The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I'm curious. When was the last time you crafted a low level set?

• cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday.
    And the day before. I craft low level sets often, so it really, really annoys me that I cannot gather the materials.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • AdamskiAlders
    AdamskiAlders
    ✭✭✭
    Last week for a low level Alt and also probably again in a few hours for that same Alt who needs some new duds, might try out some Hallowjack as I have all the motifs but never needed to build new armour to check it out.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iselin ...interesting question...

for my non-vets I make them their first set at level 10, usually it's either julianos, hunding's rage, night mother's gaze or my all time favorite willows path...

I'll update their gear every 8 to 10 levels...

all my characters spend a lot of time in cyro and only a small amount of time questing...most of the time I am in different maps, I'm simply farming or exploring...

I have 4 vet characters, one is wearing 2 crafted sets, another character has 1 crafted set - everything else is either dropped or from cyro/IC...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At least every other day. Mostly for guildmates, sometimes for random people who ask for a crafter in chat. I did one this morning.

I'm about due to upgrade gear for a few of my alts, too.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Several months ago levelling up a mag character - Julianos (if you count 6 traits as low level). Otherwise it was years ago - probably Ashen Grip to go with Hunding's Rage.

Crafting has been left behind badly.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.O

I got lazy and asked in zone for a crafter, I got a person who offered to craft me gear for free from his own materials - blue quality....

I gave him 100k as a thank you in the end when I recieved the last pieces, because he seemed very nice and spared me the headache of chasing lowbie materials. I used to craft for lowbies in my guild, but it has been a while since I last did that. I think it's because they levelled their own crafting skills since then..
  • hingarthuub17_ESO
    hingarthuub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to do that right now, for a lowbie alt. I've spent my morning running from guild trader-to-guild trader looking for these low level mats, and it's frustrating as hell. Many guild traders have no items on them.

One of my characters is a master crafter. For God's sake just give me back the ability to farm this stuff myself. And no, I've no wish to roll another crafter - one's enough, if ya follow me.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to do that right now, for a lowbie alt. I've spent my morning running from guild trader-to-guild trader looking for these low level mats, and it's frustrating as hell. Many guild traders have no items on them.

One of my characters is a master crafter. For God's sake just give me back the ability to farm this stuff myself. And no, I've no wish to roll another crafter - one's enough, if ya follow me.

In 1T its better to have the char needing the gear do the harvesting runs, if you dont have the time to just gather in gameplay. No need for second crafter.

But seriously, character in need casual play harvest plus gear drops from kills is very fast, possibly faster than just noding, cuz of all the decons. Better xp too.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did it few minutes ago.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already answered this once, but I crafted another three low level sets this morning.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago while having fun leveling an alt inside Wailing Prison. I had to mail stuff to my other account & back to get it to her.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

yesterday made full 8pc set for my 7th lvl to start their questing. All basic training at lvl 6.
    got to 10 yesterday and have been incorporating drop pieces (sets or not) in as they come as long as the weight is right since they are all better than the crafted. Still have about half those lvl 6 pcs on the char.

Wont craft any more until they hit 15, maybe not then - but the casual gatherings will be more than sufficient if i decide to. Most likely the next serious look at crafting will be at 24 - except for consumables of course.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with my guild in BWB, so I have to craft lowbie gear all the time. I think last week I crafted about 5 sets.

The, 'harvest with the character you need it on', doesn't work for me. If I'm crafting for my guildies, I'm obviously not that lvl. If I'm crafting for myself, I don't want to be running around on the character I need it for. No xp in anyway please, I play bwb I don't wanna do any leveling outside of it and even discovering places while harvesting will level you up.

I will say it again, some of the community has needs and those needs are not being met with the current set up. I'm not asking for the world, just for a better way. :) The crafting system as a whole needs a revamp. Rest of the game got one, now its time for some QoL stuff ZOS!
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I made a level 18 training gear for an alt a few weeks ago. Made another set for him at level 30 (made him a tank at this point) and that was it. Bought the mats I needed that I didn't have already.

Using things that are not BiS (like ashen grip) for new toons is fun.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    Last weekend for a guildmate just looking for research items
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently rolled a new character and leveled them, only up to 40 so far, but I have only played them a little more than a day (28 hours total). It was good that I had banked some leveling sets from previous alts, as even with the Node Scaling, I don't think I could have kept that character in crafted gear every 10 levels without some dedicated farming.

Note, I am not investing in the Material Passive, as this character is not a crafter, and never will be. I miss the days when I could log onto my Master Crafter, who is kitted out for Farming with the gear and passives to make farming more efficient and just hoover up a zone's worth of mats to make some gear or have on hand to make later. I can only imagine how much of a fap this would be if I was making gear every 4 levels like I used to before I had a good supply of tempers to improve things.

Dropped set items are not the answer, as I would be over leveled by the time I collected enough pieces to make a set, and this is with only a passing nod to getting some good traits.

