The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tweak my build - Sorcerer levelling

Durete
Durete
✭✭
Hello everyone,

I'm Currently trying to level a sorcerer, but it feels rather weak in compared to my other char(Stam DK) for levelling. Especially when talking about fighting world bosses.

My info:
Race: High elf
Class: Sorcerer
Lvl: 18
Point allocation: 100% Magicka
Other info: Vampire

FIrst bar: Destruction staff
Boundless storm
Lightning flood
Elemental Blockade
Drain Essence (to heal myself)
Endless fury
Ultimate: Power Overload

Second bar: Resto staff
Healing springs
Mutageno
Rapid maneuver (for the extra travelling speed when questing)
Lightning splash
Endless fury
Ultimate: Storm atronach

My rotation so far:

2-4 mobs:
Boundless storm>Elemental blockade>Lightning flood>power overload heavy attack>Drain essence>repeat (Currently I'm levelling 3 levels above the questlevel since I can't aoe more than 2 mobs on-level. and endless fury when the mobs almost die.

Bosses (this is where I fail at mostly)
Boundless sorm>Elemental blockade>Lightning flood>Drain essence>ELemental blockade>Drain essence>lightning flood>Healing springs> I die

Also have major problems with dolmens. in fact, while my dk always soloed dolmens on my sorcerer I die in the initial group of casters.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

I'm levelling mainly by doing the story quests, dungeons. currently just started deshaan and just skipping most world bosses/dolmens since I can't beat them.
  • Malyck
    Malyck
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend Thelon's build: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/223134/2-4-5-the-unholy-herdsman-thelons-pet-build/p1

I just finished leveling up a Sorc following his guide, and had no problem easily soloing World Bosses. Great guide with a ton of info and very easy to follow.
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By level 18 I think you have access to force shock from the destruction staff line. That should help. Also, pick up crystal shard and morph to crystal fragments. That will greatly improve your single target damage.

Lastly, I don't like them, but the Clanfear pet can be a really nice addition when solo questing at early levels to help keep hard hitting enemies off of you.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Durete
    Durete
    ✭✭
    Thanks @Malyck

I never find guides like that by googling or through the forum >,< I definitely need to upgrade my searching skills..

Will dig through that guide asap :)

@CasNation Thanks for the tips, Guess I figured the build all wrong, I mainly put aoe attacks along with healing attacks combined with endless fury for magicka regeneration.
    Edited by Durete on July 30, 2016 1:41AM
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    1. You don't want to dual bar your execute, being endless fury. I don't see why you have lightning flood on both bars either.
    2. You have no real single target damage. Lightning Flood and Elemental Blockade are good DoTs but you need a spammable. Magicka sorcerers generally use force shock and crystal fragments- spam force shock until c-frags procs, use c-frags, then repeat.
    3. You'll want Inner Light, though that's not completely necessary at the moment.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer is just harder to play and maybe you just lack the experience. But you'll get better and better. it's the same with each class.

1 Problem is, that Sorcerer get's its core ability way too late (conjured ward) until you have it, you will just die alot.
    So 1 suggestion is, that you should definately slot some daedric summoning abilities to level the skillline. Daedric curse for example (you already have the atronach slotted, this gives exp as well)

Drain essence also seems hindering to me, I would replace that.(maybe with crystal fragments) You should also respec to energy overload.
    Because it allows you to deal damage and restore ressources at the same time. This should help you alot in longer battles (such as boss fights)

But basically, you simply need to learn the class :) You are super squishy, because you are wearing light armor and not medium or heavy like your stamina DK. You don't have good instant damage, that's a problem in pve.
    You'll learn it eventually, maybe try to get force shock from the destruction skill line.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Durete
    Durete
    ✭✭
    Hey people, thanks for the tips.
    Dracane wrote: »
    and massi

Drain essence also seems hindering to me, I would replace that.(maybe with crystal fragments)

I mainly put this in for a) Stun on hard hitting single target attacks, and b) It's a very potent heal that can be done while destro staff is active. it heals for 20% of your total health every second.
    You should also respec to energy overload.
    Because it allows you to deal damage and restore ressources at the same time. This should help you alot in longer battles (such as boss fights)

I mainly took power overload for the bigger aoe area, as that's what I use power overload for 99% of the time:
    Power overload>Heavy attack(or light attack spam)>turn off power overload to save ultimate.

