Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Returning player seeking help with my Templar :)

WelshySnow
Hello everyone,

So I returning after 18 months fro the game... there is just so much that has changed... I cant wait to get back into it :)

My main character is a level 40 Wood Elf Templar.... I am looking for someone to help me get back on my feet. I remember the basics of the game but its things like, help with build both heals and DPS... gear to use ect.. :)

If anyone is up for helping me, id greatly appreciate it :)

See you in game

Enno Rebirth @Welshymelon
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'll try and keep this a little more general for you, rather then telling you exactly what skills to choose, as that's a very personal thing. If you'd like to deal damage as well as heal, you'll want to focus on skills that use magicka. The damage and healing you do with any particular skill then will be based off your total magicka, your spell damage, your critical damage and your critical chance. Spell penetration is another attribute that affects how much damage you do, but does not affect healing done.

I'd suggest wearing light armour, at least five pieces. You can supplement these with heavy, or a heavy and medium piece, if you feel you're taking too much damage and having trouble surviving. The trick is having a look through all the armour passive skills and seeing what you would like best for yourself. Don't forget the Undaunted skill line, in your Guild section too. There is an 'Undaunted Mettle' passive which can be nice also. Some like that, some don't.

Worth noting: our rune (5th skill in the Restoring Light line), is great and provides us major ward and major protection (increasing physical & spell resistance) for added defense. Now similarly so you can also use a Defending traited staff or weapons to give you another significant boost to defense if needed.

Basically speaking; for either healing or dealing damage try and get your health to around 20,000 in the beginning. Then work on improving the factors (listed above) that go into improving your magicka skills. to begin with that's mainly magicka stores (~ 35,000 magicka+), spell damage (2,000+), and spell critical chance (~50%+). Any light armour sets that improve those basic attributes will work fine for healing/dealing damage too. For dealing damage you can also use Sharpened traited weapon/s to improve your spell penetration if you'd like. Typically normal enemies have around 9,000 resistance, whilst bosses around 18,000.

Spell critical damage with the Shadow Mundus is handy for dealing damage, but not as much for healing: When healing you want to focus a little bit more on reliability. To that end be sure you have enough magicka regeneration too. Just how much you want varies, but personally I have around 1,300 and find that is a good level for myself. Perhaps aim for 1,500 to begin with so you have a little buffer. You really don't want to run out of magicka, ever, when healing. See what works for you. Remember a completed heavy attack with a staff will restore 10% of your total magicka.

In terms of skills; for healing you can't go wrong using a combination of Templar Restoring Light skills and Restoration Staff skills. For dealing damage, there are a lot of different options, and really it's up to you, but the most common ones are using a destruction staff, or two swords. Now two swords are only used for the Duel Wield passive 'Twin Blade and Blunt' you don't actually use any of weapon skills. skills are usually a combinatin of guild, class and weapon (when using destruction staff).

Finally, for magicka; have a look at your Mages Guild skills, both active and passive. Get to know them; there are some very handy skills there to invest in.

I hope this helps you somewhat, without explaining everything for you: For it's fun I think to work things out for yourself too.

If you can be anything, be kind.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a magic templar healer with enough dps to run solo pve quite handily. I’m still learning about this wonderful class and the world of healing but very much enjoy it. Not saying my set up is the best by any means but it doesn’t have to be – the magplar is a very forgiving character. For example, she is a Bosmer for roleplay reasons even though she will always suffer a slight magicka penalty vs Altmer/Breton.

She’s CP106 now so running Seducersx5, Torugsx3 and Sun (dropped) jewelryx3 farmed from Stonefalls dolmans. At CP160, I'm hoping to go to Seducerx5 and Histx5. I'm hoping the Hist set will help when a disabling effect gets past her block/bash/dodge-rolling. The only time she dies is when she gets disabled and can't heal and the Hist has some help for that.

Here’s a brief rundown on her bars:

Bar 1 (Destro staff)
    Purify – helps her and groups at any range and heals those nearby the target.
    Radiant Glory – self healing execute.
    Blazing Spear – love the utility of using at range or right on top of her head. Stam synergy for allies.
    Reflective Light – Nice slow and DoT for up to 3 targets.
    Puncturing Sweep – Primary fight/self heal up close – magnificent skill.
    Ult: Solar Disturbance – not a bad ability. Waiting to get the Destr staff ult to see how good it is.

