The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

HA VS LA

frozywozy
frozywozy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
First of all, I would like to say that I'm pretty satisfied of the new class balances announced in the DB PTS Natch potes. I've decided to open this debate on Heavy Armor vs Light Armor because in my opinion, heavy armor should have always been about tanking physical damage while light armor should be for tanking spell damage.

It looks like we are going in the direction where both Light Armor and Heavy Armor can tank all forms of damage. I don't like this. With the actual CP cap and the incoming raise to 552, we are creating juggernauts.

In my opinion, LA users should be very squishy against physical damage and HA users should be very squishy against spell damage.

Discuss
Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
Frosted - Magplar - AR50
Frodn - Magden - AR50
Warmed - Magblade - AR50
Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
  • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
  • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
  • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
  • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
  • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
  • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
  • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
  • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
  • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
  • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
  • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
  • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
  • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
  • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
  • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
  • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
  • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
  • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
  • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
  • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
  • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
  • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
  • Introduce dynamic population
  • Lower population cap by 20%
  • Add Snare Immunity potions
  • Bring resurrection sickness
  • Fix character desync
  • Fix cc breaking bug
  • Fix gap closer bug
  • Fix health desync
  • Fix combat bug
  • Fix streak bug
  • Fix server lag
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres my thoughts:

1) Light armor should boost the effectivness of your spells, offer magicka dmg penetration, and magicka regen. This will boost the offensive while allowing magicka to help boost shields for a defense against one-hit wonders but not sustain dmg mitigation.

2) Heavy armor should boost the defense of your character against all attacks, add an increase in dmg via hit mechanics (building rage as a reason), return regen via hit mechanics, and boost the health/healing received.

Conclusion:
    Light armor should not tank if containing easy to use offensive passives. But it should boost magicka based spell/skill defenses to allow builds to help stop "one-shotting"
    Edited by Minno on April 26, 2016 4:15PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Heres my thoughts:

1) Light armor should boost the effectivness of your spells, offer magicka dmg penetration, and magicka regen. This will boost the offensive while allowing magicka to help boost shields for a defense against one-hit wonders but not sustain dmg mitigation.

2) Heavy armor should boost the defense of your character against all attacks, add an increase in dmg via hit mechanics (building rage as a reason), return regen via hit mechanics, and boost the health/healing received.

Conclusion:
    Light armor should not tank if containing easy to use offensive passives. But it should boost magicka based spell/skill defenses to allow builds to not help stop "one-shotting"

Agreed!

My only change to this is....as in all past TES games:

Heavy Armor should effect movement speed

The more your wearing the slower your toon moves...0.5% movement speed penalty per piece of heavy armor sounds about right.

This means wearing 7 pieces of heavy armor you will move 3.5% slower then someone in Light or Medium...i think thats a fair trade off for what boosts Heavy Armor has gotten.

Heavy Armor didn't just get a mitigation boost(which it needed) it got a huge DPS and resource regen boost as well...its going to be the go to for most classes now.
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on April 26, 2016 4:11PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres my thoughts:

Conclusion:
    Light armor should not tank if containing easy to use offensive passives. But it should boost magicka based spell/skill defenses to allow builds to not help stop "one-shotting"

Agreed!

My only change to this is....as in all past TES games:

Heavy Armor should effect movement speed

The more your wearing the slower your toon moves...0.5% movement speed penalty per piece of heavy armor sounds about right.

This means wearing 7 pieces of heavy armor you will move 3.5% slower then someone in Light or Medium...i think thats a fair trade off for what boosts Heavy Armor has gotten.

Heavy Armor didn't just get a mitigation boost(which it needed) it got a huge DPS and resource regen boost as well...its going to be the go to for most classes now.

Agreed. Mobility decrease required for dynamic pro/con relationship in wearing heavy armor.

Would need a review to make sure it's not super debilitating, especially for classes without a viable escape mechanism.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are going to have to explain why you think Light Armor is somehow distinctive from Medium Armor in that it can tank all forms of damage.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trend is not relegated to Armor effects either. A few changes to shields seem to push for blanket mitigation instead of mitigation specific to one type of damage. I believe Bone shield and Annulment will now both mitigate all damage.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are going to have to explain why you think Light Armor is somehow distinctive from Medium Armor in that it can tank all forms of damage.

You are going to have to explain to me where I talked about medium armor.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »

That's the point. You didn't. You say Light and Heavy Armor can tank all forms of damage and excluded Medium.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the point. You didn't. You say Light and Heavy Armor can tank all forms of damage and excluded Medium.

Can we agree medium armor is at a good position? That's how I saw his OP as; no change to medium therefore excempt from discussion.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trend is not relegated to Armor effects either. A few changes to shields seem to push for blanket mitigation instead of mitigation specific to one type of damage. I believe Bone shield and Annulment will now both mitigate all damage.

To me the change sounded like the protection aspect has no discrimination. But the secondary effects do have a specific resource attachment:

1) annulment returns magicka if hit by magicka projectile
    2) bone armor allows group to receive a heal.

Another aspect to remember is that sorc and annulment shield scales off magicka. All others require high health to be as effective protection-wise.

Edit: actually, someone correct me if annulment scales off magicka or just bastion. I doubt myself :(
    Edited by Minno on April 26, 2016 5:23PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a heavy armour fan (mind you, I even wear at least 5 pieces in Cyro), here are my 2 cents:
    I'm not too sure about why HA should be squishy against spell damage.
    Resistance against all sorts of damage doesn't sound out of place - possibly more magicka squishiness, then?
    I agree about the loss of mobility: heavy is heavy, after all.
    I don't see why HA warriors should not be able to dish out decent damage.
    I think what the devs are trying to implement with Wrath goes in the right direction: I think HA should be able to deal MASSIVE damage at long intervals. Damage that would be visibly incoming, that one would have time to dodge, but one that would seriously hurt, possibly one-shot. Like a huge cannon that would take time to load, whose shells you'd hear incoming a long way, and whose shells you would not, for the life of you, want to be near when they land.

As to LA, i.e. those wearing dressing gowns in combat yes, they should be extremely squishy against physical damage.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a heavy armour fan (mind you, I even wear at least 5 pieces in Cyro), here are my 2 cents:
    I'm not too sure about why HA should be squishy against spell damage.
    Resistance against all sorts of damage doesn't sound out of place - possibly more magicka squishiness, then?
    I agree about the loss of mobility: heavy is heavy, after all.
    I don't see why HA warriors should not be able to dish out decent damage.
    I think what the devs are trying to implement with Wrath goes in the right direction: I think HA should be able to deal MASSIVE damage at long intervals. Damage that would be visibly incoming, that one would have time to dodge, but one that would seriously hurt, possibly one-shot. Like a huge cannon that would take time to load, whose shells you'd hear incoming a long way, and whose shells you would not, for the life of you, want to be near when they land.

As to LA, i.e. those wearing dressing gowns in combat yes, they should be extremely squishy against physical damage.

That's exactly how I see it aswell. My point is, LA users should be tanky against spell damage but squishy against physical damage but be able to deal massive spell damage. HA users should be tanky against physical damage, squishy against spell damage but be able to deal massive physical damage.

Since Zenimax decided to make armor provide both physical and spell resistances, it made it worse to make that possible. Now with the changes to Annulement, LA users can mitigate all kind of critical strikes making it even harder to balance. I don't know how HA will go but I have a pretty good idea about what magicka sorcs will become. They will be impossible to burst through as a stam user unless you wear 5pc shieldbreaker. Good sorcs I mean.
    Edited by frozywozy on April 26, 2016 5:54PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

• Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HA passives should be focused on defense and "on-hit" effects. Here's how I would do HA passives:

1. Resources returned when hit (we already have this as Constitution)
    2. Additional armor and HP (we have this)
    3. Crit Resistance per piece
    4. Reduced Break Free cost OR increased CC immunity timer per piece
    5. Ultimate Gain on hit. (5-pc bonus)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »
    HA passives should be focused on defense and "on-hit" effects. Here's how I would do HA passives:

I like this!

This way HA becomes the "hybrid" middle ground for ESO. A 3rd way to setup builds in pvp/pve.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we agree medium armor is at a good position? That's how I saw his OP as; no change to medium therefore excempt from discussion.

I guess I am confused then. I don't think Heavy and Light should be strictly opposites of the other because there are 2 armors geared toward DPS (thus excluding one from discussion seems strange to me) and having Heavy weak Vs. spells is going to infuriate those pesky "PvErs" who tank trials and melt the first time they come across a spellcasting boss.

But as this is a theory-craft exercise, I'll bow out.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

It had reduced break free cost before they removed it. CC immunity was handling by that awesome skill called immovable, but then when it abused by everyone, they overnerfed it instead making it requires 5 piece heavy armor.

Also block nerf...

They gone too far with nerfing heavy armor. I dont think heavy armor will be useful at some point unless they undo these changes. The new changes on the pts are just experimental and I dont think they will fix the issue anytime soon.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, reverse the Annulment buff.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • MaximillianDiE
    MaximillianDiE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I've always thought HA should be able to tank all damage but reduce mobility and magicka damage (hello bloody great heavy slab of metal or combination of smaller heavy metal bits). Light Armour should increase damage magicka output but be more manoeverable as well as vulnerable to all forms of damage (hello light paper dress!!). Medium armour has its niche, however there isn't the right combo of risk vs reward for the other two armour types.
    Maximillian Die Caesar - DC - [K-Hole] Retired
    Maximillian AD [[DiE]
    Retired