The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Damage Mitigation: Explanation UPDATED 21/03/2021

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I
    Wait so JUST 100 crit resistance is -24% on enemy player's critical damage?

66 impen = -1% crit damage

The guy who ran the numbers said, "This means that 100 points into Resistant gives you ~24% critical hit resistance."

Fyi I meant 68. Oh I get you
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call that "JUST" 100 points. I mean at the moment we only have 230 points to play with so that is almost half of all your points if you want to get that much.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't call that "JUST" 100 points. I mean at the moment we only have 230 points to play with so that is almost half of all your points if you want to get that much.

1 point in the cp tree for crit resistance gives over 100 crit resistance... So for just 1 point I get -24% on enemy player's critical damage? That's what I'm saying, and if this is true, crit resistance is a must have.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1 point in the cp tree for crit resistance gives over 100 crit resistance... So for just 1 point I get -24% on enemy player's critical damage? That's what I'm saying, and if this is true, crit resistance is a must have.

no no no, 100 critical resistance only equals 1.4% critical reduction. When I say 100 points I mean using 100 champion points into the Resistant champion point tree, which is 1650 critical resistance. Not sure how you are confusing the two.
    Edited by paulsimonps on December 3, 2017 10:50PM
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um.... so its possible to beat end game content without having to do any of this BS calculations right? I hate math. This would not be fun at all.

I dont care why something works, I dont need to know why. As long as someone can tell me what works, I wont need to be bothered to figure it out myself beyond simple trial and error.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Um.... so its possible to beat end game content without having to do any of this BS calculations right? I hate math. This would not be fun at all.

I dont care why something works, I dont need to know why. As long as someone can tell me what works, I wont need to be bothered to figure it out myself beyond simple trial and error.

Its possible, but optimization makes things easier, knowing is half the battle. You don't need this, but it will make things easier if you understand this and allocate CP accordingly.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For trials, just ask your guild what to run, anything else you can complete fairly simply
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been covered, but I was wondering if anyone has tested whether it's the flat WD/SD reductions (glyph of weakening; healing mage set) or the percentage based WD/SD debuffs (minor/major maim, Alessia's bulwark), that are factored in first?

Is it decrease weapon damage by 30%, then lower it by 430; or is it lowered by 430 and then reduced by 30%.

Thanks.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it's been covered, but I was wondering if anyone has tested whether it's the flat WD/SD reductions (glyph of weakening; healing mage set) or the percentage based WD/SD debuffs (minor/major maim, Alessia's bulwark), that are factored in first?

Is it decrease weapon damage by 30%, then lower it by 430; or is it lowered by 430 and then reduced by 30%.

Thanks.

I would like to know this as well . Also how effective Weakening enchants on different enemies is really important . I got different damage taken from different enemies I used this enchant on . So I can only assume each enemy has different Weapon Damage values . Wish there was a list for that ^^
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »

Thanks.

I would like to know this as well . Also how effective Weakening enchants on different enemies is really important . I got different damage taken from different enemies I used this enchant on . So I can only assume each enemy has different Weapon Damage values . Wish there was a list for that ^^

I think the current philosophy is that weakening enchants directly counter berserker enchants. So if a build is using that to get over 4k weapon dmg, you'll reduce their weapon dmg by a flat value.

So if you use a set that gives 15% reduction on their dmg, that reduction is on their tooltip dmg of spells/abilities not the SD/WD values (minor maim is reduction of DMG done not actual SD/WD).

Of course someone can correct me if I am wrong. Either way, 4k minus 430 is about a 10.7% to 10.8% reduction on their WD stats which in turn reduces their tooltip dmg/healing. You could convert that WD lost to stamina lost (4300 stamina if you use 10 WD per 1 stamina point). Either way you reduce the healing ability of stamina builds and reduce their burst potential through using berserker enchant (which that enchant currently meta for most if not all DD stamina builds).

Another comparison, healing mage set is the same 430 WD reduction on all targets within your area heal over time ability. But doesn't reduce SD.
    Edited by Minno on March 2, 2018 10:15PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, regarding the weapon and spell damage debuffs, not actually tested it myself, and probably won't be able to test it for a few days at the least and weeks at the most as I'm immigrating to the US on Monday.

That being said, I am would think that it is one of the first things to be affected much like what @Minno was explaining. Since weapon and spell damage needs to the calculated before anything else when trying to come up with base damage of the attacker I would assume the debuffs would work even before Maim, which is one of the very first forms of mitigation to take effect against an attacker.

