The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Nightblade High Elf Staff Build. Elegant or Stygian?

bigmanebiggu
I am making a staff gank build for my magicka nightblade and wanted to know what set is better for ganking in pvp. My current 5 piece is the clever alchemist which gives me these stats:

(2 Items) Adds 1064 Maximum Health

(3 Items) Adds 1064 Maximum Health

(4 Items) Adds 129 Spell Damage / Weapon Damage

(5 Items) When you drink a potion you feel a rush of energy, gaining 653 Weapon and Spell Damage for 15 seconds.

And these are the 2 other sets that people are recommending me to go with

Elegant:

(2 items) Adds 126 Spell Damage

(3 items) Adds 945 Max Magicka

(4 items) Adds 945 Max Magicka

(5 items) Light and heavy attack damage increased by 20.0%.

Stygian:

(2 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage

(3 items) Adds 967 Max Stamina

(4 items) Adds 967 Max Magicka

(5 items) While you are Sneaking or invisible, your Spell Damage and Max Magicka is increased by 20%.

Any help is appreciated thanks very much. :)
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stygian.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am making a staff gank build for my magicka nightblade and wanted to know what set is better for ganking in pvp. My current 5 piece is the clever alchemist which gives me these stats:

(5 Items) When you drink a potion you feel a rush of energy, gaining 653 Weapon and Spell Damage for 15 seconds.

Elegant:

Stygian:

(5 items) While you are Sneaking or invisible, your Spell Damage and Max Magicka is increased by 20%.

Both Sets look good. I don't know if Heavy destro Attack benefits from 5x bonus from Stygian. (can any one confirm?)

I would probably go with elegant, if i am using destro staff... since i start my gank with potion + inner light + shadow Dis + Heavy Desto (bonus from Elegant) +Clench + Harvest+ Impale

I would go with Stygian, if i am using Dual wield... since i start my gank with potion + inner light + Harvest (bonus from Stygian) + Fear + 1 or 2 CP + Impale.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Elegant:

Stygian:

Both Sets look good. I don't know if Heavy destro Attack benefits from 5x bonus from Stygian. (can any one confirm?)

I would probably go with elegant, if i am using destro staff... since i start my gank with potion + inner light + shadow Dis + Heavy Desto (bonus from Elegant) +Clench + Harvest+ Impale

I would go with Stygian, if i am using Dual wield... since i start my gank with potion + inner light + Harvest (bonus from Stygian) + Fear + 1 or 2 CP + Impale.

Stygian increases the dmg of light and heavy attacks from stealth. Elegance is specially good for sorcs with lightning staff and overload.

edit: for a NB, Stygian + Master Assasin passive = 30% extra spell dmg from stealth.
    Edited by Xvorg on December 27, 2016 7:24PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Stygian increases the dmg of light and heavy attacks from stealth. Elegance is specially good for sorcs with lightning staff and overload.

In that case Stygian all the way. unless you can to Stygian + Elegant... if the Dmg would stack together.

THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stygian is bugged. Max Magicka only applies after weapon swap in stealth.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stygian is lost as soon as you break stealth, jewelry is robust, unused bonus etc etc
    I have tested both and only a clown or someone who never used it would recommend stygian
    (btw it takes seconds after you enter stealth to have the bonus again).

For your second set i would recommend alchemist.

I have hit some poor medium armor users for 25k in the heavy attack opener alone.
    Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
    *** kitty AD Stamblade
    Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
    agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
    Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
    Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
    Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elegant over Stygian
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    stygian doesnt work properly. its also a medium set. Dont bother with it
  • bigmanebiggu
    lynog85 wrote: »

what do you mean "it doesn't work properly"? How does it not?
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated already in the thread, Max magicka bonus only applies once you've weapon swapped.
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated already in the thread, Max magicka bonus only applies once you've weapon swapped.

Pretty much this. If I had a choice, I'd roll Elegant over Stygian. Stealth also isn't always reliable. Supposedly in Update 13 it will be, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • bigmanebiggu

That is not correct I am literally sat here right now with my main bar on without swapping and the spell dam and max magicka goes up.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Go both!
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence beats both

Alchemist + Necro would be the way to go
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Staff heavy attacks take you out of stealth, stygian is 100% useless
  • bigmanebiggu
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Staff heavy attacks take you out of stealth, stygian is 100% useless

You just pop shadowy disguise again and you do not lose buff either.
  • bigmanebiggu
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Necropotence beats both

I hear a load of people saying this, why is it so much better?
  • bigmanebiggu
    +have you even tested it or just following what other people have said?
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence beats both

Necropotence for a gank build? You might aswell whisper your target warning him about the gank or running to them and light attacking just to make them aware of your presence lol.
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence beats both

Necropotence for a gank build? You might aswell whisper your target warning him about the gank or running to them and light attacking just to make them aware of your presence lol.

