Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

VS: [Maelstorm 10 - Stamblade 0]

malicia
malicia
✭✭✭✭
Background:
I'm a casual* player who mostly play solo, PVE. Character is a Stamblade, currently on CP 200. Normal playing style involves a lot of sneaking - I love the Dark Brotherhood dailies.

Problem:
I would like to win vet Maelstorm. Yet at this point even the Seducer Darkfires can kill me in three shots. I've played normal mode before, without much preparation (basically ate some of the bread lying around, quickslotted a few healing potions, made sure that I have Vigor slotted somewhere) and easily progressed to the 5th level (Rink of Frozen Blood), but the water killed me a couple of times and I moved on.

Gear (all purple):
Medium Night's Silence, 5
Medium Kvatch Gladiator, 4 (including dual wield daggers on both slots)
Jewelry all give either Health or Stam

Race: Wood Elf

Mundus: Warrior

Skill bars:
1st bar - Reaper's Mark, Shadowy Disguise, Ambush, Rapid Strikes, Killer's Blade. U=Dawnbreaker
2nd bar - Vigor, Siphoning Attacks, Deadly Cloak, Relentless Focus, Whirling Blades. U=Soul Strike

I'm pretty sure that to complete vMaelstorm I'll need to up my own skills a bit, but I'm also sure that getting killed by the Seducer Darkfires in three shots shows that my equipment is not anywhere close to being the right mix or good enough for Maelstorm. I'd appreciate advice and suggestions, both on Skill sets to use and equipment to use. I don't mind spending time on character/gear development, but as I don't get more than about an hour playtime a night, I'd prefer not to do group-based content. I hate joining a group and then having to leave in the middle of a dungeon - I feel it is unfair towards the rest of the group, so I try to avoid it.

*Casual - about an hour playtime per night. Playtime can be intermittent, so bad idea for me to do grouped content.
Edited by malicia on February 3, 2017 8:36AM
PC, EU
Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
@taciti
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert at stamblade, but I do know that kvatch gladiator is an absolutely TERRIBLE set (at least in PvP) so you'd probably be better off getting a different one. Another thing, more CP would benefit you quite a lot, and you really should get jewelry that is part of a set.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    well, fist of all, stam blade is the most difficult class to play on vMA for beginners. This arena does suit better for magica ranged. however, all best scores are on stam classes.

then, change your build. sets and mundus are wrong for vMA, the main key factor here is damage, a lot of damage. There are many guides in the internet.

there is nothing impossible, but I would recommend you re roll char, for example, for mag sorc and make life easier.

and yes, CP is pretty low. I would recommend to do it 300+. simply because of damage increase.

vMA is really difficult for the first time.
    Edited by soll on February 3, 2017 9:07AM
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, I haven't completed it on a stamblade yet, but I can maybe give you some tips anyway.

So, my favorite newbie setup for vMA is:
    - 5x TBS on body - All stamina enchants (The extra resources and health really help to survive in the arena)
    - 3x Agility jewelry - All weapon damage enchants (Agility jewelry is easy to get and has some great stats)
    - 2x Monster set - All stamina enchants (Engine guardian really helped me with sustain the first time I ran vMA)
    - Bow on backbar and either dual wield or 2H on front bar

Make sure that at least the weapons are golded out, get divines on every body piece and sharpened on all your weapons.

Make sure you have max level health/stam or health/stam/stam regen food (health/stam/magicka food is also a possibility. I used to run it on my stamdk)

If you go TBS, you better go shadow and thief mundus stones. I'm pretty sure warrior is bad for vMA. If you don't end up running TBS, go thief (if low crit), or shadow (if high crit) or serpent (if you REALLY need even more sustain)

I can't say anything about the skill bars and passives since I haven't played a stamblade in over a year.

P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice! I think it is time to put my Night's Silence in my backpack while I venture into places where stealth is not an option.

I'll have a look a TBS and Monster, by the time I have Engine's Guardian I'll probably have a few extra CP which would also help.

So, to summarize: don't panic, it will get easier with more CP, get better gear, change Mundus. :)
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just completed it for first time this week CP 540 or so, I was magicka templar but have some hints anyway

200 CP is way too low, especially for a fist time.

You need to have points in hardy and elemental defender to mitigate damage and if possible run a damage shield, I used harness magicka. Spec your character purely for the arena, so a skill and CP reset will need to be done, its about survivability and damage output.

