The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Damage Mitigation: Explanation UPDATED 21/03/2021

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Knightmare is a highly under rated tanking set as nothing else applies aoe maim. Unfortunately this does nothing for single targets, but it's the great for neutralizing groups.

Dragonknights, Draconic Power Skill line, Dark Talons, Morphed to Choking Talons:

"Call forth Talons from the ground to deal Physical Damage and immobilize nearby enemies for 4 seconds. Talons also afflict enemies with Minor Maim, reducing their damage by 15% for 7 seconds"

Its one of many reason why Dragonknights are Meta Tanks. They have things most classes have to use 5 piece sets to get. Same thing with DK's AoE interrupt and their quick chains.

Also the new warden will be able to deal out AoE Minor Maim with their Cold Damage, When enemies get chilled they get minor maim. Obviously not as effective as Talons but its something at least.

EDIT: Also while not commonly used, the Deep Slash morph of Low Slash deals Minor Maim on 3 targets rather than just one, so technically an AoE Minor Main.

Never use low slash since I use shades, forgot about the morph. If anything I think frost damage is far more effective than talons if you take range into consideration.

Yea but DK's chain everything in, and the 100% chance with ability use is far superior over a proc chance like that of Chilled. Also the chance for Chilled to proc is not that high, sure its higher for Wardens but AoE's and DoTs have a much lower chance than Single target skills. Also in my opinion for a NB Tank Heroic Slash, one of the morphes for Low Slash, is superior to Shades, only upside of Shades is that it costs magicka. One of the many bonuses that NB's have is high ulti generation and with Minor Heroism its increased even further. Make it a NB Argonian Tank and you have great ulti gen and great sustain with the use of the potions. A really strong combination that, as well as extra Hp and healing done/received.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knightmare is a highly under rated tanking set as nothing else applies aoe maim. Unfortunately this does nothing for single targets, but it's the great for neutralizing groups.

Dragonknights, Draconic Power Skill line, Dark Talons, Morphed to Choking Talons:

"Call forth Talons from the ground to deal Physical Damage and immobilize nearby enemies for 4 seconds. Talons also afflict enemies with Minor Maim, reducing their damage by 15% for 7 seconds"

Its one of many reason why Dragonknights are Meta Tanks. They have things most classes have to use 5 piece sets to get. Same thing with DK's AoE interrupt and their quick chains.

Also the new warden will be able to deal out AoE Minor Maim with their Cold Damage, When enemies get chilled they get minor maim. Obviously not as effective as Talons but its something at least.

EDIT: Also while not commonly used, the Deep Slash morph of Low Slash deals Minor Maim on 3 targets rather than just one, so technically an AoE Minor Main.

Never use low slash since I use shades, forgot about the morph. If anything I think frost damage is far more effective than talons if you take range into consideration.

Yea but DK's chain everything in, and the 100% chance with ability use is far superior over a proc chance like that of Chilled. Also the chance for Chilled to proc is not that high, sure its higher for Wardens but AoE's and DoTs have a much lower chance than Single target skills. Also in my opinion for a NB Tank Heroic Slash, one of the morphes for Low Slash, is superior to Shades, only upside of Shades is that it costs magicka. One of the many bonuses that NB's have is high ulti generation and with Minor Heroism its increased even further. Make it a NB Argonian Tank and you have great ulti gen and great sustain with the use of the potions. A really strong combination that, as well as extra Hp and healing done/received.

lol yeah I know I'm an argonian nb. I backbar shades because fire and forget maim for 21 sec plus passive trigger > slash, the ult gen is too low to justify the slot. Big advantage of knightmare over talons is that you can keep it up just using piercing strike/regular attacks basically for free.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

lol yeah I know I'm an argonian nb. I backbar shades because fire and forget maim for 21 sec plus passive trigger > slash, the ult gen is too low to justify the slot. Big advantage of knightmare over talons is that you can keep it up just using piercing strike/regular attacks basically for free.

Yea but you lose other much better sets. Like I said, you are using a 5p set to do something a DK can do with an ability that not only does the same but Immobilizes targets for 4s. You can then slot another set for additional buffs/debuffs or utility. Also the ulti gen is like one of the biggest reasons to go NB so not going with the Minor Heroism is a lost opportunity. You are literally nerfing yourself by not running it. over a 1min period its the difference between 180 ultimate and 220 ultimate, its 40 extra ultimate per minute. And that is not counting how strong their ulti gen is if you have decisive. 20% chance every time you get an ultimate to get 1 additional. Combine, base ulti gen, minor heroism, catalyst passive, transfer passive and synergizer CP passive and you are getting A LOT of ultimate. Throw in some sets that give ultimate too or lowers cost and you can pop any ultimate really really fast. And with the new sets coming out that gives either Major Slayer or Major Aegis when you use an ultimate this is going to be really useful. So no Minor Heroism is not too low, its very much so worth it, especially for a NB.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol 40 ult a minute, I don't use it because it's negligible. Invigorating drain is the best way to gain ult.