If someone wants to test this and show data I would love to put it up here on the thread, cause I can at least do that while I am on the move. Until then I will wait before claiming fact.

Also correct me if I am wrong but when it comes to mobs I have heard that they do not have Spell and Weapon Power but instead just Power, and that a Spell power debuff would still effect a mob with just weapon power/stamina based attacks, be it physical, disease or poison. Again, no solid data on this yet but its what I have heard from people in the game over the years. Would love to know if anyone has more info on either of these things while I am away.
  • Kumbiya
    Kumbiya
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for a very helpful thread
    CP 700+
    Rohuku - Redguard StamDK/Tank & Master Crafter
    Mogubishu - Altmer Warden Healer/Mag DPS
    Ruyanril - Dunmer Magblade
    Treads-Muddy-Waters - Argonian DK Tank

vAA HM/vHRC HM/vSO HM/vMoL/vHoF/vAS/vDSA/vMA
  • Kyreanna
    Kyreanna
    ✭✭
    Hi there,

Kind of late to the thread.
    I got one question though...
    When I use the calculator you linked us,
    my set up gives me 100% damage mitigation!!!
    I mean its impossible, technically aint it?

I know with a normal setup i get to 97% , direct mag/phy attacks
    and was already skeptical but 100%???
    There must be something wrong in the formula you r using or
    there is a hardcap for total passive mitigation....

Either way , let me know , because if your calculator is right,
    then I technically found 100% mitigation w the current CP maximum.

I know the res hardcap is 50% , but other passives can reduce the dmg to
    how much? (technically , it should be between 1-49% extra mitigation on the base value since 100% shouldnt be possible)
    -From dust we are born , to dust we shall return upon death.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kyreanna wrote: »
    Hi there,

Kind of late to the thread.
    I got one question though...
    When I use the calculator you linked us,
    my set up gives me 100% damage mitigation!!!
    I mean its impossible, technically aint it?

I know with a normal setup i get to 97% , direct mag/phy attacks
    and was already skeptical but 100%???
    There must be something wrong in the formula you r using or
    there is a hardcap for total passive mitigation....

Either way , let me know , because if your calculator is right,
    then I technically found 100% mitigation w the current CP maximum.

I know the res hardcap is 50% , but other passives can reduce the dmg to
    how much? (technically , it should be between 1-49% extra mitigation on the base value since 100% shouldnt be possible)

@Kyreanna
    The calculator is known to have some flaws and I will be honest I have not touched it in well over 6 months. Tell me your sources of mitigation though and I would be happy to help you calculate your actual mitigation though, the calculator has flaws but the formula works. Its just that the calculator can't really use it perfectly, yet, might pick it back up, planning on doing some more testing tomorrow actually.
  • Kyreanna
    Kyreanna
    ✭✭
    I wear the Mighty Chudan set and two other full and it gives me the hardcap without spending CP.
    Once you select more then 80 of either Ironclad or Hardy (or thick skinned for DOTS) it raises your mitigation
    to 100%.
    I play the unpopular Stamplar as a Tank , yet it works wonders ! ^^
    I use sword and shield , so basically the passives kicks in , but according to the formula ,
    I could be going barehands it wouldnt chg a thing.
    The basic formula is gd , I think the calculator just doesnt take into account the maximum
    mitigation allowed by the system.
    Also , according to the calculator , if I just reach 96% mitigation, blocking only raises it to 97%,
    basically pointless to block unless you need to soak a cleave or knockback blow.

So the biggest question here is this : what it the true total dmg mit we can obtain?
    Basically , according to the calculator , if I reach Hardcap w my sets and spend my CP
    where I aforementioned, other passive , sets mitigating dungeon mobs dmg r pretty much pointless!

I appreciate your response and hope my input can help clarify a few things ^^
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wear the Mighty Chudan set and two other full and it gives me the hardcap without spending CP.
    Once you select more then 80 of either Ironclad or Hardy (or thick skinned for DOTS) it raises your mitigation
    to 100%.
    I play the unpopular Stamplar as a Tank , yet it works wonders ! ^^
    I use sword and shield , so basically the passives kicks in , but according to the formula ,
    I could be going barehands it wouldnt chg a thing.
    The basic formula is gd , I think the calculator just doesnt take into account the maximum
    mitigation allowed by the system.
    Also , according to the calculator , if I just reach 96% mitigation, blocking only raises it to 97%,
    basically pointless to block unless you need to soak a cleave or knockback blow.

So the biggest question here is this : what it the true total dmg mit we can obtain?
    Basically , according to the calculator , if I reach Hardcap w my sets and spend my CP
    where I aforementioned, other passive , sets mitigating dungeon mobs dmg r pretty much pointless!

I appreciate your response and hope my input can help clarify a few things ^^

@Kyreanna

So as to give you an example, cause for some reason I can't access the calculator. If I were to make a situation where all of the following is applied to me either by someone else or myself:
    • 30% major maim
    • 15% minor maim
    • 30% major protection
    • 8% minor protection
    • 15% major Aegis
    • 5% minor Aegis
    • 6% Nord
    • 33% Vampire
    • 15% hardy
    • 25% Ironclad
    • 20% Standard of Might
    • 30% Guard
    • 50% blocking
    • 10% Dragonknight
    • 20% Sword and Board
    • 50% Resistance
    • 8% defensive posture
    It would give me this formula:

100-100*0.7*0.7*0.85*0.92*0.85*0.95*0.94*0.67*0.85*0.75*0.8*0.7*0.5*0.9*0.8*0.5*0.92=98.847936098

And if I were to take away anything that has to do with blocking it would look like this:

100-100*0.7*0.7*0.85*0.92*0.85*0.95*0.94*0.67*0.85*0.75*0.8*0.7*0.5=96.5215461895

That is a difference of 2.3263899085, not exactly a lot true. BUT many of those things listed have really bad up time and can not be sustained. My point is, there are ways to get insanely high mitigation but its wasted, diminishing returns means we will NEVER hit 100% and what you want to go for is a sustainable mitigation that you can rely upon. And so scrap the calculator and apply the numbers into the formula provided in the OP and you can test your way around it without having to use that broken thing I can't even access to fix atm :tongue: But let me give you a good estimate at least.

You said Resistance capped Stamplar. So lets do this:
    • 50% blocking
    • 20% Sword and Board(passive)
    • 15% Minor Maim(We all use it)
    • 8% Defensive Posture(Why not)
    • 50% Resistance
    • 10% Hardy/Elemental(my recommendation)
    • 19% Thick Skin/Ironclad(my recommendation)
    • 15% Spear Wall/Deflect Bolts(One is for Melee the other is for projectiles and ranged, works out)
    100-100*0.5*0.8*0.85*0.92*0.5*0.9*0.81*0.85=90.308674%

As you can see, you got really high up there without really putting that much effort into it. Really the only effort you have is to keep Minor Maim up, everything else is a passive or blocking, and I mean you will want to block the heavy stuff. But even without blocking you get this:

100-100*0.9*0.85*0.81*0.5=69.0175%

Not great but good enough for the times you miss blocking or simply know you can take it.

I hope this cleared things up for you, its a lot of math but its as simple as it gets.

• Kyreanna
    Kyreanna
    ✭✭
    Hi , thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    I made a sustainable build that gives me 80% mitigation without blocking.
    Be it vs DoT or direct damage.
    It also rises to 90% w blocking , this not including major maim and other buffs /debuffs.

So basically , I maximised my passives to be able to have a lil fun and hit stuff!
    And like everything, cleaves are meant to be blocked , tested it , so high mitigation
    doesnt work too well vs mechanics.

To test that formula of yours, i went into the Cloudrest Trial. (which i wont give details since it aint out).
    I went in w my build, used no buffs , no abilities , simply blocked the cleaves (and didnt dodge or block normal attacks) and waited it out to see how long id last....

Well , lasted 30 seconds bfore dying from too many DoTs on my behind ,
    but saw I managed a sustainable tanky build.(not PVP though , didnt test it there)

So , although the calculator says 100%, I suggest to everyone to use the formula you gaved me,
    it'll give them the reality of things...

P.S : minor Aegis aint worth getting 0.5% aint gonna chg the world anyways! ^^

Tx for the help and cya out there ^^

• hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there a damage calculator too? like how weapon damage and stamina scales?
  • Kyreanna
    Kyreanna
    ✭✭
    From what I can understand there is a similar formula for Total Damage Potency.
    It does work much like dmg mitigation ; meaning buffs dont stack w raw power but with a percentile.
    The only thing I k actually changes the raw attack power is when you are given an effect , such as in some sets
    and glyphs that gives "+300 etc weapon damage"...anything else that includes % is stacked
    into a formula so it aint a "raw" attack boost but rather a slight increase.

