Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Looking for Lightning Staff MagSorc ideas

AlwaysOnFire
AlwaysOnFire
✭✭✭✭
Hey everybody,

I was looking to begin outfitting a light armor magicka sorc. I've been hurting lately because dual wield or inferno staff seems to be the meta (better access to monster helm+ pauldron, Ilambris I guess?) but I'm really in love with lightning staves right now.

Currently I'm running 5 elegance/5 julianos after leveling, but I'm not fully upgraded or committed. But even at this point I am unimpressed with the numbers a bit. If I upgrade a few more pieces to gold I can hit 3k spell damage with divines, but I'm sort of spoiled with my mDK who with silks/burning spell weave commonly gets 35k crits on heavy attacks.

What's going to be the way to kick it up? Or should I just be patient and invest in this gear? Or should I drop the lightning staff and try another approach?
  • Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    You can run spellweave, alchemist or lich on the back (fire) bar and your damage set of choice on the front (lightning) with Ilambris. That's how I run my necro build now and it works great.

Lich is even more forgiving because you only need to be on the bar once a minute and there's a sharp inferno named drop.

I really like the spellweave setup though, sustain is decent.

Or you can go with the maelstrom staves and trial jewelry.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    There were several builds that centered around the idea of lightning staff builds (you can find two in my signature), but ZoS decided to nerf the sets they used to the ground. So if you plan on using lightning staffs, I recommend going for a dk. They put out more damage through molten armaments than sorcs and can surpass 30k dps easily with lightning staffs.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • AlwaysOnFire
    AlwaysOnFire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    There were several builds that centered around the idea of lightning staff builds (you can find two in my signature), but ZoS decided to nerf the sets they used to the ground. So if you plan on using lightning staffs, I recommend going for a dk. They put out more damage through molten armaments than sorcs and can surpass 30k dps easily with lightning staffs.

ahaha... too late... im already leveled....

(thanks for the tips though, even if I'm still not settled on a concrete plan moving forward)
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Masel92 wrote: »

ahaha... too late... im already leveled....

(thanks for the tips though, even if I'm still not settled on a concrete plan moving forward)

I have a few ideas for my magsorc heavy attack build to update it for homestead, I will do some testing tonight and adjust the build accordingly.

Maybe @Redvyperofdorne can give you some additional input for magsorcs.
    Edited by Masel on January 30, 2017 5:04PM
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the smell of Ozone in the Morning. It smells,......Like Victory.

With the Sorcerer passive boosting Lightening attacks, it is quite the light show to run into a fight with Boundless Storm and Surge up, drop some Liquid Lightening, then lay down a Wall of Elements and an Impulse/Pulsar. Repeat the last 3 until all mobs are fried.

I think you will find your Lightning Sorcerer to be quite the effective killing machine. You could even use some of the same skills on your Single Target/Boss Bar.

And, don't forget Overload. Although that is getting Nerfed by 50% in the next patch.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AlwaysOnFire
    AlwaysOnFire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

With the Sorcerer passive boosting Lightening attacks, it is quite the light show to run into a fight with Boundless Storm and Surge up, drop some Liquid Lightening, then lay down a Wall of Elements and an Impulse/Pulsar. Repeat the last 3 until all mobs are fried.

I think you will find your Lightning Sorcerer to be quite the effective killing machine. You could even use some of the same skills on your Single Target/Boss Bar.

And, don't forget Overload. Although that is getting Nerfed by 50% in the next patch.

This fun is exactly what attracted me to the build; a lighting magsorc was my first ESO character before I really "got" how to play, and then going back actually knowing what to do has been a delight. It's why I want to try and get the best out of this character if possible.

if I run a different sorc I definitely want to try a pets!sorc through. But for now, it's wool-socks-on-the-carpet all the way.
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

This fun is exactly what attracted me to the build; a lighting magsorc was my first ESO character before I really "got" how to play, and then going back actually knowing what to do has been a delight. It's why I want to try and get the best out of this character if possible.

if I run a different sorc I definitely want to try a pets!sorc through. But for now, it's wool-socks-on-the-carpet all the way.

Take a look at the build in my sig. I'll be updating this once update 13 hits Xbox.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE, a front bar lighting IS the meta, has been for a while. Next patch, it will be even more so. Sorcs benefit more than any other classes from the change to Destro passives. Our two biggest damage skills are both AOE and we get a boost to shock damage, so lightning staff is the perfect front bar weapon. We also tend to execute from our back bar as well as run our blockade from our backbar, so this is the perfect place for a fire staff. We get the single target buff from the fire staff when we execute, and we get fire blockade to keep or BSW uptime nice and high.

In PVP, there is more than one way to do things. Lightning staffs do suffer because you cant really charge a full heavy for burst, but the flipside is that they are really nice for the AOE damage they give. If running BSW, you really need a fire staff somewhere in your build.

For PVE, the meta gear is 4 moondancer (or aether), 5 BSW, 2 llambris on front bar, and 3 moondancer, 1 VMA staff, 5 BSW, 2 llambris on back bar. Lighting/Fire.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 30, 2017 6:30PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemist + BSW + IG is a great set up using front lightning bsw staff.

I use this set up in my pet build, (in my sig)

For PvP, the up coming buffs to pets and inferno staff make them very attractive (I suspect we'll see more mSorcs much like the old days)

Waiting to see Natch Potes for 2.7.4
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds