The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crescent Sweep. The wrong change, a Magplar NERF (more than 1 year later... i was right)

• LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I still use DB on my stamplar. I actually use empowering on my back bar for mitigation when I'm getting zerged. Keeps me going a bit longer.

Magica Templar has either destro ult that requires to run destro, ice comet which never kills a good player without fossilize, soul strike which most people outheal in a 1v1 or empowering sweep which doesn't hit very hard.

Basically, you have to run destro.

And lost one set bonus of dual wield. Btw destro ult is 240 and crescent is 72. GOOD JOB ZOS lol
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LordSlif wrote: »
    I still use DB on my stamplar. I actually use empowering on my back bar for mitigation when I'm getting zerged. Keeps me going a bit longer.

Magica Templar has either destro ult that requires to run destro, ice comet which never kills a good player without fossilize, soul strike which most people outheal in a 1v1 or empowering sweep which doesn't hit very hard.

And lost one set bonus of dual wield. Btw destro ult is 240 and crescent is 72. GOOD JOB ZOS lol

Yeh, that's the problem.

But it's head and shoulders above the other three I mentioned so you kind of have to.

Of all the things a stamplar lacked, ultimate wasn't one of them
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the magplar claiming dB is the best option for stamplar.. you cant really claim that if you don't main the class? Ive mained stamplar for about 5 or 6 months, and haven't used dB since crescent was changed to physical. The ONLY scenario I'd switch to dB would be in group play where the stun is more utility to the group. Magplars have access to meteor, destro ult (strongest ult in the game by a margin), and the utility of the resto ult at it's low cost is nothing to scoff at. Considering that every single templar class ult is magicka based except for crescent, it's definitely selfish to claim that it was a huge nerf to magplars when in reality it was a step in the right direction to making stamplars playable again.

Empowering sweep is still an excellent low cost utility ult for magplar that allows the damage reduction needed to go on an offensive push.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    I keep seeing the magplar claiming dB is the best option for stamplar.. you cant really claim that if you don't main the class? Ive mained stamplar for about 5 or 6 months, and haven't used dB since crescent was changed to physical. The ONLY scenario I'd switch to dB would be in group play where the stun is more utility to the group. Magplars have access to meteor, destro ult (strongest ult in the game by a margin), and the utility of the resto ult at it's low cost is nothing to scoff at. Considering that every single templar class ult is magicka based except for crescent, it's definitely selfish to claim that it was a huge nerf to magplars when in reality it was a step in the right direction to making stamplars playable again.

Empowering sweep is still an excellent low cost utility ult for magplar that allows the damage reduction needed to go on an offensive push.

1 - I have stamplar.
    2 - here we go again: good players block meteor, epowering super low damage, destro ult high cost and need a destro lol ...

• LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar has DB and others good skill with low cost and high damage, but a magplar doesnt. I mean that every time is a damage nerf for magplars. we lost the best solo ult and stamplars have other options
    Edited by LordSlif on March 29, 2017 2:10PM
  • utb99
    utb99
    ✭✭✭
    DB>CS bc of the stun. End of discussion. Crescent Sweep hits noticeably harder sure but keep in mind the range is shorter, the DoT after affect is centered on you, not your target(s), Dawnbreaker gets a bonus on vamps (a.k.a. Templars and DKs), Dawnbreaker buffs your physical damage (FG Passive), and finally, IT'S AN INSTANT AOE PHYSICAL STUN WITH A DOT THAT'S REALITEVLY CHEAP AND HITS HARD AF.
    'The gods can turn anything to good' -Martin Septim
  • utb99
    utb99
    ✭✭✭
    Literally the only reason I used CS on Magplar was bc I had a reliable stun with Shards, it was an instant magicka ultimate, it hit hard af, and it was AoE. Stamplar can't use shards so DB is better
    Edited by utb99 on March 29, 2017 3:06PM
    'The gods can turn anything to good' -Martin Septim
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    @utb99 you are completely right
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    utb99 wrote: »
    DB>CS bc of the stun. End of discussion. Crescent Sweep hits noticeably harder sure but keep in mind the range is shorter, the DoT after affect is centered on you, not your target(s), Dawnbreaker gets a bonus on vamps (a.k.a. Templars and DKs), Dawnbreaker buffs your physical damage (FG Passive), and finally, IT'S AN INSTANT AOE PHYSICAL STUN WITH A DOT THAT'S REALITEVLY CHEAP AND HITS HARD AF.