I am pretty sure paulsimonps will have a better and more detailed answer on the matter ^^
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    hakan wrote: »

http://esoitem.uesp.net/viewSkills.php

This is the one I use. It shows the formula for each skill, even synergies attached to them. Not sure how correct it is but definitely something.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »

http://esoitem.uesp.net/viewSkills.php

This is the one I use. It shows the formula for each skill, even synergies attached to them. Not sure how correct it is but definitely something.
    It's usually pretty spot-on. If nothing else, it will show the relative potency of one skill vs another.

@Kyreanna another decent testing ground is vet Spindleclutch. Step in there solo, gather up every spider you can right up to and including the first boss. Granted, it's a lot more little hits vs Boss level ones, but it's a resource that's fairly easy to access.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so according to this racial passives gives
    for bosmer 1498 poison resist=%3 less damage
    for dunmer 2079 flame resist=%4 less damage
    for breton 3960 spell resist=%8 less damage
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@hakan
    more like 2.2%, 3.1% and 6%. What is important to know is that while Bretons have higher mitigation from their base spell resist, they lack the immunity of status effects that the other races have. A dunmer has 3% less mitigation through resistance when it comes to fire but you cannot apply burn to a dunmer, you can do that to a Breton however(As long as they don't have fire resistance enchantments). And bosmers and argonian have the least amount of mitigation but they are immune to all stamina based status effects save bleed. which there is no immunity to as far as I know. Mainly cause bleed is not a secondary effect like poison and disease but simply a type of DoT, one that ignores resistance :tongue:
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@hakan
    more like 2.2%, 3.1% and 6%. What is important to know is that while Bretons have higher mitigation from their base spell resist, they lack the immunity of status effects that the other races have. A dunmer has 3% less mitigation through resistance when it comes to fire but you cannot apply burn to a dunmer, you can do that to a Breton however(As long as they don't have fire resistance enchantments). And bosmers and argonian have the least amount of mitigation but they are immune to all stamina based status effects save bleed. which there is no immunity to as far as I know. Mainly cause bleed is not a secondary effect like poison and disease but simply a type of DoT, one that ignores resistance :tongue:

immunity?!? i didnt know that. thats a huge bonus imo
  • Kyreanna
    Kyreanna
    ✭✭
    People also forget that there are other factors to your damage mitigation.
    While it isnt true mitigation in the way of soaking up damage, res regens
    are also part of it.

Take for example :
    Stamplar , lets say total passive mitigation 81% , that's without buffs/abilities/blocking.
    Then you can either cope with the 19% left w many options.

1/You can have a huge amount of health regen , which basically helps recovering
    from whatever dmg amount went through.

i.e: let's say you take bout 1.5k of dmg after each passing second in a fight w your mitigation,
    if you have said regen at 1.5k and over, you basically "mitigated" (yes not in the raw term i k , but still vital)
    the entire damage thrown at you.While it is'nt instant , your health wont drop below a certain point since
    you recover whatever is done to you.

Being a Stamplar, you also have an extra regen to your disposal (and debuff) in the form of either
    rite of retribution or extended ritual.One is more defense oriented while the other one also
    generates hate and a lil bit of dmg to all mobs within reach.(sweet)
    It is a highly unpopular approach , but one that almost ensures your survival without any outside help.
    (which is a blessing for healers since they can focus on DD's or DPS a little)

It also really puts emphasis on the real Tank role ; that most people seemed to have forgotten : They r meant to soak dmg, taunt and position mobs.Damage you say? Well that's the DD's job , your input is only the icing on the cake
    and should'nt be a requirement.

Far too often I go w randoms in dungeons and the Tank's made of cardboard , dishes out decent DPS
    but constantly runs around and runs short of res vital to his dmg mitigation.

2/You have the high Magicka or Stamina regen approach , which in and of themselves are good ,
    but burns your said res to keep up w self-healing/shielding/buffing/attacking etc.
    While not bad , remember you also use those res to attack , taunt etc....
    In many cases you will run empty , either because you need to cleanse yourself/heal or taunt foes.
    Most times when a tank dies (not on the hlr's part) , its simply because he either ran out of res
    to mitigate dmg or used them to attack at the expense of taking blows.

