Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any one else thinks that mage blades need a buff?

CavalryPK
CavalryPK
✭✭✭✭✭
There are days that when dueling I feel like I am a god. In each duel I have complete control over the fight and the execution of my combos are close to perfection. After each win I have that grinny smile on my face like "heck yeah b***h". Mnb don't need to be buffed.

Then there are days when I get my as handed to myself over and over again. I can't do my combos I have to stay on my resto bar to stay alive. I panic and cast skills unnecessarily and waist magicka. I have that expression on my face "bleep bleep." Mnb may need to be buffed.

The I go do research and ask some of the vet mage blades pvpers for advice . Adjust the build and I am doing better again. Mnb may not need to be buffed.

It's a vicious circles. Hehe
THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK

Best Answer

• Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I think about mblades:

- Shadow image to be cast without target.
    - Concealed weapon to be decent. Funnel health > concealed.
    - Slightly buff Light Armor without overbuff in PvE

UPD: rework Agony :(
    Edited by Ashamray on November 25, 2016 8:32PM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
    Answer ✓
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mageblades are a complicated class to play with a lot of micro management. All the top players I know converted to stam. It's not worth the effort when you can be a stam and hit harder and dodge roll at will with less work. Right now I feel mageblade = pve and stam = Pvp.

Mageblades are a great support class with aoes and heals but in today's meta we just don't do comparable burst to be competative with sorcs, Mage dks, and of course all the stam classes. Some will argue that grim focus is all the burst we need but it is a painfully non fun skill to manage and there is no guarantee it will Ht since it is considered a projectile.

We all know the issues with cloak and now proc sets (infernal Gardena) are pulling us out. There are so many counters to cloak it's just agonizing. The devs don't seem to care. Their philosophy is, well if your being chased down by a Zerg your just going to die anyways, deal with it.

Stealth is wonky because if you engage an enemy and then decide to retreat your stuck in stealth detected mode until you leave combat, which can take upwards to a minute. Which means you have to spam cloak behind a rock for a minute when your not a threat to anyone.

Because of lack of stamina we can't dodge roll so we are forced into being a vamp for mist form. Therefore, we get chewed up by Fire magedks who lock us in place with talons, petrify, and spam lava whip/lash.

I don't know if any of the devs main a magicka NB but it's falling off the radar. Someone should start a thread titled " document to the devs your concerns about magicka NB" it worked for magedks and now wrobel is going to buff them next patch.

@ZOS_RichLambert I'm Curious what is the break down of number of classes played in Cyrodil? Where do Mage NB fall within the spectrum? Since I play at fairly popular hours and I hardly see any Mage NB we are probably a member of of least class played.

Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    Mageblades are a complicated class to play with a lot of micro management. All the top players I know converted to stam. It's not worth the effort when you can be a stam and hit harder and dodge roll at will with less work. Right now I feel mageblade = pve and stam = Pvp.

Mageblades are a great support class with aoes and heals but in today's meta we just don't do comparable burst to be competative with sorcs, Mage dks, and of course all the stam classes. Some will argue that grim focus is all the burst we need but it is a painfully non fun skill to manage and there is no guarantee it will Ht since it is considered a projectile.

We all know the issues with cloak and now proc sets (infernal Gardena) are pulling us out. There are so many counters to cloak it's just agonizing. The devs don't seem to care. Their philosophy is, well if your being chased down by a Zerg your just going to die anyways, deal with it.

Stealth is wonky because if you engage an enemy and then decide to retreat your stuck in stealth detected mode until you leave combat, which can take upwards to a minute. Which means you have to spam cloak behind a rock for a minute when your not a threat to anyone.

Because of lack of stamina we can't dodge roll so we are forced into being a vamp for mist form. Therefore, we get chewed up by Fire magedks who lock us in place with talons, petrify, and spam lava whip/lash.