That stun is why I'm using DB as a magplar. Sure it doesn't scale off my mag CP placement, but a10k DB works roughly the same as empowering sweeps when you factor in the lower physical resistance of players. The icing is indeed the increased dmg on wearwolves/vamps, the AOE stun, cheaper cost than destro alt, and fire staff buffs the single target component by 8%.

The fighters guild Passives self buff the skill, so even if you aren't running a stam build, 10 points into mighty with rest in thamaturge isn't giving up much dmg on your mag abilities . Plus the ultimate still scales off your max stat, it just doesn't dip into elemental expert.

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally the only reason I used CS on Magplar was bc I had a reliable stun with Shards, it was an instant magicka ultimate, it hit hard af, and it was AoE. Stamplar can't use shards so DB is better

Unfortunately magplars now have neither of those options and most of us are stuck using DBoS.
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately magplars now have neither of those options and most of us are stuck using DBoS.

RIP
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The reality of the Templar; the class whose class defining skill is that he/she should just use non-class skill lines to get what he needs to be optimal lol

- need burst? Here's a skill that forces you to store dmg but only gives a percentage of it back. Oh btw, we will just make it purgable and sorry it took us forever to fix it.
    - need a reliable cc stun? Here's a fast mobile spear!! But you need to spend 4k magicka to use it. Also we don't think you should be able to use it all the time, so we will have players be able to block the stun. And only stamina deserves the extra stun+penetration while you need to be far away to get extra dmg. Oh and we forgot to tell you, you basically have no reliable ranged skills to compliment using it.
    - your Passives are useless. Except burning light, but it's ok because we locked that in a tree mostly dedicated for melee dmg. We do feel bad you have no Regen, so we have you a skill that gives you 10% Regen. But I think we gave up trying to help you, so it's locked in the resto tree and requires you you slot a skill other classes get for free.
    - we really do feel bad. So here's the best heal in the game. But it's so OP other classes are going to hate the way you look, we guarentee it. We might have to nerf it a few times, sorry.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

The reality of the Templar; the class whose class defining skill is that he/she should just use non-class skill lines to get what he needs to be optimal lol

- need burst? Here's a skill that forces you to store dmg but only gives a percentage of it back. Oh btw, we will just make it purgable and sorry it took us forever to fix it.
    - need a reliable cc stun? Here's a fast mobile spear!! But you need to spend 4k magicka to use it. Also we don't think you should be able to use it all the time, so we will have players be able to block the stun. And only stamina deserves the extra stun+penetration while you need to be far away to get extra dmg. Oh and we forgot to tell you, you basically have no reliable ranged skills to compliment using it.
    - your Passives are useless. Except burning light, but it's ok because we locked that in a tree mostly dedicated for melee dmg. We do feel bad you have no Regen, so we have you a skill that gives you 10% Regen. But I think we gave up trying to help you, so it's locked in the resto tree and requires you you slot a skill other classes get for free.
    - we really do feel bad. So here's the best heal in the game. But it's so OP other classes are going to hate the way you look, we guarentee it. We might have to nerf it a few times, sorry.

