The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning & continuing mag DKs -- are you happy?

• Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chains bug out alot if you use it to dismount your mount. And closing fights got alot easier because leap is cheap. Think of swapping out health recovery buff per draconic abilities with 1%/2% magika reduction for each heavy armor piece used would put the sustain where it needs to be. The counterplay is poisons, which completely negates a MDK right now. 6.5 k cost igneous then CDB for 5.5k. Not to optimisd imo
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »
    Chains bug out alot if you use it to dismount your mount. And closing fights got alot easier because leap is cheap. Think of swapping out health recovery buff per draconic abilities with 1%/2% magika reduction for each heavy armor piece used would put the sustain where it needs to be. The counterplay is poisons, which completely negates a MDK right now. 6.5 k cost igneous then CDB for 5.5k. Not to optimisd imo

Seducer fixes the high cost of skills. Paired with BSW it's pretty darn effective
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »

Seducer fixes the high cost of skills. Paired with BSW it's pretty darn effective

Ill give it a try again with the no cp event happening but im thinking there isnt enough umph to kill decent players.
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple people mention a nerf to wings in this thread. Is this just a reference to crushing shock no longer being reflectable or is there another nerf I don't know about? As a ranged Magblade wings still seem to be as effective as ever and it is one of the biggest issues I face in Cyrodiil now considering the uptick in Mag DKs running around.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guildies and I wiped another elite guild last night multiple times. On the the third wipe a magic DK that ran off to get a camp I was told to chase him and kill him which I did on my sorc. After I killed him he whispered, man if I knew it was just you chasing me I would have turned around and killed you. Lol delusions of.... a magic DK. As a side note I killed him 11 more times after that to which I say.... err good fight.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now that the initial euphoria is wearing off... I still have to admit my templars do more damage, are more versatile, have less sustain problems, have more counters to other classes, can have the same survivability and can be even tankier than DK if you choose to spec that way. :(
    bubbygink wrote: »
    I've seen a couple people mention a nerf to wings in this thread. Is this just a reference to crushing shock no longer being reflectable or is there another nerf I don't know about? As a ranged Magblade wings still seem to be as effective as ever and it is one of the biggest issues I face in Cyrodiil now considering the uptick in Mag DKs running around.

The only direct nerf this patch, yes. Wings has been very buggy for a long time. No bugs that benefited magblades that I can think of, tho.

Indirectly, wings were also nerfed when destro staves got a damage buff while the main attack is now unreflectable. An 8% fire damage increase really hurts when being vamp is basically non-optional for your class.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ill give it a try again with the no cp event happening but im thinking there isnt enough umph to kill decent players.

If you are having a problem killing people, then run 5 rattlecage, 5 BSW, 2 skoria/grothdar. Use S&B on front damage bar and frost staff defending on back bar. Slot elemental drain and destro ultimate on your frost staff bar, and use ferocious leap on your front bar ultimate. Ferocious leap hardly costs anything you should be able to keep that up every 15 to 20 seconds or so which will allow you to sustain. The elemental drain seriously helps with sustain as well.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    My guildies and I wiped another elite guild last night multiple times. On the the third wipe a magic DK that ran off to get a camp I was told to chase him and kill him which I did on my sorc. After I killed him he whispered, man if I knew it was just you chasing me I would have turned around and killed you. Lol delusions of.... a magic DK. As a side note I killed him 11 more times after that to which I say.... err good fight.

I think you meant to post this in the bragging sorcs thread under the title "no one cares".
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    The only direct nerf this patch, yes. Wings has been very buggy for a long time. No bugs that benefited magblades that I can think of, tho.

Indirectly, wings were also nerfed when destro staves got a damage buff while the main attack is now unreflectable. An 8% fire damage increase really hurts when being vamp is basically non-optional for your class.

I see. I agree that the changes to crushing shock and the destro staff certainly weakened wings. But unfortunately, as a ranged Magblade, Magicka DKs are still somewhat of a hard counter (if you have any tips for a Magblade fighting a Mag DK let me know! haha). I don't really have any non-reflectable tools in my arsenal since I run swallow soul as my spamable. Not complaining, there are always going to be good and bad match-ups for every class. Just wanted to understand why people felt wings was nerfed so badly since, from a Magblade point of view, it is still very strong. But I can see how they have been weakened, particularly against Magicka Sorcs (which also got buffs).
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bubbygink wrote: »
    I see. I agree that the changes to crushing shock and the destro staff certainly weakened wings. But unfortunately, as a ranged Magblade, Magicka DKs are still somewhat of a hard counter (if you have any tips for a Magblade fighting a Mag DK let me know! haha). I don't really have any non-reflectable tools in my arsenal since I run swallow soul as my spamable. Not complaining, there are always going to be good and bad match-ups for every class. Just wanted to understand why people felt wings was nerfed so badly since, from a Magblade point of view, it is still very strong. But I can see how they have been weakened, particularly against Magicka Sorcs (which also got buffs).

