The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

An increase in "invincible" builds?

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone should be on the same level and equal in pvp. but in eso they're not and it ruins pvp.

You can´t fix the problem in front of the Monitor sadly ;)
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Torbschka wrote: »
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I tried making a nigh-on invincible build. for my stamsorc. Still dies really quick. Guess I just need to l2p it (or roll DK)..

I don't really know whats wrong with it..Feels like it should be ok in theory... plenty into block cost reduction, yet runs out of stam really quick while blocking. Loads of health recov (5k when troll king/orgnums procs) - and crit-surge heals - and vigour.. I think its mostly a l2p issue since I'm used to ranged/dmg shields - but I dunno how these permablock builds work...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsmvB9lvIQ

I only use trollking, i think blocking isnt the way to go for stam sorc - as u said, DK would be better for that.

On topic:

I can just aggree, way to easy to survive multiple people if u want to, reason i always try to fighg back (like in the Video).

Dat siege shield though OP pls nerf. You know ur fighting a bunch of Zerg bad potatoes when one of those gets dropped in the middle of an open world fight XD
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Torbschka wrote: »
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I tried making a nigh-on invincible build. for my stamsorc. Still dies really quick. Guess I just need to l2p it (or roll DK)..

I don't really know whats wrong with it..Feels like it should be ok in theory... plenty into block cost reduction, yet runs out of stam really quick while blocking. Loads of health recov (5k when troll king/orgnums procs) - and crit-surge heals - and vigour.. I think its mostly a l2p issue since I'm used to ranged/dmg shields - but I dunno how these permablock builds work...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsmvB9lvIQ

I only use trollking, i think blocking isnt the way to go for stam sorc - as u said, DK would be better for that.

On topic:

I can just aggree, way to easy to survive multiple people if u want to, reason i always try to fighg back (like in the Video).

Dat siege shield though OP pls nerf. You know ur fighting a bunch of Zerg bad potatoes when one of those gets dropped in the middle of an open world fight XD

This was huge counterplay, i was just thinking about to drop a siege weapon and he immediately counteted it! Haha

Honestly, things shown in this clip only works vs "unecperienced" players (its also a food example that high CP dont mean anything, cause 50% of them are 500cp plus).

I wouldnt survive 1 min vs 2 good players with that build
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I don't think the devs at Bethesda and Zenimax understand the concept of PvP... survivability has to be limited in PvP. It's ridiculous that you have to have your stats so precise just to be relatively competitive in PvP. I personally believe that the problem is with the fact that builds are cross compatible with PvE. They shouldn't be. Players should have caps on survivability in PvP. Some guys I target actually take zero damage due to all the crit resistance they have... since my crit chance is nearly 70% all of my attacks do nothing to them. I think that is a tad absurd.

It's a big problem. The whole concept of 'tanking' is meant for PvE, not PvP. It should not cross over. Limits on amount of healing (for example having a cool down time in between being healed) and caps on resistances need to be in place for PvP. Essentially, the most balanced form of PvP would work kind of like Paper, Rock, Scissors where each play style would have it's strengths and weaknesses... for whatever reason the devs haven't figured that out yet. It seems so easy to understand... but perhaps harder to implement.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on March 24, 2017 1:44PM
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    everyone should be on the same level and equal in pvp. but in eso they're not and it ruins pvp.

No they shouldn't, there will always be better player's in any game but these day's since everyone feels entitled to be on par with the actual good player's game's are catering to casuals, ESO is one of the biggest examples ironically. Removing skill and counter play, plus adding proc sets & poisons to appease the casual player's.

Everyone has the same tools, doesn't mean everyone is going to use them the same. That's the difference between theory crafting and copying cookie cutter builds.

I don't think you understand what it means to be a "better player" ... "in any game these days" players are on relatively equal terms in regards to damage and protection (save a few limited bonus items that deplete, generally located on the map). A powerful build doesn't make you a better player. It gives you an advantage not typical to PvP games. Better players are skilful at executing play style, timing and precision on relatively equal grounds of play.

*Oh and to say "everyone has the same tools" is complete BS... everyone knows how difficult it is to obtain these "tools" in ESO... and much by chance and pain staking amounts of time searching, crafting and grinding... nothing associated with being a better player.