I don't know if any of the devs main a magicka NB but it's falling off the radar. Someone should start a thread titled " document to the devs your concerns about magicka NB" it worked for magedks and now wrobel is going to buff them next patch.

@ZOS_RichLambert I'm Curious what is the break down of number of classes played in Cyrodil? Where do Mage NB fall within the spectrum? Since I play at fairly popular hours and I hardly see any Mage NB we are probably a member of of least class played.

Magicka NBs are the worst magicka class in PvE DPS. Stamina NBs on the other hand are equal to stam sorcs (if not better). So it is safe to say that Stamina NB > Magicka NB in everything but duels.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magicka NBs are the worst magicka class in PvE DPS. Stamina NBs on the other hand are equal to stam sorcs (if not better). So it is safe to say that Stamina NB > Magicka NB in everything but duels.

Yes, I agree, magicka NB have bad dps in pve but they are a very well rounded class in pve. They can heal, dps, aoe, and tank. I can run vdsa without a healer. All I need is 3 dps and 1 tank. You know why? Because I can heal well enough for the group without losing dps and I can off tank haithe with no issues. But yeah I hear what your saying. In trials, mageblade dps is awful.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are very wrong about stamina NB being equal to stamsorc in PvE DPS. Stamina NBs get max single target damage around 2-3k lesser than sorcs and as for AoE, no where close to sorcs.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mageblade for Pvp has probably the highest skill cap of any build. If you're able to outplay your opponent you can compete. The problems is, the skill floor is also extremely high, you have to pretty solid to get anything done at all.

Mageblade is just really unforgiving, people don't realize that because "lol, perma cloak" but good players will wreck you if you make mistakes against them as a mageblade
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Mageblade for Pvp has probably the highest skill cap of any build. If you're able to outplay your opponent you can compete. The problems is, the skill floor is also extremely high, you have to pretty solid to get anything done at all.

Mageblade is just really unforgiving, people don't realize that because "lol, perma cloak" but good players will wreck you if you make mistakes against them as a mageblade

this is the problem. One has to work harder to achieve the same objective. What's the point of having a class if only 1% can use it effectively? Or 1% only play it because the skill cap is to high. That's why I asked mr. Lambert to release the numbers so that we can confirm your statement. I think mageblades are the ugly headed step child not Magedks.
    Edited by LegacyDM on November 25, 2016 9:29PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

this is the problem. One has to work harder to achieve the same objective. What's the point of having a class if only 1% can use it effectively? Or 1% only play it because the skill cap is to high. That's why I asked mr. Lambert to release the numbers so that we can confirm your statement. I think mageblades are the ugly headed step child not Magedks.

Nah, solo open world Pvp mageblade > mDK. For dueling and group play ill take mDK tho, but it's always shined in those situations where it's limitations aren't so easily exploited.

Mageblade is FUN though, you just have to accept you're gonna die some, it's hard mode pvp
  • ninjaguyman
    ninjaguyman
    ✭✭✭
    can we get merciless resolve/relentless focus to recast itself after firing off assassin's will? its such a small change, but its just so annoying to have to dual cast that sometimes.

there are also some skill morphs in the nb skill lines that are kinda just useless. ie the trap morph of fear, or leeching strikes. The times i've seen these skill actually be used by someone can be counted on the hands, and for leeching strikes that count is still zero. There's also the other morph of crippling grasp, debilitate i think, which I'm pretty sure most people don't use.
    Characters:
    AD breton nb: Shadowshinobi
    DC Altmer magicka nb: merc shot
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they now?

Granted I was in x5 heavy with only about 1k crit resist

2016-11-25-15-59-11_zps4xn1a77d.png
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do they now?

Thats there strongest combo. This person probably has spinners on to cut your heavy. 1k impen is a terrible idea also, i have 3.1k as a ganker.

Once cloak is fixed they will be fine.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer , yes . Long answer would go all the way back to when they nerfed cloak and funnel health . Then changed the way crit values stack in healing to fix Malubeth .
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they now?

