The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

templar dps how??

hamburgerler76
hamburgerler76
✭✭✭✭
So i want to turn my temp into a dps bin healing on him forever wanna try something new since i have another healer anyway. Ok to the point i have a cp 230, breton, magica, templar and i am looking to make him more dps then heals but this is my first ever dps in game besides basics for quest and such. I was wondering whats good sets to craft and use now? and what sets i should try to farm? and what skills to run? and rotation orders? any help would be nice thxs everyone! :)
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey,
    for pve i'd suugest to craft 5pc Julianos + 3/4pc Magnus. Combine this with 3pc Willpower Jewelry and you are good to go in the beginning. I'm using dual wield mainbar, but you can also use destro-mainbar, the diference is extremely small imo.
    Skills:
    DW-Bar:
    - puncturing sweeps
    - blazing spear
    - radiant destruction
    - rearming trap
    - inner light
    - Ult: shooting star

Destro-bar
    - wall of elements
    - reflective light
    - ritual of retribution
    - concentrating focus
    - proxy/inner light
    - Ult: Nova/crescent sweep

If you want to go with destro-mainbar just swap sweeps with ritual of retribution.
    For single target fights keep up wall of elements reflective, trap and spam puncturing in between. When the boss hits 40% use radiant instead of sweeps (keep dots up untill ~25%)
    For AoE charge proxy and keep wall and ritual up and spam blazing spear. Maybe trap if you have enough stamina for it.
    Spend your CP mainly in elemental expert, thaumaturge and costreduction. These are your three most important perks.
    set-alternatives:
    - Valkyn Skoria (shoulders from undaunted dailys, head from vCoA)
    - Kena (shoulders from undaunted dailys, head from vWGT)
    - infallible aether (Sanctum vet or normal and aa and hrc after next patch)
    - moondancer (MoL vet and normal and trialweekly-rewards)

i hope this helps a bit :)
    Destruent
    Edited by Destruent on July 30, 2016 8:07AM
    Noobplar
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Julianos(if you cannot get your hands on Julianos, go 5 Seducers)-3 willpower/transmutation jewellery-2 Torugs Pact.

Destro Staff of Transmutation or Torugs Pact on front bar, Dual Wield Swords on the back. When levelled, having them equipped gives a nice little spell damage bonus.

Puncturing Sweeps (morph of Puncturing Strikes), Reflective Light (Morph of Sunfire), Breath of Life (for that emergency heal), Weapon skill (Force Pulse is useful), Inner Light from Mages Guild Tree, as it increases your spell damage just from being on the bar. You won't actually use it, I normally equip it to the back button and forget its there. You can replace the weapon skill with Radiant Glory/Radiant Oppression if thats unlocked - the infamous Jesus Beam Execute.

You will be using Puncturing Sweeps as your main ability, it heals you as it kills them. Bear in mind its a melee range skill though. Open with reflective light from range, then close in and use PS to kill them.

Put CP points in Thaumaturge, Elfborn, Elemental Expert.
    Edited by Bonzodog01 on July 30, 2016 8:20AM
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of being a huge hypocrite, I wouldn't recommend Bretons for magical DPS roles. They're very good for rounding out a build and making it more (magically) durable, but if you just want raw power, especially on a Templar, then an Altmer or Dunmer might be a better choice.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Inner light does NOT give you spelldmg. It increases your max magicka and gives you major prophecy for 10% spellcrit.
    Noobplar
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »
    Inner light does NOT give you spelldmg. It increases your max magicka and gives you major prophecy for 10% spellcrit.

Increasing your max magicka does increase spell damage, some. Also the Mage Guild passives will boost your max magicka by 2% for each slotted, which also increases your spell damage.
  • hamburgerler76
    hamburgerler76
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of being a huge hypocrite, I wouldn't recommend Bretons for magical DPS roles. They're very good for rounding out a build and making it more (magically) durable, but if you just want raw power, especially on a Templar, then an Altmer or Dunmer might be a better choice.

its a little late as this is already a 230 cp breton cant go back and cahnge now lol and with the next update im now paying 3k crowns lol
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

its a little late as this is already a 230 cp breton cant go back and cahnge now lol and with the next update im now paying 3k crowns lol

I'm not suggesting deep sixing your Breton. I'm talking about rolling up another Templar, assuming you've got a spare slot. Of course, like I said, I'm a huge hypocrite for suggesting it because I do have several Breton DPSs. A NB and a Sorc. But, it is a slightly more defensive race.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Increasing your max magicka does increase spell damage, some. Also the Mage Guild passives will boost your max magicka by 2% for each slotted, which also increases your spell damage.

No, it increases your overall damage with magicka-skills. But Magicka does NOT increase your spelldamage. Spelldamage as a stat is completely independent from magicka.

