The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Housing: Furniture limit - a show stopper for collectors

manavortex
manavortex
✭✭✭✭
I've started furnishing around on PTS, and I've quickly ran into the realisation that the furniture limit is too low for anyone who loves books.
After properly cluttering up my characters's workspace, I've already used up 80 furniture items, and I haven't even started putting up any bookshelves:

eAiueq1OudMRV8o93Gm5wo0j7xDRbr.png

You get around ~200 paperbacks on a single bookshelf. Let's say that the Mages' guild tomes, as they are now, take about thrice that size, means that my character has cluttered a whole shelf's worth of books around her table (typical for her - why put back a book that you'll need again in five minutes?). My husband and I share a flat that's about the size of the Kragenhome, and we have (quick estimate) about 250-ish books upstairs, and about thrice that number in the basement... And we're not even subscribed to RealLife Plus.

The same holds true for collectors, or charming old ladies who gather porcelain cups.
Obviously, the item limit is a show stopper for anyone who likes to surround themselves with many varieties of the same item. I can think of a few ways to balance that out:
  1. Exclude small items that someone might want to collect from the item limit completely. I am thinking of books, cooking/alchemy ingredients, tools, soulgems, Dwemer parts...
  2. Make only the first instance of a small item count towards the furniture limit - order them by appearance, not by itemID, to include books.
  3. Give us pre-filled shelves that count as one item (That is obviously the "lazy" and worst-case solution, as it takes care of my immediate problem, but will severely impact what you are trying to do with Housing - giving players the opportunity to decorate everything how they want it.)

I hope you consider my point.
Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
  • Endriu
    Endriu
    ✭✭
    I completely agree, with such a small item limit you can't make a vivid and cozy house. I wanted to make a nice kitchen and a nice fully served table, I can't beacuse of this bizzare item limit...
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Books, in particular, have been a common complaint since Homestead was on the PTS. Fill up one bookshelf, and whoops, you've spent 100 item slots, which is particularly atrocious on the large houses, which already have severely small item limits for their size. There are a few pre-filled bookshelves in-game (a Redguard one, and I know I saw some in the furnished version of Amaya Lake Lodge) that do at least create a library-like atmosphere without chewing through your item limit, but they're not usable the way the individual lorebooks are.

Overall, it's just kind of disappointing to anyone who was planning a library, study, or den with lots of books. :/
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 11, 2017 10:24AM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • PriorityBalle
    PriorityBalle
    ✭✭✭
    I love @manavortex

@ZOS please listen to your community :>

#IncreaseHouseItemLimit
    Pedin i phith in aníron, a nin ú-cheniathog

• manavortex
    manavortex
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm being publicly worshipped I have no choice but to second this.
    Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Small items in general take up too much space. I definitely think they should reconsider the item count and how it functions.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>