And yes I k , people will say it is'nt necessary(to have high HP regen) if in a preformed group , but lets be realistic here :
    how many times do you have people w ya with the right set up for your character? I'll bet its almost never.

I have a 81% dmg mitigation (passive) and a health regen of 2400.
    That's without potions, other player's buffs or using any abilities.

So what bout my stam regen , r?
    Well its at 1100, gd enough to keep up w even a long fight and since
    "weaving" will be far more important in Summerset then right now ,
    regenerating Stam will be fairly easy to achieve in a fight.

So take all of the aspects of what is available to you (there r so many ways to be a gd tank)
    and a BIS build is only optimal when with like-minded people with like-minded synched sets.
    Remember also that effects and boons from sets usually (most) don't stack at all...
    So having two tanks wearing the Ebony set in a trial is useless...(unless you always r separated)
    And if 1k of health is what it takes for you to clear or survive a trial then there is
    something wrong in your build or your party's healers.

*I apologize for disgressing from the original posts , but thought it was important to point out
    some facts people tend to ignore or are unaware of ^^

Thanks for bearing with me! lol

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People also forget that there are other factors to your damage mitigation.
    While it isnt true mitigation in the way of soaking up damage, res regens
    are also part of it.

Take for example :
    Stamplar , lets say total passive mitigation 81% , that's without buffs/abilities/blocking.
    Then you can either cope with the 19% left w many options.

1/You can have a huge amount of health regen , which basically helps recovering
    from whatever dmg amount went through.

i.e: let's say you take bout 1.5k of dmg after each passing second in a fight w your mitigation,
    if you have said regen at 1.5k and over, you basically "mitigated" (yes not in the raw term i k , but still vital)
    the entire damage thrown at you.While it is'nt instant , your health wont drop below a certain point since
    you recover whatever is done to you.

Being a Stamplar, you also have an extra regen to your disposal (and debuff) in the form of either
    rite of retribution or extended ritual.One is more defense oriented while the other one also
    generates hate and a lil bit of dmg to all mobs within reach.(sweet)
    It is a highly unpopular approach , but one that almost ensures your survival without any outside help.
    (which is a blessing for healers since they can focus on DD's or DPS a little)

It also really puts emphasis on the real Tank role ; that most people seemed to have forgotten : They r meant to soak dmg, taunt and position mobs.Damage you say? Well that's the DD's job , your input is only the icing on the cake
    and should'nt be a requirement.

Far too often I go w randoms in dungeons and the Tank's made of cardboard , dishes out decent DPS
    but constantly runs around and runs short of res vital to his dmg mitigation.

2/You have the high Magicka or Stamina regen approach , which in and of themselves are good ,
    but burns your said res to keep up w self-healing/shielding/buffing/attacking etc.
    While not bad , remember you also use those res to attack , taunt etc....
    In many cases you will run empty , either because you need to cleanse yourself/heal or taunt foes.
    Most times when a tank dies (not on the hlr's part) , its simply because he either ran out of res
    to mitigate dmg or used them to attack at the expense of taking blows.

And yes I k , people will say it is'nt necessary(to have high HP regen) if in a preformed group , but lets be realistic here :
    how many times do you have people w ya with the right set up for your character? I'll bet its almost never.

I have a 81% dmg mitigation (passive) and a health regen of 2400.
    That's without potions, other player's buffs or using any abilities.

So what bout my stam regen , r?
    Well its at 1100, gd enough to keep up w even a long fight and since
    "weaving" will be far more important in Summerset then right now ,
    regenerating Stam will be fairly easy to achieve in a fight.

So take all of the aspects of what is available to you (there r so many ways to be a gd tank)
    and a BIS build is only optimal when with like-minded people with like-minded synched sets.
    Remember also that effects and boons from sets usually (most) don't stack at all...
    So having two tanks wearing the Ebony set in a trial is useless...(unless you always r separated)
    And if 1k of health is what it takes for you to clear or survive a trial then there is
    something wrong in your build or your party's healers.