I so rarely encounter magblades that aren't some sort of bomb build I don't have much idea how the matchup usually goes. You may want to post a new thread where you can get some advice from magblades?
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

I so rarely encounter magblades that aren't some sort of bomb build I don't have much idea how the matchup usually goes. You may want to post a new thread where you can get some advice from magblades?

Alas, we are a rare breed haha. Sorry, the comment about advice was just more of a throwaway comment since I am always looking to get better but I actually do pretty well against Magicka DKs. Don't want to derail your thread into a discussion about Magblade v. Mag DK matchups or anything. As mentioned, I just wanted inquire about why all these Mag DKs were down on wings and point out that they're still very effective against Magblades in particular and, at least in my opinion, are still usable. Still counters some other heavy-hitters like crystal frag as well (though to be fair those can usually just be blocked). I don't run a Mag DK though but at least from the outside wings still seem effective to me but I guess that might just be because I am a Magblade as it seems like so many Mag DKs are dropping it.
    Edited by bubbygink on February 23, 2017 6:47PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Problem is our bars are very crowded with how many DOTS and situational skills we have to juggle. A skill has to be useful in a wide range of situations to make the cut open world.

I really miss wings for those occasions when people kill themselves on your wings or you get lucky with reflecting a poison injection from someone who doesn't know how to make it invisible. But sometimes decisions are tough. I chose chains over wings because I get a gap closer, expedition, it doesn't CC the target, plus it's a little damage in one skill. Wings gives me a handful of skills I maybe don't have to get hit with for a very high magicka cost. Getting overload spammed from range wishing you had wings on sucks, but you can't win them all.

I wouldn't think it's wrong to keep wings; that's just the choice I made.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    They´re tanky.
    I have not met one magica DK that felt threatening since i cured vamp.
    I'm just sick of getting rage tells like the one I got yesterday: "You wouldn't have a chance against me if I wasn't a vamp."

._____________________.

It´s a failed designdecision for vampires in my opinion.
    Vamps should take 2% 4% 6% more dmg in general during daytime (for stage 2 to 4).
    Being vulnerable to one class specifically while also having currently mandatory magica tools just is bad design imo.

I can´t say i´m happy with the state of DKs atm. I don´t want them in my grp because everything they do can be done better on other classes sadly.
    Edited by Derra on February 23, 2017 7:23PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are having a problem killing people, then run 5 rattlecage, 5 BSW, 2 skoria/grothdar. Use S&B on front damage bar and frost staff defending on back bar. Slot elemental drain and destro ultimate on your frost staff bar, and use ferocious leap on your front bar ultimate. Ferocious leap hardly costs anything you should be able to keep that up every 15 to 20 seconds or so which will allow you to sustain. The elemental drain seriously helps with sustain as well.

Im talkin about running a pure sustain set with a damage set, i know bsw and rattlecage is strong.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭

Im talkin about running a pure sustain set with a damage set, i know bsw and rattlecage is strong.

You could try that set up with witch mothers brew. I am going to try it in 5 light. In 5 light you can get 1700 unbuffed recovery with 2 recovery enchants. I personally want to test how sustain feels with 2 damage sets and recovery from food and jewel enchants vs 1 damage and 1 sustain set with spell damage enchants on jewels. I've tried 5 bsw and 5 seducer in light and 5 rattle and 5 seducer in heavy. I personally like the light set up more but was missing the extra slot from rattle cage. Still have to test it out

. I like light because it also allows me to run dampen magic with a 10k shield for defense instead of permablocking. Its really just a change of playstyle and you can still get resists pretty high wearing a heavy chest piece and defending on a back (defensive) bar. This allows you to drop a shield and replace it with dual wield or a staff on front bar. With deligence you can protect your health bar with dampen. 5 bsw and 5 rattle can hit 3700 fully buffed spell damage with dual wield, bsw, and a spell damage weapon enchant proc. In theory, that sounds really nice. Still have to see how it feels though