Edited by BoxFoxx on March 24, 2017 1:03PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoxFoxx wrote: »

No they shouldn't, there will always be better player's in any game but these day's since everyone feels entitled to be on par with the actual good player's game's are catering to casuals, ESO is one of the biggest examples ironically. Removing skill and counter play, plus adding proc sets & poisons to appease the casual player's.

Everyone has the same tools, doesn't mean everyone is going to use them the same. That's the difference between theory crafting and copying cookie cutter builds.

I don't think you understand what it means to be a "better player" ... "in any game these days" players are on relatively equal terms in regards to damage and protection (save a few limited bonus items that deplete, generally located on the map). A powerful build doesn't make you a better player. It gives you an advantage not typical to PvP games. Better players are skilful at executing play style, timing and precision on relatively equal grounds of play.

*Oh and to say "everyon has the same tools" is complete BS... everyone knows how difficult it is to obtain these "tools" in ESO... and much by chance and pain staking amounts of time searching, crafting and grinding... nothing associated with being a better player.

In mmos being a "better player" always revolvedpartly around having better knowledge of the game.

Any game that allows for character customisation in terms of gear and skills will create a scenario where having/creating a powerful build IS actually part of being a better player.

The resources to create a build in eso (apart from a few unneeded ones like maelstrom weapons for example) are the same for everyone.
    The timesink required in eso is not much different from what i´ve experienced in other games. Except for the hilarious task of getting undaunted shoulders.

The other part of being a better player is putting a good build to the test in practice.
    <Noricum>

• olivesforge
    olivesforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) They greatly enhance PvP, by offering a mobile source of ultimate regen while barely doing enough damage to discommode a skeever.
    Edited by olivesforge on March 24, 2017 1:13PM
    PCNA | Aldmeri Dominion
    OlivesForge / Swiss Army Templar | Twink of Insanity / Gankblade | Olivesisnotonfire / Annoying Sorc | E. Angus / Magicka Pigeon-Thrower | K. Angus / Stamina Pigeon-Thrower
    Personage of note in:
    Dominant Dominion | Ethereal Traders Union | Knights of the Istari | CoC | Cyrodiil FG
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people have sun just sitting there blocking all day? And just getting in the way when you just walk around them and fight someone else. They're starting to annoy me more than Nightblades.
  • FragileNinja
    FragileNinja
    Soul Shriven
    Some guys I target actually take zero damage due to all the crit resistance they have... since my crit chance is nearly 70% all of my attacks do nothing to them. I think that is a tad absurd.

That's not how critical resistance works. Critical resistance reduces the critical modifier applied to the attack, but it can never go below what a normal hit would have done. With max everything in critical resistance, you'll take what would have been a 150% critical modifier down to around 110%, which is still slightly more than a normal hit.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[/quote]

*Oh and to say "everyone has the same tools" is complete BS... everyone knows how difficult it is to obtain these "tools" in ESO... and much by chance and pain staking amounts of time searching, crafting and grinding... nothing associated with being a better player.

[/quote]

This isn't Overwatch this is an MMO that revolves around character builds, so yes whether you like it or not player's will have the same setups or they'll have completely different setups. The only advantage they have is knowing more about the game than others. Also the better player is still going to win even if some average player is running the same build regardless. I don't know if you noticed but generally most of the pvp community runs the same thing & you're silly if you're under the impression that giving someone a good build suddenly makes them perform well.

Better player's know more and they know how to perform with these setups better, who do you think set the meta, fotm & start these broken builds? Cause it's not bad players for sure.

And as for your last part that sounds like entitlement, again it's an mmo so working for all those things comes with the territory, it's not going to be handed to you. Albeit, right now no one should be complaining because they're practically handing things out now.

If you think it's difficult to obtain things you should see other mmo's.
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on March 24, 2017 1:48PM
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    Some guys I target actually take zero damage due to all the crit resistance they have... since my crit chance is nearly 70% all of my attacks do nothing to them. I think that is a tad absurd.

That's not how critical resistance works. Critical resistance reduces the critical modifier applied to the attack, but it can never go below what a normal hit would have done. With max everything in critical resistance, you'll take what would have been a 150% critical modifier down to around 110%, which is still slightly more than a normal hit.

What you're stating and my experience do not match up... literally my attacks have no effect on certain players. There has to be something wrong in the equation somewhere. Perhaps the rest of the normal damage is negated by their physical resistance, but that doesn't make sense because I usually mark them dropping those resistances. I have relatively high weapon damage as well. So the only other reason I can conclude is in regards to the crit factor.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on March 24, 2017 1:52PM
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

*Oh and to say "everyon has the same tools" is complete BS... everyone knows how difficult it is to obtain these "tools" in ESO... and much by chance and pain staking amounts of time searching, crafting and grinding... nothing associated with being a better player.

In mmos being a "better player" always revolvedpartly around having better knowledge of the game.

Any game that allows for character customisation in terms of gear and skills will create a scenario where having/creating a powerful build IS actually part of being a better player.

The resources to create a build in eso (apart from a few unneeded ones like maelstrom weapons for example) are the same for everyone.
    The timesink required in eso is not much different from what i´ve experienced in other games. Except for the hilarious task of getting undaunted shoulders.

The other part of being a better player is putting a good build to the test in practice.

Yes... but not in PvP... this is why people are getting so frustrated playing PvP... you can't apply those kind of rules of role playing to PvP. Those concepts are meant for PvE... for PvP to be fun, the playing field must be relatively level... if the PvP game wants to maintain population this is absolutely necessary. Otherwise you'll be stuck with just a few hardcore gamers and PvP will slowly die.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on March 24, 2017 2:11PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely noticed this recently on Xbox, mainly MagDK, or Stam boys. Used to be Magplars a lot last year.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being good in Azura is like being good at marbles. The campaign reset last night I have a guildie who is trying for EMP. It's like clubbing baby seals. Good AP but little challenge.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Yes... but not in PvP... this is why people are getting so frustrated playing PvP... you can't apply those kind of rules of role playing to PvP. Those concepts are meant for PvE... for PvP to be fun, the playing field must be relatively level... if the PvP game wants to maintain population this is absolutely necessary. Otherwise you'll be stuck with just a few hardcore gamers and PvP will slowly die.

I´ve specifically meant pvp. I only play pvp in mmos - so my statement was exclusively about pvp and how being a better player partly revolves about better knowledge of the game.

How do you want to fix people having more in depth knowledge about the game?
    Are you serious?

That has nothing to do with roleplaying. Every mmo works this way in pvp. Knowledge is the key.

You can´t fix stupid - people can only fix that themselves.
    Edited by Derra on March 24, 2017 2:24PM
    <Noricum>

• BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭

This isn't Overwatch this is an MMO that revolves around character builds, so yes whether you like it or not player's will have the same setups or they'll have completely different setups. The only advantage they have is knowing more about the game than others. Also the better player is still going to win even if some average player is running the same build regardless. I don't know if you noticed but generally most of the pvp community runs the same thing & you're silly if you're under the impression that giving someone a good build suddenly makes them perform well.

Better player's know more and they know how to perform with these setups better, who do you think set the meta, fotm & start these broken builds? Cause it's not bad players for sure.

And as for your last part that sounds like entitlement, again it's an mmo so working for all those things comes with the territory, it's not going to be handed to you. Albeit, right now no one should be complaining because they're practically handing things out now.

You guys keep talking about how MMOs are "supposed" to work!? Really? So now we are forfeiting genuine PvP fun and competition for some sort of status quo?

All I'm saying is, if you want PvP to be fun for everyone, you cannot apply the same rules and typical builds that are being used in PvE. While yes there should be some advantage for creating a superior build, complete domination is utterly absurd. Unless you want the game (PvP aspect) to slowly die off you need to make it fun for everyone and that means leveling the playing field to the point where any player has a decent chance at defeating another.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on March 24, 2017 2:27PM
  • Escorpiao_Noturno
    Escorpiao_Noturno
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I am seeing a lot more tanks on these days.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys keep talking about how MMOs are "supposed" to work!? Really? So now we are forfeiting genuine PvP fun and competition for some sort of status quo?