Ditch both those sets. You wants sets that give a real high weapon damage/crit and stam. If you cant do dungeons, the above mention of TBS and agility is a tried and tested technique, but TBS is a 9 trait setup, hundings rage would be a good crafted set too. Id personally say ditch engine guardian, if you want a survival monster set id go iceheart as they shield is very nice and procs a lot. Ideally though you'd chose one that does damage to burst down the enemies.

make sure both weapons are sharpened (DW) and gold them, gold your mainhand if not got enough mats for both. Slot bow on back bar for aoe and DOT, less important to have this sharp, but if its crafted then thats not an issue. I didnt gold my backbar weapon, not necessary.

id suggest 18.5k health +

There is so much going on and mobs can kill you with 1 hit (hello aimed shot from archer), you need to prioritise kill order to stay alive but you will only learn this through play. Watch a video for each stage to see how people do it, i prefered non expert videos, cos they just steamroll it, so a video by someone who isnt doing a no death run would be better to get the feel from the average player.

You could look up guides for your class

Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is a Stamina NB and when I was learning vMA I did it with 2H/Bow. The reason for 2H is for Rally (last skill in the tree). If used correctly, you can combine it with Vigor to have really solid healing. Running 2H for your melee bar, I would swap out Rapid Strikes for Surprise Attack. I'd actually make that swap in most situations, myself. SA has superior burst damage, and the buffs/debuffs you get for using it make it far superior to Rapid Strikes in vMA.

For gear, I'd recommend 5 PC Night Mother's Gaze (craftable) or possibly Hundings Rage. You could also do Twice Born Star (Shadow/Thief Mundus), the extra health bonus is nice while you're learning.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Based on strikeback1247's comments I went with TBS last night (thankfully plenty of people around who would craft at a affordable rate). I can see quite a difference in my damage output, without even changing any of my skills.

I will eventually go with Surprise Attack, for all the reasons above. I chose to keep it magicka (can kick myself now) for some silly reason, though, so I'll probably have to reskill before I can make the switch.

Next steps for me is to level my Bow three, then 2H, while hunting for Skyshards. I think that by the time I have those done and I could get hold of a monster set, I'll be at around 350 CP.

Seems like I've got a lot of preparation to do before I'll attempt vMA again, but that is part of the fun.

Thanks for all the tips!
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another question:

While I kit myself out with 5 x TBS I'm going to have 2 armor slots open, until I find Monster head/shoulders. That means I can in the interim have a 2xarmor + 2 weps / 2xarmor +1 wep set, so either three or four items.

What would be a good set, given that I'm not going to get to 5 items on it. Hundings?
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • Kirameku
    Kirameku
    ✭✭✭
    Try other class, stamNB is really hard. Also you need 300+ cp for this I think.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normally I say anything is possible in vMA.

But CP +200 on a stam night blade would be super hard man.

Because you're a newbie.

NMG 5 peice, 2 piece veli or khrags - 3 agility - 2 leki sharpen daggers

TBS you'll prob get more damage, but I find it easier with NMG on my stam NB.

This is not one of my guides - just a chill video - 3rd NB Clear but may help.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• hmr13.76preeb18_ESO
    People are either stupid or too cocky. 200 CP! ))
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Lukums1. I'm glad that the general opinion is that a 200 CP Stamblade will be super hard - before I created this thread I was starting to wonder if I REALLY suck at PVE. Now I've got certain gear goals to work to, a bit of skill learning to do (and skyshard hunting to afford them). I'm taking it leisurely; I won't be surprised if I'm already past CP 350 by the time I have all the new gear.

@hmr13.76preeb18_ESO - how about "uninformed", "naive" or maybe eve "ignorant" rather than "stupid"? I certainly was ignorant - I saw plenty people below CP 150 go in and out, and thought that some of them would have done it on vMA.
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay on stamina nightblade you have 1 amazing things that no other class gets: Surprise Attack. A instant cast spammable.

What does this mean? You can use a 2H and have a burst heal with Rally on top of the Vigor heals. That's how I cleared vMA on my stamblade the first time.

Do think about getting higher CP first and gear yourself up a little more! :)
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    malicia wrote: »
    Thanks, Lukums1. I'm glad that the general opinion is that a 200 CP Stamblade will be super hard - before I created this thread I was starting to wonder if I REALLY suck at PVE. Now I've got certain gear goals to work to, a bit of skill learning to do (and skyshard hunting to afford them). I'm taking it leisurely; I won't be surprised if I'm already past CP 350 by the time I have all the new gear.

@hmr13.76preeb18_ESO - how about "uninformed", "naive" or maybe eve "ignorant" rather than "stupid"? I certainly was ignorant - I saw plenty people below CP 150 go in and out, and thought that some of them would have done it on vMA.

