The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is anyone playing ESO on Vista?

BreakYou
BreakYou
Soul Shriven
I know there are a lot of posts about ESO and Windows Vista and about how it's no longer supported but there are many saying that it should work, including an admin on this forum:
Vista doesn't support DX11 out of the box, but should be supported with SP2. As long as Vista is up to date, the game should still run ok.

Yet I haven't seen anyone who has actually gotten it to work. My question is has anyone gotten ESO to work on Vista at all? I have Vista x64 SP2, a DX11 capable GPU and DX11 and updated. I performed a completely fresh installation of Vista and completely updated it. Still I get nothing. I just need to know if I'm wasting my time by even trying.

***I know Vista is junk and Windows 7/8/10 is superior. I will update soon***

But I'm still wanting to know if it will work on Vista.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Edited by BreakYou on November 25, 2016 5:22AM
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still have nightmares from using Vista years ago, *shudders*
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• OMA
    OMA
    ✭✭✭
    I played the Beta and the first month of the game on Vista. It did alright until my new cyber power win7 arrived. Even when I had to take in the win7 and repair it I was able to update my vista computer and play. My main problem with Vista was only in the mechanical issues such as a slower lower quality GPU and not enough memory so I had to run it on lowered graphical settings but it worked.
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I no longer have Vista. I have not run this game on Vista. I did however go through the headache of owning Vista for years and not being able to replace it. I sympathize. Mostly with how people pipe off a quick, "your divers are obsolete - update," when googling for help.

What they cannot comprehend is sometimes you cannot update for various reasons. Examples might be you are at your grandparents house once every year for the holidays and all they have is an old pc you don't want to invest any money in but still... there's nothing to do but sit on old furniture and watch the oldies channel that grandma insists on. Or maybe you live in a house with twelve brothers and sisters and your turn on the good equipment is not now. Or maybe your money goes to your college fund not your entertainment fund. There are good reasons people find themselves looking at Microsoft's once beautiful but now abhorred child, Vista. So flippant "get your sh* together and buy" statements are face slaps.

But... Vista is obsolete for everything except old Kodak cameras that rely on Kodak Easyshare which uses drivers associated with Vista.

When Win10 came out MS enraged me that they offered it free to everyone but us Vista users. I could not buy a RETAIL version of Win7/8 because only OEM's were for sale. OEM means it is licensed by Microsoft for use by pc distributors not common folk. Microsoft still does this. It makes two versions of OS for public - one for distributors (OEM) and one for general everyday folk (RETAIL).

If you want your PC to be safe from virus's and have drivers that games run on you must update to Windows 10.

The best route to accomplish this is to buy Win10 RETAIL VERSION (((not OEM!!))) from a store like Best Buy. Ask if they have RETAIL version in stock and keep at them to tell you they are not sneaky selling you an OEM (Best Buy employees will sell you a jar of p*z with a smile on their faces). Another evil of Microsoft is only releasing x number of copies of the RETAIL version of their OS's and it runs out quick. Buy Windows 10 on a flash drive (assumes your pc has 3.0 usb ports). Then look on youtube how to CLEAN INSTALL windows 10. It does not hurt to learn about partitioning and how to move around in DOS (usually with arrow keys).

Buy another cheap empty flash drive from Walmart or Best Buy. Before you start any of this zip all your important documents up and store them on this empty flash drive. Clean installing Win10 will wipe your PC's memory blank - everything gone. You cannot save PROGRAMS (like Kodak Easyshare). Only pictures and documents. Programs that ran on Vista are obsolete in 2016.

There is a way to get Windows Movie Maker to work on Win10 but Microsoft will shut off it's download link soon. If you want to know more about Movie Maker I can make another post.

SORRY FOR THE WORD WALL - But disclaimer: Even if you update your Vista OS to Win10 OS there is no assurance your PC is fast enough to handle TESO. I need to see your guts. Type dxdiag and hit enter. A report popup will load. On the popup will be a button that says, "Save All Information." Click that and save to anywhere you can find it. Look at it and copy and paste to this forum these:

1) Operating System
    2) Processor
    3) DirectX Version

And down under "Display Devices":

4) Card name

You can delete the report. I use this report for quick copy and paste action but this info can be found other ways.
  • jimoneykoolchris
    jimoneykoolchris
    Soul Shriven
    Doesn't seem to work. Just installed it on my old Vista 64-bit gaming laptop and I get some failure to initialize error on launch.

Instead of spending money to upgrade Windows, have you considered getting a newer hardware that comes with Windows 7 and above instead?

I think one of the best values out there for PC gaming is the Alienware Alpha. I have the R1, i3 version and got it for $440. I've seen the R1 i7 ones go for under $400 this past Black Friday.

Make sure you get the Alpha and not the Steam Machine version. Steam Machine comes with SteamOS which cannot play Windows games. The R1 Alpha's came with Windows 8.1. The R2 comes with Windows 10.
  • DponyG
    DponyG
    Eso said they will not support Vista any longer. You will perhaps be able to get a refund if you explain your problem.