The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Need help choosing class/race with current game

flguy147ub17_ESO
flguy147ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, i am about to return and am starting from scratch with no characters on Xbox (played on the other platforms). I think there is about to be class updates the next patch so i dont want to pick something horrible. I dont need the OP class or anything just not the broken class. So i am about 70% PVP and 30% PVE.

1. I am thinking of a Magicka Templar, Magicka DK or Magicka Sorc. How will these be after the update next month especially in PVP. And which one should be the best?

2. Also how will Vampires be, i use to play a Magicka DK Vamp but still may play a Vamp with one of the other 2 classes i am considering. And should i go Dunmer no matter what if i want to go Vamp. Yes i do want to min/max my character. If not then should i go Altmer for Templar and Sorc? I know there were updates to racials so i am just not sure how everything works currently.

Thanks for the help guys and if anybody has a close knit guild willing to welcome a returning player starting from scratch for the 3rd time lol, i will be needing a guild on Xbox.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, Dunmer, Bretons and Altmer are the "best" magica races.

If you go for magica DK, dunmer are still the best option for the extra fire damage, vampire or not. Grab a flame stuff and watch them all burn. And if you do go vampy, you will really appreciate the extra flame resistance to offset the vampires weakness a bit.

Magica templars are better with betons, sorceror casters are nifty with altmer... but you can be quite effective by switching that around as well. Much there depends on playstyle and such, but all can work out quite effectively.
    If you still are set on vampire, I personally would suggest breton - makes more sense from the lore point of view, altmer are not really much into it (but then, neither are dunmer...)

If you maybe want some more specialized build then the classic light armor and staff caster, some other races can be coinsidered as well, argonian templar healers are not half bad for example... and magica tanks can be quite interesting when made with a tanky race... but you seem more interested in a classic magica build, so... maybe not.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about the super-effectiveness - because sooner or later, things will change again, whatever goes meta next will get nerfed, and whatever proves to be less effective then they thought will be redone.

Don't chase the flavor of the month.
    Make a character that you will enjoy playing no matter what.
    Flexibility counts for more there then some meta that may become invalid in six months...
  • Ironside
    Ironside
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't matter unless you plan on gaming with elitist jerks.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironside wrote: »
    Shouldn't matter unless you plan on gaming with elitist jerks.

Maybe i enjoy building my character to the max, so yes it does matter to me.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, you could be creating the FotM today, only to find it nerfed tomorrow.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say mag sorc best dps and easiest to play with
    Pc na
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I would vote Mag Sorc. They can be a little boring sometimes.

Magicka DK probably has the flashiest animations and design imo (Dat Leap!).
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. flguy147ub17_ESO
      flguy147ub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dyride wrote: »
      Yeah I would vote Mag Sorc. They can be a little boring sometimes.

Magicka DK probably has the flashiest animations and design imo (Dat Leap!).

Yeah i played Magicka DK on PC and PS4. Played when it was OP and weak in PVP but was good in PVE always when i played. So yeah i was considering giving something else a go for a change. The Stamina abilities i just never found fun to use is why i enjoy Magicka in this game better. But that is personal preference really.

But is DW Sorc still better than Destro staff? Or what about next update? I want to use a destro staff.
    2. Jim_Berry
      Jim_Berry
      ✭✭✭
      Generally, Dunmer, Bretons and Altmer are the "best" magica races...

Why don't people just say Dark Elf instead of Dunmer, or High Elf instead of Altmer? I always have to google the names :(
    3. Jim_Berry
      Jim_Berry
      ✭✭✭
      Tabbycat wrote: »
      The thing is, you could be creating the FotM today, only to find it nerfed tomorrow.

What is FotM? I'm out of touch!
    4. MythicEmperor
      MythicEmperor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'd say go with what you truly want. FOTM (flavor of the month) will change. Just pick something that has passives at least geared towards what you want, not what is currently best. I always main a Dunmer in TES, and ESO was no exception. It used to not be the best magicka race. It wasn't even amazing (after caps were removed). Altmer and Breton always seemed to outshine it, except in magdk. With semi-recent changes, however, Dunmer is considered the best. It is only a matter of time until the meta shifts again, but it doesn't bother me. I will always main a Dunmer because of Morrowind.
      With cold regards,
      Mythic

Favorite Characters:
      Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
      Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
      Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
      Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
      Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
      Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
    5. TheShadowScout
      TheShadowScout
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Jim_Berry wrote: »
      Generally, Dunmer, Bretons and Altmer are the "best" magica races...

Why don't people just say Dark Elf instead of Dunmer, or High Elf instead of Altmer? I always have to google the names :(
      Its a mer thing. ;)
      The humies may call us dark elves, or them high elves, but we know what our names are! :p
      ...I will always main a Dunmer because of Morrowind.
      Indeed.
      That is exactly the reason my main nightblade assassin girl and secondary sorceror librarian boy are both dunmer. (though since I am often a bit contrary, I never use flame staves with my sorc, even if it was more effective, it doesn't fit the "goth boi" theme I go for with him)
      16195304_1296360237052162_5018559261237789134_n.jpg?oh=d2857db9d4d1e072cf4a7967ef97fb54&oe=591E90F3
      :hushed:;):D
      But hey, for me the fun is in creating an individual character. I couldn't care less about my barely adequate PvPness, as long as I have fun getting my "prfect character" the way I imagine them to be...
      (besides, ESO has one great advantage over many other games that with a bit of luck you can always balance lack in PvP quality by bringing more quantity... even less then super-effective PvPlayers can have their share of victories, and great fun, if they just run with a nice warband...)