Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A small group of eso vets (playing since beta) talking about balance

glitchmaster999
glitchmaster999
✭✭✭✭
We have been playing ESO since the second to last beta and have been involved in almost all aspects of eso including RP, trials, dungeons and VMA. The only thing that we regrettably have next to no experience in is PVP.

On discord last night we had a two hour discussion about what we think should be done not only to balance eso but to make it less awkward and more fun for everyone. The changes in one tamriel did a great deal to achieve this goal but below is a list of changes that we think will greatly improve the experience that eso has to offer.

- Make two handed weapons (staffs, bows and 2h) count as two pieces of a set - This one seems like it would only increase the gap between magicka and stamina as the majority of stam builds have access to two 5 piece sets and a monster helm set while the majority of magicka builds only have access to one 5 piece set, a 3 piece jewelry, a monster helm set and an awkward weapon off to the side (usually vMA). We feel like allowing all characters to have the same structure of item builds (5/5/2) provides more diversity in the builds. It would also improve the state of bow and 2h dps builds. Obviously if this is implemented the power increase would need to be managed appropriately.

- Change awkward sets like twice born star- this isn't really a balance thing but this set is really cool and interesting but we find ourselves avoiding it's use purely and simply because it limits the players ability to adapt builds on the fly. With any other set you can unequip the set for a certain fight in favor of a different set and then reequip the set after the fight however with twice born star if you do this you have to go out and reacquire your second mundus buff. I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement but would it be possibly to store a second mundus buff per player so that when the twice born star set is equipped it automatically activates the second stored mundus? If not would it be possible to have the character sheet have a drop down that allows players to switch between all DISCOVERED mundus stone buffs. This means that exploration is still important but it isn't as limiting to players.

- Choose a stance on stam vs magicka and stick with it- This one has been an argument since beta. Should melee stam builds have higher dps than casters because of the added danger? Should they be tankier than caster builds so as to better survive the increased danger? ESO balance has danced around this question over many updates. Just when it seemed to be settling on stam being better at sustaining resources magicka builds started having access to ele drain or siphon spirit (which is being mega buffed next patch). Instead of dancing around the subject, pick a stance and stick with it, an easy method would be to provide a stamina steal debuff as well as a magicka steal debuff. This would make stamina builds the ultimate resource sustain dps. Another possibility would be to add a lot more health sustain to melee abilities so that melee builds can mitigate some of the danger that comes with standing in red more often.

- Possibly rework master/maelstrom weapons- With the new update coming soon, skill lines have been altered so that the spam-able single target ability comes first in every skill line. With this change doesn't it make sense for the master weapons (that are very rarely used) to be reworked to boost the power of these skills rather than the old first in tree skills (such as cleave on the 2h). By doing this there would be two avenues for obtaining a solid endgame arena item. It could even be arranged so that master weapons provide a better increase to the main hand weapon (such as using snipe as main dps ability on a bow) while maelstrom could be the best off hand bar weapons (such as endless hail with maelstrom bow). This would further diversify builds and also allow for a substantial buff to 2h dps in PVE (increasing dps of uppercut the 2h single target dps ability).

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I would like to remind you we have no experience in PVP. I welcome any feedback (particularly dev feedback letting me know if these changes are a possibility).
  • Riggsy
    Riggsy
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one seems like it would only increase the gap between magicka and stamina as the majority of stam builds have access to two 5 piece sets and a monster helm set while the majority of magicka builds only have access to one 5 piece set, a 3 piece jewelry, a monster helm set and an awkward weapon off to the side (usually vMA).

lol what? Mag already outperforms stam in endgame content, moreover most endgame stam builds run a maelstrom bow on their back bar so they are limited in set choices too. Not to mention both stam and mag run VO or IA gear 3 piece for the 5% damage boost....

MMAGA - We Made Medium Armor Great Again
    Evasion: Casting this ability and its morphs now requires that you wear 5 pieces of Medium Armor.