Magic Templars have the best utility in the entire game, also the best healers with BoL, a cheap cleanse that removes how many dots? The best Aoe ultimate in the game and healing ultimate. Also a major defile spammable in dark flare that hits hard and cant be dodged. Now you want back that ultimate, for the sake of what? Balance? Or because you just want to literally have everything in the game? You also have the nerve to complain about having the best heal in the game and complain about other people talking bad about it? Yes it did get nerfed, was it a balanced nerf with all this CP going around? Is it still by far the best heal in the game? Let's break it down here. Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcerers and Templars. Out of all of those classes which one would logically make sense to give the best heal to? Alright, good job. Which class would have the hardest time healing? Nightblades, right! Who hits the hardest generally? Stamina right? Out of all classes, which? Nightblades! Magic has the weaker burst, makes sense because they have the best survivability. Out of all the classes which would logically have the lowest burst? If anyone can answer some of those questions, anyone will understand that it is called game design/balance. And if you do not like it, just continue saying how useless a Templars passives are, because clearly they are useless. Except burning light though, right? Also, remember that eso has something called PVE where sustained dps excels at (purifying light/power of the light). Finally, if you want to have ONE class ult that is great burst; hop on DK or Stamina NB. There are tradeoffs to switch, but it's called a class for a reason. Everyone of them excel at a particular thing(s). Oh right, before you reasonably ask Zos for something, you should at the very least look within your opposite class variation (Stamina Templar) and try to even things out. Here is the kicker, magic rules generally class ability wise. It is why stamina is so linear using outside class skills/ultimates EVERY time if you haven't noticed.
    The Flyers
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawnbreaker has more damage, more range, bonus against undead, and also gives me 7% weapon damage.
    Crescent Sweep is useless.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    Dawnbreaker has more damage, more range, bonus against undead, and also gives me 7% weapon damage.

Yes, for stamplar crescent sweep is useless
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    FlyLionel wrote: »

Magic Templars have the best utility in the entire game, also the best healers with BoL, a cheap cleanse that removes how many dots? The best Aoe ultimate in the game and healing ultimate. Also a major defile spammable in dark flare that hits hard and cant be dodged. Now you want back that ultimate, for the sake of what? Balance? Or because you just want to literally have everything in the game? You also have the nerve to complain about having the best heal in the game and complain about other people talking bad about it? Yes it did get nerfed, was it a balanced nerf with all this CP going around? Is it still by far the best heal in the game? Let's break it down here. Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcerers and Templars. Out of all of those classes which one would logically make sense to give the best heal to? Alright, good job. Which class would have the hardest time healing? Nightblades, right! Who hits the hardest generally? Stamina right? Out of all classes, which? Nightblades! Magic has the weaker burst, makes sense because they have the best survivability. Out of all the classes which would logically have the lowest burst? If anyone can answer some of those questions, anyone will understand that it is called game design/balance. And if you do not like it, just continue saying how useless a Templars passives are, because clearly they are useless. Except burning light though, right? Also, remember that eso has something called PVE where sustained dps excels at (purifying light/power of the light). Finally, if you want to have ONE class ult that is great burst; hop on DK or Stamina NB. There are tradeoffs to switch, but it's called a class for a reason. Everyone of them excel at a particular thing(s). Oh right, before you reasonably ask Zos for something, you should at the very least look within your opposite class variation (Stamina Templar) and try to even things out. Here is the kicker, magic rules generally class ability wise. It is why stamina is so linear using outside class skills/ultimates EVERY time if you haven't noticed.

Dark flare is undodgeable???? Nova is the best AoE ult???? No way, You are kidding me kkkkkkkkkkkk realy no way. We are talking about solo templar im sure that you dont have a magplar cause dark flare IS NOT spammable and CAN be dodged. Nova in pvp? ... please it doesnt work. Are u saying that remove a good skill for magplar and let it useless for mageplar AND stamplar is a balance improvement? You are wrong it was a mistake a BIG mistake, as he said:

Now crescent sweep is an useless skill together with solar barrage, total dark, healing ritual... ohhhh so many bro so many lol.
    Yes i agree when everybody says magplars "have a good heal", but now i have BoL bot class without a single good ult and stun. Toppling has a minimum distance thats is very annoying and javelin throws the enemy away and we need stay close to do good combos. Templars are very good in group but solo is the worse class.
    And yes ZoS made a mistake and now we are just talking that to them
    Edited by LordSlif on March 29, 2017 10:54PM
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    FlyLionel wrote: »