*I apologize for disgressing from the original posts , but thought it was important to point out
    some facts people tend to ignore or are unaware of ^^

Thanks for bearing with me! lol

I will take the healing from a healer or my self heals any day of the week over health regen. Health regen was for a time really powerful in PvP but that was nerfed. In PvE its always been really bad. It takes a lot of effort to get health regen up to a point where it is useful, considering regen only ticks every 2s and you can take damage way more and often than that, I mean even they only counted the hits that occurred with each possible blocking tick. which they don't, that is 8 ticks per 1 health regen tick.

What you are referring to is having HPS out pars enemy DPS on you, there are better and more efficient ways to do this than health regen. I get your point though, if you pug dungeons in a certain way then yes it can be a viable option, but I never build for the worst case scenario, better to build for them being somewhat decent rather than building for my teammates being utterly useless.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been under the mindset that HReg is rarely going to be the difference between living and dying.

If you're not in danger (50%+ health remaining), HR still effectively doesn't matter because you're not in danger.
    If you're that down to the wire, you can choose other skills/options to recover.
    If you don't have the option of other skills at that point (resources are dry), you're done.
    It's never going to help with the big hits, and it's going to counter such a small amount of incoming damage, it effectively may as well not even be there.

It's not going to ever be enough to do the trick when you really need it, because, in those circumstances, you usually don't have the luxury of waiting two more seconds for an HR tick. (And when you do have that luxury, you don't need that HR tick.)

Not entirely sure why they bother having the stat in the game at all, tbh.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 17, 2018 8:02PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Kyreanna
    Kyreanna
    ✭✭
    Granted, in an ideal situation, health regen should not be a factor.
    However, I cannot recall how many times I had to rely on self-heal or
    this very regen to keep myself "afloat" in a dungeon w p/u. lol

It seems either healers forgot that their main job is to heal or at the very least
    keep you buffed.That too , just like Tanks nowadays, they prefer dealing dmg
    than what their job requires. (sic)
    I understand (playing both hlr and tank) that it aint the most glorious of jobs,
    especially since when you clear a particularly hard instance the merit will go
    to the DD's , especially if they "scored" pretty high.
    On the other hand, if such instance was barely cleared, the blame is sure to fall on either Tank or Healer
    first, then DD's.

So , yeah , I prefer to be self-reliant, while it might not be the optimal build for Dmg Mit + Att + Versatility,
    unless the player base changes , ill rely on on my build.
    So at least , when I clear a dungeon I can say to myself : " didnt die , did my job , to hell
    with high points , biggest dps or showmanship!" ^^

But I can see that all your points are valid and still shows that for now ,
    unless people start caring bout the job they do , no unique BIS build is
    gonna save your behind from utter stupidity : be it a high regen build or
    a high dmg mit/self-heal build. ^^

So really to all out there , use whatever works for you and your team.
    You r a tank , you have your res capped and use a non standard build?
    Why not? If it works and you are not struggling to clear any instance,
    I'd say go for it.I never kicked anyone for using a non-meta build since
    gears are only half the value of a player in a dungeon.
    Reactivity,adaptation and cooperation , these are even more important
    to be a great player.
    You can dish out 55k dps , great but do you do your required mechanics?
    Sometimes , id rather have two average DD's that k their mechanics , skills
    and are proactive rather then having a super DD that only cares bout pulling numbers. ^^

All of you have been helpful in making Damage mitigation and related issues to
    be better understood.I saw many venues on how to achieve a better understanding
    of the basic mechanics in general and hopefully people will learn to play their jobs
    and enjoy it in the process.

Thanks for caring bout the topic and sharing your opinions.
    No opinion is to be disregarded and only with the many can
    we see the bigger picture.

Cheers! ^^
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    up. honestly, this thread should be fixed. we need more threads like this
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    up. honestly, this thread should be fixed. we need more threads like this

Planning on, as soon as I get enough time of from work, to update the thread for summerset. Almost everything is still up to date but some are not. Mainly the resistance parts. If anyone got up to date info on all the different sources of resistance and want to help me out I would appreciate the help. Want to redo my testing concerning guard to still see if its the same, and will be doing a big dev feedback bit on it if it is.

Side note, done some light testing on the weakening enchantment, can confirm that it so far goes before anything else in the formula, even maim. Would assume even stuff like vulnerability would be after it all things considered, its not applied on you but the enemy and technically doesn't go in the mitigation formula but the attackers damage calculations. Which to be fair are in the long run part of the damage taken bit, but I digress.

Updates coming soon for those that enjoy this and new testing and data from me coming and hopefully some help from y'all if people got the time.