Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mag Sorc Vet Maelstrom

Aideian
Aideian
✭✭✭
I was wondering if anyone knows a good set to use to beat mael on vet, currently I use the lich and spinners but I don't know if thats good enough to beat it.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elegant + spinners, julianos + spinners, julianos + elegant. Any of those combinations work well with only slight differences between them. Depending on your cp rank/allocation you shouldn't need anymore than about 800-900 magicka regen, also assuming you're falling back on overload when out of magicka. The destro passive and arcane well cp passive combined with pots should be enough to keep your magicka topped off.
    PC | EU
  • Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much, and good thing I already have julianos I'll just swap lich with it and overload and eye of flame is what I already use.
  • Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    Should I use a monster set? I use inferno guardian
  • soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    Illambris in this patch is simply best. burns everyone. not sure for next patch though.
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't even switch gear anymore. Lich and spinners inpen. Lol. It's mainly about knowing the arena.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aideian wrote: »
    Should I use a monster set? I use inferno guardian

Not sure how you would fit a complete monster set in if you're also using 5 julianos and 5 spinners, but 1 piece would probs be necessary to fill the last spot. What you use would be up to you, I used to use 1x kena before I had a vma staff. Proc sets help while you're still unfamiliar with spawns, but once you're comfortable with the arena stuff should be dropping so quickly from your rotation that proc sets become a bit obsolete.

Personally I use 5x elegant, 5x spinners, a vma staff to fill the last space on my front bar and 2x torugs swords on my overload bar (2x willpower swords would probs be better). This isn't the most optimal setup I'm sure but it works well. You should make sure that if you're going to use elegant that you have the 5th piece active on your overload bar, but I think you intend to use julianos which will make your surge heals more reliable.

PC | EU
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Aideian

If you run elegant + julianos not only will you have the overload damage you'll also obtain the crit which is your "life line"

Running spinners will not net you crit and ultimately lead to a harder time in my own experience.

PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »
    @Aideian

If you run elegant + julianos not only will you have the overload damage you'll also obtain the crit which is your "life line"

Running spinners will not net you crit and ultimately lead to a harder time in my own experience.

What about spellweave and elegant? Or scathing and elegant?

And what about the ultimate nerf nxt update will that make people not run elegant?
    Edited by AtraisMachina on January 18, 2017 8:05AM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use a pet build in vma on my sorcerer :blush: 5 Necropotence, 3 Willpower and 2 Infernal Guardian. I was using an old staff I had laying around in the bank but was lucky enough to get a Maelstrom staff very quickly, so using that now with 2 swords of Torugs Pact. It may not be what everyone else uses in there, and it probably isn't the most optimal setup for crazy dps, but my sorcerer is built more for pvp than for pve anyway. I never run low on magicka, and thanks to having 54k max magicka, my damage isn't too bad either, and I am so survivable that I have even been doing a spot of spontaneous tanking in dungeons with my friends lately :lol:

The clanfear taunts most of the mini bosses for me, my infernal guardian helps with mechanics by killing annoying little things such as the webspinners in round 6, without me even having to touch them, and helping to destroy the crystals on the final round, even if I am not up top :lol:

This may not be what 'everyone else' is using, but I am not one to follow the masses. I play the game to have fun, and my little pet build is fun for me, and I am happy with it. I got flawless conqueror just a few runs after first completing it on my sorcerer, so for me, it works, and it works well :blush:

Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »
    @Aideian

What about spellweave and elegant? Or scathing and elegant?

And what about the ultimate nerf nxt update will that make people not run elegant?

There is no doubt that bsw is a very power and often considered BIS on a magicka sorc and magicka dk... and... well you get my point.

However, I feel STRONGLY FOR Julianos, Scathing mage as a mag sorc you need all the spell crit you can get even at 60-65% sometimes it's like ERRR MY GAWD HEAL!!!

You have to weigh the damage/crit/survive/defensive.

Let me explain, if you go bsw you have to "somewhat" be more careful as the healing you receive can become hit and miss at 60% 1-2 seconds is generally the difference between life or death.

For this reason, and this reason alone I want 2 pieces of crit on my gear at least to keep me alive without worrying too much about heals.