FWIW Assassin's Will has a cast time (0.1 sec) and a very, very loud, very distinct audio cue. If you're running destro and Crushing Shock (which I'm assuming you do as a magic sorc) then it's pretty easy to just use Crushing Shock to bash them out of their Assassin's Will or, failing that, block.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the weakness have to do with the damage has to be set up. I was dueling a high burst nightblade using velidreth I was hitting him for around 7k non crit on assasins will he was hitting me for 7k surprise attacks, Plus 8k velidreth. So he can hit me for burst whenever he pleases but I have to wait for a ultimate and a will proc to do that kind of damage, and it's not just stamblades all stamina builds have that kind of burst. Why play magblade when I can play any stam build and beat most people pressing 3 or so buttons while my magblade I have to keep up like 3 dots and 5 buffs to do any real damage
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can we get merciless resolve/relentless focus to recast itself after firing off assassin's will? its such a small change, but its just so annoying to have to dual cast that sometimes.

there are also some skill morphs in the nb skill lines that are kinda just useless. ie the trap morph of fear, or leeching strikes. The times i've seen these skill actually be used by someone can be counted on the hands, and for leeching strikes that count is still zero. There's also the other morph of crippling grasp, debilitate i think, which I'm pretty sure most people don't use.

Could not agree more.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblades shortcomings get masked pretty well atm by the OPness of the destro ult and the amazing synergies it has with siphon and lotus fan.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from their very good peformance in duels (1v1) and as the best bomber in Cyrodiil right now, the only problem I see with magblade is the unreliability of cloak these days. Ironically enough it's all these braindead light attack bow spammers that mess me up the most because any projectile with a travel time is going to pull me right back out of cloak every time I hit it.

Wrobel has already promised on reddit that they're universally buffing magicka in U13. I have seen no dev comments about cloak, of course. There's also the fact that they will be gutting proc sets in some way or another which will make Magblades stronger by extension.

I love magblade as it is honestly. Give cloak some work and I will be very happy with mine overall. Just making it unbreakable by single target damage (not by AOE or magelight/expert hunter) would probably fix a lot of the issues with travel time abilities, including gap closers, breaking it constantly.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

You are very wrong about stamina NB being equal to stamsorc in PvE DPS. Stamina NBs get max single target damage around 2-3k lesser than sorcs and as for AoE, no where close to sorcs.

Sure about that? I know I can pull the same numbers on both classes. The max single target damage isn't a fixed value it changes from player to player, so you will definitely have Stamblades pulling more DPS than Stam Sorcs and the other way round. Personally, my best class is stam DK though and neither sorc or NB get close to the single target damage of a DK.
    In AoE sure, no doubt about Stam Sorc being the best stam class. But AoE DPS isn't exactly what matters most, is it? After all, trash dies quickly no matter what.
    The ultimate regeneration on NB is really insane to the point where Rend is up before you even know it. In execute phases Stamblade > Stam Sorc too (don't even mention Implosion, even in the longest execute phase in the game, which is Rakkhat, implosion won't proc more than 2 or 3 times, simply cause under 15% its a matter of seconds before he drops).
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Could not agree more.

^ This. Would instantly make NBs more competitive in PvE. Right now no matter how hard the proc will hit, its value will always be divided by 2. I think 4 light or heavy attacks is enough of a restriction and balancing of the skill.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblades have a high learning curve and aren't easy to play, but they don't need a buff. I agree with the others talking about merciless recasting itself though. The biggest downside to magblade I found was the amount of management you have to do compared to other classes.
  • KoreanAwtamatic
    If summon shade could be cast without targeting a player I would be so happy. Seriously that would make playing nightblade so much easier and also make them more balanced. I play my mageblade with out cloak and summon shade is an awesome skill but most of the time it's hard to target and cast and almost 50 percent of the time I double cast it by accident. Good players that use the mageblade will have such a better time if they made that one change
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slickst3r wrote: »
    If summon shade could be cast without targeting a player I would be so happy. Seriously that would make playing nightblade so much easier and also make them more balanced. I play my mageblade with out cloak and summon shade is an awesome skill but most of the time it's hard to target and cast and almost 50 percent of the time I double cast it by accident. Good players that use the mageblade will have such a better time if they made that one change

Honestly if you could shade without target they can aswell reverse all streak nerfs.

