The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Leave home, return to where you were?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
When you preview a house you don't own and then leave through the door you get put back wherever you were in the world before you entered it.

Is there a way to do that with houses you do own?
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"

Best Answer

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't found an option like this in my time messing around with Housing. The only place I can think this would be is in the Housing Editor settings, and it's not there.

Looks like you're stuck, sorry.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
    Answer ✓
  • RazielDERF
    RazielDERF
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps maybe you should purchase a home or get the free apartment you receive from finishing the quest to find out. :)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed it was obvious I wouldn't ask without checking it out myself first. I know that if you leave through the door you, quite naturally, end up outside the property.

But what I'm wondering is where there is another way to leave - one that does not specify a destination and therefore puts you back where you were before you entered. Maybe a button buried in a menu which I haven't noticed or something like that.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    When you preview a house you don't own and then leave through the door you get put back wherever you were in the world before you entered it.

i personaly "do not want that"
    i like it that when i leave my house it lands me at the front door of that zone and not where i was when i ported to my house.
    for realism.
    and for immersion
    and for ease of location and expectancy.
    i like it the way it is. leave it as is please.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not asking for it to be changed. I'm asking if the option already exists.

Sometimes I like to leave my house and end up outside it. But other times I would like to be able to go straight back to where I came from. (For example if I was just visiting to use a crafting station or drop off a piece of furniture.)

I've been experimenting with this and I've found if I go to a house I own, then preview one I don't own and then leave I usually end up back where I started instead of back in my house, but that's a pretty round-about way of doing it.
    Edited by Danikat on February 9, 2017 6:35PM

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I like to leave my house and end up outside it. But other times I would like to be able to go straight back to where I came from.

i do not want that!
    i like it that when i leave my house it lands me at the front door of that zone and not where i was when i ported to my house.

i like it the way it is. ESO Dev's please leave it as is.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Danikat I do not believe that option exists.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • RazielDERF
    RazielDERF
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed it was obvious I wouldn't ask without checking it out myself first. I know that if you leave through the door you, quite naturally, end up outside the property.

But what I'm wondering is where there is another way to leave - one that does not specify a destination and therefore puts you back where you were before you entered. Maybe a button buried in a menu which I haven't noticed or something like that.

You can use the command "/stuck" I believe and it will cost you to travel to the nearest default spawning point.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you own a home in a zone you normally have access to, when you go out the door you are in thr same zone as the house you are in. If your in a house, say in a DLC zone you have not unlocked, then you get ported back to where you were.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The option you seek does not exist. The closest thing would be a wayshrine in your front yard which many people have asked for. What you're asking for would be nearly equivalent to the haven bag mod on Skyrim. Then in that case, there is little point to having any housing zones at all.

The issue with what you suggest would give you access to storage containers in your home at no time-cost pentality. You could be in a delve and port to home and manage inventory and port back to delve. This is allowed when previewing houses, because it's just a preview with no function.

Allow the player to leave the home and then port back to where they were, and you've just eliminated the need for wayshrines altogether. Also consider what happens when you port to guild hall to craft and then port back to the dungeon or delve you were in.

It would eliminate need for portable banker and merchant.

I would personally love a portable house like the old Haven Bag of Skyrim. I used that mod during my final days of playing it since going home for inventory and crafting management was a tedium I no longer desired.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I posted this in February 2017, before the storage chests existed, so that wasn't a consideration at the time and housing was brand new so I wasn't sure what was or wasn't possible.

• Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes... But you have to own a house in a DLC/Chapter that you do not own.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭

for realism.
    and for immersion

Just a question, but why is porting to your house fine, but porting out of your house an immersion killer?

EDIT

Didn't realise some necro'd this thread, sorry.
    Edited by dan958 on August 25, 2018 9:08AM
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to your house -> travel to a friends house -> relog.
    Edited by eso_nya on August 25, 2018 10:28AM
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also i believe if you "preveiw" a limited time house you don't own, from inside your house it should exit you to where ever you entered your house....Oh how many times i have gazed upon you linchal manor....
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • snegurd
    snegurd
    ✭✭
    @nightfall12 is correct, if you travel to your home and then preview a different home (or i think travel directly to a dungeon or trial) when you leave that second instance you will find yourself where you were before you traveled to your own home.
    PC | NA
    Guildmaster of Noob Nation

Snegurd Limp-Spear: Nord DK tank
    Milamber of Midkemia: Breton Sorc dps

Flawless Conqueror | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Assistant Alienist | Shadow Breaker | Blackrose Executioner
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭

for realism.
    and for immersion

You want realism in a fantasy game that people call thunders, get invisible, resurrect dead, heal wounded in .5 sec, summon shalks, have dragon fires dragon wings, teleport and streak?

That makes perfect sense i should say.

But my opinion is: I dont have enough free time everyday to travel with my imaginary horse i summoned in 1 sec to the next way shrine and realistically teleport to the targeted city.

Leaving home and going back to where i was would be the best for me, or a promt that would ask "get back to previous location" Or "exit house" to keep us both realistically interested and pleased .
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally having a difficult time choosing a side on this issue ...

On the one hand, players who can't be bothered with an extra load screen (or porting back to a friend or guildie in the zone they were in) are being outright lazy.

On the other hand, players have often made a significant resource investment in their house ... whether that be in-game gold, crowns, or via crafting.

If ZOS has hit the ceiling on furnishing slots, then other "perks" should be reviewed. Such as a simple exit toggle that lets players return to where they were in Tamriel.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on October 18, 2018 1:26AM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Put a wayshire we can use in our homes would be the best option I think.