Breton is 3rd choice and okish for a templar. You'll loose some DPS on your fire-skills but you won't notice it unless you min/max your character/playstyle/group.
    Noobplar
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it increases your overall damage with magicka-skills. But Magicka does NOT increase your spelldamage. Spelldamage as a stat is completely independent from magicka.

There's some very fine hair splitting going on here.

Spell damage, and max magicka scale your damage with magicka based abilities. Both of them affect it. Technically, you are correct in that Max Magicka won't scale your reported spell damage on your character sheet, though it will affect the damage displayed by spells in the skills menu.

So... eh, close enough. It's two roads leading to the same place.

Breton is 3rd choice and okish for a templar. You'll loose some DPS on your fire-skills but you won't notice it unless you min/max your character/playstyle/group.

You also get the cost discount, which is arguably more valuable for a templar. Without crunching the numbers, it might actually be the best pick for a templar DPS. But... my instinct is still to say, they're not the best possible pick, because they're more defensive.

Of course, being more defensive is why I play them... well, that and they're cute as hell.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Best race for templars (dps-wise) is dunmer, but they have the worst sustain. Second would be altmer with breton as 3rd, both of them have better sustain but less dps.

Spell damage, and max magicka scale your damage with magicka based abilities. Both of them affect it. Technically, you are correct in that Max Magicka won't scale your reported spell damage on your character sheet, though it will affect the damage displayed by spells in the skills menu.

I agree :)
    I just try to keep those different things seperated, bc most people get confused about this when you say "magicka increases spelldamage". There are big differences between spelldamage (the number in your character screen), damage with spells (best shown by your tooltips of magicka abilities) and magic damage (the damage type from some spells, same as elemental, physical and so on) in this game.
    I hope we didn't confuse the OP with this :wink:
    Noobplar
  • hamburgerler76
    hamburgerler76
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best race for templars (dps-wise) is dunmer, but they have the worst sustain. Second would be altmer with breton as 3rd, both of them have better sustain but less dps.

I just try to keep those different things seperated, bc most people get confused about this when you say "magicka increases spelldamage". There are big differences between spelldamage (the number in your character screen), damage with spells (best shown by your tooltips of magicka abilities) and magic damage (the damage type from some spells, same as elemental, physical and so on) in this game.

100% did :p
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WHOO! :D

Mission Accomplished! \o/
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, but seriously, your max magicka will affect your damage with magicka based attacks. I honestly can't remember if it affects your light and heavy attacks with a staff.

I want to say your resource pools raise their related damage type by about 1 point per 100.So if you have max magicka of 18k, you're effectively getting about 200 more spell damage, than reported on your sheet. But, it's not a number I really obsess over, so I could be way off on that ratio.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I know this would happen :lol:

Just ask, if you want to know anything else about this. I'll try to answer and explain your questions :)

B)
    Noobplar
  • hamburgerler76
    hamburgerler76
    ✭✭✭✭

I know this would happen :lol:

Just ask, if you want to know anything else about this. I'll try to answer and explain your questions :)

B)

so 5 piece julianos with 1 keena and 2 torugs pact and 3 willpower? :p
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    so 5 piece julianos with 1 keena and 2 torugs pact and 3 willpower? :p

That's a viable option :)
    But i'd trade kena/torugs for magnus in the beginning. You'll loose a bit spelldmg but gain some magicka and sustain. Sustain can be hard as templar and has a direct impact on your execute damage. :|
    Noobplar
  • ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could always roll out a new toon too, only takes a couple of weeks to hit 50 the only prob is getting the mats for the armor unless you have a stack of gold already. Took me 3 weeks to roll a new magic dps Templar with all purple CP 160 gear one piece gold.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For groupplay I would suggest getting 5 piece Twice-Born-star (You can have 2 mundus stones at the same time).Need 9 trait research to craft it. And then you take the shadow and thief mundus stone. This setup can give some really nice dps boost. But it requires a group where someone can run agressive warhorn (Alliance assault skill line ultimate)
  • Drakoleon
    Drakoleon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest to turn your Breton to dedicated healer! Its by far the best healer build. For DPS go HighElf
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drakoleon wrote: »
    I would suggest to turn your Breton to dedicated healer! Its by far the best healer build. For DPS go HighElf

Altmer for healing, dunmer for DPS. Breton for AP-farming.
    Qbiken wrote: »
    For groupplay I would suggest getting 5 piece Twice-Born-star (You can have 2 mundus stones at the same time).Need 9 trait research to craft it. And then you take the shadow and thief mundus stone. This setup can give some really nice dps boost. But it requires a group where someone can run agressive warhorn (Alliance assault skill line ultimate)

TBS only if you need the extra HP. If not, Julianos is better DPS most of the time for templars.
    Noobplar