The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

holy crap prices for racial/name/apperance change

pema
pema
✭✭✭
So the prices came out in this item: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2016/07/26/update-11-guide-eso-style-parlor

I feel the racial change is broken because it does not allow you to change name, this is lorebreaking. I always choose my name carefully, and changing race would need a new name. To spend a 3k on the change then another 2,5k for the name only sounds a bit far-fetched.
Before you all start to rant about the temporary sale on the bundle, yes that fixes it for now. I find the 2,5k for a name change very much, why is a name so expensive while a char change is so cheap.
I expected the racial to be expensive, but expected it was all in one...

Sooo a crown sink has been added to the game, supplement by the new hairstyles we need to go buy.

Curious what you guys think of the prices... are they worth it.
Officer of Alith Legion
Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
Check out our site alithlegion.com
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All I plan on purchasing are two or three appearance change tokens, maybe a couple adornments as well, so I'm looking at 2k - 4k crowns total which is not all that bad. If I had multiple characters I planned on doing race and / or name changes on I would be crying in a corner right now.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1000 crowns for appearence, while more than I want to pay, is something I will do on at least two of my characters. Well, one for sure.

Luckily, I don't see any of my characters needing a Race Change, so that price is meaningless to me. However, at 2500 Crowns, I would rather buy a new character slot if that was the case. If I get my horse to 30, then that is good enough to get around on, so that is still much cheaper than doing a Race Change.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That name change price is hilarious.

The race change is high. But not laugh out loud high like the name change.

Sadly the sale bundle is right on for what i would expect to pay for this. 2k for the race and 1.5k for the name.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...ZOS Must be desperate for that cash. What a rip off lol. Too bad the money they get won't go into FIXING THEIR DAMN GAME but oh well...
    Edited by Moglijuana on July 26, 2016 4:58PM
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it seems that the only way to justify the price of a race change is if said character has already done the time-consuming grind(s) or not. Things like Undaunted, Mages & Fighters Guild, Alliance War skills, etc. For a character who not done these (or has only just begun, say in the first few ranks) the race change would be worth its price. For any character who does not have these already - do yourself a favor and reroll. The time it takes to get to level 50 is only a day or two tops when you're really going ham on the grind, and with CP being account-wide, the opportunity cost of a day is far less than 3000 crowns (equivalent to two months of sub time).

It's far easier to justify if you sub to the game, and just have the crowns sitting around collecting dust. If there's nothing else you want/need in the store and you sub, then why not?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow . ZOS is like an expensive hotel that charges $12 for a beer that cost $3 every where else ...
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2,500 crowns does seem steep for a name change ... but luckily I was only planning one name change (may not do that character now). Also only have one needed appearance change, but 1,000 crowns seems a bit better to revamp your whole character. My two cents ...
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what is the price on the hair bundle? as its only the hair on 3 of my characters i dislike! LOL
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmh, I was planning 2 race changes and 1 name change... 8500 crowns... :o
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is really no reason to not have the namechange added to the racechange for one price (so 3k for a race- AND a namechange). This is a very greedy approach from ZOS.
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    I want to change my main, all levelled and geared up character... that is over 2 years old and little did I know when I started how little things could influence my dps....
    I agree that you shouldn't just do this on any char, but that is up to anybody.
    The cost of it is crazy, and a racial change should include a name change, especially for 3k.
    Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had hope it wont be to expensive as someone who working with 4x cheaper currency than euro...so bye bye hope for name change etc for only 1 character
    it isnt for people like me then..I dont want that "so much" money spend only for this small thing....more I prefer spend these money for alco XD
    Edited by Edziu on July 26, 2016 10:41PM
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted a single race change for my main who i played for a while until they meseed up the balanced and making it worse over time, but 3000? ( i don't even want min max, i picked breton, a magicka since imperials were behind another paywall and races barely mattered at the beginning )
    Well i wanted to take a break from eso until vvardenfell or anything bigger than this 2 dungeons joke dlc is here, but i wasn't sure until now.
    Well done zos.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2000 Crowns for me I guess since I want 2 appearance changes, I'm not surprised at that number.