Obviously, you're not going to use the shade and proc the 5pc bonus. But you are going to want to stack as much Magicka as you can (first 3 bonuses).
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • bigmanebiggu
    Necropotence beats both

Obviously, you're not going to use the shade and proc the 5pc bonus. But you are going to want to stack as much Magicka as you can (first 3 bonuses).

you get more magicka with stygian. 20% more max mag and spell damage

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Stygian+Set
    Edited by bigmanebiggu on December 30, 2016 1:13AM
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah op, go with stygian, make it golden too, its a good investment :wink:
    Edited by alephthiago on December 30, 2016 1:27AM
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• PrinceRyzen
    PrinceRyzen
    ✭✭✭
    Necropotence beats both

Aside from not being able to cast shadow without alerting the target, how does Necropotence perform damage wise, when heavy attack ganking?

In general I'm curious to know what combinations you've been able to test and what has worked best. (I haven't the gold to test much myself)

Lastly, has anyone tried ganking in heavy armor? I'm wondering if Clever alchemist in heavy could be pulled off.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence beats both

you get more magicka with stygian. 20% more max mag and spell damage

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Stygian+Set

Only while stealthed, as soon as you use your first attack your bonuses have gone, and it's a medium set it's just not worth it, you need the penetration and spell crit from light Armor passives.

What if the enemy uses magelight or detection pots so you can't stealth? Your 5pc bonus is deemed completely useless. The bonuses don't always apply the second you go into stealth too, it's unreliable and a complete trash set. I tried it myself because I though it would have potential, I was wrong and wasted my time farming it.

Alchemist and elegant is the best for destro ganking, necropotence is good but sometimes the shades blow your cover.
    Edited by psychotic13 on December 30, 2016 10:00AM
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vicious Death. That one plus Clever Alchemist will make you zerg train conducter.
  • bigmanebiggu
    After this i've decided to use my current bow gank cancer build for the highest efficient ganking :) Morag Tong, Marksman and Velidreth, can 2 shot heavy armour builds with 32k ish. I may however replace stygian with elegance and try something new. Viciousw death has always occured to me as a nightblade as all you need is that one quick kill and boom.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't use the shade, better wear destruction mastery than necropotence. There are arcane Stygian rings though, but only blue quality. The set is utter rubbish. Bonus should last 2 secs after breaking stealth.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    After this i've decided to use my current bow gank cancer build for the highest efficient ganking :) Morag Tong, Marksman and Velidreth, can 2 shot heavy armour builds with 32k ish. I may however replace stygian with elegance and try something new. Viciousw death has always occured to me as a nightblade as all you need is that one quick kill and boom.

I haven't used my vamp High Elf NB in a while, but with 400cp I was able to "one shot" (561cp) players up to 26k health (depending on armor/impen set up etc.) running purple alchmemist/elegance and one piece kena.

Potion>Inner light>heavy flame destro cancelled with a veiled strike... insta gib

Didn't even need impale or soul harvest for the average kill.

I'd probably recommend swallow soul + impale instead of veiled so you can keep your distance and also benefit from the +8% max Magicka buff from siphoning skill tree.

I'm thinking of bringing him back when update 13 hits and benefit from the single target flame staff buff. I'll be at CP cap by then, and I'll also have money to make my amor gold too :D
    Edited by Volrion on January 5, 2017 10:20AM
  • PrinceRyzen
    PrinceRyzen
    ✭✭✭

I haven't used my vamp High Elf NB in a while, but with 400cp I was able to "one shot" (561cp) players up to 26k health (depending on armor/impen set up etc.) running purple alchmemist/elegance and one piece kena.

Potion>Inner light>heavy flame destro cancelled with a veiled strike... insta gib

Didn't even need impale or soul harvest for the average kill.

I'd probably recommend swallow soul + impale instead of veiled so you can keep your distance and also benefit from the +8% max Magicka buff from siphoning skill tree.

I'm thinking of bringing him back when update 13 hits and benefit from the single target flame staff buff. I'll be at CP cap by then, and I'll also have money to make my amor gold too :D

I like the damage buff but I'm a bit worried about them removing the charge speed reduction.

If the patch notes hold true, heavy attacks will be 10% slower. It was already a challenge getting the heavy attack to benefit from shadowy disguise if at all.