The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Bookshelves

RABIDxWOLVERINE
RABIDxWOLVERINE
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

I don't know about you guys but I loved collecting books in TES games and eventually, for instance in Skyrim, I get a house and populate every bookshelf with every book I find throughout Tamriel. So with Homestead I thought, "Hmmm... Ill do the same thing". So I know I have completed a few sets which unlocks those books from a Mystic merchant, I get my money and go buy all of the ones I have. Go to my home and expect a similar system where you can interact with the bookshelf and you just add to the bookcase and they look all nice and neat and it works without issue.... This isn't what happened lol. I go to do it and find you have to place them yourself. Well I start trying this and its F***ing hard. Books are bigger than shelves and you have to deal with the depth misperception which causes headaches. Either way its hard and extremely time consuming. Now I have a huge pile of books laying next to all my nice bookshelves and am about ready to just destroy them and say forget it.

But I have hope maybe ZOS could do something to fix this. I don't know what technical obstacles there would be so I don't know if its possible but that's not my job to determine that. I hope in a future patch they will make bookshelves intractable like they were in Skyrim. This would make them look better and also decrease the amount of wasted time it takes to place books on shelves.

It would be nice to still be able to have the freedom to place wherever you want, desk, end table, etc but when it comes to the bookshelves just please make it easy to where you just choose what books you want on the bookshelf and it auto populates them there so that I don't have to waste my precious time. Otherwise I'm going Fahrenheit 451 on these and making a big bonfire with books instead of wood.

What do you guys think should bookshelves be intractable like in Skyrim? Id love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree should be more like Skyrim as the editor is wonky. Placing wine bottles in a rack should be easy... instead you can spend a hour per bottle to get the right look.
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been enjoying housing at a slower pace; so clearly I missed this. You can actually get books and place them? Where do the books come from? Where are these Mystic Merchants that sell these sets et al.? Is there a video on Youtube or something showing this?
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    The mystic merchants are the people in the mages guild who sell soul gems :) though I'll agree. I bought the sister of the sands in room in Sentinel. I put some things in and haven't touched it since. Honestly until they make housing more functional, I won't be doing anything else with it
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I've been enjoying housing at a slower pace; so clearly I missed this. You can actually get books and place them? Where do the books come from? Where are these Mystic Merchants that sell these sets et al.? Is there a video on Youtube or something showing this?

They are in any magic guild, in the middle of Craglorn, everywhere:)

You can buy reprint of collection you have read completely.

But ... I so wanted to create library, but it is next to impossible to put all books neatly...
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I lined mine all up on a Breton bookshelf but you arent allowed to leave any spaces and the books take two rows of the bookshelf

How on Earth ZOS didnt plan for this, I have no idea. Just make the books smaller ffs its not that difficult. Literally make the physical size of them smaller so we can do housing in peace!
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did this last night. Its quite a pain placing the books in a decent manner.

The best way I found was to use a wide plank to get as close as possible, and pull/push and rotate the item in first person.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...yes, Yes, YES!

I want ESO bookshelves have an "inventory" where I can just place books (and other "bookshelfable" items, like scrolls, skulls, hourglass, potion bottles, whatever fits) and have them automatically arranged in the shelves! And then count as one "furniture" and not have each book take up one slot in your housing. And be placeable with all its content! With the books placed automatically -just so- that you can still select and read 'em individually!

And I want the same for armor stands and weapon racks!
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I also figured it out very quickly that empty bookshelves will not help me at all - the books do not fit in properly and not just in size but if I push it in properly so they will not stand there held by some magic to prevent them falling off the shelves, they will not be accessible out of the editor because the bookshelf virtual structure swallows them.
    So they have to lean out at least a tiny bit :)
    The other issue I would look at is that they consume one slot each from my furnishing! That's a huge reason to be careful with them, I already halted buying other zones' lorebooks because it's no way I'll use all my slots just to have quarter of the books displayed.

My suggestions would be for ZOS to improve the current state:
    1. Size: make the books fit into bookshelves either way: reduce the size of the books and/or increase the size of the bookcases. Possibly a bit of this and a bit of that would solve this problem :)
    2. Don't let each book to consume a furnishing slot. Actually I can imagine that they don't count at all, only the bookcases.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that placing books needs to be easier. I'll add to that complaint that each book counts as an item. I understand why, but I don't like it. It means that if I want a library of all of my collected books, it will be in an otherwise empty house, because it will be beyond my item limit.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    Surface drag on I think. That makes it so the book doesn't clip into the bookcase. The only prob with that is get even enough with the top shelf to be able to place them without them ricocheting up to the top part of the case when you move slightly.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The sturdy Redguard shelf works really well for books. I'm using it until they get the normal bookshelves sorted.
    Edited by Tabbycat on March 13, 2017 4:28PM
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully Zos fixes this. I've hoped it was an oversight vs a choice Zos made concerning how it should obviously work.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I lined up some floor planks along the wall. They make great bookshelf substitutes.
  • thrillho5000
    thrillho5000
    ✭✭
    I remember the bookshelves in Skyrim working a lot better, having an inventory UI similar to chests. I wonder how much trouble it would be for the devs to implement something similar in ESO?

It would be nice for the bookshelves to be functional though! It's not out of character for my main, but right now all his shelves lie empty while his growing book collection piles up all over the floor and the tables and the bed... soon the cats will have plenty of fun places to sit, but the dogs will be crowded...
    Main: Thavrin of Ill Omen
    Class: screwup Dual-Wield Stamblade DPS/Tank hybrid, aka "The Near-Death Experience"
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have no room for book bc I'm at 700/700 but I tried this at my large home and it was a pain I gave up after 5 books. ZoS pls fix
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no room for book bc I'm at 700/700 but I tried this at my large home and it was a pain I gave up after 5 books. ZoS pls fix

I agree I was so excited for Homestead because I wanted to build a library and then after about 20-30 mins of fooling with books only to realize they were still not placed right I gave up and haven't been back to my house. Some of that is limited game time and I'm still acquiring furniture but it really sucks I spent all that gold on the assumption that placing books, which are oversized, wasn't going to be rocket science... But I was wrong.

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try hire a decorator to sort out the books for you?
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »

These exist?!?! What type of price tag comes with a decorator?

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi

It's set through your permissions when you're in your house
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meri20098 wrote: »

It's set through your permissions when you're in your house

No I get that I wasn't aware of people doing this... Id be willing to pay for that type of service.

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!