In a perfect world haha... elegant + spinners + overload is an amazing joke 5/5/2 kena you can see yourself hitting for 60-70k HOWEVER the crit is super low which in turn doesn't offer much in return during the period of non-crits.

These are my observations of running every day 4-5 runs a day lol for the last 12 months kinda thing. (give or take a day or 2)
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    SadieJoan wrote: »
    I use a pet build in vma on my sorcerer :blush: 5 Necropotence, 3 Willpower and 2 Infernal Guardian. I was using an old staff I had laying around in the bank but was lucky enough to get a Maelstrom staff very quickly, so using that now with 2 swords of Torugs Pact. It may not be what everyone else uses in there, and it probably isn't the most optimal setup for crazy dps, but my sorcerer is built more for pvp than for pve anyway. I never run low on magicka, and thanks to having 54k max magicka, my damage isn't too bad either, and I am so survivable that I have even been doing a spot of spontaneous tanking in dungeons with my friends lately :lol:

The clanfear taunts most of the mini bosses for me, my infernal guardian helps with mechanics by killing annoying little things such as the webspinners in round 6, without me even having to touch them, and helping to destroy the crystals on the final round, even if I am not up top :lol:

This may not be what 'everyone else' is using, but I am not one to follow the masses. I play the game to have fun, and my little pet build is fun for me, and I am happy with it. I got flawless conqueror just a few runs after first completing it on my sorcerer, so for me, it works, and it works well :blush:

What do you run on both of your bars? I'm curious because really no one uses pets so you got me interested Lol.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aideian wrote: »
    SadieJoan wrote: »

What do you run on both of your bars? I'm curious because really no one uses pets so you got me interested Lol.

Yeah, I have never seen anyone else doing it with a pet build either, but for me and the way I play, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way :lol: I have my clanfear and bound armour on both bars, then for my inferno staff I have frags, crushing shock and empowered ward with meteor ulti, and my dual swords I have curse, liquid lighting and surge with overload :smile:

• rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SadieJoan Does infernal guardian really kill the crystals? thats hilarious haha. Btw have you managed to get flawless with this build? i found pets to be extremelly helpful on vma, the only thing i use different than you is mines instead of curse, is basically a insta nuke on the crematorial on last round if you kite him on them
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @SadieJoan Does infernal guardian really kill the crystals? thats hilarious haha. Btw have you managed to get flawless with this build? i found pets to be extremelly helpful on vma, the only thing i use different than you is mines instead of curse, is basically a insta nuke on the crematorial on last round if you kite him on them

Yes, I got flawless really fast, the clanfear helped allot with that. I don't know why people complain about their survivability, the only time I have ever had to re-summon him is on round 8, he can survive the final bosses channelled attack, but not the mage adds with the fire heavy attacks... :lol:

And yes, infernal guardian does kill the crystals :lol:

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spinners is not a good choice for vMA. Light armor passives give almost 5K penetration. A sharpened weapon is a bit over 5K penetration. That's around 10K base penetration. The resistances in vMA vary from around 9K to 18K. Spinner will help with the 18K enemies. And will be completely wasted on the 9K ones.

Since you're trying to get a first clear, I would recommend something like this:

4p Crafted armor
    1p Crafted fire staff (sharp)
    1p Crafted sword (sharp)
    1p Elegant 1H weapon (ideally sharp)
    3p Elegant jewelry
    1p Elegant armor
    2p Ilambris or Infernal Guardian

The nice thing about this setup is that dropped weapons are the hardest to get, and here, you need just one.

As for what the crafted set should be, here are the three candidates:
    1. Julianos: best for DPS, but doesn't help with survival or sustain
    2. TBS: slightly lower DPS than Julianos in solo play, but the extra health and stamina are very much worth it, particularly for someone doing a first clear
    3. Kagrenac's Hope: Kag is a well-rounded DPS set--6% lower crit and 70 less SD compared to Julianos--but you gain extra health and magicka recovery, both of which are very useful for someone doing a first clear and worth the sacrifice in DPS

For a first clear, I'd recommend either TBS or Kag. You don't lose that much DPS compared to Julianos, but the extra health and either stamina or sustain will help a lot.
    Edited by code65536 on January 24, 2017 12:44PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch