The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ultimate Icon Strobing Bug Causing Headaches

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Bug: When a player has a passive or gear set that reduces the cost of ultimate abilities (such as "Power Stone" from the Daedric Summoning skill line), the ultimate icon that appears on the bottom of the screen will strobe.

The strobing occurs when the ultimate is 1) charged for use, but 2) has not yet reached the number of its original cost. This means that any sets, skills, or passives that reduce ultimate cost are causing the strobing to happen.

Example: The Summon Storm Atronach skill costs 200 ultimate to charge. With the "Power Stone" passive that cost is reduced to 170 ultimate to charge. During the time that the ultimate number is between 170 and 200, the strobing/flashing/blinking occurs.

The reason I bring this up is that the strobing of the ultimate icon is causing me headaches. I went through a character respec on my sorcerer and templar to remove the cost reduction passives (no more headaches) but now I'm missing out on two nice passives. Just bringing this issue up in hopes that it's something that can be fixed. Thanks.

Edit: This is also a problem with the vampire ultimate during cost reduction stages.
Edited by GrumpyDuckling on May 9, 2018 3:56AM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    This tag may work better. Sorry about your luck.
    PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
    Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the report, @GrumpyDuckling, and we're sorry to hear about the headaches it's causing. We'll pass this along for investigation. May we get a few more details?

When did this issue begin?
    What platform are you playing on?
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • ginoboehm
    ginoboehm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, @GrumpyDuckling, and we're sorry to hear about the headaches it's causing. We'll pass this along for investigation. May we get a few more details?

i just tested it exactly with what op provided you should have no issues replicating it. have you tested it?
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I first noticed the issue after the Thieves Guild patch. Xbox One.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi Jessica,

Just checking up with you to see if you know the status of this bug. I noticed that unfortunately it wasn't fixed in the last Xbox patch.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom any chance this is going to be fixed in update 12?
  • wolfxspice
    wolfxspice
    ✭✭✭
    i'v noticed this to, it would be nice if they fixed it
    I'm a casual now
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about how the monster shoulders visibly float off your shoulder?? Anyone??? Am i right??
    Its so aesthetically displeasing.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »
    What about how the monster shoulders visibly float off your shoulder?? Anyone??? Am i right??

I don't get it.
  • Farmerr
    Farmerr
    ✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »

I think it's the shoulder armor/Pauldrons? Usually it's not visibly connected to any other piece of armor and just suspended in air. Might be needed to show it moving when the character moves though.

I just wear the costumes we got with leveling so I don't have to spend 5 min. at a dye station every time I get a new piece of armor. Never minded it if that's the issue.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Hi Jessica,

It has been 8 months since you sent this bug along for investigation. Unfortunately it's still not fixed. Any update on how the investigation is going?

I have posted about this multiple times over the past few months in the Bug Report section of the forums. Here is all of the info again:

Bug: When a player has a passive ability or gear set that reduces the cost of ultimate abilities (such as "Power Stone" from the Daedric Summoning skill line or the Akaviri Dragonguard set), the ultimate icon rapidly flashes on and off when generating ultimate during the window of that reduction.

The bug occurs under this condition:
    The ultimate is charged for use, but has not yet reached the number of its original cost.

Example: The Summon Storm Atronach skill has an original cost of 200 ultimate to charge. With the "Power Stone" passive that cost is reduced to 170 ultimate to charge. During the time that the ultimate number is between 170 and 200, the flashing occurs.

Note: This bug also appears in the later stages (ranks, 2, 3 and 4) of the Vampire ultimate, while the player receives ultimate cost reduction, and is especially noticeable for longer periods of time when the character's vampire is in vampirism stages 2, 3, or 4.

Platform: Xbox One
    Server: North America
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Xbox EU the only ultimate I have noticed with is spell wall and only noticed it today. It could be I was just more observant today but yeah it does get annoying when it's in the corner of your eye.
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bug: When a player has a passive or gear set that reduces the cost of ultimate abilities (such as "Power Stone" from the Daedric Summoning skill line), the ultimate icon that appears on the bottom of the screen will strobe/flash/blink.

The strobing/flashing/blinking occurs when the ultimate is 1) charged for use, but 2) has not yet reached the number of its original cost.

Example: The Summon Storm Atronach skill costs 200 ultimate to charge. With the "Power Stone" passive that cost is reduced to 170 ultimate to charge. During the time that the ultimate number is between 170 and 200, the strobing/flashing/blinking occurs.

The reason I bring this up is that the strobing of the ultimate icon is causing me headaches. I went through a character respec on my sorcerer and templar to remove the cost reduction passives (no more headaches) but now I'm missing out on two nice passives. Just bringing this issue up in hopes that it's something that can be fixed. Thanks.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

You think that's bad? Haha, can be annoying but try doing a trial with all magic DD's! There's enough elemental fury's to give someone epilepsy!

Edited by Valykc on March 6, 2017 1:45PM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Any chance we could get an update on this?
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Hi @GrumpyDuckling! Yes, we saw that you bumped this thread on Monday and circled back with our Dev and QA teams to get a status update (thank you for doing so.) We still have an open bug in for this, and it is not working as intended. The team is still working on a reliable fix. The issue has a lot of different variables including multiple Ultimate cost reduction sets, enchants, passives, etc. and as a result is a bit more complex than we originally thought, so the fix is still a ways out. We haven't forgotten about it, though.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhhh, and yea not getting a sharpened 2h MA weapon or any amperplasm sharp 1h's or any BSW 1h's or sharp staff is def giving me a massive headache as well...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Starless06
    Starless06
    ✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this up up. It's very annoying. I had no idea it was tied to the cost reduction passive. I haven't gotten a headache from it, but I find it very distracting when this occurs.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Hi @GrumpyDuckling! Yes, we saw that you bumped this thread on Monday and circled back with our Dev and QA teams to get a status update (thank you for doing so.) We still have an open bug in for this, and it is not working as intended. The team is still working on a reliable fix. The issue has a lot of different variables including multiple Ultimate cost reduction sets, enchants, passives, etc. and as a result is a bit more complex than we originally thought, so the fix is still a ways out. We haven't forgotten about it, though.

Thanks for the response, Jessica, I really appreciate it!
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Any word on if this might be fixed for Morrowind? (Fingers crossed).
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping this might get a fix for Clockwork City. Fingers crossed!
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a fix in the works that might be coming any time soon?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom

• GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has been about 20 months since I originally posted this bug. Any update since the one from 11 months ago that said it was still an open bug?
  • Sektion67
    Sektion67
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this is clearly a very low priority item considering the history of this thread. I know people can be really sensitive to these type of graphical glitches, hopefully they get it fixed this year.

I feel bad for the poor programmer that's been working on this fix for the past 2 years! lol. :smile:
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 2:43AM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Is it still causing you headaches? Hopefully not.

I usually just avoid Templar or Sorcerer (or like in the past, I don't invest in the passives that cause the problem). I also won't wear Akaviri Dragonguard, Blessing of Potentates, Salvation, or Alteration Mastery, nor will I use the vampire bats ultimate because it gets an ultimate cost reduction and strobes after stage 1.

I played for a bit with a piece of cardboard on the screen to cover the ultimate slot, but I have sort of just given up until I get the itch to play Sorcerer and bring this thread back up.
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    It's on ps4 na also didn't see anyone say that so there
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're getting close to 2 years on this. Any chance it will get fixed soon?
  • ArpamiesFin
    ArpamiesFin
    ✭✭✭
    Soon
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug has been happening to me for a while now also. I'm on Xbox NA btw.
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    nerf ping please
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Is there still an open bug for this?