Decisive adds almost nothing and is on par with prosperous. It has the highest return on the worst ult skills with the lowest potential.
    Edited by WalksonGraves on April 28, 2017 10:58PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lol 40 ult a minute, I don't use it because it's negligible. Invigorating drain is the best way to gain ult.

......... You don't seem to be getting it so not gonna respond to this line of topic any more.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭

......... You don't seem to be getting it so not gonna respond to this line of topic any more.

Oh I get it, I've just done the math. Decisive is beyond garbage you are looking at less than 1% increase.

You want to generate a ton of ult run glory and tavas with mirage.
    Edited by WalksonGraves on April 29, 2017 1:03AM
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I get it, I've just done the math. Decisive is beyond garbage you are looking at less than 1% increase.

You want to generate a ton of ult run glory and tavas with mirage.

this is correct. If you want to supplement, go w/shield on back buff bar and do heroic slash. If going this route, your group will love aggressive war horn.

I would move aggressive to back buff bar and soul harvest on main bar. You will gain more ultimate with this setup than with decisive. That leaves you with better traits to tank with.
    Edited by PS4_ZeColmeia on April 30, 2017 12:02PM
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post thank you for all this info. All that detail on shields and mitigation, does it mean that if you have a shield up and it gets broken by a strong attack then the overflow damage is taken unmitigated or does mitigation and block start mitigating it? Because it it gets taken unmitigated then small shields on tanks which get broken easily essentially nerf your ability to take damage?
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Awesome post thank you for all this info. All that detail on shields and mitigation, does it mean that if you have a shield up and it gets broken by a strong attack then the overflow damage is taken unmitigated or does mitigation and block start mitigating it? Because it it gets taken unmitigated then small shields on tanks which get broken easily essentially nerf your ability to take damage?

Damage that is left after wards drop gets mitigated, by everything that is listed after damage sheilds . It is that simple.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 15, 2017 11:39AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Damage that is left after wards drop gets mitigated, by everything that is listed after damage sheilds . It is that simple.

@LMar Like @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO said, anything that overflows from a depleted shield can and will be mitigated by any of the mitigation sources listed as "After Damage shield" in the list of mitigation sources. If you have said source equipped/slotted/etc. of course.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@LMar Like @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO said, anything that overflows from a depleted shield can and will be mitigated by any of the mitigation sources listed as "After Damage shield" in the list of mitigation sources. If you have said source equipped/slotted/etc. of course.

Ok awesome thank you both :)
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If somebody wants to play around with numbers more freely, the damage mitigation (armor/block) formula is implemented on my website as a calculator: https://www.dargusmaximus.pro/tanking/
    You can also find there a block cost calculator.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If somebody wants to play around with numbers more freely, the damage mitigation (armor/block) formula is implemented on my website as a calculator: https://www.dargusmaximus.pro/tanking/

I like it, but when I try and select s&b 2 it keeps going to ancient knowledge 2.

If there's no hardcap on dr according to this I can hit 96% blocking in bolstering darkness.
    Edited by WalksonGraves on May 19, 2017 3:33PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Been doing some testing and found out something interesting. So in general AoEDoT abilities are not blockable, with exception of certain abilities like Endless hail and Arrow Barrage.

But I noticed this, AoE"DoT"'s that had their damage dealt every other second rather than every second did not count as DoT but instead as Direct AoE ability. An example of such a case is Dual Wields Blade Cloak, it only deals damage every 3rd seconds and as such counts as Direct Damage. This was further verified by the fact that Blade Cloak alone could proc Selene's Monster set, which states that it can only proc on Direct melee Damage.

So I think its weird that these abilities that act like AoEDoT's are not treated like AoEDoTs but rather Direct AoE's that happen periodically, if that makes sense.

Also, I saw the link that Dargus posted and I really liked that tool he used for the calculator, however I found the actual calculator lacking. So I took some time and made my own.

https://jscalc.io/calc/fiasVNPSGsOdmsF6

Its not done yet but it has most things. Its this that made me want to test these abilities. I also tested Empowering Sweep more and found some new things there too. I will update this post properly after Monday and I will be keeping this calculator updated and I will be improving on it a lot in the weeks to come. So if it doesn't work for some reason when you click the link it might be cause I am working on it. But when I am not working on it it should be working just fine.