The new system does not work for leveling characters, only end game characters.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Update:

yesterday made full 8pc set for my 7th lvl to start their questing. All basic training at lvl 6.
    got to 10 yesterday and have been incorporating drop pieces (sets or not) in as they come as long as the weight is right since they are all better than the crafted. Still have about half those lvl 6 pcs on the char.

Wont craft any more until they hit 15, maybe not then - but the casual gatherings will be more than sufficient if i decide to. Most likely the next serious look at crafting will be at 24 - except for consumables of course.

Update.

have reached lvl 15. all the current gear is drops (green) at lvls 12-15 (including two rings) except for a lvl 2 necklace Now wearing a complete set.

At lvl 7 crafted non-set 8+1 green training pieces.
    now by 15 have 10+1 in the 12-15 and a full 5pc set all drops.

No need to craft equip that will get outleveled in a short while by the next drops.

Deconned a bunch. never farmed just gathered as i went.

just so nice for the developing character now.

Will check back in at lvl 25ish to see if crafting worthwhile.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago, when my stamplar hit level 16.

Crafting sets will always be easier than using dropped sets. At the rate at which people level, it's simply impractical to invest the time to find pieces at a certain level. If you buy them, it requires a lot of shopping around. If you farm for them, you'll be leveling during the farming process and they'll be outdated by the time you complete the set.

The very notion that dropped sets are better for lowbies is mind-boggling. It takes me a few minutes to throw together a set for a lowbie, all in the traits (Training!), weights, and slots that I want and is so much easier than any other option.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Crafting sets will always be easier than using dropped sets. At the rate at which people level, it's simply impractical to invest the time to find pieces at a certain level. If you buy them, it requires a lot of shopping around. If you farm for them, you'll be leveling during the farming process and they'll be outdated by the time you complete the set.

The very notion that dropped sets are better for lowbies is mind-boggling. It takes me a few minutes to throw together a set for a lowbie, all in the traits (Training!), weights, and slots that I want and is so much easier than any other option.

Really?

How often do you recraft all that gear as you level up and dismiss all those drops always dropping at your current level?

For me, the ongoing leveling of drops is a notch against crafteds... for you the drops suffer more from being outleveled?

Agree whole way that mind boggling ia apt description.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Really?

How often do you recraft all that gear as you level up and dismiss all those drops always dropping at your current level?

For me, the ongoing leveling of drops is a notch against crafteds... for you the drops suffer more from being outleveled?

Agree whole way that mind boggling ia apt description.

I recraft every 10 levels typically. My stamplar is the only character that's gone through any bit of leveling since OT, and although he's gotten a number of set items, they are in a jumbled mish-mash of sets, traits, and slots at a wide range of levels. It really is much more efficient to pump out two sets of Training gear than to use the dropped items.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't have cp points then I can definitely see the point of crafting gear, after all there seems to be a hefty disadvantage of not updating items every few levels because of how one tamriel works from 1 to 50. I try not to use cp on my new alts and the reasonable challenge has been supprisingly pleasant.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't have cp points then I can definitely see the point of crafting gear, after all there seems to be a hefty disadvantage of not updating items every few levels because of how one tamriel works from 1 to 50. I try not to use cp on my new alts and the reasonable challenge has been supprisingly pleasant.

The only cp i spend before 50 is 10 on regen for the node passive. Ibagree, the challenge is more intriguing that way. But its still imx better to work in appropriate drop piece a few level at a time than to sit on 5-10 levels old crafteds as some suggest.

But regardless, i am thrilled to see so many explaining how even after 1T they are able to craft over and over again as they level up.

To hear some, you might think anything but tier-1 and tier-10 are as rare as a bigfoot in a string bikini on A surfboard.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried dropped gear at very low level. I got full set in starter island by looting treasure chests. But after that i move so fast through the areas that i never get full sets before moving on. And my toons looked like fugly stapled-up Igors.

I think the drop sets are okay for those who level up by doing all quests and move slowly. That's what i did with my two first toons two years ago. Now i sweep through areas fast picking only skyshards, dolmens, worldbosses and some skill point quests.

Back to crafted sets.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I tried dropped gear at very low level. I got full set in starter island by looting treasure chests. But after that i move so fast through the areas that i never get full sets before moving on. And my toons looked like fugly stapled-up Igors.

I think the drop sets are okay for those who level up by doing all quests and move slowly. That's what i did with my two first toons two years ago. Now i sweep through areas fast picking only skyshards, dolmens, worldbosses and some skill point quests.

Back to crafted sets.

I csn see that. If you are not doingbthe things that deliver drop sets in regular play - quest fin, delve bosses, etc - and are just speeding thru the levels, using crafted gear as quick disposables makes sense. Crafteds definitely serve the quick and disposable for fast alting niche well enuf.

For me, with my 17-50, during the festival, i just didnt wsnt to take time out to load the crafter move them to tables etc, so i just kept to the drop sets.

