The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

current meta for DK?

MrDenimChicken
MrDenimChicken
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all,

I was gonna make a DK. I wanted to make some badass DK slapping people with that firey whip in pvp, lol. But before I make my char, I wanted to ask. Are mag dk's and stam dk's both good in pvp right now? which is better?

And are the best races dark elf for magicka and redguard for stamina?
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like the whip, hmmm, sounds wrong..... youll want magdk

Difference between mag and stam? I think they both have very different gameplay. I like dunmer for magdk, altmer is decent as well. Stamdk has a lot of racial options and you can go med or heavy armor, dps or tank. Mine is an orc for the speed passive, redguard would be good for burst, imperial is fantastic all around, nord for tank. In short, many options, so it depends on what you are going for.

Stamdk has great sustain and both have great ccs and benefit from high ult regen. You can use weapon skills or passives for expedition (bow passive or that dual wield ability with spinning blades). You can go 2h which is a VERY strong skill line with an execute and rally and vigor are great for heals, especially with igneous shields. Personally, i find it the easiest skilline to use and the equivalent of velveta cheese in pvp.

Magdk, youll need to go vamp as you have no option for expedition. Healing is not easy and takes a lot of practice. Most often magdk go heavy armor though there are a handful of light armor sets. CC and dot is the game and out sustaining ypur enemy. Skoria is great to add burst as you dont really have many options. Next patch it will be in a better place with dots being more powerful. There is no execute which I am ok with but it is for sure a harder playing style and a tough class to master.

Currently, i find stam to be easier to play and noob friendly. You can score kills with proc sets (may change with the patch next week). They cant crit anymore but can still triple stack dmg (still dumb imo). Magdk takes a lot, a lot, a lot of work to be good. You really need to know your class. There are changes next patch. If your in pvp and see a magdk that is really good, send them a whisper. Theyll probably help you because they are sticking to a hard play style.

Hope this helps
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    I have a stam and a Magicka dk I use for PvP.. both are in heavy armor.. SnB front bar for both.. I would say Magicka is definitely more challenging.. at the moment I'm enjoying my stam dk more for PvP. But for PvE my Magicka dk for sure. Magicka is still very effective in PvP, and I still have fun with it on there from time to time.. but in that regard stam is definitely my go to.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam is much easier to play, has better damage, better heals, and is tankier. Can solo or small group effectively. Solo magicka DK is like a penguin in the Sahara.

But if you want whips, come to the magicka dark side. We have cookies and tears... although fewer tears next patch.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Stam is much easier to play, has better damage, better heals, and is tankier. Can solo or small group effectively. Solo magicka DK is like a penguin in the Sahara.

But if you want whips, come to the magicka dark side. We have cookies and tears... although fewer tears next patch.

Most species of penguins live in tropical areas of the world.... So jokes on you
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mDK requires more effort to master, but boy is it rewarding.
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome info guys and gals, thanks

I think I'll lvl magDK and pvp stam
    Edited by MrDenimChicken on February 1, 2017 5:30AM
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play mDK its the easier spec, just whip and talon spam with Valkyn skoria, get your dots up which heal you, and meteor fossilize to victory.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we may need to dive in to the whole penguin situation in much greater depth....

both magicka and stamina DK'S have great shields...so, which ever you chose you'll be naturally durable...

dark elf seems to sorta be the standard for mag dk's for their flame passives...

my stam dk is an imperial...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    I think we may need to dive in to the whole penguin situation in much greater depth...

Regardless of geographic and climatic distribution -- and it is true many penguins don't live in cold places -- penguins are an aquatic bird. One in the Sahara is at a distinct disadvantage.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panth141 wrote: »
    mDK requires more effort to master, but boy is it rewarding.

Once you master the magicka playstyle it can be a beast especially after the next patch
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    geonsocal wrote: »
    I think we may need to dive in to the whole penguin situation in much greater depth...

Regardless of geographic and climatic distribution -- and it is true many penguins don't live in cold places -- penguins are an aquatic bird. One in the Sahara is at a distinct disadvantage.

All 17 species of penguins are found exclusively in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seen as this is about DKs, for mag DK which do you prefer? Grothdarr / Skoria?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ATM? Grothdarr for zergdiving. Skoria for bursting for single targets. Bloodspawn is still really, really nice on DKs, tho.

• Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StamDK is in a so so state if you ask me.

DOTS are a pathetic form of damage in group fights... purge decimates dot damage.

So what does a StamDK have for damage? Wrecking Block / Dizzying Swing are in a pathetic state. Many people are running Miat or some form of addon that lets them know to block... which makes Dizzying swing worthless as a reliable form of CC.

Dual wield is pew pew damage and again, in a pathetic state for PvP.

That leaves StamDK stuck with sword and board... which is also in a pathetic state for DPS.. the only way to make it strong is to run Tremorscale so that way you actually have a cheap spammable ability that does good damage and slows the target down.

I hope that some day Stam DK will get a stam morph of Whip... maybe... someday...
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish that 2Hander skill line had something that was cheap and effective for being a spammable damage dealing ability.

But I'd take a stam morph of Whip too...
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rohaus wrote: »

DOTS are a pathetic form of damage in group fights... purge decimates dot damage.