Dark flare is undodgeable???? Nova is the best AoE ult???? No way, You are kidding me kkkkkkkkkkkk realy no way. We are talking about solo templar im sure that you dont have a magplar cause dark flare IS NOT spammable and CAN be dodged. Nova in pvp? ... please it doesnt work. Are u saying that remove a good skill for magplar and let it useless for mageplar AND stamplar is a balance improvement? You are wrong it was a mistake a BIG mistake, as he said:

Now crescent sweep is an useless skill together with solar barrage, total dark, healing ritual... ohhhh so many bro so many lol.
    Yes i agree when everybody says magplars "have a good heal", but now i have BoL bot class without a single good ult and stun. Toppling has a minimum distance thats is very annoying and javelin throws the enemy away and we need stay close to do good combos. Templars are very good in group but solo is the worse class.
    And yes ZoS made a mistake and now we are just talking that to them

And i forgot the useless passives lol
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up the aoe damage on our ritual retribution and then I wouldn't care. Dark flare is trash now, jabs is okay, and since our mag recovery got nerfed AND lost an ultimate as you say, we magplars are hurting in 1v1s.

I absolutely refuse to join the meta build crew. I chose Magicka for a reason, so I'm not buying into the whole "stam is the only way to go" method.

Edited by Eshelmen on March 30, 2017 8:41PM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eshelmen wrote: »
    Up the aoe damage on our ritual retribution and then I wouldn't care. Dark flare is trash now, jabs is okay, and since our mag recovery got nerfed AND lost an ultimate as you say, we magplars are hurting in 1v1s.

I absolutely refuse to join the meta build crew. I chose Magicka for a reason, so I'm not buying into the whole "stam is the only way to go" method.

The ritual of retributions dot is hitkill lol, but as the others says: there is no problem with magplars, is everynthing okay. Probably they do not even have 2.5k hours with magtemplars, but, yes, its everything okay
    Edited by LordSlif on March 30, 2017 8:59PM
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eshelmen wrote: »

The ritual of retributions dot is hitkill lol, but as the others says: there is no problem with stamplars, is everynthing okay. Probably they do not even have 2.5k hours with magplars, but, yes, its everything okay
    FTFY
    Agree to disagree. Why oh why is the main class that I've used for over two years far harder to duel with now over any other class combo that I tamper with?
    And I will say, I didn't get overlord on my magplar by mistake.

Edited by Eshelmen on March 30, 2017 10:15PM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    I always used crescent sweep as a magplar since it was basically the only cheap burst ult we had access too. And I hit people hard as hell with it too. https://youtu.be/RlMtGvjhOM8?t=5m53s almost a 10k sweep here in this part of my video. Which was a rare hit for me. Now I'm stuck using empowering sweep, which doesn't even do half as much on a crit on most players. Stamplars on the otherhand can prob hit people for 10-15k easy with sweep crits. Then theres the 2hander ult which goes godly amounts of damage to people, 25k+ on crits.

I understand Stamplars weren't the greatest, I know, I've been a Stamplar several times, but Magplars weren't in the greatest position either. Templars as a whole are still terrible imo. But at least Stamplars had ults like dawnbreaker and the 2 handed ult. Which are still better then crescent sweep by far imo.

I play a stamplar mostly now. Power of the light is what matters and the dawnbreaker stun helps make it stupid. So bad change to crescent as it will never be used in pvp.
    just for my understanding - i thought ultimate abilities scale of the highest stat, magicka or stamina - so why is it relevant if crescent sweep is physical? shouldnt it do the same damage as a magical based ultimate for a magicka templar?

CP damage passives apply to ultis.
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    I always used crescent sweep as a magplar since it was basically the only cheap burst ult we had access too. And I hit people hard as hell with it too. https://youtu.be/RlMtGvjhOM8?t=5m53s almost a 10k sweep here in this part of my video. Which was a rare hit for me. Now I'm stuck using empowering sweep, which doesn't even do half as much on a crit on most players. Stamplars on the otherhand can prob hit people for 10-15k easy with sweep crits. Then theres the 2hander ult which goes godly amounts of damage to people, 25k+ on crits.

