The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Sword v maul

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
So which does more dmg in pvp
2h sword or 2h maul sharpened trait.
I currently use a gold sword but have a purple maul in bank of same set is it worth making gold or stick with sword
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A sword is most effective against sorcs, shield stackers, light armor users. A maul is better against heavy armor users or also if you don't have major breach or sharpened. Remember that if you have major breach plus sharpened, the 20% penetration from your maul is less useful because it takes into consideration the remainder of their resistances. The current meta is heavy armor for everyone other than magic sorcs it seems so you can't go wrong with a maul. If you struggle with shields though, I recommend a sword.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did some very rough calcs on this a while back and I found that a sharpened maul does more damage than a sharpened sword against anyone with >14k resistance without major fracture already applied and >19k with it applied.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the maul, but only because it has a more satisfying sound when you hit people with it. The sword sounds really tinny. For One Tamriel I definitely prefer blunt weapons for the extra armor penetration. Hell, even magicka characters are wearing heavy armor this patch (not that I blame them).
    On my stam sorc I also don't have major fracture, so the extra pen comes in really handy. If you use your 2h mainly as a buff bar with heals, a sword would be better, because the extra damage = extra healing.
    Basically, if you're lacking physical penetration, go for the maul. If you already have that in spades, then use the sword for more damage.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I use surprise attack plus sharpened sword and have some points into penetration so I think I might be covered just making sure I was doing right thing really.
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Light armor users will have 10 or 11k defense. Medium 11 or 12k. Heavy armor has alot(unless you stack penetration very extremely high, you won't overpenetrate heavy). Major Ward adds 5k to any of these.

10-12k penetration is basically the pvp sweet spot, in my opinion. It's easy to achieve(sharpened+fracture+a few cp), and will never go to waste. In the current meta it's reasonable to go even deeper on penetration, but not really required.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember right, 20% from a 2h maul comes in first, and benefits you more or less, depending on your target's starting resistances. Even the % add-on I use displays the 20% pen value in front of everything else.
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Asayre's calcs, 20% pen happens before any flat penetration, but after armor debuffs. So if you're running major breach and/or night mothers, you have to adjust your calculations accordingly.

In general, I don't find people in PvP with less than 18k armor (light with heavy chest/legs and major armor buff), unless they are shield stacking.

And that turns it into a shield breaker kind of discussion. Sword if you hate shield stackers, maul for everyone else.
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends.

Do you want 10% damage increase against some players, but 0% against others? (Maul)

Or do you want 5% against everyone ? (Sword)

I always choose Sword, because you will be surprised how much damage is actually absorbed by shields. ALL magicka classes run Shields. Not just Mag Sorcs. And even Stamina are using shields, like DK's forexample. On top of that, you have Barrier and all sorts of other random sources of damage shields.

For PvP i would personally never choose a solution that would gimp me against shields, to give me advantage on non-shields, unless the advantage was MUCH more that the disadvantage (like gaining 30% damage boost against shields, in exchange for loosing 5% on nonshielded).
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I like the maul, but only because it has a more satisfying sound when you hit people with it.
    This.
    Also this --> HAMMER TIME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends. The maul does less than 1% more damage against opponents wearing all heavy in my case, but I also cause major fracture, and I have 85 points into piercing. If you don't use use a move that causes major fracture, use a maul. If you don't want to invest CP into piercing, use a maul. If you have a similar set up as myself, use a greatsword.
    Edited by Strider_Roshin on November 3, 2016 12:52PM
  • Hexys
    Hexys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there really is a 'best option', they are just a bit situational.

Sword: More damage overall, also on your proc sets and bigger heals.
    Maul: More damage overall VS tanks but not against shields, least likely option to use.
    Axe: The bleed damage is actually alot, if you have some more DoT's running and you proc this, that alot of pressure!
    Astrum | Daggerfall Covenan | EU-PC
    Noricum | Daggerfall Covenant | EU-PC
    Spectral | Ebonheart Pact | EU-PC

DC | AR 50 | Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (07-08-2016)
    AD | AR 50 | Hexposed - Magicka Sorcerer (27-04-2017)
    EP | AR 50 | Darth Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (05-08-2018)
    EP | AR 50 | Grand Overload Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (03-03-2021)
    EP | AR 39 | Legendary Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer

EP | AR 43 | Hexyles - Stamina Nightblade
    EP | AR 49 | Hexys - Stamina Nightblade (23-02-2022)
    EP | AR 35 | Hexesy Shadowblade - Stamina Nightblade

EP | AR 50 | Hexesy - Magicka Warden (31-01-2021)
    EP | AR 49 | Hexyra - Magicka Warden (07-03-2021)

EP | AR 34 | Hexesy Czyterski - Magicka Necromancer

2.5k+ Champion Points
    Earned over 640.000.000 Alliance Points!

@Hexiss - Youtube Channel - Twitch Channel