Bar 2. (Resto staff)
    Mutagens – Nice health over time for me and allies at any range.
    Extended Ritual – Nice health over time for me and nearby allies and very handy to cleanse DoT effects.
    Breath of Life – Strong fast healing.
    Healing Springs – Targeted healing for multiple allies.
    Repentance – Costs nothing, gives life and stam from nearby corpses to me and nearby allies.
    Ult: Solar Disturbance – not bad, simply not sure of a better ult for here.

I also like the following abilities but simply can’t justify pulling out one of the ones I have to make room:
    - Channeled Focus – Defense and magic for self but no direct help for party.
    - Elemental Drain – Debuff target vs magic and gives those who use elemental attacks back some magic but no help for those using melee / magic damage attacks.
    - Siphon Spirit – magic and health to all who attack the ‘cursed’ target, but slow cast time.
    - Wall of Elements (either morph) – high damage but I find foes move in and out of it too much for it to deliver its full potential.

I certainly don’t consider this build to be very sophisticated or meta by any means but it seems to be working very well for solo pve and rendering some pretty robust support to allies. I perceive its biggest weakness to be that it doesn’t really assist magic users with resource management. It does deliver solid dps, healing and stamina help though – all while leaving the character very capable of fighting solo.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on December 12, 2016 4:12AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Which server/platform are you on? We have a fair few templars in our guild eu/pc that could probably help you out if thats where you are :smile:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a magic templar healer with enough dps to run solo pve quite handily. I’m still learning about this wonderful class and the world of healing but very much enjoy it. Not saying my set up is the best by any means but it doesn’t have to be – the magplar is a very forgiving character. For example, she is a Bosmer for roleplay reasons even though she will always suffer a slight magicka penalty vs Altmer/Breton.

She’s CP106 now so running Seducersx5, Torugsx3 and Sun (dropped) jewelryx3 farmed from Stonefalls dolmans. At CP160, I'm hoping to go to Seducerx5 and Histx5. I'm hoping the Hist set will help when a disabling effect gets past her block/bash/dodge-rolling. The only time she dies is when she gets disabled and can't heal and the Hist has some help for that.

Here’s a brief rundown on her bars:

Bar 1 (Destro staff)
    Purify – helps her and groups at any range and heals those nearby the target.
    Radiant Glory – self healing execute.
    Blazing Spear – love the utility of using at range or right on top of her head. Stam synergy for allies.
    Reflective Light – Nice slow and DoT for up to 3 targets.
    Puncturing Sweep – Primary fight/self heal up close – magnificent skill.
    Ult: Solar Disturbance – not a bad ability. Waiting to get the Destr staff ult to see how good it is.

Bar 2. (Resto staff)
    Mutagens – Nice health over time for me and allies at any range.
    Extended Ritual – Nice health over time for me and nearby allies and very handy to cleanse DoT effects.
    Breath of Life – Strong fast healing.
    Healing Springs – Targeted healing for multiple allies.
    Repentance – Costs nothing, gives life and stam from nearby corpses to me and nearby allies.
    Ult: Solar Disturbance – not bad, simply not sure of a better ult for here.

I also like the following abilities but simply can’t justify pulling out one of the ones I have to make room:
    - Channeled Focus – Defense and magic for self but no direct help for party.
    - Elemental Drain – Debuff target vs magic and gives those who use elemental attacks back some magic but no help for those using melee / magic damage attacks.
    - Siphon Spirit – magic and health to all who attack the ‘cursed’ target, but slow cast time.
    - Wall of Elements (either morph) – high damage but I find foes move in and out of it too much for it to deliver its full potential.

I certainly don’t consider this build to be very sophisticated or meta by any means but it seems to be working very well for solo pve and rendering some pretty robust support to allies. I perceive its biggest weakness to be that it doesn’t really assist magic users with resource management. It does deliver solid dps, healing and stamina help though – all while leaving the character very capable of fighting solo.

To help with resource management for magicka-based classes (and your own), there are two spells that can be quite handy: The destruction staff Elemental Drain, and the restoration staff Siphon Spirit.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • WelshySnow
    Wow so many wonderful replies to this.. thank you all for the help :) There is so much information I may have to read these twice it seems.

I do love this game for its ability to build your own, very personal classes with your weapons of choice and gear alike, its so nice ;D Of course you do want to make sure you are using your character effectively.. especially when taking on dungeons and trials (never actually done a trial.. cant wait to try one out :D ) So this has helped me in more way than one.

@SadieJoan I play on a PC and on an EU server so yes, I would be more than happy to join up with your guild :disappointed:

but honestly thank you all very much for taking the time to read and help me. I will post again here if I have further questions ect :)