Note! I made the calculator in such away that it hides things that does not apply to the situation that you have selected, so you can't see mitigation that is for AoE Dmg only if you have selected to test your mitigation against Direct Dmg.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This thing is amazing , so detailed and useful . Thanks for effort :)
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Updated the thread with new info and added the calculator in the OP, its been updated btw, and as I said in new OP, its still work in progress so let me know if you find anything that is off or needs adding or changing. Thank you all for helping me with all of this and if you do any testing of your own that shows some interesting info about damage mitigation please let us all know here.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome calc. Thx paul
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, but when I try and select s&b 2 it keeps going to ancient knowledge 2.

If there's no hardcap on dr according to this I can hit 96% blocking in bolstering darkness.

Yeah something is glitching out there, but i did a reset on backend and it should now allow to pick s&b 2/2 @WalksonGraves
    Edited by Rinmaethodain on May 24, 2017 11:45AM
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! I'm gonna have to go through this at home, rather than at work.
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah something is glitching out there, but i did a reset on backend and it should now allow to pick s&b 2/2 @WalksonGraves

You sure there is no cap on dr? according to this I should be able to reduce 100k down to 1.8k, which is kind of hard to figure out in game because things either don't hit anywhere near that hard or use that *** insta kill mechanic to bypass your armor for comically high damage. So frustrating having to wait 2 weeks to test anything myself.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You sure there is no cap on dr? according to this I should be able to reduce 100k down to 1.8k, which is kind of hard to figure out in game because things either don't hit anywhere near that hard or use that *** insta kill mechanic to bypass your armor for comically high damage. So frustrating having to wait 2 weeks to test anything myself.

There is no Cap on damage reduction since its not necessary, the diminishing returns and the fact that it can never hit 100% makes it so. Sure you can get up to 99% mitigation, but you won't be able to keep that up for very long at all. And something, like the insta kill mechnics ignore mitigation. 3rd boss of vAA is an example to that or Rakkath if you fail back team, or other similar things. Its possible to keep 92% or higher up consistently but you are having to really build for it.
  • Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this right... the Warden is going to get:
    Major maim, minor maim through frost damage, major protection, minor protection, and minor evasion.. all on top of minor toughness, and major mending? (This isn't all of their available buffs by the way...)

You've got to be kidding me. They've taken Major Mending away from the Templar and gave stuff to the Warden that the Templar should have had in the first place. The Warden is going to be the Best Tank and Healer by far.

Their heals are instant and they buff teammates up tremendously without even having set bonuses, unlike the Templar whose heals cost a *** ton and we've even got a garbage cast time heal when they get instants. All the Warden needs is a Major Evasion set from Spectres Eye or Hist Bark and they will be the best tank in the whole game. They get every single defensive buff there is except Major Evasion which is easy to acquire!

They can give their whole group Major and Minor Resolve with 1 ability! How is this even real? Zenimax do you not realize how damn bad the Templar is in comparison? The Templar sorely needs to be redesigned from the ground up. This just isn't right. It's not balanced at all. An mmo always has ups and downs with classes but the Templar has been the worst class since this game began! All because of their healing tree and your ridiculous vision for what a Templar is supposed to be. But lookout the Warden is more than viable in all 3 roles and excels in 2 out of 3 of those roles.

How can you sit back and agree that this is ok or fair? Plus you give them a spammable AoE immobilize that scales with max health! Templars have been begging for an AoE CC since you took Blinding Flashes away from us and you have constantly turned aside and given us nothing! It's not right! You've nerfed our single target CC down to just Javelin! Taken away unique synergies and gave it everyone! That's all we have left! Toppling charge is so buggy no one even uses it! What is your problem Zenimax?

You're metrics are either terrible or you are simply ignoring the fact that Templars are THE worst designed class in video game history. A "Major Failure" buff applied on your part as a company to even let something like this pass by, especially as long as it has. I can't believe I even came back to this game hoping you would finally make things right. Templars suck.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arbitrator wrote: »
    Templars suck.

Tbh this was a correct comment. This guy doesn't approach from nerf-side, but his comment is about Templars are weak, and just brings Warden for comparison. While I dunno if he has right or not, this was a respectful comment. I just fear ZOS nerfs Warden instead buffing Templars.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars suck.