What I am surprised at is why is a single name change is going to be more expensive than completely altering two characters' appearances? That seems like an insanely high price for that kind of service. Are they trying to discourage name changes or something?
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • cinnabubbles
    cinnabubbles
    ✭✭
    Grabbing the bundle for my main, which i done goofed and didn't see 'til AFTER i bought the 5,500 crown pack. Not a huge deal though, leaves me with left overs for something latter on.
    Tumblr // Twitter

PC / NA
    Fausa Duskstone - 20CP Wood Elf Templar [DC, Main]
    Ýllethil - Level 11 Wood Elf Templar [DC, Grouping w/ Husband alt]
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    I can sort of see how name change would be expensive, as character names can't be repeated at all (at least on the xbox). If everyone's constantly changing their character names, it could make it more challenging for new players or people making new alts to create names that aren't cycling through being constantly changed.

That said, the cost for almost ANYTHING in the crown store is rather absurd. Ever pay attention to the cost of crowns vs the cost of in game aesthetic items? If I want a mount at say, 2500 crowns, that's literally like an hour of pay at my job. It's ridiculous. It makes many novelty items inaccessible to people who make minimum wage, which is nearly a third of my pay. I understand some things having a higher cost, but many things, like costumes or mounts, feel overpriced, especially when they have no direct gameplay impact other than visual.

These sorts of clever costs, by converting your currency to an in game currency to make it less obvious, tend towards the absurd side for anyone with a sense of financial responsibility and really bring the enjoyment down. Though, it's likely it'll never be addressed or reworked.
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I for one am glad the Race change option is at such a price. I was never for race change in the first place, but at least this price will prevent people from constantly switching because of FOTM. It also allows it so that their Character Slot expansion in the Crown Store doesn't become obsolete and which is probably exactly why they made race change costly (as it should be). So in short, yes I approve of these prices.
  • relaxed83
    relaxed83
    ✭✭✭
    This is a message of protest about the prices being charge they are outrageous and need to be lowered... there is no reason other than a money grab to keep these prices this high!!!
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People begged forever to be allowed to have a name change and offered much higher amounts of money than these. I won't even say the highest cost I saw enthusiastically offered as I don't think you'd believe me.

Obviously I agree that most crown items' prices are absurd and keep people from enjoying nice content as who the hell spends that much money on a game that, if they're like me, they're already paying the sub for, with 1/4th the initially promised content in updates.

Course, the prices aren't nearly absurd as the overblown music that's in the Style Parlor promo like it's some big event.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Worried this suggests we won't ever see a complete overhaul to balance the racial passives.

Balance among the four classes is still not perfect, but it has improved tremendously since launch, when vampire magicka DKs could solo 20 players and endgame PVE groups would routinely kick any stam builds. To get to the current level of balance it took a lot of iterations on classes, nerfs and buffs, along with lots of positive and negative feedback.

Currently, we still have a couple races that are like super races compared to the others due to 10% max damage stat and recovery passives.

The problem is now some are going to spend 2500 crowns to switch to redguard or high elf. As a result, I don't imagine we will see a reasonable level of balance at some point in the future, because those spending crowns now will become rather angry about any nerf to those two races, for example.

If the price were much lower, I imagine more players would would buy lots of the race change tokens and switch races casually when trying out different builds, probably not complain as loudly in the event of a future rebalance patch.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on July 27, 2016 4:07AM
  • karakondzula
    karakondzula
    ✭✭✭
    All prices are insane high, i expected that but hoped that at least appearance token would be really cheap. Well. not gonna buy any of that stuff except few adornments/hairstyles.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worried this suggests we won't ever see a complete overhaul to balance the racial passives.

Balance among the four classes is still not perfect, but it has improved tremendously since launch, when vampire magicka DKs could solo 20 players and endgame PVE groups would routinely kick any stam builds. To get to the current level of balance it took a lot of iterations on classes, nerfs and buffs, along with lots of positive and negative feedback.

Currently, we still have a couple races that are like super races compared to the others due to 10% max damage stat and recovery passives.