I haven't yet... and should... put a build up for low CP it would help you greatly.

It's a little defensive but vigor and blood craze is all you'll need for the survive :smile:

2h is over rated and you'll lose damage all over the shop and it will generally cause issues on certain rounds where you'd wish you had a bow to snipe (example) ICE ROUND mobs spawn (Summoner on 7 poison round) Pillars on Round 8 etc etc etc.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »
    I haven't yet... and should... put a build up for low CP it would help you greatly.

It's a little defensive but vigor and blood craze is all you'll need for the survive :smile:

2h is over rated and you'll lose damage all over the shop and it will generally cause issues on certain rounds where you'd wish you had a bow to snipe (example) ICE ROUND mobs spawn (Summoner on 7 poison round) Pillars on Round 8 etc etc etc.

If you put up a low CP build I'll certainly be interested, but don't do it on my account. I'm now going to get better gear - I'll play around with a few of the suggestions in this thread - level my Bow line, level 2H (to give me choice between 2H and DW on the main bar, secondary will be Bow), and farm enough to make all my gear epic. This will take me long enough that I'll probably only try vMA again when I'm >400 CP.
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you put up a low CP build I'll certainly be interested, but don't do it on my account. I'm now going to get better gear - I'll play around with a few of the suggestions in this thread - level my Bow line, level 2H (to give me choice between 2H and DW on the main bar, secondary will be Bow), and farm enough to make all my gear epic. This will take me long enough that I'll probably only try vMA again when I'm >400 CP.

The fact that you're taking the advice and are persisting is a great refresher from all of the "Nerf MSA" guys!

You've chose a hard class and like everyone has said and 200CP for a totally new player who hasn't done the arena before would be SO difficult, near impossible I'd say.

The only bit of advice I don't like that you've been given is to run TBS, the extra 1k health is nice but it's a damage loss compared to other sets, and the easiest way to do MSA is to have maximum damage IMO.

As you've got time between rounds and aren't on speed runs, change your CP (If you've got the gold) for the enemies in each arena (red tree) and don't be afraid to use the sigils /learn when is best to use each one - They can keep you out of a lot of trouble.

Good luck when you go in again!
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^^Thanks!
    I'm playing with TBS at the moment, and coming from Night's Silence it takes some getting used to. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll try e.g. Night Mother's Gaze as well before I try vMA again.

As for nerfing - what's the point? I can clear most (if not all) solo dungeons without any problems, so what's the point of one more solo dungeon that is easy to clear? I just started playing ESO a few days before the T1 update. The one day I was sneaking through Grahtwood to Elden Root. Anything hostile could easily kill me, and I was looking forward to revenge. The next day when I logged in, I could kill anything without any problems. No sense of accomplishment, no revenge... The developer has the stats. They know how many CP 200 players can complete vMA, how long it takes them, how many times they die, how many give up... They should have a "pass rate" in mind; if too few people pass they should nerf it, and if too many pass they should make it a bit more difficult. The player base are totally subjective whereas the developers can make an objective call based on measured statistics.
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there's a good case for a 2H/Bow setup. I first cleared vMA ages ago on my Stam NB running 2H/Bow. Rally allows for a much higher margin for error with it's burst heal potential and eliminates the need to use a Potion or other skill for Major Brutality. But the best thing about 2H IMO is the passive that grants you 30% (I think) Stamina recovery after killing an enemy w/ 2H equipped. Regen is going to be a huge issue for him being low CP and not wearing VO.

But you're right damage will technically be higher (IF you're chugging Brutality Potions) w/ DW over 2H.

Edited by kadar on February 8, 2017 5:48PM
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll smash it out tomorrow night for you and upload to my channel to your forum name for reference.

For the 2h comments.

Yes fine sure, 2h can do the job but it's just no good for learning vMA. It will get you in more trouble than what you THINK you're getting with rally. Crit surging around the place is just a disaster waiting to happen.

It should be dual wield and bow... each to their own.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is giving awesome gear and skill advice

Another thing to add/reiterate is it's going to take a long time to clear your first time. I was somewhere in the 20 to 30 hour range with my first clear.

The biggest take away from that experience, and my return visits is this: Every death is a learning experience. Remember it. How it happened and why it happened. Normal mode does jack in terms of preparing you for Vet. Pay attention to what is killing you and you'll learn how to deal with it, and when.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes fine sure, 2h can do the job but it's just no good for learning vMA. It will get you in more trouble than what you THINK you're getting with rally. Crit surging around the place is just a disaster waiting to happen.
    I...don't understand. :/

I KNOW what I'm getting with Rally: potential burst healing, and free/no-target required Major Brutality. DW is very powerful, I won't dispute that, but it can't provide those things. And Crit Surge? Both the OP and I are talking about Stamina Nightblades...

