The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

BIS gear for MagiSorc's post patch

Ghostextechnica
Does anyone have any insight into BIS gear for MagiSorc's after the patch drops?

Some of the changes I'm aware of:
  • I hear Twice Born Star (TBS) is getting nerfed.
  • Some proc set's have been nerfed.
  • There are some lesser known impacts that might impact gear. E.g. Burning Spellweave (BSW) largely relies on Fire Blockage to keep proc's up. However, with lightning staffs now getting an AOE passive buff from Destruction, it may be better to use Lightning Blockade.. meaning it's way harder to proc BSW.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a flame enchantment proc it or infernal set? Volcanic rune is fire damage too I believe if it has too be a skill proc.
    Edited by Mojmir on January 27, 2017 3:32AM
  • Ghostextechnica
    Posssibly! But with only a 20% chance to proc it'll only happen 1 in 5 times. Not sure if anyone uses volcanic rune for optimal dps at the moment?
    Edited by Ghostextechnica on January 27, 2017 7:08AM
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    BSW will be BiS for MagSorc.
    TBS is going to be trash for any build.
    If you don't believe in a good uptime you can go for Julianos, it will provide you a solid DPS, but less than BSW would.
    And btw: as you have to bars you can and should slot both infernos, a lightning as well as a inferno
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
  • Ghostextechnica
    True! But I haven't seen any stats yet on whether lightning blockade is now better than fire blockade dps wise with the aoe buff.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True! But I haven't seen any stats yet on whether lightning blockade is now better than fire blockade dps wise with the aoe buff.

Lightning gets the aoe buff,8%?
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not a DPS player but it is really easy to guess what setup will be best if you are into theorycrafting and listen to other end-game PvE'ers opinions on stuff like this .

5 BSW , 2 Ilambris , 3 Moondancer jewelry , 1 Lightning Moondancer with Spell Damage enchant , 1 Sharpened MSA inferno

I also think pets (especially Volatile Familiar) will be doing more DPS than slotting Bound Aegis . You will lose some Max Magicka but who cares when your pet is doing 5-6k single target DPS , can go much higher in any AOE fight . I think Daedric Prey will be the better choice as well even though Haunting Curse is more DPS within itself . Daedric Prey will provide a easier rotation and better DPS from pet .

Magsorc probably will be the best in AOE (pet and Lightning Staff) , single target (everything basically) , survival (health bonus from pet and Hardened Ward) and utility (a third skill bar filled with skills only for easy and fast backyard running) all at once amongst all magicka classes . Only reason to bring a templar is for Minor Sorcery and high cleave damage . Only reason to bring a DK is the chains and Engulfing Flames . Only reason to bring a Nightblade is ... oh wait . I have no idea . Extra healing ? Hmm . No , don't think so . Goddammit , I don't know .

As I said , I am not a DPS player . I just do theorycrafting and testing in PTS . Most DPS I got with all Magicka classes was a Pet Magicka Sorcerer with Lightning Staff on front bar , using Necropotence .
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some lesser known impacts that might impact gear. E.g. Burning Spellweave (BSW) largely relies on Fire Blockage to keep proc's up. However, with lightning staffs now getting an AOE passive buff from Destruction, it may be better to use Lightning Blockade.. meaning it's way harder to proc BSW.

You can use fire blockade on your backbar, then switch to lightning staff with a destru spell slotted (force pulse), and get the 8% bonus on fire blockade. Same, you can use curse on your main lightning bar, switch on your back fire bar, and get curse single damage's part boosted. The new staff passive use your actual staff, not the staff you had when you used the skill.

BSW is still as good as now for sorc, nothing change. Sorc just get a great increase with these staves passives.
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if pets make it to pve trials, necropotence. if not, bsw.
    i think illambris + 3/4 moondancer + 1 msa staff are solid additions either way.

maybe, maybe we'll also see bsw+necro.

but tbh i expect pets to die in pve trials unless you shield them and that'd be a dps loss
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »
    There are some lesser known impacts that might impact gear. E.g. Burning Spellweave (BSW) largely relies on Fire Blockage to keep proc's up. However, with lightning staffs now getting an AOE passive buff from Destruction, it may be better to use Lightning Blockade.. meaning it's way harder to proc BSW.

