE content more, it would also help create new choices there.
    Edited by TheStealthDude on March 28, 2017 2:41PM
  • SlowMetabolism
    SlowMetabolism
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who has 15+ or so Maelstrom 2H's all of them powered, nirnhoned, defending, infused and not a single sharpened it is frustrating that there is only one usable trait for PvP and for PvE for the most part. I use a defending greatsword on backbar for my DK which is nice but I think they need to nerf sharpened and to make other traits more viable. Instead of buffing other traits they need to nerf the ones overperforming or being overused (sharpened defending) to bring them onto par with nirnhoned for dps and traits like powered for back bar. I remember a few patches ago when they nerfed nirnhoned for mag builds they said they wanted to make all the traits viable but havent adjusted anything since then.

I recently got a sharpened lightning staff from VMA a couple weeks ago but due to the recent changes is practically useless on a single target solo PvP magblade. This staff is my first sharpened weapon that hasnt been a 1h weapon out of well over 150+ runs.

Edit: I do have resto's with every trait possible including sharpened #OP
    Edited by SlowMetabolism on March 30, 2017 12:47PM
    Day one Xbox player
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SlowMetabolism damn, I just got an inferno staff and battleaxe 2h sharpened one after the other on Monday. Rng is mind numbing. Still going after 1h sharpened daggers. Soon!
    The Flyers
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CultOfMMO wrote: »

it has everything to do with ZOS' philosophy on "player retention" through artificially prolonging the content

If more than 1 trait is viable, its a gigantic reduction in grinding time, and that goes against everything ZOS believes in. They're also extremely careful about being "good enough", that's why sharpened has to be MUCH better than the rest, otherwise people might get lazy and settle for precise say for example.
    I disagree, I think ZOS want all triats to have some kind of viable use but are just caught in this "damage > all" era of the game without a plan to fix it.
    Sharpened has only in the last year become to the meta staff, this time last year people were all about Nirnhoned which can't even be a drop option.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharpens is OP, needs to be toned down or the others brought up to par.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    I beat vma many times with purple charged and decisive as my two weapons lol. Sharpened is great, but decisive was a blast lol, and charged just stunned the whole arena the whole time. It's all fun.

Different things for different situations!
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • CultOfMMO
    CultOfMMO
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

I disagree, I think ZOS want all triats to have some kind of viable use but are just caught in this "damage > all" era of the game without a plan to fix it.
    Sharpened has only in the last year become to the meta staff, this time last year people were all about Nirnhoned which can't even be a drop option.

I want to accuse you of being naive but I realize that was merely just your humble opinion.

I guess it's good that people still have faith in ZOS's integrity, but really their unwillingness to comment or even acknowledge a lot of the grinding issues tell me they know precisely what they're doing.

People think they're clueless but they really aren't. They just have their own agenda.
    vHoF HM 202k Tick-Tock Tormentor (Stamblade)
    vAS HM 111k Immortal Redeemer (Magplar)
    vCR HM 129k Gryphon Heart (Magblade/plar)
    vSS HM 245k NA 2nd Godslayer (Stamcro)
    Magblade vMA 601k
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

I want to accuse you of being naive but I realize that was merely just your humble opinion.

I guess it's good that people still have faith in ZOS's integrity, but really their unwillingness to comment or even acknowledge a lot of the grinding issues tell me they know precisely what they're doing.

People think they're clueless but they really aren't. They just have their own agenda.

He's right, last year was the sharpened year, before it it was nirnhorned, and before that precise...

and acording to some rummors, this is the charged year
    Edited by Xvorg on March 30, 2017 2:49PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharpened needs a nerf and/or a change. I'd say change its penetration from a flat value to % of enemies resistance. That way, it's not as effective vs lighter armors (making other traits more competitive in those situations), but still keeps effectiveness vs heavy armor/high resistances.

Should help create some better balance in PvP, at least. If they varied up the resistances in PvE content more, it would also help create new choices there.

The flat value translates to a percent value, same thing with defence.
    3'333 resistance is 5% resistance, same for penetration.
    It becomes calculated on a scale of what you are hitting, so these values fluctuate in relation to the opposing attributes of your target rather than globally outputting a flat value of penetration.

Their stats becomes the maximum value of your penetration, so 11K resistance requires 100% penetration to zero out, not 11K penetration (this doesn't even consider other mitigation values), this prevents negative or zeroing out values.
    Edited by SirMewser on March 30, 2017 7:01PM