Ultimately the OP is gonna have to decide how he wants to play it, just trying to provide him with some viable options. :blush:
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright.

Because you don't understand I'll try explain again.

Rally = Vigor you can get by with Vigor there is no need for Rally.

You should also be using power pots to get your major brutality and crit and stam so that point is mute.

DW is powerful yes it is, but 2h should be thrown in the bin there burst dps isnt there it used to be a thing.
    Sorry I was talking about crit rush or whatever to navigate around the arena (not crit surge) - sorc skill -

Anyway yes, by all means he will need to learn how it's best to do things for his play style but there are much much easier ways.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I KNOW what I'm getting with Rally: potential burst healing, and free/no-target required Major Brutality. DW is very powerful, I won't dispute that, but it can't provide those things. And Crit Surge? Both the OP and I are talking about Stamina Nightblades...

Ultimately the OP is gonna have to decide how he wants to play it, just trying to provide him with some viable options. :blush:

I think he meant crit rush.
    PC | EU
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭

I think he meant crit rush.

Ty.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright.

Because you don't understand I'll try explain again.

Rally = Vigor you can get by with Vigor there is no need for Rally.

You should also be using power pots to get your major brutality and crit and stam so that point is mute.

DW is powerful yes it is, but 2h should be thrown in the bin there burst dps isnt there it used to be a thing.
    Sorry I was talking about crit rush or whatever to navigate around the arena (not crit surge) - sorc skill -

Anyway yes, by all means he will need to learn how it's best to do things for his play style but there are much much easier ways.
    Ya, at CP 200 he probably will not have the resources to be chugging Brutality/Savagry/Stam potions... I certainly didn't when I was that low level. He's still learning vMA. I mean, he'd be out of gold before he got his first clear...

Rally does not equal Vigor. Similar, yes, but because of how Rally's "final heal" builds over time, it functions as a much needed emergency heal (10k burst heal after letting it tick for 5-10 seconds). At CP 200 he simply won't have the damage (or healing) for the high-offense/low-defense nuke builds that experienced vMA veterans run.

My NB got it's Flawless Conqueror w/ a 2h/Bow setup.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a perfect world. I think we can both agree that 200 CP he won't be getting a clear. NO OFFENSE!

And if you do. That is super impressive.

Yes I do agree those pots would be expensive... but he will need all the help he can get if he plans on (getting a clear at that CP) all I'm saying aye.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    No offense taken! To be honest, I know my own skill level, and at 300 CP it's still not a given that I'll make it. At 200 CP it was clear to me that there's not chance that I would have made it, not with me being killed by the Seducer Darkfires. Hence this thread. :)
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    No offense taken! To be honest, I know my own skill level, and at 300 CP it's still not a given that I'll make it. At 200 CP it was clear to me that there's not chance that I would have made it, not with me being killed by the Seducer Darkfires. Hence this thread. :)

If you don't have monster set you can use 2 crafted paired with your weapons, like 4 hunding's rage (3 on bow bar).

1 source of healing nb have is killers blade. If you execute the mobs you don't need to use vigor that often.
    Edited by caperon on February 13, 2017 2:29PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caperon wrote: »

If you don't have monster set you can use 2 crafted paired with your weapons, like 4 hunding's rage (3 on bow bar).

1 source of healing nb have is killers blade. If you execute the mobs you don't need to use vigor that often.

Agreed, I'd also recommend killer's blade for vMA. 2% crit for slotting and magika regen after a kill is a nice plus as well.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    caperon wrote: »

I try to always use killer's blade once something is below 25% - it has kept me alive numerous times.

Since creating this thread I've moved to 5 TBS. Daggers and Bow are Hunding's, and I'm working at making head and shoulders Hunding's as well. My Clothing research will take about 9 days more before I can craft the two Hunding's items, in the meantime I'm farming to afford the upgrades to legendary. Daggers and Bow are already on legendary. Jewelry is now an Agility set.

On the skill side I've switched to SA instead of Rapid Strikes, and I've swapped Ambush for Hidden Blade. That gives me Major Brutality, and is part of me teaching myself to keep my buffs up the whole time. When I try vMA again one day I'll go back to Ambush for a gap closer, and use potions to get Major Brutality.

I'll probably play around with both a full Hunding's set and a full NMG set before trying vMA again - as long as I have a development path to follow I don't mind if it takes a while.
    Edited by malicia on February 15, 2017 5:33AM
    PC, EU
    @taciti