The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Racial Passive Discussion

Pandorii
Pandorii
✭✭✭✭✭
First, I'd like to start with a question. Where can I find the most up-to-date information about racial passive changes. Searchers on the forum yield only commentary or reactions to the changes and PTS patch notes only include the most recent updates, which do not include the original list of passives.

Next, what race will be best for PvP stamina classes? what race will be best for PvE stamina classes? Currently, my first character (and crafter) is a Nord Dragon Knight. I did my first play through the game as a tank. Once I finished my undaunted and began leveling alts, I found her obsolete and abandoned. I decided to reroll as Stam DK, but still found her lacking. I am under the impression that Nords will be getting a stamina passive next patch, but I am also believe that they are still underperforming relative to the other more popular stamina races: redguard, bosmer, and khajit.

Can you all help me paint a better picture of what the class/race combinations will be like for stamina characters post patch? Feel free to discuss magicka class/race combinations as well, but I am under the impression that high elf (altmer) is still king in that domain.
  • 13igTyme
    13igTyme
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer master race will never die. I've been saying that for the past two years.
    PS4 | NA | l3igTyme

Thinking about coming back to play...
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link of racial passive changes after some searching: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/274961/pts-patch-notes-v2-5-0/p1

My concerns:
    1.) Why are there 6 races (Redguard, Khajit, Wood Elf, Imperial, Orc, Nord) that give stamina based passives and only 2 (High Elf, Breton) that give magicka based passives? **I excluded Dark Elf, because it gives 9 percent max magicka and 6 percent max stamina, making it a hybrid sort of race AND Argonian, because it only gives 3% max magicka, which is quite insignificant).

2. Of the real stamina races (Redguard, Khajit, and Wood Elf), why do 2 out of 3 of them give a passive that increases damage done from stealth, a buff that really ONLY benefits one of the four playable classes in the game: nightblade. It's no wonder that stamina nighblades have been the most OP class in PvP and the most popular class choice for ganking. **I excluded Orc, Nord, and Imperial from this list because they're stamina and health hybrids, making them more ideal for tanking or tanky/sustaining DPS.

Thoughts?
  • mildlylucid
    mildlylucid
    ✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    The link of racial passive changes after some searching: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/274961/pts-patch-notes-v2-5-0/p1

My concerns:
    1.) Why are there 6 races (Redguard, Khajit, Wood Elf, Imperial, Orc, Nord) that give stamina based passives and only 2 (High Elf, Breton) that give magicka based passives? **I excluded Dark Elf, because it gives 9 percent max magicka and 6 percent max stamina, making it a hybrid sort of race AND Argonian, because it only gives 3% max magicka, which is quite insignificant).

2. Of the real stamina races (Redguard, Khajit, and Wood Elf), why do 2 out of 3 of them give a passive that increases damage done from stealth, a buff that really ONLY benefits one of the four playable classes in the game: nightblade. It's no wonder that stamina nighblades have been the most OP class in PvP and the most popular class choice for ganking. **I excluded Orc, Nord, and Imperial from this list because they're stamina and health hybrids, making them more ideal for tanking or tanky/sustaining DPS.

Thoughts?

The racial passives imo are not as clean cut as just stamina and magicka races. There are 3 stamina DPS races: Redguard, Khajiit, Wood Elf; there are 3 magicka based races: High Elf, Breton, Argonian (3% isn't much but it is still something); and there are 3 tanky races: Orc, Nord, Imperial. (And I agree that Dark Elf is a hybrid race, although more favourable to magicka especially given the synergy with magDK skills).
    As for the stealth damage bonus, it can be used by all classes, it is just easier on a nightblade and so stam NBs are the most common ganker, however other classes do use it.
    But the main reason for how racial passives are is lore, which is unavoidable because without the lore there wouldn't be any racial passives anyway.
    Edited by mildlylucid on July 30, 2016 12:43AM
    Another day, another deathtrap.
    PC | NA | CP: 690+
    Main: Littlewill (50) - Khajiit Dragonknight Tank
    Alts:
    Bajzhli-do (50) - Khajiit Stamina Dragonknight DPS
    Tlanir Dro'flayn (23) - Dunmer Magicka Nightblade DPS
    Morgayne Dalodrel (21) - Breton Magicka Templar Healer
    Tumande Stormwatch (20) - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer DPS
    Tamdril Merilyn (5) - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight DPS
    Bjorngrim Ingensen (5) - Nord Warden Tank
    Gwynereth Bonecrusher (4) - Bosmer Stamina Warden DPS
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mildlylucid

The point about lore is a really good one. I hadn't thought about that.

The PTS patch notes shows that nords are getting a max stamina 6 percent boost to Robust Combustion (soon to be Nimble).
  • mildlylucid
    mildlylucid
    ✭✭✭
    @Pandorii

I've changed my comment to reflect that, didn't realise. I suppose that does make Nords have more potential as a stamina race.
    Alts:
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mildlylucid I don't know. I really don't feel like it makes Nord a viable stamina DPS class. I feel like it makes Nords a more well-rounded tank class, with stamina as the basis for its shields and heals.

I still don't feel like Nord can compete with Redguard, Khajit or Wood Elf in the DPS race. I think it's been a popular critique that Nords are still just not that good, even with the passive changes.
  • mildlylucid
    mildlylucid
    ✭✭✭
    @Pandorii True, although they are probably the best tanking race, even before the added max stamina.
    Alts:
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mildlylucid Imperials. :p
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mildlylucid Imperials. :p

As pure tanks, nothing beats Nords. But add utility in and Imperial wins over.