All I'm saying is, if you want PvP to be fun for everyone, you cannot apply the same rules and typical builds that are being used in PvE. While yes there should be some advantage for creating a superior build, complete domination is utterly absurd. Unless you want the game (PvP aspect) to slowly die off you need to make it fun for everyone and that means leveling the playing field to the point where any player has a decent chance at defeating another.

How long have you been playing? They've been doing exactly what you're talking about, hence catering to casuals in a way to make people feel like they have a fighting chance. Removing skill & counter play, as they do that the more they break the game for the sake of "leveling the playing field"

Essentially what you're suggesting is the reason these builds exist in the first place. If you make the game easier, make things easier to obtain & give people the option to combine various sets even more, you must also realize you're making it easier to exploit that system. It's like leaving a kid in a room full of candy & expecting him not to eat as much as he can.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not "everyone" is suppose to have fun in PvP, It's end game type stuff
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rise of tank builds is more of a symptom of the problem that comes from the combination of champion points, high amounts of resource regeneration + high amounts of damage, the way damage is increased from stealth attacks, and the way some item sets function. Which created only two extremes A: Player gets killed in two hits, but can kill most other players in two hits. Or B: Player tanks up and has more time to counter attack, but takes longer to kill most other players.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think alot of people found out troll king+heavy armor doubles the amount of healing from vigor. Think khajit NB gets like 2200 health regen from troll king, on top of vigor.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    The rise of tank builds is more of a symptom of the problem that comes from the combination of champion points, high amounts of resource regeneration + high amounts of damage, the way damage is increased from stealth attacks, and the way some item sets function. Which created only two extremes A: Player gets killed in two hits, but can kill most other players in two hits. Or B: Player tanks up and has more time to counter attack, but takes longer to kill most other players.

If this is all about TANKS being "OP" then this thread is comical to be honest but I'm sure it's directed towards jack of all trades builds.
  • Lord_MK
    Lord_MK
    ✭✭✭
    Bro I've noticed all the trolley builds too. Dead ass, we need soft caps sooo bad like you shouldn't be able to even get 50k health even 40k and max resistance is enough to tank god damit. Like the most frustrating thing is when I'm wrecking some kids and these solo players with 60k debuff builds just run up and just negate tf outta me. Even if I outsmart them and I'm clearly a better player they can just Xv1 me down and send me a message telling me to get my dps up. Literally these kids feel like gods when you can't kill them. It's like they love to get beat on it makes them feel good
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_MK wrote: »
    Bro I've noticed all the trolley builds too. Dead ass, we need soft caps sooo bad like you shouldn't be able to even get 50k health even 40k and max resistance is enough to tank god damit. Like the most frustrating thing is when I'm wrecking some kids and these solo players with 60k debuff builds just run up and just negate tf outta me. Even if I outsmart them and I'm clearly a better player they can just Xv1 me down and send me a message telling me to get my dps up. Literally these kids feel like gods when you can't kill them. It's like they love to get beat on it makes them feel good

Think you're thinking of hard caps, resistance is about the only thing already hard capped. But I don't think a player like yourself would actually like soft or hard caps, the things you do currently would be much harder because you'd be capped too in multiple ways. Introducing caps in the game's current state in my opinion would be the death of 1vxing entirely.

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    I think there definitely needs to be a way around it for sure. I had this happen in Azuras the other day, even without cp, and the sorc just ran around a tower for 10 min with 6 of us focusing them I was even using drain mag and stam poisons. It's absurd. Of course they die eventually, they can't actually do anything. I called bs on them after and they got back to me saying they were actually good for being able to 1v5. IMO being able 1v5 means you take them all down or at least take 1-2 of us with you. Anyone can make a build that can run around spamming heals and shields. In light of both spamming abilities and constantly running around trees, i think it would be interesting to have something implemented where spamming causes abilities to cost exponentially more after a while. Although idk how you tell the difference between someone pulling this kind of bs and someone actually fighting to stay alive/fight back.