The problem is now some are going to spend 2500 crowns to switch to redguard or high elf. As a result, I don't imagine we will see a reasonable level of balance at some point in the future, because those spending crowns now will become rather angry about any nerf to those two races, for example.

If the price were much lower, I imagine more players would would buy lots of the race change tokens and switch races casually when trying out different builds, probably not complain as loudly in the event of a future rebalance patch.

Exactly
  • Neowit
    Neowit
    ✭✭✭
    Racial passives affect game play. Being forced to pay $25 for the best passives is where this game begins to become a pay-to-win cash vacuum. It's a little disappointing that the dedicated player base being milked like this. Particularly when existing issues with fundamental aspects of the game are not being addressed by the people milking us. This is a bad precedence here.
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too damned expensive for all of it. Halve the prices and zos would make far more actual money.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just using a template for these threads.

It is a bit much. I thought race change might on the high end be 1000-1500 (I have heard 3000) crowns and name change 500-750 crowns and I had planned to change a few races and a name or two but at these prices I would rather re-roll. They are probably not going to make as much over all with such jacked up prices when they could probably have raked in a lot more with bulk for cheaper. Pricing themselves right out of a large market. It is bad enough that we are going to pay 1500c for two dungeons with no new zone for almost the same price as TG and DB. This one is just a cash grab and if they keep it up eventually many of us will just say no thanks and move on. I could really live with just subbing one month a year and blow through the story content if this keeps up.

Good luck getting me to pay the cost of a brand new game to change these minor things when I can delete and re-roll. Most alts are fully built within a week and with such a skimpy DLC there will be plenty of down time to grind them up. Plus I have years for this not to be urgent. My main is what I want and alts are disposable.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • TheHsN
    TheHsN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i really cant understand...

You cant fix BUGS
    You cant fix LAGS
    You cant fix BALANCE
    Your drop rates are aweful
    You cant answer ur players wants
    Terrible customer servises

and u have the most FAITHFUL PLAYERS ever...

which face u make everything that expensive u even need to give those thanks to them that they are still playing and subs to you

Bank assistant 5k stupid mounts 4-5 k race change 3 key.... when u become like import export company...
    Plays:
    Magicka SORC - PvE/PvP
    Stamina NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka Templar - PvE
    Stamina Templar - PvP
    Magicka DK - PvE
    Stamina DK - PvE
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pema wrote: »
    So the prices came out in this item: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2016/07/26/update-11-guide-eso-style-parlor

I feel the racial change is broken because it does not allow you to change name, this is lorebreaking. I always choose my name carefully, and changing race would need a new name. To spend a 3k on the change then another 2,5k for the name only sounds a bit far-fetched.
    Before you all start to rant about the temporary sale on the bundle, yes that fixes it for now. I find the 2,5k for a name change very much, why is a name so expensive while a char change is so cheap.

Sooo a crown sink has been added to the game, supplement by the new hairstyles we need to go buy.

Even after seeing the prices. I am stilling on the path to buying 3 Race Change tokens and 1 Name Change token. I may be a bit upset with the prices but the only option is to either, fork out the cash or spend many many many months getting those Undaunted, and Alliance War skill lines maxed out again. $80 to $100 vs rerolling and taken months to get those back again. I think ZOS can have the $80 to $100 bucks.
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell no. At those prices I will just accept being very subpar or go play something else for 6months.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    pema wrote: »

they are f***ing high, too high, I was expecting not more than 1000 for each token...

and that thing, that they did not include name change too into race change just sucks!!
    there is bundle for race-appearance-name change for 3500, but that is still too much..

ZOS screwed this up!!!

too bad ZOS has choosen the "higher price, not so many will buy it" style, rather than "make the price not more than 500 - 1000 and everyone would buy it"
    !!!
    Edited by altemriel on July 27, 2016 6:43PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the name change price is OUTRAGEOUS!! I mean, even DCUO only charges $10 for a name change... but charging $25, that's freaking unreal! Then $35 for a race and appearance change?!? :( I agree with everyone else, this is NOTHING but PURE greed on ZOS' part!!
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****