Another possibility would be to no longer have a target requirement to cast but implement a line of sight check for the teleport.

Shade is probably the best NB spell right now. It doesn´t need buffs.
    <Noricum>

• alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Honestly if you could shade without target they can aswell reverse all streak nerfs.

Another possibility would be to no longer have a target requirement to cast but implement a line of sight check for the teleport.

You must have some kind of problem to measure things correctly.
    Placing shades without target doesnt mean getting rid of the max distance you can teleport or number of times you can do it, it just means you dont need an enemy right in front of you to place it, like we dont need it to streak for example.
    Edited by alephthiago on November 26, 2016 6:01PM
    Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
    *** kitty AD Stamblade
    Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
    agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
    Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
    Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
    Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, solo open world Pvp mageblade > mDK. For dueling and group play ill take mDK tho, but it's always shined in those situations where it's limitations aren't so easily exploited.

Mageblade is FUN though, you just have to accept you're gonna die some, it's hard mode pvp

Huh? How can a SOLO Mageblade both be worse in duels but better in open world? Don't tell me it's because mageblades accel from ganking at stealth...because they don't. or because magicka NB are masters at LOS. If los is required there is a problem. Furthermore have you not stumbled against a mdk in open world? They talon, petrify, skoria, flame lash, and standard of might you to death. As a magicka NB you can't dodge roll and break free enough to get out and you can't cloak away do to all the dots and talons. Only way to counter that is run mist form but that forces you to be vamp, take major fire damage, and drains your magicka. + most mdk are tanky as hell.
    Kutsuu wrote: »
    Aside from their very good peformance in duels (1v1) and as the best bomber in Cyrodiil right now, the only problem I see with magblade is the unreliability of cloak these days. Ironically enough it's all these braindead light attack bow spammers that mess me up the most because any projectile with a travel time is going to pull me right back out of cloak every time I hit it.

Wrobel has already promised on reddit that they're universally buffing magicka in U13. I have seen no dev comments about cloak, of course. There's also the fact that they will be gutting proc sets in some way or another which will make Magblades stronger by extension.

I love magblade as it is honestly. Give cloak some work and I will be very happy with mine overall. Just making it unbreakable by single target damage (not by AOE or magelight/expert hunter) would probably fix a lot of the issues with travel time abilities, including gap closers, breaking it constantly.

Bomber? No one plays a bomber anymore after they nerfed proxy det. Bombers can't blow up jack up anymore. Cloak has been malfunctioning since launch. To add insult to jury they keep putting in more counters without actually fixing anything.
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Magblades have a high learning curve and aren't easy to play, but they don't need a buff. I agree with the others talking about merciless recasting itself though. The biggest downside to magblade I found was the amount of management you have to do compared to other classes.

What's the point of playing a class with a high learning curve when you can play the stam version that puts out equal to or greater than the damage of magicka NB and is easier to play. If ZOS is goal is to provide a class that is High risk but high reward make it so! But don't allow other classes to be low risk with high reward! either other classes gets nerfed or magicka gets buffed. None of this, magicka NB is high risk high reward crap when other classss get shields, instant heals, higher dps, better escapes, more dodge rolls, block reductions, and less micromanagement.
    Edited by LegacyDM on November 26, 2016 8:38PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they're pretty balanced, just everything else isn't lol. Seriously tho, I get the same amount of kills on a magblade than I do on any other set up/class but in a much, much different way. They're still relevant, you just have to be the type of player to play one.

It's the patient, thinking man's class. If you're not either then you're gonna get flattened.
    PC EU
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they're pretty balanced, just everything else isn't lol. Seriously tho, I get the same amount of kills on a magblade than I do on any other set up/class but in a much, much different way. They're still relevant, you just have to be the type of player to play one.

It's the patient, thinking man's class. If you're not either then you're gonna get flattened.

Everything is relative to everything else. How can you make a case for balance without understanding what balance means if nothing else is balanced? If everything else is unbalanced how can nb possibly balanced?

Look I agree with you that you need to be patient and they are relevant but the fact remains that other classes can hit just as hard, provide similar utility, and are easier to play. Magicka Nb need some love. I've asked mr. Lambert to provide some data. I'm curious to see how many people are actually playing magicka nb compared to everything else. I see ones and twosies in cyrodil when I play compared to a billon other classes running around. I think we can make a correlation that if less people are playing compared to other classes than there potentially is a problem.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the issue is the lack of gear sets that compliment magic as stamina currently has . So Nightblades that run Majic builds work twice as hard at dps . Some of Us make it work but that comes from playing for years and being resourceful . You don't see Magblade making 1 v X videos often and when you do their target are not melting in seconds like stamblades victims . To say they are balanced compared to stamina I only assume comes from a lack of current experience . I would really love to see some of these players saying their balanced show off this balance in a video against other 561 cp players .
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? How can a SOLO Mageblade both be worse in duels but better in open world? Don't tell me it's because mageblades accel from ganking at stealth...because they don't. or because magicka NB are masters at LOS. If los is required there is a problem. Furthermore have you not stumbled against a mdk in open world? They talon, petrify, skoria, flame lash, and standard of might you to death. As a magicka NB you can't dodge roll and break free enough to get out and you can't cloak away do to all the dots and talons. Only way to counter that is run mist form but that forces you to be vamp, take major fire damage, and drains your magicka. + most mdk are tanky as hell.

Bomber? No one plays a bomber anymore after they nerfed proxy det. Bombers can't blow up jack up anymore. Cloak has been malfunctioning since launch. To add insult to jury they keep putting in more counters without actually fixing anything.
    Alucardo wrote: »

What's the point of playing a class with a high learning curve when you can play the stam version that puts out equal to or greater than the damage of magicka NB and is easier to play. If ZOS is goal is to provide a class that is High risk but high reward make it so! But don't allow other classes to be low risk with high reward! either other classes gets nerfed or magicka gets buffed. None of this, magicka NB is high risk high reward crap when other classss get shields, instant heals, higher dps, better escapes, more dodge rolls, block reductions, and less micromanagement.

This is not true; you can run a bomber on NB right now with Destro Ult...Its very very nasty.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm... Nightblades arguably have the best synergy with EOTS among Magicka builds and Bomblade builds using it are very popular right now.

Also, magblades have arguably the best class-based mobility and escape tools IN THE GAME - mDK is exactly the opposite with the worst mobility. That is the biggest factor that makes the magblade stronger in open world soloing than a mDK. Let's also consider that Magblades have some of the best stamina sustain you'll find among magicka classes because of Siphoning Strikes. The point stands that you don't have to stand and fight that mDK that you can't kill because they built tanky to counter you - you can walk away, just like you can walk away from 99% of fights that you desire to. Stamblades have no better chances in a 1v1 against a mDK unless they cleanly gank them from 100-0.

I really will never understand the campaigns for buffs that happen on this forum, enacted by rejecting reality and making up a bunch of crap. The worst of it is that the devs seem to cave to it.
    Edited by Kutsuu on November 27, 2016 2:43PM
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

You must have some kind of problem to measure things correctly.
    Placing shades without target doesnt mean getting rid of the max distance you can teleport or number of times you can do it, it just means you dont need an enemy right in front of you to place it, like we dont need it to streak for example.

I just think you don´t even grasp the potential of the spell in terms of moving your character - through solid objects mind you.
    <Noricum>