Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Please help me about gear

Castagere
Castagere
✭✭✭✭✭
Are full sets still the way to go? I just hit level 50 plus 30 champion points. Having a blast questing and exploring and now i have a bunch of level 50 /20 champ point gear in my inventory. But what i'm wearing is level 40 hunding and silent night 4/3 in that order. I have some great stats but the gear in my inventory has better stats just not the set stats if you know what i mean. Please help as i don't know what i should do. Its been awhile since i played my class is a stamina Templar with 2hd sword and a bow. I even got a two hd sword and a bow thats 50/20 champ.points.
Edited by Castagere on December 10, 2016 4:45AM
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Something like hundings you'll want to have all 5 pieces. Then the rest can be night silence or night mothers gaze, etc.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    Something like hundings you'll want to have all 5 pieces. Then the rest can be night silence or night mothers gaze, etc.

Thanks but your reply doesn't really answer my question about gear.
    Edited by Castagere on December 10, 2016 2:29PM
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gear i have is level 40 blue 4/3 heavy Hunding and medium silent night in that order. My level now is 50 plus 30 champion points. With Tameriel one now i'm getting drops for green gear with better stats. should i switch to this gear now? Or doe it matter? Does my blue gear level scale also with me?
    Edited by Castagere on December 10, 2016 2:28PM
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    The gear i have is level 40 blue 4/3 heavy Hunding and medium silent night in that order. My level now is 50 plus 30 champion points. With Tameriel one now i'm getting drops for green gear with better stats. should i switch to this gear now? Or doe it matter? Does my blue gear level scale also with me?

It does not scale with you.
    Edited by Bandit1215 on December 10, 2016 5:23PM
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear does not scale. Generally the set bonuses of a full set are to be preferred over higher level set-less gear, except if the level difference is really huge.

I'd suggest keeping your level 40 set gear until you reach CP90. With Enlightenment, that usually goes very fast. At CP90 a tier of crafting material starts. You can then re-craft your previous sets, make it purple, and keep it until you reach CP160.

At CP160 you can re-visit your set choices, and start farming a dropped set if you find one to your liking.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Delimber
    Delimber
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the over land gear is better than the crafted gear these days.

And the stuff in the group dungeons is very nice too.

Hundings is still a solid set but there are sets out there now that might work just as well or better for a 2H build. I think its Alik'r desert that drops gear that adds over 350 weapon damage to your 2H abilities with a 5 piece set.

As you explore the different zones your going to find there are a ton of different setups you'll want to try.
    Edited by Delimber on December 12, 2016 1:44PM
    Solo PvP and PvE most of the time.
    CP 2300+
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    here is a site that lists all the sets in the game

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

if you are on PC here is an addon that opens an in-game searchable listing of all sets

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1480-ItemizationBrowserOneTamriel.html
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx for your help guys.
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    As everyone else has said, gear will not scale with you. If you are on NA/PC send me a mail. If you have mats I can help you out crafting a new suit.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @castagere I'm not sure you got exactly the help you were looking for. So I'll try to give some broader gear tips.

1. max level gear right now is C160. That sounds like a long way from where you are, but the way the champion system works it's really not. (Rough nerd math...you're going to need about 15 million xp to get to c160. If you use your enlightenment, you'll get there in a month. If you grind and play past your enlightenment, as measured on your character sheet, it will be faster.)

The reason this is important is that C160 gear is where you can start spending more resources. You don't really want to waste gold and purple mats on gear you're going to keep a few weeks...so c160 is where specs become really important, and when you can start investing in sets you might wear for months/years. For now, you don't need to be too obsessive about stats.

2. How gear stats work: I think this is your primary concern. To keep it simple, how strong a piece of gear is is determined first by the gear's level, and then it's boosted by color. This affects armor rating and a weapon' system damage. So, if a white c10 sword has damage of 100, upgrading it to green will make it 110, 120 for blue, 130 for purple and 145 for gold. A c20 sword is stronger, let's say it follows this damage by color in the same order: 110, 120, 130, 140, 155. There is some overlap. In this example, a purple c10 sword is still stronger than a white or green c20.