So what does a StamDK have for damage? Wrecking Block / Dizzying Swing are in a pathetic state. Many people are running Miat or some form of addon that lets them know to block... which makes Dizzying swing worthless as a reliable form of CC.

That leaves StamDK stuck with sword and board... which is also in a pathetic state for DPS.. the only way to make it strong is to run Tremorscale so that way you actually have a cheap spammable ability that does good damage and slows the target down.

I hope that some day Stam DK will get a stam morph of Whip... maybe... someday...
    And yet, it seems like when stuff like Black Rose or proc sets make their way into the game, everyone points fingers at Dragonknights for being the most broken.

Stamknights use, like, two of their class skills in PvP.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly... the only way to do any meaningful damage is with proc sets as a StamDK.

I surmise that if you want to play StamDK... best bet is just to roll with Tremorscale and run Red Mountain. This is even after the nerfs come to proc damage in the form of no crit.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • kessik221
    kessik221
    ✭✭✭
    Stam dks have some cool things they can use. Just because they are stam doesnt mean they cant use magicka cc abilities. For example instead of running crit rush you could run chains and rearming trap, lay your trap pull, there you go stunned and immobilized. Lets not forget the all powerful fossilize. Unblockable cc into a heavy attack, dots then when they gotta heal or break toss in 2h ult and execute.
  • KisoValley
    KisoValley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a stamDK main I can't tell you how wrong you are lol. StamDK is easy mode in PVP, not as easy as stam sorc but still easy enough. There is a reason the best stamDKs in EU (Krazzt/Dusk) are playing different classes more than their stamDKs these days lol.

S+B is so strong. Great damage + the tankiness. Bow/2H is lacking a little because of the HA meta making dizzying swing not as strong.

I still don't use tremorscale. I use blood spawn and stick with heroic slash weaving for the ulti regen. If I feel like spreading aids in cyro i'll swap to selenes.

StamDK doesn't need buffs.
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is sword and board great damage without the use of tremorscale?

I can't help but think you are referring to StamDK being great in a 1 v 1 situation. Because honestly in a group fight, a StamDK dot damage is worthless... the only thing they bring to a group fight is survival and the armor debuff which again is easily purged. No one is denying, including me, how good StamDK is in 1v1... but if you reread what I originally stated, you will see that I was talking about group fights. Against good groups, they will leave tanks alone.

Perhaps on the EU servers there aren't very many Templars running in groups but I find that hard to believe.

Tell me how a StamDK, without the use of tremor, is supposed to properly assist in group fights in terms of damage.

Being the last one standing? Oh ya... good job on surviving... only to die in the end.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • KingKalbo
    KingKalbo
    ✭✭
    I run Knights Errant 5 and Hundings 5 DK and not finding the damage very good without monster or proc sets. Any1 got a link to a build that does not use them or another weapon set on the back bar. I want SB both bars.
  • KisoValley
    KisoValley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help but think you are referring to StamDK being great in a 1 v 1 situation. Because honestly in a group fight, a StamDK dot damage is worthless... the only thing they bring to a group fight is survival and the armor debuff which again is easily purged. No one is denying, including me, how good StamDK is in 1v1... but if you reread what I originally stated, you will see that I was talking about group fights. Against good groups, they will leave tanks alone.

Perhaps on the EU servers there aren't very many Templars running in groups but I find that hard to believe.

Tell me how a StamDK, without the use of tremor, is supposed to properly assist in group fights in terms of damage.

Being the last one standing? Oh ya... good job on surviving... only to die in the end.

I know how to set my bars correctly. Go and watch Vyr Kor from NA play stamDK in a group. He's a pure tank but plays stamDK well in group play, but I have also built damage in my build too because I know my class inside out.

If you want an example of stamDK in group doing damage with S+B, go watch Faso's stream when he's 4vXing with 3 stamDKs. They are killing 20+ man groups as stamDKs + 1 sorc (Faso only plays Sorc/NB). They've built correctly and know the DK class inside out.

As for the Templar comment, just lol. There are 2-3 guilds in EU who run solely Templars in their groups or only Templars + DKs. They are aids as heck to fight and most of the time we just ignore them because of their healing, tanking + damage capabilities.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KisoValley wrote: »

I know how to set my bars correctly. Go and watch Vyr Kor from NA play stamDK in a group. He's a pure tank but plays stamDK well in group play, but I have also built damage in my build too because I know my class inside out.

If you want an example of stamDK in group doing damage with S+B, go watch Faso's stream when he's 4vXing with 3 stamDKs. They are killing 20+ man groups as stamDKs + 1 sorc (Faso only plays Sorc/NB). They've built correctly and know the DK class inside out.

As for the Templar comment, just lol. There are 2-3 guilds in EU who run solely Templars in their groups or only Templars + DKs. They are aids as heck to fight and most of the time we just ignore them because of their healing, tanking + damage capabilities.

You dodged the question is there a Stam DK build without proc sets that can deal dmg?

I have yet to be successful in pvp without the use of proc sets. Whether it's a 1v1 or open world.

Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    KisoValley wrote: »

You dodged the question is there a Stam DK build without proc sets that can deal dmg?

I have yet to be successful in pvp without the use of proc sets. Whether it's a 1v1 or open world.

Fury + seventh legion + BS

You're welcome