ALso I don't really have resource problems, other than health.

But basically, you simply need to learn the class :) You are super squishy, because you are wearing light armor and not medium or heavy like your stamina DK. You don't have good instant damage, that's a problem in pve.
    You'll learn it eventually, maybe try to get force shock from the destruction skill line.

Yea guess you're right. DK's are very easy for levelling with all their shields, heals and massive single target damage.
    And for nasty situations I have a tank build at my second bar there. (2h/tank) so I can solo any content (Heck Ive even soloed some dungeon bosses after my entire team died for standing in red.

Wanted to build my sorc more aoe like, because my Stamina DK doesn't have any aoe skills that are noteworthy .

Anyhow I changed my build as a result of the above tips+ some builds/video's that I saw on youtube.

Now I'm running with:

Bar 1: Fire destro staff:

- Endless Furya
    - Crystall fragments
    - Liquit Lightning
    - Elemental blockade
    - Force shock
    Ult: Power overload

Bar 2: Resto
    - Drain essence
    - Annulment
    - Blessing of restoration
    - Healing ward
    - Mutagen
    Ult: Astronach

I don't have all the skills that I want yet due to not high enough weapon/class/mage guild/vampire ranks.
    However I'll get there.

Along with learning some basic spellweaving I can now quest in level 30 area's, while I am level 22.

That being said: I still have a hard time with elite casters- even on-level casters can beat me quite easily, especially if they're fire.

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durete wrote: »
    Hey people, thanks for the tips.
    Dracane wrote: »
    and massi

Drain essence also seems hindering to me, I would replace that.(maybe with crystal fragments)

I mainly put this in for a) Stun on hard hitting single target attacks, and b) It's a very potent heal that can be done while destro staff is active. it heals for 20% of your total health every second.
    You should also respec to energy overload.

I mainly took power overload for the bigger aoe area, as that's what I use power overload for 99% of the time:
    Power overload>Heavy attack(or light attack spam)>turn off power overload to save ultimate.

ALso I don't really have resource problems, other than health.

Yea guess you're right. DK's are very easy for levelling with all their shields, heals and massive single target damage.
    And for nasty situations I have a tank build at my second bar there. (2h/tank) so I can solo any content (Heck Ive even soloed some dungeon bosses after my entire team died for standing in red.

Wanted to build my sorc more aoe like, because my Stamina DK doesn't have any aoe skills that are noteworthy .

Anyhow I changed my build as a result of the above tips+ some builds/video's that I saw on youtube.

Now I'm running with:

Bar 1: Fire destro staff:

- Endless Furya
    - Crystall fragments
    - Liquit Lightning
    - Elemental blockade
    - Force shock
    Ult: Power overload

Bar 2: Resto
    - Drain essence
    - Annulment
    - Blessing of restoration
    - Healing ward
    - Mutagen
    Ult: Astronach

I don't have all the skills that I want yet due to not high enough weapon/class/mage guild/vampire ranks.
    However I'll get there.

Along with learning some basic spellweaving I can now quest in level 30 area's, while I am level 22.

That being said: I still have a hard time with elite casters- even on-level casters can beat me quite easily, especially if they're fire.

The range of energy overload heavy attacks is 20 meters, that's more than enough in my opinion. But it's your choice :) I prefer the magicka restore.

And to increase your survivability, maybe replace blessing of restoration with lightning form. It gives you damage mitigation and deals damage as well. All you really need to do is to recast annulment frequently. When you morph it to harness magicka, you will also restore magicka when hit with magic, to negate its cost.

So maybe you want to keep annulment on your first bar to have faster access. Replace it with liquid lightning and put that on your second bar. When you are good, you could try to place some thing on your overload bar. Like Surge, lightning form etc. Thing with a long duration.

1 final tip. You say you want an AoE build. I recommend a lightning staff for this. Lightning heavy attacks deal 110% of their damage to nearby targets. So you have nice AoE damage and you also restore magicka. That's a great deal, believe me.
    Thatr's how I easily kill all monster groups in the Imperial City. It's really all you need.
    Edited by Dracane on August 1, 2016 4:34PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Durete
    Durete
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips!

I put blessing of restoration mainly as a life saver vs elites, but also to heal myself up in between fights.
    This is because I'm a vampire, and vampires have a - health regen debuff.