Your character's level or skills in a weapon line will NOT affect a piece of gears strength or armor. Your gear only gets stronger by upgrading its color, or getting a new, higher-level piece. Also, whether the gear is a set or not does NOT affect these. A green c160 jack has the same armor whether it's Hundings Rage, a very rare drop set, or a junk non-set piece.

3. Gear buffs: you're asking about set pieces, so let's break down the various buffs that a gear piece can provide.

A. Trait. This is made permanent when the piece is generated and cannot be changed. It's listed on the gear piece tool tip, and offers a character buff...for example, a Divines piece increases the power of the Mundas stone you're under. The buff is consistent regardless of gear level - a white divines piece increases your Mundas stone by 3.5% regardless if it's C10 or C160. This buff CAN be made more powerful by improving the items color. Upgrading the piece to green will increase the divines buff to 4.5%, blue to 5.5%, and so on. For the most part, you want divines on your gear given your class. Infused is okay for head, chest and legs.

B. Enchantment. Each piece of gear has an enchantment, which can be changed by finding/making an appropriate glyph and writing over the old enchantment. Glyphs also have color quality, so how powerful the enchantment is will be determined by this. If you have a c160 chest, a white enchantment might "increase max magic by 700. A green makes this 715, blue makes this 730, purple 740, etc. As a general rule, drop sets around the world come with enchantments that upgrade automatically if you improve the item. Items you craft do not, and you need to put your own enchant on it and upgrade it manually. As a stam Templar, you mostly want stamina enchants on your armor (possibly a few health), weapon damage or stam recovery on jewelry, and pick-your-poison for weapons.

C. Set piece accumulated buffs. Sets offer a list of sequential buffs the more pieces you wear. Sets are VERY VERY POWERFUL. You have 11-12 slots on a character (7 armor, 3 jewelry, 1-2 weapons). Most sets come in five pieces. there are also a few three piece sets in the game, the most popular being the agility/willpower/endurance jewelry sets. And monster helm sets come in two pieces.

An appropriately geared c160+ character will absolutely maximize their set configuration. For my stamina Templar, if I equipped bow and 2h, I would wear two five piece sets and a single monster shoulder/helm. What does this give me? I get six big buffs from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th piece from the two sets. I get two MAJOR buffs from the fifth pieces. And I wear the monster shoulder because monster sets are the rare sets that offer a buff for the first piece worn. But to wear two full sets, you're always going to have to choose at least one drop set that comes in jewelry. I like to wear one drop and one crafted, so I can make the weapons I want and can make pieces I'm missing to reduce grinding. My stamplar is in Hundings and Briarhearts right now.

So...hopefully this helps explain the basics. As to what you should be wearing now, your set choices are ok. Hundings is one of the most powerful stamina sets out there. And night silence is good. It would be tough to do a max configuration because you need jewelry to complete a second set, and it's hard to find set jewelry under c160 in guild stores.

For now, blue quality is okay. I mean...go purple if you want, the cost is only like 2500 per piece for the purple upgrades, but you're only going to wear the armor for a month, so...

My recommendation would be to hit c50, then make a Hundings Rage blue set you're going to wear until c160. Mats are cheap...when you have someone make this or you, make your weapons and a full set of armor. Then you can mix and match regardless what other sets you wear. (Make sure to level both heavy and medium armor to 50). ALWAYS wear your Hundings fifth piece over another option...your current config gives up 250+ weapon damage for a lesser buff with night silence.

Fill Hundings in with a second set. If you're lazy, wear 3 pieces of night silence and the best jewelry you can find. If you're ambitious and having fun with gear, look up the sets and zones they drop in, then grind dolmens in that zone for three pieces of jewelry and two armor. For example, Sanches Bite is a stam set and drops in Reapers March. If you circle the dolmens for a while, you'll get the jewelry to make the set. But honestly, the lazy option is pretty good, and not a huge step down.

Note: I actually like the Bahara's curse set to supplement Hundings for someone out working up champion points. You get pieces by doing thieves guild main quests, dailies, or in hews bane delves. If you have the dlc, this might be a decent second set since you'd also be working for some skill points, thieves guild skill line, etc.

When you hit 160, that's when you can get more serious. At that point, definitely start running undaunted dailies for monster shoulders/helms. Guild stores will have like a thousand more options, and you will be able to easily complete two sets on your character. And you can worry about making your stuff purple and gold.