Your issue is someone kiting & using their environment? Lol

My issue is these people thinking they're good for being able to do it. As I said it's just plain easy to make a build capable of runnig around a tower all day and night. Doesn't make you a good player.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My issue is these people thinking they're good for being able to do it. As I said it's just plain easy to make a build capable of runnig around a tower all day and night. Doesn't make you a good player.

How do you know what they are thinking? Maybe they are thinking 'oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, I'm gonna die!'
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there definitely needs to be a way around it for sure. I had this happen in Azuras the other day, even without cp, and the sorc just ran around a tower for 10 min with 6 of us focusing them I was even using drain mag and stam poisons. It's absurd. Of course they die eventually, they can't actually do anything. I called bs on them after and they got back to me saying they were actually good for being able to 1v5. IMO being able 1v5 means you take them all down or at least take 1-2 of us with you. Anyone can make a build that can run around spamming heals and shields. In light of both spamming abilities and constantly running around trees, i think it would be interesting to have something implemented where spamming causes abilities to cost exponentially more after a while. Although idk how you tell the difference between someone pulling this kind of bs and someone actually fighting to stay alive/fight back.

Ironically just about every good player kites, unless you're in an enclosed spot you're going to be trying to LOS as much as you need to, unfortunately sometimes that's all you can do when you're outnumbered.

I don't think multiple people trying to chase one guy is good either but other people feel that way and certainly do it. 6 people fighting a sorc, what do you expect him to do, just die, realistically I would think he'd constantly be on the defense.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fighting 1 person with 6 doesn´t make you a good player either.

I always enjoy it when i can give people with the "i outnumber you so i deserver to kill you" a hard time (well enjoying is hardy the word tbh - i just don´t think they deserve an easy kill).
    <Noricum>

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @boxfoxx I'm noticing extreme damage mitigation too, which isn't explained by armor. I thought it was critical damage reduction at first, but I don't think this explains it all.

For example, Last night six golds were taking on two DC of these builds near an outpost. I was on the roof. When they came within range I started hitting with a cold fire ballista, and between shots focused aim using the appropriate max dps buffs. The cold fire was doing its 5000ish damage per hit. My snipe/poison inject would get in some hits with low damage (3000) either to the player or their shield...okay, that looks like armor and buffs and crit reduction. Then all of a sudden the hits would start doing 150 damage. The combat text would not indicate that a shield was up...it displayed as just a flat, non-crit hit worth 150.

In that battle, I considered the following problems with invincible builds:

1. Keeps are so ridiculously easy to take already, with siege engines themselves being invincible and doors weak. So one or two invincible builds can get into a keep even if defended by 10+ players. These builds exacerbate that keep defense is impossible, and was already pretty low in reward.

2. If my stamblade or magplar want to have any hope of killing these guys, that means upping their dps. One, the game is already such that to compete their damage is maxed out via passives, CPs, gear, etc. Two, increasing their dps means sacrificing survivability. My NB does not need to be any squishier...it's ridiculous already.
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    CatchMeTrolling... what I'm suggesting is not the reason, the devs and designers making bad decisions on how to solve an existing problem is the reason.

I never said people shouldn't be able to maximize their stats or make more efficient play out of good builds!

Its very simple. Caps and limits in PvP. No new armor sets, no debuffs on already existing skills, no new anything. Just don't allow a player to exploit build designs in PvP ...to do that you simply apply proper caps and limits so that everything functions properly and fairly in PvP situations. A major improvement would be making heals more powerful (able to comeback to full health) but having a cool down time in between being healed (e.g. 15 second (length of time would need testing) negation on heals on self (save base health recovery) after receiving a heal.) That alone would change the dynamic in a huge way. All good PvP designs are like this, you take time to bounce back after engaging in combat, that is a key element in combat games. Don't worry all won't be lost for players accustomed to living forever. The ability to revive players should balance it all out. They probably have too many soul gems in their inventory anyway.

I know you say it's different for an MMO... it's not. If you want max dynamics and enjoyment for all players in a player versus player system, taking a lesson from games designed with a focus on PvP (not a crossover from your existing PvE design) is a good thing.

Note: Those caps and heal limits only need apply while in Cyrodiil. For PvE content there is obviously no need for stats to be capped.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on March 24, 2017 6:46PM