I understand Stamplars weren't the greatest, I know, I've been a Stamplar several times, but Magplars weren't in the greatest position either. Templars as a whole are still terrible imo. But at least Stamplars had ults like dawnbreaker and the 2 handed ult. Which are still better then crescent sweep by far imo.

I play a stamplar mostly now. Power of the light is what matters and the dawnbreaker stun helps make it stupid. So bad change to crescent as it will never be used in pvp.
    just for my understanding - i thought ultimate abilities scale of the highest stat, magicka or stamina - so why is it relevant if crescent sweep is physical? shouldnt it do the same damage as a magical based ultimate for a magicka templar?

CP damage passives apply to ultis.

Ty u are right it was a bad idea, was a mistake. Im Waiting for changes in morrowind
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm here to know your opinon about the change of the crescent sweep ultimate.With this change (magical to physical damage) the magplar do not have any low cost and brust damage ultimate ability while the samplar has 3 now: crescent sweep, dawnbreaker and berserker strike, all these ults have relatively low cost and a high damage. But now the magplar has nothing for duels or small fights: Metor (high cost and real easy to block); empowering sweep (low damage); destro ult (extremely high cost and magplar usually use dual wield). So for all thi facts, in my opinion, this change was a mistake! Dawnbreaker and Berserker strike are enough!

more than 1 year later... and they did omg they did
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here to know your opinon about the change of the crescent sweep ultimate.With this change (magical to physical damage) the magplar do not have any low cost and brust damage ultimate ability while the samplar has 3 now: crescent sweep, dawnbreaker and berserker strike, all these ults have relatively low cost and a high damage. But now the magplar has nothing for duels or small fights: Metor (high cost and real easy to block); empowering sweep (low damage); destro ult (extremely high cost and magplar usually use dual wield). So for all thi facts, in my opinion, this change was a mistake! Dawnbreaker and Berserker strike are enough!

It's just another example of zos randomly changings something and getting it wrong, yet refusing it change it back for pride reasons or such.

Until they do, they make it sound like it was their idea as well.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭

It's just another example of zos randomly changings something and getting it wrong, yet refusing it change it back for pride reasons or such.

Until they do, they make it sound like it was their idea as well.

Completely random, i'll never understand why they did that change... more than 1 year without any good ults. Good job zos

"the templars remember" ZOS
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahaha gz!
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »
    Meh, they still have access to Soul Assault (OP AF If you have Soulshine on), Empowering Sweep (The Morph I would always choose anyways), Devouring Swarm (because why wouldn't you be a vamp on a magplar?). All three of those ults are pretty cheap and more than viable.

You're missing the point ...

Next patch empowering sweeps will be stamina base no magic based and Cresent sweep move to magica from stamina ...

This is wrong as a magica player we are usually in light armour ... So the damage ultimate that gives us some damage mitigation was always a great choice for PvP and pve mobs ... Magic users especially templars are being slowly pushed more towards psijic skills every patch
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Meh, they still have access to Soul Assault (OP AF If you have Soulshine on), Empowering Sweep (The Morph I would always choose anyways), Devouring Swarm (because why wouldn't you be a vamp on a magplar?). All three of those ults are pretty cheap and more than viable.

Next patch empowering sweeps will be stamina base no magic based and Cresent sweep move to magica from stamina ...

This is wrong as a magica player we are usually in light armour ... So the damage ultimate that gives us some damage mitigation was always a great choice for PvP and pve mobs ... Magic users especially templars are being slowly pushed more towards psijic skills every patch

What are you on about.

Most good magplars play in heavy because its just better for pvp.

You have a defensive ult in the form of remembrance.

What you don't have is an ult which is magicka based and instant cast, now you do.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

remembrance = major protection
    crescent sweep = missed u a lot
    we wanna do dps, we dnt wanna be a low dmg "tank".
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now only it could have stunned.............
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]