The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why does the game crash MY ENTIRE PC?

HallLytton
HallLytton
Soul Shriven
Just after it logs in, as it's attempting to load the character select screen, everything just shuts off, completely kills power. No other game I have has done this, and I'm rocking a high-end Alienware laptop that was top-shelf only a few years ago. (Two or three years, tops.) So what the what is going on here? I ran the diagnostics tool that came with the game and it just spit out what my hardware specs are, I tried repairing game files via the launcher and NOT the Steam as I have seen instructed while searching for clues to face this issue, and the problem persists. I've crashed my rig five times (I counted) checking to see if the issue was resolved. This is kicking my azz, guys. Any suggestions? I thought about reducing the visual options, figured maybe it was a memory issue, but the game logs in before I can access the login-screen settings menu and make adjustments.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem about a year ago: the game would let me log on but crashed the entire computer within a few minutes.

In my case, it turned out to be a problem with the graphics card--the fan on it had stopped working.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm....not sure but if you have addons I suggest disabling all of them before loading from the Character screen.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laptop overheating? The last time I had a PC shut down like that was when I was building mine...and um...forgot to plug in the CPU heatsink fan. About the time my desktop would start to load my PC would shut off to prevent my CPU from cooking. I'd first look at the CPU and GPU to see if one is overheating.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.