Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Nightblade-switch to magicka or not?

SBC
SBC
✭✭✭✭
So I'm currently a stamina blade and have had issues in a few places. I've been doing a bit of reading on a few sites and magblades seem to be a better choice. Should I switch to using magicka? I mainly PvE by the way, not very interested in PvP for this character. Oh I'm level 47.
Edited by SBC on February 22, 2017 8:06AM
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have the gear and abilities leveled, you're better off rerolling to a different Magicka class like Templar or Sorcerer (DK is pretty fun, but can be a bit harder). Time wise it'll be about the same from respeccing and leveling stuff like Destruction Staff, etc.

Magicka Nightblade (akin to Stamina Nightblade) are the lowest of the low on the spectrum for DPS in PvE at the moment for their respective tiers (comparing Magicka to Magicka and Stamina to Stamina), although Magicka Nightblade fares well in vMA and more solo oriented game play due to self healing access and resource management.

Caster Sorc is very fun, very safe, and have a few build options; while most other classes are pretty rigid in running effective builds, so they take my suggestion for the newer player.
    Edited by Gilliamtherogue on February 22, 2017 8:11AM
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really didn't want to roll a new character though. Having to redo everything I've done would just make me sad :(
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess you don't lose that much if you try. Personally I went with stam nb for long until I got bit tired of it and with few issues that stam nb had and rerolled to magica and to be honest it has been much more enjoyable. If in any case I would like to go back to stam with that char it would not be big thing to go back.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind investing the time to level the other skill lines
  • AKSb16_ESO2
    AKSb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Do it.
    I tried magicka NB as a twink just for fun and I found myself soloing world bosses and group dungeons.
    I never could do that with my stamina NB main.
    Meanwhile I switched my main to magicka.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming this is your first character, in which case the notes I'd make about respec are:

1. Note that levels 45-49 are currently where any class will suck the most. Something about One Tamriel's system makes the character "strength curve" wonky. From 35-49 you just get squishier and less powerful, then at vet it's like BAM you're fixed and the champion points quickly double your strength. Therefore, you might wait it out if your frustration is squishiness and lack of power.

2. A lot of young stamblades suffer because they don't have vigor as a heal or proper wards/evasion. If vigor would fix your problems, that's 6-8 hours of pvp to earn the 85k AP needed to unlock it. Vigor changed my play entirely, and was where my stamblade's performance leaped past my magblade.

3. However, like others have said, respec is cheap. Give it a whirl. It'll be like 10k gold...if you hate it, switch back.
    4. Whether this will help,you is unknown. Stamblades and magblades have different weaknesses. It really depends on where you feel your character is falling short whether a switch would help.

5. On rolling secondary toons...don't worry, none will ever take as long to level or have to quest as much as your first. Whether you go stam or magic, I recommend you play forward to vet then start earning champion points. If you play an hour a day, in a month you'll have 160+ points. At this point, you can roll new characters and grind them to vet in 10-15 hours of play...if you know what you're doing with leveling, you'll hit vet with the class skills near 50, the weapons lines you need at 50 and armor lines at 50. I find having both a stamblade and magblade useful and fun...there are different PVE grinds they're good at, and changing up the play style helps the game stay fresh.

• SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok see my buddy said he got weak as hell from 40 to 50 and it just sounded odd to me