Tbh this was a correct comment. This guy doesn't approach from nerf-side, but his comment is about Templars are weak, and just brings Warden for comparison. While I dunno if he has right or not, this was a respectful comment. I just fear ZOS nerfs Warden instead buffing Templars.

I kill them just fine. Dk/sorc still top threat. The 7k viper procs in nCP will be nerfed before wardens lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Major maim, minor maim through frost damage, major protection, minor protection, and minor evasion.. all on top of minor toughness, and major mending? (This isn't all of their available buffs by the way...)

You've got to be kidding me. They've taken Major Mending away from the Templar and gave stuff to the Warden that the Templar should have had in the first place. The Warden is going to be the Best Tank and Healer by far.

Their heals are instant and they buff teammates up tremendously without even having set bonuses, unlike the Templar whose heals cost a *** ton and we've even got a garbage cast time heal when they get instants. All the Warden needs is a Major Evasion set from Spectres Eye or Hist Bark and they will be the best tank in the whole game. They get every single defensive buff there is except Major Evasion which is easy to acquire!

They can give their whole group Major and Minor Resolve with 1 ability! How is this even real? Zenimax do you not realize how damn bad the Templar is in comparison? The Templar sorely needs to be redesigned from the ground up. This just isn't right. It's not balanced at all. An mmo always has ups and downs with classes but the Templar has been the worst class since this game began! All because of their healing tree and your ridiculous vision for what a Templar is supposed to be. But lookout the Warden is more than viable in all 3 roles and excels in 2 out of 3 of those roles.

How can you sit back and agree that this is ok or fair? Plus you give them a spammable AoE immobilize that scales with max health! Templars have been begging for an AoE CC since you took Blinding Flashes away from us and you have constantly turned aside and given us nothing! It's not right! You've nerfed our single target CC down to just Javelin! Taken away unique synergies and gave it everyone! That's all we have left! Toppling charge is so buggy no one even uses it! What is your problem Zenimax?

You're metrics are either terrible or you are simply ignoring the fact that Templars are THE worst designed class in video game history. A "Major Failure" buff applied on your part as a company to even let something like this pass by, especially as long as it has. I can't believe I even came back to this game hoping you would finally make things right. Templars suck.

If you want to complain about how bad templars are/how good wardens are, in your opinion, then do that in your own thread. This is not a QQ thread, and I don't want it to go off topic.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calculator is missing Infused Weakening Enchantment debuff and mending set (healing mage) debuff.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    Calculator is missing Infused Weakening Enchantment debuff and mending set (healing mage) debuff.

Sorry but I can't implement that without knowing how much of other stats and which ability it is that is damaging the player. They lower weapon damage/spell power, but for example in PvP when applied to another player it will lower damage in a different amount for each type of ability, not all abilities scale the same. And I would assume it would not be the same value for mob attacks either. Which is why I can't add it. If I had the people willing to help me with testing it more on mobs I would at least try it on the Vet Trial bosses, but as it is I will not be adding it.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but I can't implement that without knowing how much of other stats and which ability it is that is damaging the player. They lower weapon damage/spell power, but for example in PvP when applied to another player it will lower damage in a different amount for each type of ability, not all abilities scale the same. And I would assume it would not be the same value for mob attacks either. Which is why I can't add it. If I had the people willing to help me with testing it more on mobs I would at least try it on the Vet Trial bosses, but as it is I will not be adding it.

According to my tests, damage done by normal monsters (all types of damage) was reduced by 36% by infused weakening alone. Need to test mending set and they both stack.
  • Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭

If you want to complain about how bad templars are/how good wardens are, in your opinion, then do that in your own thread. This is not a QQ thread, and I don't want it to go off topic.

First of all, your topic includes which buffs are present and how they coincide with mitigation. My starting sentence, if you read, speaks about how wardens pretty much get all the defensive buffs making them much better suited for tanking than any other class. My statements after that are just reinforcing the fact that wardens have better mitigation before damage shield, which goes hand in hand with your post.

Second of all, I am not anywhere near going off topic (other than this post because I had to set you straight since you tried to call me out) because I am talking about what your thread is talking about, which is damage before mitigation.

Lastly, I don't know why you picked solely my comment to claim I was off topic when there are other comments before mine that aren't even talking about mitigation. Maybe its because I was comparing mitigation between 2 classes, on a thread that talks about mitigation...
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

According to my tests, damage done by normal monsters (all types of damage) was reduced by 36% by infused weakening alone. Need to test mending set and they both stack.

Was that test done with no other source of mitigation and comparing it to the monsters base damage with no mitigation at all?