Will see hoow this one pkays out by say 25 without the festival. Might go the crafted disposables route, but likely not.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• threefarms
    threefarms
    ✭✭✭
    For my low level character?
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Back to crafted sets.

I csn see that. If you are not doingbthe things that deliver drop sets in regular play - quest fin, delve bosses, etc - and are just speeding thru the levels, using crafted gear as quick disposables makes sense. Crafteds definitely serve the quick and disposable for fast alting niche well enuf.

For me, with my 17-50, during the festival, i just didnt wsnt to take time out to load the crafter move them to tables etc, so i just kept to the drop sets.

Will see hoow this one pkays out by say 25 without the festival. Might go the crafted disposables route, but likely not.

Update

slower going cuz i have been mostly soloing dungeons with my sorc for pledges and fun.

have gotten to 21 with my argonian.
    At 20 integrated in several drop pieces - including three jewelry from lvl 20 questing in the various guild/main story lines which i had saved up for this period.
    No new crafting yet but the next real possibility is the 26 lvl range which i almost certainly wont get into by the time festival starts.

Stronger with every swap.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just crafted level 20 sets (Hunding's Rage and Ashen Grip) for my stam sorc that I'm going to run in Cyrodiil for abit - also picked up 3 level 19-20 werewolf jewelry pieces on the cheap from traders.

It is much easier for me to just craft low level sets, improve to purple (I have loads of tempers) and enchant them than to run around farming drops when I'll be outlevelled by the time I get what I want. I plan on recrafting every 10 levels or so and then use these sets for another stam char on their way up. I do the same thing with my magicka chars as well.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to crafted sets.

Update

slower going cuz i have been mostly soloing dungeons with my sorc for pledges and fun.

At 20 integrated in several drop pieces - including three jewelry from lvl 20 questing in the various guild/main story lines which i had saved up for this period.
    No new crafting yet but the next real possibility is the 26 lvl range which i almost certainly wont get into by the time festival starts.

I think this explains the difference of preferences. My newbie i referred to on 1st of Dec. is now veteran at 120 CPs (it's first toon on a new account). I crafted gear at 4, 8, 16, 26, 36, weapons at 46, cp20, cp100. I expect to be cp160 before the new life festival.

I ended up deconstructing all the dropgear at end of each area. I saved dropped jewelry and probably next toon can wear good jewelry sets. During the leveling i never got a full armor set that would have been better than the crafted. And i don't want to look like an Igor. But i am an elitist prick and entitled to wear pink minotaurs in Troll's Toothpick :mrgreen: .

I would summarize:
    - If doing all quests drop gear is best option. Crafting may not yet be available.
    - For fast leveling of alts crafted gear is optimal choice.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    talking about crafting low level gear - for a long time I had relied on using willows path's 5 piece bonus (plus regen potions) to spam the heck out of all my abilities for my low level characters...

finally just realized - because I have accumulated a bit of cp (i'm around 440 now), I know longer need the willows path...happy I can switch it out with hunding's or julianos now...

low level characters are super durable, they just seem to do less damage cuz of their lower level gear...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Back to crafted sets.

Update

I think this explains the difference of preferences. My newbie i referred to on 1st of Dec. is now veteran at 120 CPs (it's first toon on a new account). I crafted gear at 4, 8, 16, 26, 36, weapons at 46, cp20, cp100. I expect to be cp160 before the new life festival.

I ended up deconstructing all the dropgear at end of each area. I saved dropped jewelry and probably next toon can wear good jewelry sets. During the leveling i never got a full armor set that would have been better than the crafted. And i don't want to look like an Igor. But i am an elitist prick and entitled to wear pink minotaurs in Troll's Toothpick :mrgreen: .

I would summarize:
    - If doing all quests drop gear is best option. Crafting may not yet be available.
    - For fast leveling of alts crafted gear is optimal choice.

No disagreement there.

I think i may have said it above too.

Speed leveling by grinding basically cuts out many of the common means by which you get drop sets. So, if thats your current lrveling method, counting on drops is not gonna be a great way to go compared to an occasional ttip to get new training trait crafting.

If you are not speed leveling and are questing, delving exploring etc, your gains in drop sets per level will be much higher and in my experience more than sufficient to get thru developing levels without much crafting and with more than sufficient mats to supply the crafting you need.

Its certain had i not switched gears to running my sorc, the argonian would have levrled to 50-cap by now, but it would even then note have been as quick as any speed leveler.

As for looking like an igor, tastes vary but i have tons of costumes and disguises if i hapoen to hit a bad klookung piece for a short period during leveling. Its once i hit 50-cap that i move to get the looks just right on the char just right cuz thats what they will be in for so much longer.

Its likely if i were just grinding down and speed leveling my way to leveling, i would be just doing the end of tier crafting every ten levels too using the mats gained at a given tier, assuming i took some time between grinding to decon or harvest.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.