Woe Biden - Mule
    Donald Thump - Mule
    M'aiq Pence - Mule
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Riggsy wrote: »
    This one seems like it would only increase the gap between magicka and stamina as the majority of stam builds have access to two 5 piece sets and a monster helm set while the majority of magicka builds only have access to one 5 piece set, a 3 piece jewelry, a monster helm set and an awkward weapon off to the side (usually vMA).

lol what? Mag already outperforms stam in endgame content, moreover most endgame stam builds run a maelstrom bow on their back bar so they are limited in set choices too. Not to mention both stam and mag run VO or IA gear 3 piece for the 5% damage boost....

Did kind of mention that it would increase the gap. Doesn't mean it will always be like that. Please read all of the post before commenting...

"Obviously if this is implemented the power increase would need to be managed appropriately."

Just because they currently run 3 piece doesn't mean it should be the only option for some builds.... I did say it was to increase diversity not just balance.
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have next to no experience in is PVP........

On discord last night we had a two hour discussion about what we think should be done not only to balance eso .

That's priceless.
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, this is the same *** that we've all been saying for months. But maybe since these almighty beta players had a two-hour talk, Zenimax will actually listen.

Maybe I should take this technique into consideration when posting. Hey @Wrobel, I was just on a two-hour phone call with the President of the United States. He said, "Make DKs great again".
    PC NA

~Currently taking a break from the game until my DK can become something more than just a crafter~
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neighbor wrote: »
    I mean, this is the same *** that we've all been saying for months. But maybe since these almighty beta players had a two-hour talk, Zenimax will actually listen.

Maybe I should take this technique into consideration when posting. Hey @Wrobel, I was just on a two-hour phone call with the President of the United States. He said, "Make DKs great again".

Yeah no need to be a ***, just thought it was interesting and might be worth posting. I didn't attack anyone or anything I just shared the thoughts we had but I'm sure you'll make it far in life....
  • jpeter88
    jpeter88
    ✭✭✭
    trolls will be trolls
    561 Dark elf mDK
    561 Redguard stam DK
    561 Redguard stam sorc
    561 khajiit stam nm
    561 high elf mag nb
    561 high elf mag sorc
    561 bretan mag templar
    561 imperial stam dk tank
    561 imperial stam temp
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post and somega nice points. I like the TBS thing. Would be cool if mundus was applied to armour instead of to character. Eg TBS you can apply 2 mundus to. You could then switch armors and adopt the mundus attached to that armor set.
    My internet is invalid
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah no need to be a ***, just thought it was interesting and might be worth posting. I didn't attack anyone or anything I just shared the thoughts we had but I'm sure you'll make it far in life....

Sorry, not trying to be an ass but the stuff you mentioned is basically the same stuff we've all been saying for a long time. I don't think anyone is going to change ZoS's mind, no matter who it comes from.
    PC NA

~Currently taking a break from the game until my DK can become something more than just a crafter~
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, not trying to be an ass but the stuff you mentioned is basically the same stuff we've all been saying for a long time. I don't think anyone is going to change ZoS's mind, no matter who it comes from.

never hurts to try does it.
    hydrocynus wrote: »
    Nice post and somega nice points. I like the TBS thing. Would be cool if mundus was applied to armour instead of to character. Eg TBS you can apply 2 mundus to. You could then switch armors and adopt the mundus attached to that armor set.

yeah using the current TBS literally made me have to lose my progress in the final round of vMA by trying to change my build. I accidentally equipped the wrong item and lost my TBS set, then had to go out and get the second mundus.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    magicka builds started having access to ele drain or siphon spirit (which is being mega buffed next patch).

Huh? Ele Drain and Siphon Spirit are getting nerfed pretty hard next patch. Right now they stack and each generally provides +400 magicka/sec. With next Update, Ele Drain and Force Siphon and Radiant Aura will all provide exact same flat 400 magicka/sec "Minor Magicka Steal" buff. And they will not stack with each other or when applied to multiple targets. So the magicka sustain provided by those skills will be cut by more than half.