The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Race for Stam DK Tank

Cazic
Cazic
✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for your suggestions here. I'm torn between Redguard, Nord and Imperial. Leaning toward Redguard.

I'm mainly looking to tank in group PvE. Secondary role would be DPS.

Thanks!
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord is the best, Imperial would be a close second

The Redguard Stam Regen isn't really useful since you don't regen Stam while Blocking, better to mitigate some damage (Nord), or heal up a tiny bit (Imperial)
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial. More resources is better. Nord would be second I guess, but the damage mitigation is for some unknown reason seen as a "great tanking passive", but in reality it is kind of a joke.

Imperial, Nord, Orc
  • Zerok
    Zerok
    ✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Imperial.
    Zeerok (the sneaky ruffian) - LV50 Bosmer stamblade DPS (AD)
    Gontrand de Bourbon (the greedy aristocrat) - LV50 Breton magsorc tank (DC)
    Augustus Aquilarios (the imperial claimant) - LV50 Imperial stamDK PvP (EP)
    Zeerokk (the AD zealot) - LV50 Altmer magblade PvP (AD)
    Lianna Storm (the inferno maiden) - LV50 Dunmer magDK DPS (EP)
    Fights-With-Khajiit (the gullible faithful) - LV5 Argonian templar (EP)
    Miner'va (the skooma addict) - LV3 Khajiit sorcerer (AD) - chaotic neutral
    Siggy Thorvaldsson (the charismatic baroness) - LV50 Nord stamwarden tank (DC)
  • QUEZ420
    QUEZ420
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tank on a Imperial Stam Dk, only 4 man content like pledges n randoms but it works wonders.
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial is best, resource pools are everything for a Tank. Redguard is a good option if you want to VMA and PVP often as well. I'd mention that you can Tank with a Khajiit, but they are also the best DPS race right now.
  • MProsk
    MProsk
    ✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Nord is the best, Imperial would be a close second

The Redguard Stam Regen isn't really useful since you don't regen Stam while Blocking, better to mitigate some damage (Nord), or heal up a tiny bit (Imperial)

Totally agree
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nord. Master race.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! Sounds like imperial is the way to go.

I would like to PvP a bit on the side which is why I thought Redguard. But higher resource pools are good no matter what you're doing, and tanks are only so good at PvP anyway.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer B)

Nah , joking , go Imperial . Nord's mitigation passive is not as good as it sounds .
  • Jaavaa
    Jaavaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go with a Argonian. Believe me, it works great.
    Edited by Jaavaa on November 28, 2016 7:32PM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian is actually an underrated tanking race. You don't need 40k stamina for tanking, but the max magicka bonus helps cast igneous shield, igneous weapons, talons, volatile, chains, etc. The potion passive turns all trash stam pots into tri pots. Max health and additional healing received. All bonuses are useful for tanks.

Plus...you get that OP dinosaur tail. :sunglasses:
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on November 28, 2016 8:13PM
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Argonians, but that's because lizards are cool, yo.
    Also, the self-heal and off-heal potential with an Argonian DK tank is overwhelming. All them healing buffs will keep you alive, and the Igneous Shield + Vigor combo is really great.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not everyone has access to Imperial. My two Stam DK tanks are Nord and Orc and I am happy with them both.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Julianos
    Julianos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial was best but the latests changes on racials nord is the best by far
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm imperial but looking at it i'd prob say Nord, its quite close but I think Nord edges it.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    Imperial. More resources is better. Nord would be second I guess, but the damage mitigation is for some unknown reason seen as a "great tanking passive", but in reality it is kind of a joke.

Imperial, Nord, Orc

@Woeler

I am curious where you put Argonian on the list. I am about to roll my last two toons and I want a pure tank and pure Healer (i have a stam and magic of each alread). I really want an Argonian. Some would say make it the healer, but I am tempted to make it the tank, mostly because I want a fire breathing lizard.

