The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you like to see Sailing sometime in the future?

KalinRan
KalinRan
✭✭
Seeing as completely new features keep coming out, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a sailing system could be implemented, sometime AFTER the whole map of tamriel has been finished.

My own suggestion for it would be large zones like we have already (i.e. grahtwood and malabal tor) but filled entirely with water plus possibly forts on islands.

The system could allow alliance pvp on the ocean.
Each player could own their own boat and would start with a default small one.
Ships could be customizable to some extent (flags/sails/figurehead) and could be improved for large sums of gold.

Goals for the entire alliances fleet vs fleet wars could mimic cyrodiil to some extent, with ships fighting for control over npc-defended forts situated on islands.
Alternatively they may be shorter than campaigns in cyrodiil, and only have quicker term goals.
When starting naval AvA, the players could take their own ship, or queue up to another ship already on the ocean.
The advantage here being that larger ships would have room for more people and would have better resistance or speed.
Ships could be equipped with siege weapons like ballistae or catapults (or alternatively players would have to come with their own)
The owner of the ship would get default access to the ship steering wheel, but anyone appointed could steer it. Everyone else would have to be on siege and shoot at enemy ships for naval combat.
This would allow players to build up alliance fleets together.
A ship's maximum player capacity could be 15, to avoid massive lag.
There could be a new skill line for ship sailing which could allow for things like temporary increased sailing speed or sudden turning around or temporary damage shields.
Only the person steering the ship would be able to use these skills provided they have them unlocked.
Ship boarding for close encounter pvp is also a possibility here.
Once a ship is sunk or all the people aboard dead, it would disappear from the ocean and all dead players could spawn to a fort their alliance controls and either defend it from inside or head out for the ocean again.

Aside from the PvP naval combat, certain water zones could be designed for pve, with sea monsters and islands that hold treasures and lots of quest ideas and of course, Fishing.

I'm only suggesting all this for the future after tamriel is finished and other high priority things have been accomplished, as it would definitely add towards variety and enjoyment for PvErs and PvPers alike.
Black Desert Online features a side sailing mechanic, and it is much like ESO in terms of gameplay, so I believe ZOS could also implement this and find a way to profit from it.

Of course, what I just stated is but a raw idea and has room for a lot of improvement.
But with my suggestions laid out and a general rough idea about what I'm talking about, would you enjoy such a system?
If you think you could improve on the idea, please post your suggestions below.
(If anyone working for ZOS could confirm whether such an idea is possible or not, I would appreciate it)

Thank you for your time and for your vote in advance! :smile:
Edited by KalinRan on March 5, 2017 5:09AM

Would you like to see Sailing sometime in the future? 12 votes

I think sailing is a good idea
75%
AuldjohnDomanderKinnahzSerjustin19Ivan04NorbiAvran_SyltKalinRanSynthwavius 9 votes
I don't want sailing in ESO.
8%
Azurulia 1 vote
I want sailing but not the way it is portrayed in this post.
16%
EcruteakCityK0rpeN 2 votes
I don't think it's possible.
0%