You can use fire blockade on your backbar, then switch to lightning staff with a destru spell slotted (force pulse), and get the 8% bonus on fire blockade. Same, you can use curse on your main lightning bar, switch on your back fire bar, and get curse single damage's part boosted. The new staff passive use your actual staff, not the staff you had when you used the skill.

BSW is still as good as now for sorc, nothing change. Sorc just get a great increase with these staves passives.

Would this not then mean you are losing the 8% single target bonus for force pulse?

And assuming the staff light/medium attack also counts as single target then you'd surely be better off keeping FP on your fire staff bar than lightning?
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • xblackroxe
    xblackroxe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flaminir wrote: »

Would this not then mean you are losing the 8% single target bonus for force pulse?

And assuming the staff light/medium attack also counts as single target then you'd surely be better off keeping FP on your fire staff bar than lightning?

Staff attacks dont get boosted by the staff passives but yes most probably firestaff on both bars will be bis for bossfights.
    Member of HODOR

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure we will use:
    BSW, Moondancer and Kena/Ilambris.
    The staff is a matter of preference, I'll keep using my lightning staff on front and fire on back because AoE skills (Liquid and Blockade) are you highest DPS skills and basically every fight has an AoE conponent. For some bosses you could go double inferno like Valariel or Manticora, but I know I'll be too lazy to switch so I'll use a shock staff on front.
    Pets could see some use, if so we'll use Necro and instead of Inner Light we'll slot the scamp. I don't like this idea because I know for a fact that that stupid creature will stand in every possible AoE including Sun Eaters, Rakkhat (he'll probably stand on the pad too), Warrior (gonna get Cleaved his daedric buttocks back into Oblivion), the Mage (Chain Lightning, Void) and the Serpent (Meteor). On console it will be even worse as there is no way to control the scamp. The extra HP is nice however and you will be a bag of stats.
    Ilambris is good but the more DPS you do, the better Kena gets, so the absolute BiS will be Kena. I hate that set so I'll stick to Ilambris cause its already golded out and my Kena stayed forever purple.
    Moondancer is better than Aether this patch for sure as crit damage was nerfed in general so we gotta boost our base stats up and not rely solely on crit.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you have to choose : boost crystal frag, force pulse, curse (single target part) and fire weaving or boost familiar pulse, curse (aoe part), force pulse secondary hit, wall of fire, liquid lightning, meteor, thunder rage and lightning HA.
    I personally prefer to keep a lightning staff on the front bar, but you can choose, and even swap easily.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it stays were you switch bars that doesn't have x5 set slotted you lose the timed buff, I don't see how BSW would be able to maintain as well as before.

Wouldn't that change BiS?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xblackroxe wrote: »

Staff attacks dont get boosted by the staff passives but yes most probably firestaff on both bars will be bis for bossfights.

still on single target isn't ll and blockade top %? Then lighting on front would be better
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »

still on single target isn't ll and blockade top %? Then lighting on front would be better

Yes but you need to look at overall dps between single vs. aoe for all skills. Chances are single-target abilities will be the bigger %.
    ALACRITY Emperors united RIP
    LAST PRODIGIES World first SO clear RIP

The last egg in the carton.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akimbro wrote: »

Yes but you need to look at overall dps between single vs. aoe for all skills. Chances are single-target abilities will be the bigger %.

On live, 47% of my 44K dps on lightning atro was aoe damage. In terms boss dps, double flame staff will be better. Though on any fight with even one add, lightning frontbar should net you more total damage. I plan on having both depending on the boss fight
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭

On live, 47% of my 44K dps on lightning atro was aoe damage. In terms boss dps, double flame staff will be better. Though on any fight with even one add, lightning frontbar should net you more total damage. I plan on having both depending on the boss fight

Similar results from my testing too.
    ALACRITY Emperors united RIP
    LAST PRODIGIES World first SO clear RIP

The last egg in the carton.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or you can frontbar fire and backbar lightning heavyattack in any situation where that´s an overall dps gain ._.
    That´s what mr. lazypants here is going to do.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50