Also, we all know that Khajiit is the master race for tanking endgame. :wink:
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My list is Imperial, Nord, Dunmer, Argonian

@Oreyn_Bearclaw

Argonians Max health, healing received and done with some extra resistance and resources with potions makes them good Tanks and Healers.
    Edited by paulsimonps on November 28, 2016 10:52PM
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »

Imperial, Nord, Orc

@Woeler

I am curious where you put Argonian on the list. I am about to roll my last two toons and I want a pure tank and pure Healer (i have a stam and magic of each alread). I really want an Argonian. Some would say make it the healer, but I am tempted to make it the tank, mostly because I want a fire breathing lizard.

Also, we all know that Khajiit is the master race for tanking endgame. :wink:

Definitely not a bad choice, and to be honest, tanking can be done with any race. As said, my race has the worst tanking passives ever and see where I am. If you want an argonian, just do it. They can make fine tanks.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: I went with Redguard.

This was a race change from Dunmer, and I have no regrets. Stam regen is awesome with a Redguard, which is really what I was missing before.

Adrenaline rush paired with 5pc Black Rose is great :)
    Edited by Cazic on December 2, 2016 2:53AM
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    This explains of nord stam being the best. https://youtu.be/vemr8LNY2y8
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cazic wrote: »
    Looking for your suggestions here. I'm torn between Redguard, Nord and Imperial. Leaning toward Redguard.

I'm mainly looking to tank in group PvE. Secondary role would be DPS.

Thanks!

Nord is great for health regen cause healers don't need to heal u much. Same as imperial but their health on melee in PVP just lacks not even that good in most cases. Redguard mostly for PVP PvE sure but they don't get much health unless u block most the time with it which it's boring and doesn't help anyone.
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I love my Khajiit DK tank.... but I wouldn't recommend it to someone. In my opinion: Main Tank, Imperial; Off-Tank: Argonian.
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Health never seems to be an issue for me which is why I went with the stam focused Redguard. I like to PvP as well with a slightly modified gear/skill setup.

I'm sure the health as Nord is great though, no doubt. I do run Igneous Shield, Vigor, and Green Dragons blood which makes up for some of that. Maybe in the future I'll roll a Nord (or Orc) for a high health regen build, but I'm happy with Redgard right now.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial despite op nords 6 damage mitigation is really only 3 percent. The 12 percent health will allow you to pack on the total stam.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think nord might work with a Templar tank better due to the rune damage reduction of over 10 percent with the racial.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cazic wrote: »
    Health never seems to be an issue for me which is why I went with the stam focused Redguard. I like to PvP as well with a slightly modified gear/skill setup.

I'm sure the health as Nord is great though, no doubt. I do run Igneous Shield, Vigor, and Green Dragons blood which makes up for some of that. Maybe in the future I'll roll a Nord (or Orc) for a high health regen build, but I'm happy with Redgard right now.

https://youtu.be/vemr8LNY2y8

Take this for an example on that build.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rocking Cagit on my dk tank, because race choices for a tank are like sprinkles on a cake, i.e. they don't really do much for the flavour.

If there ever was a place to min/max'ing race choice, tank is not it. The role relies a lot more on the ability to maintain your taunts and not die (which is not race dependent, but rather player dependent), and while some races do benefit you somewhat in various aspects concerning this, it is not enough to say any of them are "the best race" for the role. So you may as well pick whichever one you like the look of the most.

I like my khajiit for his tail, gives me something to look at while I slowly destroy my hand holding down the block button.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have Nord as stam DK tank, and I like it a lot.

If I had some 26 more char slots I would probably roll one Imperial too.

Saxhleel tank might be interesting to try, that bonus healing received and made might come in handy.

About Redguard - I find his passives not that great for a tank.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah Argonian is the best, resources back on potions. More healing done and received. Alot of health. They are the best all around for tanking. Nord passive seems neat but armor doesn't matter that much, the meta is all about resource management and grouo buffing.
  • sickboy2808
    sickboy2808
    ✭✭✭
    Im gonna finally roll a new Tank and will be going Imperial all the way. Just need to upgrade my account for 2100 crowns and lose my job so i have time to do it
    ZOS takes cheating very Lightly. You have been warned, and any cheaters found out will get the Least punishment possible...